Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: CC is declining again!

Postby hopalong on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:24 pm

zeus111 wrote:be safe and well esp to our usa members the looting is some crazy shit to see unfold live

zeus111

so was the footage of a white cop kneeling on a black man until he was unresponsive.
Major hopalong

Postby IcePack on Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:01 pm

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby zeus111 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:43 pm

hopalong wrote:
zeus111 wrote:be safe and well esp to our usa members the looting is some crazy shit to see unfold live

zeus111

so was the footage of a white cop kneeling on a black man until he was unresponsive.

that was so harsh the whole thing just sucks but i totally get the up rise, what is odd is the covid numbers in now way reflect the lack of social distancing currently in the usa almost every major city is gathering by the thousands to protest. things that make ya go hmmmmm
Lieutenant zeus111

Postby berlin1945 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:11 pm

hopalong wrote:

zeus111

One doesn't justify the other.
Major berlin1945

Postby hopalong on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:11 pm

berlin1945 wrote:
hopalong wrote:

zeus111

agreed.

i thought you left the sight?
Major hopalong

Postby berlin1945 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:10 pm

hopalong wrote:
berlin1945 wrote:
hopalong wrote:

zeus111

agreed.

i thought you left the sight?

I still have games to finish. I just don't feel like starting any new ones.
Major berlin1945

Postby NorthmanII on Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:55 am

I wouldn't leave this site because its heavy on Classic Risk, I would leave it because it is incredibly unrealistic with its dice system and spoil allocation. I played risk for 20 years on the board and never saw someone loose a 40 to 17 battle or see weeks on end where dice stats are in the negative for all 25 rolls, or for some reason see the highest rank players always seem to get the roll they need when they need it most. HMMM. No site can be perfect because in the end it is a computer but figuring out a way to make that computer be more human is the issue that this site simply does not seem to have. I have been on this site for 10 years and have played over 5000 games. I have talked with dozens of players who have confirmed the same thing I see. It is fun to play on this site but frustrating at the same time. I have realized better perspective is needed by me in order to stay on this site because realism does not come into play enough.
Lieutenant NorthmanII

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:02 am

but have you talked to any good players who said that? or just bad players looking for excuses?
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:29 pm

The dice are an interesting complaint. I admittedly have been pissed about the dice on far more than one occassion but those are pretty isolated incidents, typically involving losing a game (or multiple games) solely because the dice were shit. There is a difference - sometimes you DO lose because of dice but sometimes you're playing a good player. Along Caffs point, what I find funny is the amount of people complaining about how terrible the dice are but completely unwilling or unable to see how the moves they make or the way they play influence the outcome. If someone beats you 8 out of every 10 times you play, it isn't the dice. If someone wins more than they lose over the course of thousands of games, it isn't the dice. Personally, the way I play this game has changed for the better as I have seen how better players play and combined their strategies with mine. Can you say that you view and play the game differently than you did after game 100, 1,000 or 3,000? The amount of games you've played is irrelevant if you're not evolving.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby hopalong on Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Nut Shot Scott wrote:If someone beats you 8 out of every 10 times you play, it isn't the dice; it's farming.

Agreed.
Major hopalong

Postby Davie.K on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:49 am

I know it's only a number but it's one of those numbers ...................... 9999 is that number we are now at
Sergeant 1st Class Davie.K

Postby berlin1945 on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:57 pm

Nothing about the game seems random. Like someone said, running a computer to do random for so many players is probably expensive. So what the site actually does is pick the winner at the beginning of each game. All my games go that way. I win no matter what in some games, and have no chance in the others.
Major berlin1945

Postby Pirlo on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:38 am

berlin1945 wrote:So what the site actually does is pick the winner at the beginning of each game.

Why do I have the exact same feeling? In so many games, dice seem to decide a winner too early . It is not the same as it used to be few years ago.
Captain Pirlo

Postby Silly Knig-it on Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:25 am

Try playing where luck is not so strong. Almost any map set up with no spoils, is pure luck of the drop and the first few rolls. No spoils = no comebacks. If you want to take the luck out of the game, play with escalating spoils or at least flat spoils. Those games are not necessarily over after the first couple of turn.

And I am prepared to listen to the hoards who think that no spoils is the most skill. You are wrong, live with it.
Lieutenant Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:03 am

yes, that's why the vast majority of clan games are no spoils, because it's so luck based
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby ZaBeast on Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:38 am

I wonder why a 3-carder is called a lucky set if it's so non-luck dependent
Brigadier ZaBeast

Postby Donelladan on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:12 am

Silly Knig-it wrote:Try playing where luck is not so strong. Almost any map set up with no spoils, is pure luck of the drop and the first few rolls. No spoils = no comebacks. If you want to take the luck out of the game, play with escalating spoils or at least flat spoils. Those games are not necessarily over after the first couple of turn.

And I am prepared to listen to the hoards who think that no spoils is the most skill. You are wrong, live with it.

You could make a strong argument that escalating takes more skills than no spoils. But flat rate, let's be serious.

