Conquer Club

Mandatory use of ISO 8601

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Mandatory use of ISO 8601

Postby GoranZ on Sat May 12, 2018 11:45 am

Concise description:
Mandatory use of ISO 8601 when publishing official CC topics/posts.

Specifics/Details:
According to ISO 8601 there is only one internationally accepted date format YYYY-MM-DD

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
Since this site has members from all around the globe that use different local data format the site has to use one standardized date format. ISO 8601 is globally accepted as such.
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
Brigadier GoranZ

Re: Mandatory use of ISO 8601

Postby Dukasaur on Sat May 12, 2018 1:19 pm

CC is not ISO-compliant. I'm ready to resign.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Mad777 on Sat May 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I thought that was initialy a joke seeing your post from the Tribe Forum but I guess you are being serious about it....lol

....I can copy/paste many quote and for both Canada & USA but the majority says:

As someone who grew up in Canada close to the American boarder, for informal dates (school assignments, notes, etc), both DD/MM/YYYY and MM/DD/YYYY would be acceptable. *Canadian passports actually spell out the month, but it's still between the day and year

Or

In the United States, dates are traditionally written in the "month-day-year" order, with neither increasing nor decreasing order of significance

Make your choice :lol:
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Evil Semp on Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Now someone wants to turn CC into a Datetateorship.

I like the date, month and year format.
Sergeant 1st Class Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby IcePack on Sat May 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Month, day, year. Or lesser but still acceptable, Day month year.

Never start w the year that’s just weird

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby GoranZ on Sat May 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Mad777 wrote:I thought that was initialy a joke seeing your post from the Tribe Forum but I guess you are being serious about it....lol

....I can copy/paste many quote and for both Canada & USA but the majority says:

As someone who grew up in Canada close to the American boarder, for informal dates (school assignments, notes, etc), both DD/MM/YYYY and MM/DD/YYYY would be acceptable. *Canadian passports actually spell out the month, but it's still between the day and year

Or

In the United States, dates are traditionally written in the "month-day-year" order, with neither increasing nor decreasing order of significance

The Government of Canada recommends ISO 8601.

Official format in my country is DD.MM.YYYY and although over half* of the population on the globe uses that format and only 25%* of the worlds population use YYYY/MM/DD I still prefer ISO 8601(YYYY/MM/DD) for practical reasons.
*Date format by country

Evil Semp wrote:Now someone wants to turn CC into a Datetateorship.

Blame International Organization for Standardization ;)
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Brigadier GoranZ

Postby IcePack on Sat May 12, 2018 8:38 pm

I certainly won’t be using that for clan events lol

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby GoranZ on Sat May 12, 2018 9:11 pm

IcePack wrote:I certainly won’t be using that for clan events lol

That is one of the problem... CC is using it(which is correct): Active War, [CC8] the Fallen vs Spelunkers of Hell - Mar 2018. Started 2018-04-16 Ended 2018-05-12. Played over 2 Rounds.
So if the official records are in compliance with ISO 8601 why other titles/posts to have different date format which will be chosen by the organizer. European organizer will use one format, American one will use another, and in the end we will have confusion.

Brigadier GoranZ

Postby IcePack on Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 pm

GoranZ wrote:
IcePack wrote:I certainly won’t be using that for clan events lol

That is one of the problem... CC is using it(which is correct): Active War, [CC8] the Fallen vs Spelunkers of Hell - Mar 2018. Started 2018-04-16 Ended 2018-05-12. Played over 2 Rounds.
So if the official records are in compliance with ISO 8601 why other titles/posts to have different date format which will be chosen by the organizer. European organizer will use one format, American one will use another, and in the end we will have confusion.

That part is automated, nothing can be done about that. The other parts are manually input and why they are correct :p

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Donelladan on Sun May 13, 2018 2:51 am

I agree with that suggestion. I have pb sometimes understanding dates on CC.
Just use the same date format everywhere. No missunderstanding possible.

I see you all making fun of GoranZ, this is indeed a minor point and most of the time it just takes a minute to get the correct date. Not a big deal.

But he's still right, we have people from all over the world here, make sense to agree on using only one date format.
Last edited by Donelladan on Sun May 13, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby Mad777 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:29 am

GoranZ wrote:
Mad777 wrote:I thought that was initialy a joke seeing your post from the Tribe Forum but I guess you are being serious about it....lol

Or

The Government of Canada recommends ISO 8601.

Official format in my country is DD.MM.YYYY and although over half* of the population on the globe uses that format and only 25%* of the worlds population use YYYY/MM/DD I still prefer ISO 8601(YYYY/MM/DD) for practical reasons.
*Date format by country

Evil Semp wrote:Now someone wants to turn CC into a Datetateorship.

