Conquer Club

8th and final USAS Contest -- West Virginia

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What CC map best represents the State of West Virginia? (see below for reason for each)

Poll ended at Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:43 pm

World 2.1
23%
Fractured America
9%
Madness
34%
Germany
9%
Indian Empire
3%
Duck and Cover
17%
Celtic Nations
3%
England
3%

Total votes : 35

8th and final USAS Contest -- West Virginia

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Part of the USA Supertournament event.

This contest is the EIGHTH AND FINAL in the series, and it is here to determine the map which best represents West Virginia.
(There is no official state colour, but unofficially green and gold are regarded by many as Vermont's colours.)

Suggestions (see below for reasoning):
  • World 2.1
  • Fractured America
  • Madness
  • Germany
  • Indian Empire
  • Duck and Cover
  • Celtic Nations
  • England

General Rules of the Contest
  • There can be no duplications. A map that is already assigned to another state cannot be used again.
  • Before a poll is put up, the thread will be open for at least a few days for people to add suggestions.
  • Anyone can make a suggestion, but please limit yourself to one suggestion.
    If the list is short, I may accept a 2nd suggestion from people who have already made one.
  • Once the poll has been posted, no more suggestions will be accepted.
  • The poll will run for at least a week.
    New rules:
  • The multistage selection process having been generally unpopular, from here on in we will go with simple plurality of votes. Personally, I'm a big believer in multistage selection procedures, but I don't want to be constantly at odds with the community which ultimately I'm here to serve.
  • The person who made the winning suggestion will get a GA medal.
  • Everyone who makes a suggestion which wins 1% or more of the vote, will get a cash prize, 10 credits for each percent. In other words, 1% of the vote gets you 10 credits, 27% of the vote gets you 270 credits, etc.
  • No attempt will be made to correct rounding errors. What You See Is What You Get. Thus, the total prize might not be exactly 1000 credits, although it will probably be close to that.
  • The Community Team will no longer be involved in the final selection. However, there are special prizes from the Community Team. After everyone has made their argument in favour of their suggestion, the members of the Community Team will be polled about which argument they found most convincing. Each member of the Community Team will have an extra 50 credits to allocate to one or more arguments presented, except their own.
  • Anyone who posts anything useful in the thread -- a suggestion, an argument for or against a suggestions, a general comment, a factual correction, pretty much anything useful, will be entered into a random draw for a yellow star, to be drawn as soon as the poll ends.
  • A lot of people have made suggestions in other places (one of the other threads, or by PM). In the past I scoured everywhere for older suggestions. I just don't have time to do that this time around, so even if you mad a suggestion in the past, you must make it again IN THIS THREAD. If it comes down to an issue of precedence, older suggestions will still be honoured, but you must post a link to the place where you made the original suggestion.

Let's see if we can get past 10 suggestions this time around. What map do you think of when you think West Virginia?

show: states already decided
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: 8th and final USAS Contest -- West Virginia

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Previous suggestions:
Both jmyork82 and groovysmurf suggested King of the Mountains for West Virginia. However, that suggestion is now dead as KOTM has been used for Vermont.
DoomYoshi suggested World 2.1.
Other than that I have no previous suggestions logged.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby GaryDenton on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:45 am

The obvious map is The American Civil War despite the fact that is also used for VIrginia.
The American Civil War was about the country being torn apart and VIrginia being torn apart and West Virginia being created.
At the beginning of the Civil War there was one Virginia, having West Virginia also having the same map seems appropriate.

--- In the event there is insistance that the maps cannot duplicate another state -> Fractured America.
Corporal GaryDenton

Postby thelord on Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 am

MADNESS - the first song i think of when i hear west v is - take me home country road and my home is a madhouse!
Lieutenant thelord

Postby misteryforall on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:09 am

Put some Virgin(ia) map as name say...... hole...there a lot of map can represent that name(not country)
Captain misteryforall

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:04 am

The reason for world 2.1 is because John Denver's song "Country Roads" is universally famous, in a way that American songs sometimes aren't. West Virginia is the most American of the States, and therefore the worldwide symbol of USA.
Here it is in Japan:
show

Czechia:
show

Jamaica:
show

Italy:
show

France:
show

Romania:
show

Germany:
show

England:
show

South Asia:
show

The Entire World:
show

There are other versions, but that should be enough to make my point. I don't even want to play World 2.1 because I like small maps, but West Virginia is every country in the world, and only a map of the entire world can cover it. It is the Garden of Eden, Shangri-La, Atlantis and Utopia all in one. Everyone in the world wants to go home to West Virginia, whether they know it or not.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby jfm10 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:10 am

Germany map

The five largest ancestry groups in West Virginia are: German (18.9%), Irish (15.1%) American (12.9%), English (11.8%) and Italian (4.7%)[67][68] In the 2000 Census People who identified their ethnicity as simply American made up 18.7% of the population.[69] The majority of these people are of Scots-Irish ancestry, or of English descent
Corporal jfm10

Postby Kevi on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:22 am

Indian Empire because In the 1670s during the Beaver Wars, the powerful Iroquois, five allied nations based in present-day New York and Pennsylvania, drove out other American Indian tribes from the region in order to reserve the upper Ohio Valley as a hunting ground, and the early white pioneers thought they were in India anyway.
Captain Kevi

Postby ZaBeast on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:09 am

I propose Duck and cover
West Virginia will be the location of the upcoming fallout 76 game

Fom the official site
Mountain Splendorland
All-new graphics, lighting and landscape technology brings to life six distinct West Virginia regions. From the forests of Appalachia to the noxious crimson expanses of the Cranberry Bog, each region offers its own risks and rewards. Post-nuclear America has never looked so beautiful!

show: lyrics of the song of tthe trailer

(duck and cover because of the nukes, obviously)
Brigadier ZaBeast

Postby TX AG 90 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Kevi wrote:Indian Empire because In the 1670s during the Beaver Wars, the powerful Iroquois, five allied nations based in present-day New York and Pennsylvania, drove out other American Indian tribes from the region in order to reserve the upper Ohio Valley as a hunting ground, and the early white pioneers thought they were in India anyway.

He's doing it again!
Private TX AG 90

Postby Kevi on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:07 am

TX AG 90 wrote:
Kevi wrote:Indian Empire because In the 1670s during the Beaver Wars, the powerful Iroquois, five allied nations based in present-day New York and Pennsylvania, drove out other American Indian tribes from the region in order to reserve the upper Ohio Valley as a hunting ground, and the early white pioneers thought they were in India anyway.

He's doing it again!

That's from Wikipedia :lol:
Captain Kevi

Postby mrswdk on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Scandinavia, because West Virginia is the third whitest state in America.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Sirius Kase on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Celtic Nations, Bluegrass and Celtic music are practically the same thing except for the addition of the banjo. It's because of how the Scott Irish immigrants headed for the hills instead of staying on the coast.
[img]https://s24.postimg.org/6rwmdezkl/signature-_IWWYL8_P7.png[/img]
Private 1st Class Sirius Kase

Postby bdb on Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Madness (because one of the main tourist attractions in West Virginia is
Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum: Former hospital-turned-landmark in Weston, West Virginia.)

OR

England (since it takes its state name from the Virgin Queen of England)
The truth shall make ye fret -- Terry Pratchett
Sergeant 1st Class bdb

Postby mrswdk on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Sirius Kase wrote:Celtic Nations, Bluegrass and Celtic music are practically the same thing except for the addition of the banjo. It's because of how the Scott Irish immigrants headed for the hills instead of staying on the coast.

Celtic music? That’s like saying ‘Asian music’.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Kevi on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 pm

mrswdk wrote:Scandinavia, because West Virginia is the third whitest state in America.

scandinavia is now part of greater syria :cry:
Captain Kevi

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. Poll has been added.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby HitRed on Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:29 pm

I love the Madness map.
Captain HitRed

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:47 pm

I know this is closed but I wanted to give a thumbs up to Doom Yoshi for his research on a beautiful song; did you know the Baltimore orioles play it in the 7th inning stretch of every home game and the fans often get up and sing, ( at least all 3 of us still in the park did at their last game)

also props to duck and cover because of all the coal mines, as George Scott or Peter Sellars says in Dr Strangelove , or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, " Mr. President, we cannot afford to have a mine shaft gap "
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
Colonel t4mcr53s2

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:58 pm

t4mcr53s2 wrote:I know this is closed but I wanted to give a thumbs up to Doom Yoshi for his research on a beautiful song; did you know the Baltimore orioles play it in the 7th inning stretch of every home game and the fans often get up and sing, ( at least all 3 of us still in the park did at their last game)

also props to duck and cover because of all the coal mines, as George Scott or Peter Sellars says in Dr Strangelove , or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, " Mr. President, we cannot afford to have a mine shaft gap "

No I did not.

A couple months ago I read this article which suggests that the song is actually "Thank God I'm a Country Boy":
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/38846/flu-like-symptoms-songs-seventh-inning-stretch/

Thanks for the tip though, I know these songs can change.

It is not too late though. Tell all your friends to vote for me, since I did the most research :mrgreen:
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:15 pm

Madness has won the poll and will be used. I'll need the weekend to hand out prizes and stuff.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ZaBeast on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:28 pm

There's no hurry on my side and I guess you're just busy (haven't seen any update on the 2011 WWC tournament either), but I wanted to check if handing the prizes was still on the to-do list
Brigadier ZaBeast

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:18 pm

ZaBeast wrote:There's no hurry on my side and I guess you're just busy (haven't seen any update on the 2011 WWC tournament either), but I wanted to check if handing the prizes was still on the to-do list

Yes, sorry. A bunch of things popped up on me in R/L in the last few weeks. I'll try to get to this tonight.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Rewards have been issued.

Congrats to thelord on his shiny new GA medal!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

All players making suggestions have been issued credits based on poll placement (see above).

Misteryforall was randomly selected from thread participants to receive a yellow star!

Thank you all for participating...:D
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Return to Announcement Archives