Are you purely thinking 1vs1 here ?
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:14 am

I agree that the first few rounds in most games are crtical. The smaller that map, the more critical.

For example, if you have one bad round in the first 3, especially the first round, it is very difficult to recover if your opponent has rather average rounds those first 3 rounds.

TO over-simplify: Think of a ball balanced at the top of a hill. The ball can only go left or right (1v1) and the first few rounds tip it strongly one way or the other. The map and settings determine the slope of the hill. Some maps have secondary peaks away from the main slope on Larger maps and perhaps in some setting. IN a 3 way game, the ball can go in 1 of 3 directions, 4 person game the ball tips in 4 directions, and so on.

I think NO spoils is an attempt to minimize LUCK as a factor, or at least the strong comeback that Escalating allows. To me, Escalating does allow LUCK as more of a factor.

JP4Fun

Pirlo wrote:
berlin1945 wrote:So what the site actually does is pick the winner at the beginning of each game.

Why do I have the exact same feeling? In so many games, dice seem to decide a winner too early . It is not the same as it used to be few years ago.
Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby berlin1945 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:17 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:I agree that the first few rounds in most games are crtical. The smaller that map, the more critical.

For example, if you have one bad round in the first 3, especially the first round, it is very difficult to recover if your opponent has rather average rounds those first 3 rounds.

TO over-simplify: Think of a ball balanced at the top of a hill. The ball can only go left or right (1v1) and the first few rounds tip it strongly one way or the other. The map and settings determine the slope of the hill. Some maps have secondary peaks away from the main slope on Larger maps and perhaps in some setting. IN a 3 way game, the ball can go in 1 of 3 directions, 4 person game the ball tips in 4 directions, and so on.

I think NO spoils is an attempt to minimize LUCK as a factor, or at least the strong comeback that Escalating allows. To me, Escalating does allow LUCK as more of a factor.

JP4Fun

Pirlo wrote:

I don't agree at all. In flat rate and escalating, comebacks are possible. But in no spoils? You're absolutely done if you fail in the first three rounds. Luck has the heaviest hand in no spoils.
Major berlin1945

Postby Donelladan on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:35 pm

berlin1945 wrote:I don't agree at all. In flat rate and escalating, comebacks are possible. But in no spoils? You're absolutely done if you fail in the first three rounds. Luck has the heaviest hand in no spoils.

If you fail to take cards in the first 3 rounds in a flat rate game you will lose. No come back possible because your opponent will have a extra troops from the cards ( same for escalating, where missing just one card can means game over).

Btw, following your argument come back are possible in flat rate and escalating if you are... lucky with the cards and your opponent isn't.

Also, don't play 1vs1, then all the luck factor is basically gone. That's why people complain so much about luck on CC imho. Too many people playing 1vs1.
In multiplayer games, luck is rarely a key factor ( except when you miss an elimination in escalating multiplayer).
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:29 pm

Donelladan wrote:
berlin1945 wrote:I don't agree at all. In flat rate and escalating, comebacks are possible. But in no spoils? You're absolutely done if you fail in the first three rounds. Luck has the heaviest hand in no spoils.

If you fail to take cards in the first 3 rounds in a flat rate game you will lose. No come back possible because your opponent will have a extra troops from the cards ( same for escalating, where missing just one card can means game over).

Btw, following your argument come back are possible in flat rate and escalating if you are... lucky with the cards and your opponent isn't.

Also, don't play 1vs1, then all the luck factor is basically gone. That's why people complain so much about luck on CC imho. Too many people playing 1vs1.
In multiplayer games, luck is rarely a key factor ( except when you miss an elimination in escalating multiplayer).

I'm with Hero 6 on this one.

I think everyone is making categorical statements without thinking them through. All of these different game types are on a spectrum and the degree to which cards or no cards affect how much 'luck' is involved in winning varies greatly between each of them. There are games where you can easily card every turn by bombing a neutral, there are games where it might be very difficult to card.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jusplay4fun on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:21 am

As I see it, Luck plays a role in three main areas in these games:

1) initial deployment (in games that are not Manual placement of troops);

2) Cards/Spoils, in terms of when one gets a set, assuming Spoils is part of the game settings;

3) and the main area is Dice, as has been discussed in many posts.

All play a role and can impact one another. No spoils takes that out as a Luck factor. Escalating has an obvious chance for a comeback, especially a big one. I see flat rate as less likely for a big comeback or turn around.

What your opponent does can be seen as Luck; I see that as controlled by a human and therefore not truly Luck, as I understand the concept.
Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby TeeGee on Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:25 am

Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby jwagenet on Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:11 pm

berlin1945 wrote:Nothing about the game seems random. Like someone said, running a computer to do random for so many players is probably expensive. So what the site actually does is pick the winner at the beginning of each game. All my games go that way. I win no matter what in some games, and have no chance in the others.

Running true random is substantially simpler to implement than weighting the die on the fly.
Sergeant 1st Class jwagenet

Postby IcePack on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:42 pm

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion