Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: CC has been declining

Postby TotoroHat on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:48 am

I am Alive!
Private TotoroHat

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:50 am

TotoroHat wrote:I am Alive!

Bravo!

=D> =D> =D>
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby CivProBlows on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:57 pm

"War is an art and as such is not susceptible of explanation by fixed formula." - General George Patton
Major CivProBlows

Postby faaramin on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:50 am

And the beat goes on
Last edited by faaramin on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Recruit faaramin

Postby IcePack on Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:18 pm

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby drunkmunky on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:37 pm

I can't believe this thread has been going since 2011. I was part of CC's youthfulness and if you think of the rise of apps/copy cats/etc., is it any surprise. There's one thing that always brings us oldies (I'm not old...shut up) back, and it's by being the best at what it does. It doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't. It has a create community - some of whome come back sometimes (sorry I don't have 14k posts Ice). It's nostalgia.

It's just a great place to be, have fun, enjoy our passion of RNG and hating oursel...I mean Risk like games and maps...

Long may CC continue. I genuinely mean that.
Major drunkmunky

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:10 pm

drunkmunky wrote:I can't believe this thread has been going since 2011. I was part of CC's youthfulness and if you think of the rise of apps/copy cats/etc., is it any surprise. There's one thing that always brings us oldies (I'm not old...shut up) back, and it's by being the best at what it does. It doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't. It has a create community - some of whome come back sometimes (sorry I don't have 14k posts Ice). It's nostalgia.

It's just a great place to be, have fun, enjoy our passion of RNG and hating oursel...I mean Risk like games and maps...

Good to see you! I don't think we had much interaction, but I remember your name and various avatars from my earliest days on CC.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby drunkmunky on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
drunkmunky wrote:I can't believe this thread has been going since 2011. I was part of CC's youthfulness and if you think of the rise of apps/copy cats/etc., is it any surprise. There's one thing that always brings us oldies (I'm not old...shut up) back, and it's by being the best at what it does. It doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't. It has a create community - some of whome come back sometimes (sorry I don't have 14k posts Ice). It's nostalgia.

Good to see you! I don't think we had much interaction, but I remember your name and various avatars from my earliest days on CC.

I remember you too Dunk...now we need to get others to participate in the forums. It may have a few thousands users playing, but maybe 10% use the forums!!
Major drunkmunky

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:00 am

drunkmunky wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I remember you too Dunk...now we need to get others to participate in the forums. It may have a few thousands users playing, but maybe 10% use the forums!!

Sadly, it's more like 1% nowadays, but you can help change that!
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
drunkmunky wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Sadly, it's more like 1% nowadays, but you can help change that!

Maybe stop with the bans of people who criticise posters who celebrate Nazis?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby barterer2002 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:30 pm

I played the game a bit back in 07-12 range. Some of you might remember me. I ran a few tournaments in my time. Those seem to be a dead or dying breed. Back in the day (when I was a boy- said in my best old man voice) a 16 player tournament would take a few hours to fill. Now it appears to be a week or more. And. it’s not that there are too many tournaments either.
Are clans still a thing? (G1 clearly isn’t). Have organized clan wars replaced tournaments for players. Or are there just not enough players!
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby benga on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:53 am

barterer2002 wrote:I played the game a bit back in 07-12 range. Some of you might remember me. I ran a few tournaments in my time. Those seem to be a dead or dying breed. Back in the day (when I was a boy- said in my best old man voice) a 16 player tournament would take a few hours to fill. Now it appears to be a week or more. And. it’s not that there are too many tournaments either.
Are clans still a thing? (G1 clearly isn’t). Have organized clan wars replaced tournaments for players. Or are there just not enough players!

all is dying, no people, no games
Sergeant benga

Postby king achilles on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:38 pm

When one dies, another is born. The market is saturated with all sort of things and people have limitless options to choose from. People try things and hop from one thing to another. They register here then leave and will do the same thing on a number of sites as well. There are so many gaming websites out there but if we have a more positive community, then I believe we have a better world to offer. If we focus so much on our differences and arguments, I think, a lot of negativity usually comes along with this and we get easily sucked into it that it reaches the point that we dwell on this too much. CC should be an outlet for chilling and relaxing, away from the negativity that eats us everyday. We need to be more positive in order to build a better community to attract more new members and even bring back old friends.
Sergeant king achilles
Support Admin
Support Admin

Postby riskllama on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:45 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Maybe stop with the bans of people who criticise posters who celebrate Nazis?

lol, why? you keep coming back...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby zeus111 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 pm

king achilles wrote:When one dies, another is born. The market is saturated with all sort of things and people have limitless options to choose from. People try things and hop from one thing to another. They register here then leave and will do the same thing on a number of sites as well. There are so many gaming websites out there but if we have a more positive community, then I believe we have a better world to offer. If we focus so much on our differences and arguments, I think, a lot of negativity usually comes along with this and we get easily sucked into it that it reaches the point that we dwell on this too much. CC should be an outlet for chilling and relaxing, away from the negativity that eats us everyday. We need to be more positive in order to build a better community to attract more new members and even bring back old friends.

well said ...however in its current state old members specifically speed players who like multi player games returning get quickly discouraged .Game wait times in multi player speed games are greater then ever creating no shows its not uncommon for 2 out of 6 players to log off site as games are taking hours to fill . Speed games are just a part of cc but feel there a real good draw to entice a person to pay for a premium membership in its current state its more of a hindrance to site . not many have the time to wait an hour to play then with the no shows adding 3 to15 minutes per player to game length thus creating the i db issue adding the same 3 to 15 mins per player that dead beats. to put it simply not many have that kind of time,back when i joined dbs / no shows were no where near an issue . i could log on play speeders as many as i wanted too and as long as i wanted to play for foe players that needed to be foed and play on .

Simply we need to adjust speed games format the same as the tournaments foes dont apply . with the limited players adding foes in the mix is the direct cause of wait times we currently face,also a resign feature would be an asset in all trench games if not all games on site . there is no way of combating the dead beat plague with out loosing the majority of the speeders the remain , so if they have the option to resign its the only way i can see to prevent this problem . The removal of the foe option in speed games is going to fill more games ,if you see that special someone ya just dislike dont join but we dont have the numbers to support a main draw to becoming a paid member .

the site is so cool the maps the release of real life issues and playing a game with players world wide.more and more will log off if we dont address this issue .

zeus111
Lieutenant zeus111

Postby jfm10 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:55 pm

Remove the Conquer Credits as a prize for monthly leaders and most improved and then allow dead beating.Now there would be no gain from db games unless you truly are losing them or you want out of a game that has no round limits or is months or years in play or the map is so challenging that you just want out of it.
Just want to add that a tournament organizer has had me foed for a couple years now so that may create extra time to fill tournaments.
Major jfm10

Postby barterer2002 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:37 am

king achilles wrote:When one dies, another is born. The market is saturated with all sort of things and people have limitless options to choose from. People try things and hop from one thing to another. They register here then leave and will do the same thing on a number of sites as well. There are so many gaming websites out there but if we have a more positive community, then I believe we have a better world to offer. If we focus so much on our differences and arguments, I think, a lot of negativity usually comes along with this and we get easily sucked into it that it reaches the point that we dwell on this too much. CC should be an outlet for chilling and relaxing, away from the negativity that eats us everyday. We need to be more positive in order to build a better community to attract more new members and even bring back old friends.

That explain why it is hard to grow. However CC used to thrive. It had tens of thousands of players daily. There were 20-30 tournaments filling daily. Clans were thriving. Maps were being introduced at a rate of 2-5 per month. The TPA was in its third season.

Probably at most 1/3 to 1/2 of players interact on the forums. When there are 10,000 you have a thriving community. When there are 3000 you don’t.

Sometimes efforts to become “more civil” have a chilling effect and drives people away. Sometimes adding methods to remove human interaction like bot players and bot tournaments have a chilling effect. Sometimes making the process for finding a game makes it confusing. Perhaps a quick start button for a standard game would be helpful. (Classic, standard, escalating, no fog, no trench. )
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby tzor on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:56 am

barterer2002 wrote:That explain why it is hard to grow. However CC used to thrive.

But the market was vastly different then. It really was the "golden age" of 21st century gaming and games in general were going great.
2009, for example, marked not only the start of that most infamous online game "Evony" but also Facebook games like FarmVille.

Then it sort of fizzled out. You have the social players who play "Words with Friends" and the real time players who spend their time on Fortnite. The rest of the potential user base is tied up with betting games like Draft King and Fan Duel.
Cadet tzor

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Another thing to remember is that when lackattack started this game, he was in university. A lot of the really spectacular growth in the early days was among college- and university-age people. That created what is somewhat tiresomely known as a "buzz" and gave it a sense of vitality.

But that age group is notoriously quick to change gears. They came, they had a blast, the got bored with it and moved on to other things.

The age group that stuck with it are mostly older people like me. We stuck with it because our interests don't change as quickly. We are less likely to jump ship (which helps) but we are also less likely to row very fast (which results in the loss of "buzz"). (There's no real stats kept on demographics, but that's my anecdotal impression. It's staggering how often I ask somebody on CC how old they are, expecting to hear '25' and hear '55' instead. We may not be a majority, but we're probably the largest single decade cohort.)

Two of the factors often cited in the decline of CC are the loss of the freestyle community and the shutting down of the Flame Wars forum. Most often these are cited by people who name them as a cause of the decline, but my perspective is that they are more a symptom than a cause. The college kids with hyper-fast reflexes who played freestyle speed have been replaced by older folk who like to take their time and think. The college kids who loved blasting each other with flames have been replaced by older folk who prefer a more civilized discussion.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jfm10 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOijG_E-5Ds[/YouTube]
Major jfm10

Postby jfm10 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOijG_E-5Ds
how do I get the picture to show?
Did bugs bunny really never say whats up duck :(
Major jfm10

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:58 pm

jfm10 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOijG_E-5Ds
how do I get the picture to show?
Did bugs bunny really never say whats up duck :(

There's two ways, but the easiest is to use the YouTube button like you did.

The only thing is to only put the identifier inside the brackets (the part after the equal sign).

Like so:
jfm10 wrote:

It's sort of like using the "game" button -- you only put the game number in, not the full link.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby TeeGee on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:25 pm

jfm10 wrote:[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOijG_E-5Ds[/YouTube]

[YouTube] JOijG_E-5Ds [/YouTube] <-- without the space
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby Donelladan on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:07 am

Dukasaur wrote: (There's no real stats kept on demographics, but that's my anecdotal impression. It's staggering how often I ask somebody on CC how old they are, expecting to hear '25' and hear '55' instead. We may not be a majority, but we're probably the largest single decade cohort.)

Most people in LHDD are in theirs 30 some 40s.I think only 2 or 3 are 50+. Just fyi since there is no stats. I think most started in theirs 20's and are still there.

I dont know anyone age outside lhdd though, maybe you analysis is right but I wouldnt have think so.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Donelladan wrote:
Dukasaur wrote: (There's no real stats kept on demographics, but that's my anecdotal impression. It's staggering how often I ask somebody on CC how old they are, expecting to hear '25' and hear '55' instead. We may not be a majority, but we're probably the largest single decade cohort.)

Most people in LHDD are in theirs 30 some 40s.I think only 2 or 3 are 50+. Just fyi since there is no stats. I think most started in theirs 20's and are still there.

I dont know anyone age outside lhdd though, maybe you analysis is right but I wouldnt have think so.

When I ran Aeternus the vast majority were in their 30s. I think in ICON, the average would be 40s.
Cook iAmCaffeine

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion