Conquer Club

POLL - Auto Snapshot at game start

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Auto Snapshot at game start

Poll ended at Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:22 pm

YES
97%
NO
3%

Total votes : 254

POLL - Auto Snapshot at game start

Postby Mad777 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi fellow members, from many suggestions out there, I have selected few that I think would be very useful to be implement, for this I'm presenting a series of site wide poll to demonstrate the pros & cons to our webmaster and confirm or not the subject suggestion is strongly supported or strongly denied by the members. Feel free to send message to your CC friend about it, also feel free to post any comment about this subject suggestion, either why you would like it or why you don't want it.

I have added a section at the bottom of this OP listing "Pros & Cons" from your upcoming comments.

Any member from this site can vote, once you vote, you won't be able to change it, poll to be up for maximum 30 days.

Now, there is few "No-No" behaviors about those poll threads I will enforce, such as;
  • No trolling
  • No out-of-subject posting
  • Respect others' point of view
  • Any kind of posting nuisance I feel appropriate to call it as is

Sorry for those who feel it is too much, but understand I would prefer to have a clear picture throughout your posting and to report back to webmaster, instead of wasting my time to police the topic with unrelated stuff.

For any violation, and to those who still want to challenge the above, I will give a 24hrs Forum ban, if a same member still persisting then a 72hrs Forum ban to be given, after that it will be up to admin to extend as appropriate the next level of sanction.

Thanks for your understanding and look forward to read from you all, each upcoming Poll to be under the same format, same "ruling", as soon as one end I will post the next one and until I have exhausted the list that was presented to webmaster.

Pros:
  • Remove the courtesy rule where player is waiting 12hrs before starting the first turn
  • No more member penalized not having enough time to manually take a snapshot, while the opponent, not being aware about this feature, start right away while you are not connected
  • Ensure the ability to see how the board was at the beginning of any game
Cons:
  • Data storage space increase
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Re: POLL - Auto Snapshot at game start

Postby yvesyves on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 pm

100% in favour like that games can start faster and there will be no insults to people that don't know the 12 hour fog rule. Real good survey
Sergeant 1st Class yvesyves

Postby riskllama on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:52 pm

emphatic +1 on this.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Davie.K on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:57 pm

I don't understand the question/poll .... I am English forgive me,we are not very bright.

I actually really don't :(
Last edited by Davie.K on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Davie.K

Postby TX AG 90 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:35 pm

Besides coding resources, are there any Cons to this?
Private TX AG 90

Postby Mad777 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 pm

Davie.K wrote:I don't understand the question/poll .... I am English forgive me,we are not very bright.

The snapshot is a feature within the game which you can use to take a snapshot of the map the way you see it, so the next round you can see what changes occurred while in a fog game the log doesnā€™t really provide you much details.
This suggestion is about the gaming system to automatically trigger a snapshot at the game start, and without the player to do anything.
This way the player who start can start right away without waiting 12hrs to allow opponents taking a snapshot, or if a player decide to start right away after few minutes the game started (while you may be at sleep) you would have a snapshot in your game chat to review despite other took their turn while you were away from the site.
Ultimately and for wars such as Clans and Tribes, it remove the 12hrs courtesy fog rule and players can start game right away, not that it save a tremendous amount of time but for sure many player wait the last minute to join to be sure they can have suffisent time to take a snapshot being the last joining, in other words game would start quicker.
There are many other exemple I could use to explain, now if you never used this feature it is possible it doesnā€™t ring anything obvious to you, and thatā€™s okay. For most of us it is quiet important, mainly with 2 players game.
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Mad777 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 pm

TX AG 90 wrote:Besides coding resources, are there any Cons to this?

From my end i canā€™t think of one
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Davie.K on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:36 pm

Thanks that all makes sense now....I have never used a snapshot,but I can deffo see when the auto snapshot would be a great leveller and make it much fairer lessening any luck that is already favouring the player....sooooo...great idea in my eyes. =D>

Mad777 wrote:
Davie.K wrote:I don't understand the question/poll .... I am English forgive me,we are not very bright.

The snapshot is a feature within the game which you can use to take a snapshot of the map the way you see it, so the next round you can see what changes occurred while in a fog game the log doesnā€™t really provide you much details.
This suggestion is about the gaming system to automatically trigger a snapshot at the game start, and without the player to do anything.
This way the player who start can start right away without waiting 12hrs to allow opponents taking a snapshot, or if a player decide to start right away after few minutes the game started (while you may be at sleep) you would have a snapshot in your game chat to review despite other took their turn while you were away from the site.
Ultimately and for wars such as Clans and Tribes, it remove the 12hrs courtesy fog rule and players can start game right away, not that it save a tremendous amount of time but for sure many player wait the last minute to join to be sure they can have suffisent time to take a snapshot being the last joining, in other words game would start quicker.
There are many other exemple I could use to explain, now if you never used this feature it is possible it doesnā€™t ring anything obvious to you, and thatā€™s okay. For most of us it is quiet important, mainly with 2 players game.
Sergeant 1st Class Davie.K

Postby YukFoo on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:51 pm

I don't use snappers because it is too slow to revisit past moves. I just leave myself game notes in the chat so I know what to do at a glance.

But this is the one snap that would come in handy when you don't start first.

And then you don't have to worry about someone getting butt-hurt because they feel disadvantaged or whatever because they didn't see the drop.
Cook YukFoo

Postby DBandit70 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:54 pm

please please get this implemented this is something that is so needed I hate having not wait 12 hours lol
Lieutenant DBandit70

Postby Keefie on Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:57 am

A massive massive YES
Click image to enlarge.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby MoreTeaVicar on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:51 am

It seems to me so obvious that i can't understand why it is not already implemented.
The whole principle of snapshots is that you can see what has changed since your last turn. A snapshot of the game at the beginning is effectively at your turn #0.
The only downside is the amount of extra storage space the extra snapshots would require. Storage space is not free, and the owners may not want to pay for the extra space required.
Sergeant MoreTeaVicar

Postby administrat0r on Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:00 am

I would actually like to have snapshots of before and after each players turn. This way when looking back on a game you can see the history of what each player did, it would making looking back on games much more fun. It may also solve some other problems, like when you feel the you're the only one getting bad dice for example. This is a great initiative, glad to see some customer involvement into improving the product. I have a few suggestions that I will inbox you with.
Cook administrat0r

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:43 am

Davie.K wrote: I am English forgive me,we are not very bright.

speak for yourself moose. must have no backbone.

id vote yes. kinda dumb this even needs a poll. who would vote no?
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:58 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Davie.K wrote: I am English forgive me,we are not very bright.

speak for yourself moose. must have no backbone.

id vote yes. kinda dumb this even needs a poll. who would vote no?

I don't remember who, but last time this was discussed there was someone strongly against it.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:16 am

then remove from the site, simple. chances are they dont have enough brain power to determine a rainbow is better than 3 greens anyway.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby 8LimbWorrior on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:46 am

in favour!
Major 8LimbWorrior

Postby YukFoo on Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:27 pm

It is the ONLY snap that matters.

None of the other snappers are even needed. After the first move, you can leave yourself notes, ergo snappers not needed.

It actually made ZERO sense to not have it snap the drop, unless of course the coding was too challenging and they simply didn't have the knowledge base to do so originally.
Cook YukFoo

Postby nvrijn on Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:33 pm

Sure. I always start immediately, but tell my opponent what he would have seen had he taken a snap (generally "I took country X"). As far as reinforcements, missing guys, that''s usually obvious from the number of guys he can see when he begins.

But sure ... why not add the feature? As others have noted, there is really no player downside.
Lieutenant nvrijn

Postby mdhill on Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:54 pm

In addition to the other advantages cited, some people typically play around the same time every day and do not get on again until the next day. If twelve hours haven't passed at the time they play, they have to risk missing a turn or jumping the snap. Having only the remaining 12-hour window to play the turn makes things less pleasant than they could be.

mdhill
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier mdhill

Postby TX AG 90 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:17 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:then remove from the site, simple. chances are they dont have enough brain power to determine a rainbow is better than 3 greens anyway.

It's less skilled players who probably don't know how to use snaps anyway. They want to increase the luck factor in order to have some advantage on more skilled players.

I played a guy once in a 3-game series that took his turns seconds after the games dropped (he was 1st in all 3). I tried to get a snap a few minutes afterwards (I was in the crapper) but had already missed my chance. He refused to tell me his moves saying that was part of the game - being able to login faster than someone else.

So, I did the appropriate thing - I spanked him in all 3 games and blasted his rating.
Private TX AG 90

Postby jfm10 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:09 am

Not sure what the few suggestions will be but hopefully this one is the first implemented and thank you.
Corporal jfm10

Postby Mad777 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:29 am

I wish more people would have voted comparing with the amount of views this topic has...not sure why is so much difference.
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Pirlo on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:38 am

During April Challenge, I started a couple or more 1v1 Soviet Union games where opponents joined and went first playing right away without letting me see the initial drop. It gave them early bonuses of which I was unaware. That cost me few defeats in a Challenge requiring a 60% win ratio, so I just skipped that Challenge and couldn't be bothered.
Captain Pirlo

Next

Return to Announcement Archives