Conquer Club

STALEMATE BUTTON

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

STALEMATE BUTTON

Postby bigdogeat on Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:01 am

Can we please get a STALEMATE BUTTON!

How many times does it happen? A game with multiple players gets down to a few equally strong players. Borders build up and nothing happens. For months... No one is willing to make a move because the first person to attack and the person they attack are guaranteed to lose.

How about a STALEMATE BUTTON? Just a simple button. If all the players click the stalemate button on their turn then the game ends and no one loses any points. Too easy. If all the remaining players do not click the button, the game continues.

I think the positive affects are obvious. Less frustration for what becomes a meaningless game. waiting for months or years for someone to finally miss too many turns or just give up due to boredom.

As an example:

https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=19499418

Thanks for your comments.
Lieutenant bigdogeat

Re: STALEMATE BUTTON

Postby *Pixar* on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:04 am

Dont play large maps with No Spoils/Flat rate, simple as that.
Colonel *Pixar*
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Foraker on Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:53 am

I'm in the game cited above. I think this would be a good option to give players, but honestly I'm not sure whether I'd choose stalemate myself. I play a lot of games that go on a long time, so I don't mind if a game lasts months. And *Pixar* - that's not a response. The game allows for no spoils on large maps, so why is the solution to just not play those types of games?
Lieutenant Foraker

Postby Foraker on Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:55 am

Also - this option would benefit players who can only play up to 4 games at a time. Typically they don't want games to drag on indefinitely when there's not much action. So if I were in a game with those players, I would be more likely to choose the stalemate option to allow them to join other games.
Lieutenant Foraker

Postby riskllama on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:02 pm

how come the folks already eliminated don't lose any points? maybe split those up amongst the players remaining who have agreed on the stalemate?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby DBandit70 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:28 pm

riskllama wrote:how come the folks already eliminated don't lose any points? maybe split those up amongst the players remaining who have agreed on the stalemate?

yea the players left alive should split the points evenly so say all players are major and it a 12 player game 4 players left then so the 8 eliminated players will each pay 20 point so 160 points divided by 4 would be 40 each
Captain DBandit70

Postby bigdogeat on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:12 pm

That's a good idea about splitting up the points earned from the eliminated players between the remaining players. Hadn't thought of that.
Lieutenant bigdogeat

Postby Kotaro on Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:21 am

Decent idea, though there'd need to be a system in place to make sure it's not abused, similar to the forfeit button's requirements.

I personally believe a stalemate button should not divide the eliminated players points up; by definition, a stalemate has no winners, and should people decide they don't want to finish a game, they shouldn't be rewarded points. It is also, in my opinion, a very easy to abuse system if that's the case; join 3-8 player game with your friend, play until you're the only two left, stalemate and divide the points of the losers.

Rather than create a system that people can abuse, simply make a stalemate just that.

That being said, you can always add round limits to your games as well; nothing's stopping you from throwing that 100 tag on there.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby bigdogeat on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:36 pm

Either way you do the points, I still think the button would still be useful.

As far as "throwing that 100 tag on there", I don't think avoiding certain game types is really a viable solution.
Lieutenant bigdogeat

Postby Foraker on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Seems like there's some consensus that a stalemate button is a good idea . . . how about it mods?
Lieutenant Foraker

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:54 pm

Foraker wrote:Seems like there's some consensus that a stalemate button is a good idea . . . how about it mods?

Sadly, the mods do not control the development of the game. We only have what tools we're given, and they don't include any access to the basic game engine.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Clanlord Carl on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 am

I think this feature would be good. A few times we have had to agree to play a second game to resolve a locked one.
Colonel Clanlord Carl

Return to Suggestions