Blame International Organization for Standardization ;)

Same format in my country as well (DD.MM.YYYY), but I moved here in US several years ago and get use to the MM.DD.YYYY / MM.DD.YY

get use to it :lol: this is a gaming web site where date format is not that relevant.

next?
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Mad777 on Sun May 13, 2018 7:31 am

Donelladan wrote:I agree with that suggestion. I have pb sometimes understanding dates on CC.

I see you all making fun of GoranZ, this is indeed a minor point and most of the time it just take a minute to get the correct date. Not a big deal.

But he's still right, we have people from all over the world here, make sense to agree on using only one date format.

Guys, we are talking about dates showing when the latest update in a Forum thread has been made.....really????

The exemple given about the war shows the same with Month & Day, yes the year is the on the left, but with 4 numbers...

Where is the confusion if you put:

2018-05-13
05-13-18

I know it could be more "complex" when the day is between the 1st and the 12th...

What exemple can be as relevant that a member would miss a game or a turn because of the date format?
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Donelladan on Sun May 13, 2018 7:40 am

@Mad, it's not only about the one thread you made Mad, it's in general on the whole website.
And yes, this is NOT a very important thing. We can definitely live without it and it won't change much on CC.
But it makes sense to have the same date format everywhere.

FROM MAD777 :

I understand, I'm just trying to think of why all of the sudden, a date format that exist since 2006, and a format that all member had/have/will have to get use to, should change....All Forum post are using the same date as I put on my few thread (post are showing Month, Day, Year), today he is realizing the dates are not like in his country (nor in mine, Switzerland :lol: ) and would prefer a format that he may get more comfortable with but didn't really impact him for the last 9 years? That is what I'm trying to understand, but not really important if I don't get an answer :D , just curiosity.
I can see the YYYY-MM-DD for the Auto Tournament Scoreboard and Clans/Tribe Wars but since the year is showing with 4 numbers but Month & Day remain in the same order as the posting then what other area within the site can be confusing? (Again I'm just trying to understand where is the real issue)
Last edited by Donelladan on Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Donelladan

Postby GoranZ on Sun May 13, 2018 8:24 am

Donelladan wrote:@Mad, it's not only about the one thread you made Mad, it's in general on the whole website.
And yes, this is NOT a very important thing. We can definitely live without it and it won't change much on CC.

Thanks for the support

Mad777 wrote:I understand, I'm just trying to think of why all of the sudden, a date format that exist since 2006, and a format that all member had/have/will have to get use to, should change....All Forum post are using the same date as I put on my few thread (post are showing Month, Day, Year), today he is realizing the dates are not like in his country (nor in mine, Switzerland :lol: ) and would prefer a format that he may get more comfortable with but didn't really impact him for the last 9 years? That is what I'm trying to understand, but not really important if I don't get an answer :D , just curiosity.
I can see the YYYY-MM-DD for the Auto Tournament Scoreboard and Clans/Tribe Wars but since the year is showing with 4 numbers but Month & Day remain in the same order as the posting then what other area within the site can be confusing? (Again I'm just trying to understand where is the real issue)

Everything explained in 1 picture, if you see other threads even more date formats will show up. And in reality you can find them all in under 2 minutes spent on the site.
Last edited by GoranZ on Sun May 13, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brigadier GoranZ

Postby Mad777 on Sun May 13, 2018 9:47 am

Donelladan wrote:@Mad, it's not only about the one thread you made Mad, it's in general on the whole website.

FROM MAD777 :

I understand, I'm just trying to think of why all of the sudden, a date format that exist since 2006, and a format that all member had/have/will have to get use to, should change....All Forum post are using the same date as I put on my few thread (post are showing Month, Day, Year), today he is realizing the dates are not like in his country (nor in mine, Switzerland :lol: ) and would prefer a format that he may get more comfortable with but didn't really impact him for the last 9 years? That is what I'm trying to understand, but not really important if I don't get an answer :D , just curiosity.

My bad Don, I swear I hit quote and not edit... :oops:
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Mad777 on Sun May 13, 2018 9:51 am

It still Month, Day, Year....one the month is spelled th other the month is a numerical format....but same order... :lol:

If that is really bothering you then let me see what I can do and we can stop going further with this waste of time thread.
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby mrswdk on Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 am

Year/Month/Day is the best format, hands down. I support this suggestion.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun May 13, 2018 2:53 pm

ISO 8601 is a Satanic plot to destroy the universe. According to ISO standard 8601, Sunday is the last day of the week, even though it has clearly always been the first day of the week. Also Saturday is the sixth day of the week according to those evil plotters, even though it is the last day of the week. The reason Saturday/Sunday is a weekend is because the Jewish Sabbath is on the last day of the week; therefore Saturday. Early Christians specifically chose to meet on the first day of the week, being Sunday. If Sunday is the last day of the week, that means the work week needs to be Tuesday-Saturday because then the Sabbath is Sunday and Christians will meet on Mondays. It's a type of circular argument that is equivalent to dividing by zero. Everyone who uses or supports ISO 8601 should burn, both here on Earth and then again in Hell.

For those who can't follow the logic:
Sunday should be the last day of the week because people take it off work
people take it off work because it's the first day of the week
Therefore:
Sunday should be the last day of the week because it's the first day of the week
= 666
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm

GoranZ wrote:The Government of Canada recommends ISO 8601.

The Government of Canada also recommends rapefugees and outlawing male/female gender distinctions.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby GoranZ on Sun May 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Mad777 wrote:It still Month, Day, Year....one the month is spelled th other the month is a numerical format....but same order... :lol:

If that is really bothering you then let me see what I can do and we can stop going further with this waste of time thread.

Please look at the other threads, their topics have different date formats(Example: Cheme's Leap Ladder - Updated 31/3/17 )
And there are past events where its impossible to determine what is the exact date of the event's title [CC8] R2: FOED (24) vs LOW (19) - FOED Wins! - Final 5/10/18

Mad you are taking this personally, because first time I mentioned it was on a thread which you are managing. But regardless of your reaction the problem will not fade away, it will be present, and people will waste time figuring out which date format the manager of the thread used.

DoomYoshi wrote:
GoranZ wrote:The Government of Canada recommends ISO 8601.

The Government of Canada also recommends rapefugees and outlawing male/female gender distinctions.

Non related topic, please use the appropriate thread ;)
Last edited by GoranZ on Sun May 13, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brigadier GoranZ

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Donelladan wrote:I agree with that suggestion. I have pb sometimes understanding dates on CC.

I see you all making fun of GoranZ, this is indeed a minor point and most of the time it just takes a minute to get the correct date. Not a big deal.

I'm not making fun of Goran. More like I'm making fun of the situation.

The Americans still refuse to start using the Metric System. They're not likely to bow down to European dating conventions. As long as Americans are 49.7% of CC's membership, just have to live with their quirks.

Hell, I can't even get my own wife to use a 24-hour clock!
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby GoranZ on Sun May 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

The Americans still refuse to start using the Metric System. They're not likely to bow down to European dating conventions. As long as Americans are 49.7% of CC's membership, just have to live with their quirks.

But ISO's 8601 format YYYY-MM-DD is not European format. From Europe only Hungary and Lithuania use it, others use DD-MM-YYYY.

Brigadier GoranZ

Postby IcePack on Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

I don’t think either Mad or I are actually Americans lol maybe idk, but I thought he was Euro and I’m Canadian. Year first is one of the silliest things I think I’ve ever seen and there’s 0% chance of me following that cuz it’s ridiculous

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 13, 2018 11:16 pm

IcePack wrote:Year first is one of the silliest things I think I’ve ever seen and there’s 0% chance of me following that cuz it’s ridiculous

Far from being ridiculous, it's actually the most logical system.

The size of the units always declines, left to right. Year>Month>Day>Hour>Minute>Second.

This allows a set of dates to be sorted in ordinary alphabetical order in a database, without requiring special handling for custom date formats.

If I have a set of {Sep 1st 2012, March 18th 2013, and July 9th 2006} sorting them alphabetically gives:
    March 18th 2013
    July 9th 2006
    Sep 1st 2012
which is pretty useless. In order to sort them correctly, I need to define a date field, and it needs to be programmed with all the different possibilities of all the ways dates are written.

Using the Standard, they get sorted pretty easily:
    2006-07-09
    2012-09-01
    2013-03-18

Furthermore, this easily scales to higher level of precision.

If you bring me a list of dates and I say, "no, not good enough, I need exact times" you can easily add them in.
    2006-07-09 16:28
    2012-09-01 12:04
    2013-03-18 22:19
The sort order doesn't change. The largest unit is always first, and the smallest unit is always last. Want to go millionths of a second? 2012-09-01 12:04:16.284993

It's simple, it's logical, it's consistent, and the only opposition is based on the fact that we are creatures of habit who don't like change. I understand that: I write March 18th, 2013. I do that out of habit, because that's what I learned in school. I am, however, cognizant of the fact that it's not the best way to do things, and only my own conservatism stands between me and a more logical system.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Sun May 13, 2018 11:22 pm

If someone asks you the date, you don’t start your answer w the year.
Sorry, but it is ridiculous. Might make sense as you said for databases and other such things but for contests and “regular day” use it’s totally off base

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Next

Return to Suggestions