Conquer Club

[Special Edition] Trafalaxy - Cr@w Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Special Edition] Trafalaxy - Cr@w Map

Postby IcePack on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:31 am

Symmetry wrote:Craw? Cratw? Cr at W? Ctratwa? Cur at war?

I'm not going mad, am I? Nobody can knows how to pronounce this map, right? That's a pretty big flaw right there in the title, map forum testers.

The name is “Trafalaxy”. If you read the OP, it explains the CR@W part.
But that’s not part of the map name, just part of the thread title so people have an easy reference point.

The OP even goes so far as to make it very clear for you if you read it:

map name: trafalaxy

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:40 pm

LiveLoveTeach wrote:

I'm not going mad, am I? Nobody can knows how to pronounce this map, right? That's a pretty big flaw right there in the title, map forum testers.

CR@W was an event that IcePack had been running for clans. It stands for Clan Realms at War.

So, CRAW? The "at" sign really doesn't help. It's more complicated than a simple "A", and it makes the map unpronounceable.

Plus it's kinda tacky.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:52 pm

IcePack wrote:

But that’s not part of the map name, just part of the thread title so people have an easy reference point.

You're not really being a great advocate for terrible map name ideas here. Trafalaxy is also a terrible name. It sounds like an interstellar condom brand.

Or an anti-depressant sold over the counter for people about to take a flight.

Or a kids' toy that will be banned in six months after parent groups complain.

Terrible name.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby IcePack on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:36 am

Symmetry wrote:
LiveLoveTeach wrote:

CR@W was an event that IcePack had been running for clans. It stands for Clan Realms at War.

So, CRAW? The "at" sign really doesn't help. It's more complicated than a simple "A", and it makes the map unpronounceable.

Plus it's kinda tacky.

It’s CR@W. But it also doesn’t particularly matter, you weren’t involved in the event (CR@W) and it isn’t the name of the map (Trafalaxy) so you don’t really need to worry / comment on this part of it cuz it’s not part of the map.

Symmetry wrote:
IcePack wrote:

You're not really being a great advocate for terrible map name ideas here. Trafalaxy is also a terrible name. It sounds like an interstellar condom brand.

Or an anti-depressant sold over the counter for people about to take a flight.

Or a kids' toy that will be banned in six months after parent groups complain.

Terrible name.

So your positive contribution is to insult other people’s work? You clearly didn’t bother reading the OP and have now just resorted to insults. If you want to worry about something being tacky, maybe rethink your own approach.

Not that you care or deserve an explanation as most people who were involved already know, but for the others who are actually reading the OP & thread Trafalaxy was based off the Trafalgar map. A reskin of it, in space / galactic theme. So the name was changed to trafalaxy to give a nod to the original and a slight change to add a more space themed name, while keeping both map versions close to each other on the map drop down (once it clears beta)

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Symmetry on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 pm

If I had been involved, do you seriously think it would be called Trafalaxy- CR@W?

It's like a terrible app name, but mixed with another terrible app name.

It sounds like a constipation medicine name that got rejected by marketing, combined with the name of the worst club in town.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Symmetry wrote:If I had been involved, do you seriously think it would be called Trafalaxy- CR@W?

It sounds like a constipation medicine name that got rejected by marketing, combined with the name of the worst club in town.

Pick any random game on the map, and you'll see that it is, in fact, Trafalaxy - like Ice has said multiple times.

You're still flinging around insults with no grasp on reality. Not to mention you're insulting other people's work, with no attempt to do better yourself. There's this old saying that we teach to children, along the lines of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." It seems you would do well to learn and remember that.
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby Symmetry on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:39 pm

LiveLoveTeach wrote:
Symmetry wrote:If I had been involved, do you seriously think it would be called Trafalaxy- CR@W?

Pick any random game on the map, and you'll see that it is, in fact, Trafalaxy - like Ice has said multiple times.

You're still flinging around insults with no grasp on reality. Not to mention you're insulting other people's work, with no attempt to do better yourself. There's this old saying that we teach to children, along the lines of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." It seems you would do well to learn and remember that.

That's a terrible idea for a teacher to express. You'd really ban all negativity from your students? Tell a kid that they're wrong to be angry at an injustice? That passive silence is better than active criticism?

How awful.

Anyway- this map still sounds like a bad twitter feed from a teacher who tells their students that all words are equally ok.

It sounds like an urbandictionary entry for farting in a taxi that only has one citation, and it's from a rapper on youtube.

It's as if someone literally tried to represent the idea of a word that was stuck in their craw, then typed whatever coughing it out sounded like.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby EBConquer on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about it much, LLT. He's just trying to get a rise out of somebody w/ all that negativity. I do believe it's a dig at me though. I've had only a few interactions w/ the guy and the first time he completely insulted my intelligence in LC while the others was just bashing my subjective creativity.

