Conquer Club

Abortion illegal in the US?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is Toobin right?

Yes, he's completely right
No votes
Yes, mostly
60%
I don't know
20%
No, but with some exceptions
10%
Completely wrong
10%
Kittens are cute
No votes

Total votes : 10

Abortion illegal in the US?

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 am

CNNā€™s Jeffrey Toobin: ā€˜No Doubtā€™ Abortion Will Be Illegal In 20 States In 18 Months

ā€œLetā€™s talk about what America is going to be like thatā€™s different,ā€ Toobin said of life in the U.S. after Kennedy is replaced. ā€œYou are going to see 20 states pass laws banning abortion outright. Just banning abortion. Because they know that there are now going to be five votes on the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade.ā€

There was ā€œjust no doubt,ā€ Toobin said, that abortion would be illegal in a significant part of the United States within a year and a half.

ā€œRoe v. Wade is doomed,ā€ he added. ā€œIt is gone because Donald Trump won the election and because heā€™s going to have the chance to appoint two Supreme Court justices.ā€
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Abortion illegal in the US?

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:28 am

There should be an option for "probably true, but WTF?"
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:13 am

I don't think abortion will be illegal in 20 states. I don't think the US Supreme Court will overturn Roe v. Wade after Kennedy retires and a new justice is sworn in (assuming that happens). There may be a state law that places more restrictions on abortions (e.g. limiting abortions during certain phases of a pregnancy) and that state law gets upheld at the Supreme Court. There is dicta in Roe v. Wade on fetus viability that the court could use to restrict abortions I suppose. I would be shocked if any of that happens in 18 months.

Ultimately, I think the alarmist attitude on abortion (and pick any other issue) from most Democrats is an effort to get people to vote Democrat in the mid-term elections. However, the confirmation should occur before the mid-term elections because the Democrats in the senate can't do anything to stop the confirmation (which is probably the subject of another thread especially given the article Sym linked to doesn't fully explain the issue).

What do you think Sym?
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:36 am

thegreekdog wrote:I don't think abortion will be illegal in 20 states. I don't think the US Supreme Court will overturn Roe v. Wade after Kennedy retires and a new justice is sworn in (assuming that happens). There may be a state law that places more restrictions on abortions (e.g. limiting abortions during certain phases of a pregnancy) and that state law gets upheld at the Supreme Court. There is dicta in Roe v. Wade on fetus viability that the court could use to restrict abortions I suppose. I would be shocked if any of that happens in 18 months.

Ultimately, I think the alarmist attitude on abortion (and pick any other issue) from most Democrats is an effort to get people to vote Democrat in the mid-term elections. However, the confirmation should occur before the mid-term elections because the Democrats in the senate can't do anything to stop the confirmation (which is probably the subject of another thread especially given the article Sym linked to doesn't fully explain the issue).

What do you think Sym?

Honestly TGD, sometimes I think that you'd yell at a smoke detector going off in the middle of a fire for being "alarmist" and trying to get people to support firemen.

I think we'll see a gradual erosion of access to abortion, rather than a direct repeal of Roe. States will introduce more regulations and laws regarding abortion, and the Supreme Court will lower their standards and allow them to the point where abortion is technically legal, but basically impractical or impossible to access within those states.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Bernie Sanders on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:49 am

Hurray for 19th Century morality!

Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I don't think abortion will be illegal in 20 states. I don't think the US Supreme Court will overturn Roe v. Wade after Kennedy retires and a new justice is sworn in (assuming that happens). There may be a state law that places more restrictions on abortions (e.g. limiting abortions during certain phases of a pregnancy) and that state law gets upheld at the Supreme Court. There is dicta in Roe v. Wade on fetus viability that the court could use to restrict abortions I suppose. I would be shocked if any of that happens in 18 months.

What do you think Sym?

Honestly TGD, sometimes I think that you'd yell at a smoke detector going off in the middle of a fire for being "alarmist" and trying to get people to support firemen.

I think we'll see a gradual erosion of access to abortion, rather than a direct repeal of Roe. States will introduce more regulations and laws regarding abortion, and the Supreme Court will lower their standards and allow them to the point where abortion is technically legal, but basically impractical or impossible to access within those states.

While your first sentence is creative and I smiled, I think the "in the middle of a fire" part is inaccurate. I don't think there's a fire. I think liberals are trying to make it into a fire so they can get the firemen and firewomen to come.

My alarmism point comes from the premise that I don't think anything will happen to abortion; or, more accurately, I don't think what the liberal pundits are saying will come to pass. There is no fire, thus there needs to be no alarm. I am more inclined to see your viewpoint coming to pass (i.e. greater restrictions by conservative-leaning states that are upheld (or ignored) at the Supreme Court level). From my perspective, that means very little. Women will still be permitted to have fetuses sucked from their bodies and skull-crushed; just not as easily in some states and perhaps without the government paying for it. So really the Democrats should be saying "It's not going to be as easy or cheap to kill fetuses!" rather than "We're not going to be able to kill fetuses any more!"

Postby saxitoxin on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:07 pm

I don't get the big deal. That still means you have 30 states you can get an abortion in.

Sure, getting it flushed out might take a little longer than pulling through the drive-thru at Jack 'n the Box but it's not like it would be a huge deal. It will still be less difficult for someone from Alabama to get an abortion than to get decent sushi.
I STAND WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby The ram on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:00 am

I'm certain a speech by symmetry would change the minds of all anti abortionists immediately!
Cadet The ram

Postby Bernie Sanders on Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:32 am

Look at all the boys who think they know what's best for women.

Postby 2dimes on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am

You're right men should never practice anything gynecology related. We don't have lady parts and therefore can never understand what's best for women, men especially have no place in abortion clinics.

Just pump your semen in there and either roll over or go back to doing chores.

Leave it to women to do whatever is best for other women.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby thegreekdog on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:32 pm

Bernie Sanders wrote:Look at all the boys who think they know what's best for women.

Yes, yes, destroying viable fetuses is about women's rights. We get it. Handmaid's Tale! Other liberal buzz phrases!

Postby Symmetry on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:40 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Bernie Sanders wrote:Look at all the boys who think they know what's best for women.

Yes, yes, destroying viable fetuses is about women's rights. We get it. Handmaid's Tale! Other liberal buzz phrases!

You should read the Handmaid's Tale, it's probably not what you'd expect. At least, not entirely. You'd probably like the ending.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby The ram on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:47 am

2dimes wrote:You're right men should never practice anything gynecology related. We don't have lady parts and therefore can never understand what's best for women, men especially have no place in abortion clinics.

Just pump your semen in there and either roll over or go back to doing chores.

Leave it to women to do whatever is best for other women.

You sound like a right cuckold. Women want a strong man that takes control and a damn good fucking. I'll bet your wife/gf/blow up doll works late regularly and jumps straight in the shower when she gets home.
Cadet The ram

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 am

The ram wrote:You sound like a right cuckold. Women want a strong man that takes control and a damn good fucking. I'll bet your wife/gf/blow up doll works late regularly and jumps straight in the shower when she gets home.

You're a strange little man, Tr.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby The ram on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:08 am

Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:You sound like a right cuckold. Women want a strong man that takes control and a damn good fucking. I'll bet your wife/gf/blow up doll works late regularly and jumps straight in the shower when she gets home.

I'm quite a big man. An alpha male, something extremely alien to yourself. So I understand I come across as strange to something like you.
Cadet The ram

Postby 2dimes on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:21 am

Like between six and eight hundred pounds?

How many abortions can you do in an hour?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:22 am

The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I'm quite a big man. An alpha male, something extremely alien to yourself. So I understand I come across as strange to something like you.

To be honest, Tr, I doubted that you'd have anything important to say about women's rights, and I'd be surprised if you had anything relevant to say about the topic at all.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby The ram on Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:55 am

Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

To be honest, Tr, I doubted that you'd have anything important to say about women's rights, and I'd be surprised if you had anything relevant to say about the topic at all.

I haven't read this thread from above my first post in here. I agree with abortion until the point where it can cause any pain to a living being.
Cadet The ram

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:01 am

The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I haven't read this thread from above my first post in here. I agree with abortion until the point where it can cause any pain to a living being.

Does that include the pregnant woman?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Bernie Sanders on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:14 am

The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Cool story bro...you are one awesome specimen of a man....

Al I need is a rubber band and a paperclip.......well you know the rest of the story

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:38 am

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

You should read the Handmaid's Tale, it's probably not what you'd expect. At least, not entirely. You'd probably like the ending.

My wife and I started watching the show. I enjoy dystopias (Black Mirror, for example). My wife finds it incredibly disturbing to the point where she's debating not watching it. I did not read the book.

Postby karel on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:42 am

it should be banned,if you cant afford to have a kid keep your damn legs closed,tax payer money should never be used for that shit
Corporal karel

Postby Bernie Sanders on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:32 pm

karel wrote:it should be banned,if you cant afford to have a kid keep your damn legs closed,tax payer money should never be used for that shit

Karel, I asked to pay for your mum's abortion......but she was lonely and decided to keep you.

Yea! Karel is back!

Please keep us informed on all those alternative facts. You are amazing!

Postby Symmetry on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:00 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

My wife and I started watching the show. I enjoy dystopias (Black Mirror, for example). My wife finds it incredibly disturbing to the point where she's debating not watching it. I did not read the book.

Kudos on liking Black Mirror. Charlie Brooker is one of my favourite writers.

I get your wife's opinion on the Handmaid's Tale series though- it's a tough watch, and I'd be very surprised if they went with the ending that's in the book. It's definitely worth a read though. Margaret Atwood is a writer who really should have won the Nobel a while ago.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby The ram on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:30 am

Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
The ram wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Does that include the pregnant woman?

That's their choice, not mine. If I was telling people how to live their lives, homosexuality would be illegal. I have to tolerate it, maybe you should tolerate others decisions in life.
Cadet The ram

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,