Conquer Club

French rail workers to stop pretending to work

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: French rail workers to stop pretending to work

Postby 2dimes on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Also how embarrassing is it that you can't google blitzkrieg if you didn't know what it was?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby nietzsche on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:18 pm

tkr4lf wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:And if you go back further in history, the French were some ferocious fighters. I dunno what happened to them after WWI, but before that, they were a nation of badass warrior-poets like Vivec!

It's difficult to fathom just how much France suffered in WWI. A million and a half died, another million suffered crippling injuries. Overall, 73% of the men drafted suffered at least one war wound. Put another way, more than 4% of the French population were killed or wounded. For the British and the Russians, it was only half of that, 2%. For the Americans, it was one-fortieth of that, about 0.1% Wounds were also more horrible than in previous wars -- with gas attacks and flamethrowers, hundreds of thousands of the wounded were blinded or disfigured or permanently crippled.

Something like 80% of all heavy fighting took place on French soil, almost constantly, from the first day of the war to the last, and much of it was in heavily-populated areas. The incessant artillery barrage levelled entire hills, turned forests into deserts and farmland into swampland. Entire villages and even a few mid-sized towns essentially vanished. Even today, there are districts that are permanently closed to resettlement because you can't put a shovel in the ground without hitting a dead body.

The generation of generals who surrendered in WWII were young officers in WWI. They had all seen the carnage firsthand and been scarred by it. They made a rational decision that they weren't willing to put their country through that kind of suffering a second time. I honestly don't think they can be fairly judged by anyone who hasn't seen what they saw.

Well when you put it like that, it almost sounds reasonable.

Seems like WWI was like the American Civil War but way worse. A case of technology growing faster than military tactics could keep up with, and as a result, way more people died than needed to.

I definitely wouldn't call the French pussies anyway. I mean, they were pretty much the strongest force on the continent for many hundreds of years. And in EU4 it's easy to dominate with them. Wipe out Burgundy and kick the English off the continent and then you're free to do just about whatever you want. Get those badass military national ideas and your forces of about 80k can easily take on Austria/Hungary and the whole of the HRE with no problems. Convince Spain to ally with you and it's possible to take over all of mainland Europe.

it was pretty clever if you ask me. ship away and store their gold for when the war is over.. and avoid more french deaths. americans tend to repeat the same thing but the wars were not fought on their country.

great britain retreated too, they had an island to regain strenght.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby betiko on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 am

jonesthecurl wrote:OK, so moving away from awesome sex and back to food, here's how to make a proper "roast potato". Sorry it took a while, but it's tax season and there was some dull stuff to deal with.

Anything marked thus* is optional, but it'll not reach jonesey standards if you don't use it.

First item: What sort of potato?
It needs to be white, it needs to be big (at least 12 oz for each spud) and it needs to be a floury potato not a waxy one. In the UK I would use either a King Edward or a Maris Piper. Haven't quite found the right one here but a Russett will do - at the end of the day, pick a spud that you'd use for a baked/ jacket potato.

Peel the potatoes, and cut them into about 4-oz chunks.

Put on a big pot of water to boil, adding a pinch of salt for each potato and *two strands of saffron per potato, and *1 bay leaf.

Add the chunked potatoes, cover the pan, and turn the temperature down so that it's simmering rather than jumping about.

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F ( check if your oven setting really works with an oven thermometer - I couldn't get it right at the current house until I discovered that the temperature control doesn't really work) . Put in the pan that you'll be roasting with, filled with whatever fat you're using. Best is beef dripping, or duck or goose fat - but rapeseed/canola will work fine. Do NOT use EVOO, it burns at too low a temperature. there should be about a quarter inch of fat or oil in the pan.

Once the potatoes have been on for a while, check 'em. After about 10-15 minutes they should not be falling apart, but should be soft enough to stick a fork in easily.

Remove the potatoes from the water. Don't throw the water away, you have the beginning of a great stock right there to make a soup out of later, or even the gravy for the meal you're cooking right now.

Drain 'em, and then dredge 'em with a little flour you've seasoned with small amounts of salt, pepper, and *garlic powder. Sometimes, instead of using flour, I use potato flour or powdered mash.

Now put them in the pan in the hot oil/fat. Careful, they may spit. Spoon fat over the spuds and return to the oven.

After 30 minutes, baste them.

After another 30 minutes they should be just right. Are they golden and crispy on the outside? If yes, perfect. If not, turn up the heat a little and rturn them to the oven for a few minutes while you plate everything else.

there's like half the ingredients I don't know (would probably need a translation), then all the measures in barbaric system I can't be bothered to translate into normal. Then the garlic powder that made you lose all your street cred, man.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am

tkr4lf wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:And if you go back further in history, the French were some ferocious fighters. I dunno what happened to them after WWI, but before that, they were a nation of badass warrior-poets like Vivec!

It's difficult to fathom just how much France suffered in WWI. A million and a half died, another million suffered crippling injuries. Overall, 73% of the men drafted suffered at least one war wound. Put another way, more than 4% of the French population were killed or wounded. For the British and the Russians, it was only half of that, 2%. For the Americans, it was one-fortieth of that, about 0.1% Wounds were also more horrible than in previous wars -- with gas attacks and flamethrowers, hundreds of thousands of the wounded were blinded or disfigured or permanently crippled.

Something like 80% of all heavy fighting took place on French soil, almost constantly, from the first day of the war to the last, and much of it was in heavily-populated areas. The incessant artillery barrage levelled entire hills, turned forests into deserts and farmland into swampland. Entire villages and even a few mid-sized towns essentially vanished. Even today, there are districts that are permanently closed to resettlement because you can't put a shovel in the ground without hitting a dead body.

The generation of generals who surrendered in WWII were young officers in WWI. They had all seen the carnage firsthand and been scarred by it. They made a rational decision that they weren't willing to put their country through that kind of suffering a second time. I honestly don't think they can be fairly judged by anyone who hasn't seen what they saw.

Well when you put it like that, it almost sounds reasonable.

Seems like WWI was like the American Civil War but way worse. A case of technology growing faster than military tactics could keep up with, and as a result, way more people died than needed to.

I definitely wouldn't call the French pussies anyway. I mean, they were pretty much the strongest force on the continent for many hundreds of years. And in EU4 it's easy to dominate with them. Wipe out Burgundy and kick the English off the continent and then you're free to do just about whatever you want. Get those badass military national ideas and your forces of about 80k can easily take on Austria/Hungary and the whole of the HRE with no problems. Convince Spain to ally with you and it's possible to take over all of mainland Europe.

Yes, even today there are some parts of france where the trench wars happened where people don't even cultivate the land or whatever. Too many bombs and mines in the ground; there has been countless victims post WWI of those remains; once in a while some small town has to dig out some old WWI bomb some farmer found in his land. We can't imagine how much of a massacre that was.

Petain was actually a war hero during WWI.

Anyways, you also have to consider something. A lot of people hated the jews in france too; they had been used as scapegoats too, just like in germany. A big part of the popluation wasn't too hard to convince in that sense. Countries such as spain or italy were easy allies for germany, and britain being an island couldn't be invaded that easy... Germany had been humiliated by france during the peace treaty of WWI and germans wanted a revege on france quite badly. If you piss off someone, and that someone prepares a revenge during years and years.... You might not anticipate correctly how, when and where he will strike.
I never really understood this whole anglosaxon thing about french surrending easily (i kind of learned that on CC) but I guess it's how you guys have been taught in school, with probably the typical smart ass at the back of the class making a joke about french surrending during the class. Kind of like this guy who showed up out of nowhere in this thread thinking what he said was somehow witty.
I kind of feel like I have one of these americans in front of me that go like "hey I know french, "voolayvoucoochayavecmwaseswar" what does it mean?". You can't imagine how many americans tell you that phrase, so proud of themselveskind of waiting for a pat on the back. I'm sure this guy is one of those. :lol:
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 am

Je joue a la piscine.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 am

Montre moi le poulet.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby tkr4lf on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:51 am

L'homme nage.

That's one of the few phrases I remember from my week or two with rosetta stone trying to learn some French before going to visit lol.

I can also say the girl swims, the woman swims, and the boy swims!
Major tkr4lf

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 am

betiko wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:OK, so moving away from awesome sex and back to food, here's how to make a proper "roast potato". Sorry it took a while, but it's tax season and there was some dull stuff to deal with.

Anything marked thus* is optional, but it'll not reach jonesey standards if you don't use it.

It needs to be white, it needs to be big (at least 12 oz for each spud) and it needs to be a floury potato not a waxy one. In the UK I would use either a King Edward or a Maris Piper. Haven't quite found the right one here but a Russett will do - at the end of the day, pick a spud that you'd use for a baked/ jacket potato.

Put on a big pot of water to boil, adding a pinch of salt for each potato and *two strands of saffron per potato, and *1 bay leaf.

Add the chunked potatoes, cover the pan, and turn the temperature down so that it's simmering rather than jumping about.

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F ( check if your oven setting really works with an oven thermometer - I couldn't get it right at the current house until I discovered that the temperature control doesn't really work) . Put in the pan that you'll be roasting with, filled with whatever fat you're using. Best is beef dripping, or duck or goose fat - but rapeseed/canola will work fine. Do NOT use EVOO, it burns at too low a temperature. there should be about a quarter inch of fat or oil in the pan.

Once the potatoes have been on for a while, check 'em. After about 10-15 minutes they should not be falling apart, but should be soft enough to stick a fork in easily.

Remove the potatoes from the water. Don't throw the water away, you have the beginning of a great stock right there to make a soup out of later, or even the gravy for the meal you're cooking right now.

Drain 'em, and then dredge 'em with a little flour you've seasoned with small amounts of salt, pepper, and *garlic powder. Sometimes, instead of using flour, I use potato flour or powdered mash.

Now put them in the pan in the hot oil/fat. Careful, they may spit. Spoon fat over the spuds and return to the oven.

After another 30 minutes they should be just right. Are they golden and crispy on the outside? If yes, perfect. If not, turn up the heat a little and rturn them to the oven for a few minutes while you plate everything else.

there's like half the ingredients I don't know (would probably need a translation), then all the measures in barbaric system I can't be bothered to translate into normal. Then the garlic powder that made you lose all your street cred, man.

Yes, it's about the only place where I use garlic powder - but it needs to blend with the flour.
I used the archaic measurements cos most people here are American - and since I 've been here a while, I've had to get used to it too.

Saffron is safran, bay is laurier(?)
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby nietzsche on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:12 am

jesus.. you'd think the french would learn some humility after the nazis kicked their asses and made them surrender their houses and hairy women.

i hear the french tanks had 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear.. the forward gear in case the enemy came from behind.
General nietzsche

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 am

nietzsche wrote:i hear the french tanks had 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear.. the forward gear in case the enemy came from behind.

:lol: :lol:
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:20 am

nietzsche wrote:jesus.. you'd think the french would learn some humility after the nazis kicked their asses and made them surrender their houses and hairy women.

i hear the french tanks had 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear.. the forward gear in case the enemy came from behind.

Unlike mexicans, we had tanks then. That’s better than hidding under a pancho when you see a gringo.

Bazinga!
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 am

jonesthecurl wrote:
betiko wrote:

Yes, it's about the only place where I use garlic powder - but it needs to blend with the flour.
I used the archaic measurements cos most people here are American - and since I 've been here a while, I've had to get used to it too.

Yes, saffron Even if I didn’t know would be easy peasy. I had no idea laurier was bay in english, for some reason i thought it was laurel lol. Rapeseed and canola... no idea! Canola sounds like canelle which is cinamon in english so not that. No idea what evoo is. I don t understand « to dredge » either. I just realized how useless I am in culinary vocabulary in english. FU jonesey lol
Major betiko

Postby djelebert on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:51 am

betiko wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
betiko wrote:

Yes, saffron Even if I didn’t know would be easy peasy. I had no idea laurier was bay in english, for some reason i thought it was laurel lol. Rapeseed and canola... no idea! Canola sounds like canelle which is cinamon in english so not that. No idea what evoo is. I don t understand « to dredge » either. I just realized how useless I am in culinary vocabulary in english. FU jonesey lol

My english voc is bad, but my culinary knowledges aren't so bad! (mostly because of my studies in food) EVOO is Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Bet, come one, you're living in THE country of olive oil! :-)
rapeseed is "colza", canola was created by cross-breeding from rapeseed.
Lieutenant djelebert

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:08 am

djelebert wrote:rapeseed is "colza", canola was created by cross-breeding from rapeseed.

Canola was originally a specific variety of rapeseed, but nowadays the term has come to be used for any edible rapeseed strain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola#History
Canola was bred from rapeseed at the University of Manitoba, Canada, by Keith Downey and Baldur R. Stefansson in the early 1970s,[11][12] having then a different nutritional profile than present-day oil in addition to much less erucic acid.[13]

A variety developed in 1998 is considered to be the most disease- and drought-resistant canola variety to date. This and other recent varieties have been produced using genetic engineering. In 2011, out of the 31 million hectares of canola grown worldwide, 8.2 million (26%) were genetically modified.[14]

Canola was originally a trademark name of the Rapeseed Association of Canada, and the name was a condensation of "Can" from Canada and "ola" from other vegetable oils like Mazola,[15] but is now a generic term for edible varieties of rapeseed oil in North America and Australia.

A definition of "canola" is codified in Canadian law[citation needed]. According to the Canola Council of Canada, an industry association, the "official" definition of "canola" is:

"Seeds of the genus Brassica (Brassica napus, Brassica rapa or Brassica juncea) from which the oil shall contain less than 2% erucic acid in its fatty acid profile and the solid component shall contain less than 30 micromoles of any one or any mixture of 3-butenyl glucosinolate, 4-pentenyl glucosinolate, 2-hydroxy-3 butenyl glucosinolate, and 2-hydroxy- 4-pentenyl glucosinolate per gram of air-dry, oil-free solid."
— Canola council of Canada, What is Canola?, [16]

It's never explicitly admitted, but one suspects the drive to expand the use of "canola" in place of "rape" is a big of marketing jingo. Now that Latin is no longer taught in schools, very few people know that the name of the rape plant has a long pedigree going back to Latin 'rapum' and has nothing at all to do with the English verb 'rape'.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby tkr4lf on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:29 am

Dukasaur wrote:
djelebert wrote:rapeseed is "colza", canola was created by cross-breeding from rapeseed.

Canola was originally a specific variety of rapeseed, but nowadays the term has come to be used for any edible rapeseed strain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola#History
Canola was bred from rapeseed at the University of Manitoba, Canada, by Keith Downey and Baldur R. Stefansson in the early 1970s,[11][12] having then a different nutritional profile than present-day oil in addition to much less erucic acid.[13]

A variety developed in 1998 is considered to be the most disease- and drought-resistant canola variety to date. This and other recent varieties have been produced using genetic engineering. In 2011, out of the 31 million hectares of canola grown worldwide, 8.2 million (26%) were genetically modified.[14]

Canola was originally a trademark name of the Rapeseed Association of Canada, and the name was a condensation of "Can" from Canada and "ola" from other vegetable oils like Mazola,[15] but is now a generic term for edible varieties of rapeseed oil in North America and Australia.

A definition of "canola" is codified in Canadian law[citation needed]. According to the Canola Council of Canada, an industry association, the "official" definition of "canola" is:

"Seeds of the genus Brassica (Brassica napus, Brassica rapa or Brassica juncea) from which the oil shall contain less than 2% erucic acid in its fatty acid profile and the solid component shall contain less than 30 micromoles of any one or any mixture of 3-butenyl glucosinolate, 4-pentenyl glucosinolate, 2-hydroxy-3 butenyl glucosinolate, and 2-hydroxy- 4-pentenyl glucosinolate per gram of air-dry, oil-free solid."
— Canola council of Canada, What is Canola?, [16]

It's never explicitly admitted, but one suspects the drive to expand the use of "canola" in place of "rape" is a big of marketing jingo. Now that Latin is no longer taught in schools, very few people know that the name of the rape plant has a long pedigree going back to Latin 'rapum' and has nothing at all to do with the English verb 'rape'.

lmao what a silly people we are
Major tkr4lf

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 am

...and "laurel" is correct, though for some reason we call it "bay" when we cook with it.
I was surprised to find that the French usually pickle the leaves, or keep them in brine. We just use them fresh or dried.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Lieutenant jonesthecurl

Postby tkr4lf on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:47 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:...and "laurel" is correct, though for some reason we call it "bay" when we cook with it.
I was surprised to find that the French usually pickle the leaves, or keep them in brine. We just use them fresh or dried.

They're good in soups and stews. Don't really wanna eat them but they impart a good flavor to the liquid.
Major tkr4lf

Postby 2dimes on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:46 pm

betiko wrote:
nietzsche wrote:jesus.. you'd think the french would learn some humility after the nazis kicked their asses and made them surrender their houses and hairy women.

Unlike mexicans, we had tanks then. That’s better than hidding under a pancho when you see a gringo.

Bazinga!

So far Mexico has never been defeated by Nazis.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby nietzsche on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:06 pm

General nietzsche

Postby betiko on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:46 am

jonesthecurl wrote:...and "laurel" is correct, though for some reason we call it "bay" when we cook with it.

No way. We use them fresh or dried too. Maybe that's a northern french thing which I m unaware of, but honestly I didn't even know they used laurel in their dishes. It's used a lot in southern french cuisine.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:48 am

tkr4lf wrote:

They're good in soups and stews. Don't really wanna eat them but they impart a good flavor to the liquid.

And any sauce. You re obviously not supposed to eat it, you throw it away once the cooking is done.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:57 am

2dimes wrote:
betiko wrote:

Bazinga!

So far Mexico has never been defeated by Nazis.

Lol, after getting many boats sunk by german u-boats, they declared war to germany in 1942 when germany was already starting to lose the war. And obviously germany didn't really try to invade mexico.

How long would've canada lasted against a german blitzkrieg in 1939 had germany been their next door neighbour by the way?
People are just so funny.
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:29 am

betiko wrote:How long would've canada lasted against a german blitzkrieg in 1939 had germany been their next door neighbour by the way?

Lol, it's not even that your bizarro version of history is interesting, nor your inability to spell Germany (twice if you count your "german") or indeed Canada.

It's also this:

Lol, after getting many boats sunk by german u-boats, they declared war to germany in 1942 when germany was already starting to lose the war. And obviously germany didn't really try to invade mexico.

Yeah, mate, have a good long think about why the Nazis didn't try to invade Mexico in 1942. I promise, it'll come to you.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mrswdk on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:33 am

Symmetry wrote:
betiko wrote:How long would've canada lasted against a german blitzkrieg in 1939 had germany been their next door neighbour by the way?

Lol, it's not even that your bizarro version of history is interesting, nor your inability to spell Germany (twice if you count your "german") or indeed Canada.

He spelled them correctly, he just didn't capitalize them.

Symmetry's Just Waffling!
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:03 am

mrswdk wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

He spelled them correctly, he just didn't capitalize them.

Symmetry's Just Waffling!

Is using the correct letters not part Of SpElliNg WOrds oUt? Did you think this was a spelling bee?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,