As a side to to all; In the creative industry, it's faux pas to insult somebody's work or talk down on it unless you bring something else to the table. i.e, "Hey Johnny, Trafalaxy is completely stupid name and has nothing to do w/ Trafalgar in the Galaxy, you should name it CR@W because it goes more in line w/ the league plus symbolic anagrams are trending right now. Like #dontbeadouche".

Perhaps we should get a group of people together and get in contact w/ the CEO of Twitter and tell them to drop the hashtag as it "just makes things more complicated and... well... kinda tacky".

Anyhow and for what it's worth, I was really excited when I came up w/ the name Trafalaxy and seemed to go absolutely perfect w/ the event. Symmetry, I'm sorry you feel like the name sounds like an urban dictionary name for farting or an interstellar condom brand. You seem to know a lot about the subject and from what I gather, you hold those in a negative light. I remember reading that you hated the names of all the territories on Trafalaxy too. You also hate or are protesting the complexities of Pi-School & Periodic Table of Elements map that are in the works. You really care a lot for this site and for the betterment of the site and for that, i'm thankful. :roll:

LiveLoveTeach wrote:

Colonel EBConquer

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:12 am

EBConquer wrote:I wouldn't worry about it much, LLT. He's just trying to get a rise out of somebody w/ all that negativity. I do believe it's a dig at me though. I've had only a few interactions w/ the guy and the first time he completely insulted my intelligence in LC while the others was just bashing my subjective creativity.

As a side to to all; In the creative industry, it's faux pas to insult somebody's work or talk down on it unless you bring something else to the table. i.e, "Hey Johnny, Trafalaxy is completely stupid name and has nothing to do w/ Trafalgar in the Galaxy, you should name it CR@W because it goes more in line w/ the league plus symbolic anagrams are trending right now. Like #dontbeadouche".

Perhaps we should get a group of people together and get in contact w/ the CEO of Twitter and tell them to drop the hashtag as it "just makes things more complicated and... well... kinda tacky".

Anyhow and for what it's worth, I was really excited when I came up w/ the name Trafalaxy and seemed to go absolutely perfect w/ the event. Symmetry, I'm sorry you feel like the name sounds like an urban dictionary name for farting or an interstellar condom brand. You seem to know a lot about the subject and from what I gather, you hold those in a negative light. I remember reading that you hated the names of all the territories on Trafalaxy too. You also hate or are protesting the complexities of Pi-School & Periodic Table of Elements map that are in the works. You really care a lot for this site and for the betterment of the site and for that, i'm thankful. :roll:

I literally have no idea who you are. Your post was kinda funny though. The it's a "faux pas" to criticise a fellow in the "creative industry" routine was classic.

I did like that you appreciated the creativity that went into insulting a truly terrible name. I understand why you want to insult that creativity too. Criticism is a form of creation as much as destruction. I have not read the names of the territories on the map, but I'm guessing they're bad from what you say. I shall take a look, though.

I sort of feel it would ruin the main thrust of my argument though- that Trafalaxy is a terrible terrible name.

I mean, it sounds like a lazy traffic light, and that's me being lazy at coming up with a joke because I feel sorry that you're proud of it. That's me idling at amber. You can't tell me this was some kind of "Eureka!" moment.

It's sad- the end is just galaxy minus the "g". You're proud of that, replacing a few middle letters and adding "tra"? I guess Traniverse would have been quite a different map, to be fair.

Trafalaxy- Cr@W
Trafalaxy- Cr@w
Trafalaxy- Cr@w

It still sounds like an amateur novelist's attempt at a dramatic name for the terrorist hacker who will blow up the entire United States. Only E.Brett Conquer can stop him (we don't find out what the E stands for till the fourth novel).
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:20 am

For what it's worth, I looked at the map, and the names, and all I can say is that over-employing "K" and the last 5 letters of the alphabet to look futuristic is more than a little lame. In fact, it sux. Or Sukz. Either spelling is probably acceptable, I guess.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:35 am

f*ck off, sym - you don't even play... :roll:
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby EBConquer on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:27 am

Wow Sym, this is pure trolling to the umpteenth degree. Not sure why it makes you feel so good to be a jerk but won’t engage you further. Good day! :)
Colonel EBConquer

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Symm, what would you suggest the new name to be if you were to name it?

If you don't like Trafalaxy, then how about Trafalgar - Galaxy Edition?

Or Galafalgar?

Or Trafalgalaxy?
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Symmetry on Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:01 am

Jdsizzleslice wrote:Symm, what would you suggest the new name to be if you were to name it?

Or Galafalgar?

Or Trafalgalaxy?

Some suggestions:

Voyage To The End Of The Alphabet- @nd Beyond!
Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
Tralaxy Kwest
Esc@pe from Litera-C
War Stars
&%@!ing Space
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:01 am

Symmetry wrote:
Jdsizzleslice wrote:Symm, what would you suggest the new name to be if you were to name it?

Or Galafalgar?

Or Trafalgalaxy?

Some suggestions:

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
Tralaxy Kwest
Esc@pe from Litera-C
War Stars
&%@!ing Space

Personally, Trafalaxy sounds like a perfect name, because it keeps the name of this map close to the re-skin of Trafalgar. It's sort of easier to group them together if they are the same map, but just different skin.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Or Galafalgar?

Or Trafalgalaxy?

Some suggestions:

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
Tralaxy Kwest
Esc@pe from Litera-C
War Stars
&%@!ing Space

Personally, Trafalaxy sounds like a perfect name, because it keeps the name of this map close to the re-skin of Trafalgar. It's sort of easier to group them together if they are the same map, but just different skin.

Finally- an explanation that makes sense for the terrible name. I'm gonna leave you guys be. The name is still terrible, mind you, but at least you were civil in replying.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Jdsizzleslice wrote:Personally, Trafalaxy sounds like a perfect name, because it keeps the name of this map close to the re-skin of Trafalgar. It's sort of easier to group them together if they are the same map, but just different skin.

Finally- an explanation that makes sense for the terrible name. I'm gonna leave you guys be. The name is still terrible, mind you, but at least you were civil in replying.

Explanation Post Above

IcePack wrote:Trafalaxy was based off the Trafalgar map. A reskin of it, in space / galactic theme. So the name was changed to trafalaxy to give a nod to the original and a slight change to add a more space themed name, while keeping both map versions close to each other on the map drop down (once it clears beta)
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Symmetry on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:16 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Jdsizzleslice wrote:Personally, Trafalaxy sounds like a perfect name, because it keeps the name of this map close to the re-skin of Trafalgar. It's sort of easier to group them together if they are the same map, but just different skin.

Explanation Post Above

IcePack wrote:Trafalaxy was based off the Trafalgar map. A reskin of it, in space / galactic theme. So the name was changed to trafalaxy to give a nod to the original and a slight change to add a more space themed name, while keeping both map versions close to each other on the map drop down (once it clears beta)

Don't bait me on this, accept my out.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Sirius Kase on Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:41 pm

I'm up for my first turn in my first game of Trafalaxy, so I read this thread to make myself more comfortable. i like trafalgar, but just from looking at it, I didn't realize trafalaxy was a reskin. Maybe it will make more sense to me now. About the name, it seems to be a portmanteau of "travel' and "laxative" or something a stewardess might hand you if you take ill midflight.
[img]https://s24.postimg.org/6rwmdezkl/signature-_IWWYL8_P7.png[/img]
Private 1st Class Sirius Kase

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:44 am

Sirius Kase wrote:I'm up for my first turn in my first game of Trafalaxy, so I read this thread to make myself more comfortable. i like trafalgar, but just from looking at it, I didn't realize trafalaxy was a reskin. Maybe it will make more sense to me now. About the name, it seems to be a portmanteau of "travel' and "laxative" or something a stewardess might hand you if you take ill midflight.

'Trafalgar' and 'galaxy'.

I'm blown away by how many people don't get it.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby chapcrap on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:30 am

Wasted my time with reading Sym. Ugh...

Anyway, I do like the look of Trafalgar better. I wonder if there might be a way to let players choose the skin they prefer? Like I can play IcePack and I’m looking at Trafalgar and he is looking at Trafalaxy. Is that some5hing that’s possible? I know Classic has had different skins before... I understand this is different because of the naming changes in the xml, but it would be nice.

Also, has this been in BETA for 11 months? What’s the deal with that?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby iancanton on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 pm

although that has been mooted, it's not possible at the moment.

watch this space for some movement soon.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby iancanton on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm

EBConquer analysed game numbers 18186410 to 18510383.

EBConquer wrote:Out of the last 30 1v1 standard games:

The person who won went first in 16 games.
The person who won was a higher rank 19 times

in these 30 games, every single bonus was held successfully by the winner in at least 4 different games, while every bonus except for the fiaris flagship was the first bonus held by the winner in at least 1 game. the first player to hold a bonus won 23 games of the 30.

given the evidence that, not only are there numerous ways of winning games, but comebacks are possible over 20% of the time, we can conclude that the beta period is, barring any last-minute objections, nearing its end.

after the map moves from beta into full play, it is the responsibility of the mapmakers to ensure that they respond to further feedback in a timely and constructive manner. to this end, it will be helpful for the primary mapmaker to nominate a map trustee to act on his or her behalf should it happen that, for an extended period at some point in the future, the mapmaker can no longer be contacted by the foundry.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 pm

chapcrap wrote:Wasted my time with reading Sym. Ugh...

Anyway, I do like the look of Trafalgar better. I wonder if there might be a way to let players choose the skin they prefer? Like I can play IcePack and I’m looking at Trafalgar and he is looking at Trafalaxy. Is that some5hing that’s possible? I know Classic has had different skins before... I understand this is different because of the naming changes in the xml, but it would be nice.

Also, has this been in BETA for 11 months? What’s the deal with that?

You got a hot date somewhere?

Some maps have been in Beta for five years now.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas