Conquer Club

POLL - Timing out Setting extension

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Apply the timing out to CASUAL Esc & Flat settings (ref: here)

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:37 am

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes : 108

POLL - Timing out Setting extension

Postby Mad777 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:37 am

Hi fellow members, from many suggestions out there, I have selected few that I think would be very useful to be implement, for this I'm presenting a series of site wide poll to demonstrate the pros & cons to our webmaster and confirm or not the subject suggestion is strongly supported or strongly denied by the members. Feel free to send message to your CC friend about it, also feel free to post any comment about this subject suggestion, either why you would like it or why you don't want it.

I have added a section at the bottom of this OP listing "Pros & Cons" from your upcoming comments.

Any member from this site can vote, once you vote, you won't be able to change it, poll to be up for maximum 30 days.

Now, there is few "No-No" behaviors about those poll threads I will enforce, such as;
  • No trolling
  • No out-of-subject posting
  • Respect others' point of view
  • Any kind of posting nuisance I feel appropriate to call it as is

Sorry for those who feel it is too much, but understand I would prefer to have a clear picture throughout your posting and to report back to webmaster, instead of wasting my time to police the topic with unrelated stuff.

For any violation, and to those who still want to challenge the above, I will give a 24hrs Forum ban, if a same member still persisting then a 72hrs Forum ban to be given, after that it will be up to admin to extend as appropriate the next level of sanction.

Thanks for your understanding and look forward to read from you all, each upcoming Poll to be under the same format, same "ruling", as soon as one end I will post the next one and until I have exhausted the list that was presented to webmaster.
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Re: POLL - Timing out Setting extension

Postby TX AG 90 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:44 am

What's the rule/game mechanic we are voting on?

The Poll doesn't have enough info.
Private TX AG 90

Postby TX AG 90 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:45 am

TX AG 90 wrote:What's the rule/game mechanic we are voting on?

The Poll doesn't have enough info.

Never mind,

I see the "reference here" link now - that needs to be offset somehow to make it easier to see.
Private TX AG 90

Postby TX AG 90 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 am

Since it's already been switched for Zombie and Nukes, shouldn't we switch it for both ESC and FLAT in order to make it universal?
Private TX AG 90

Postby Mad777 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:50 am

TX AG 90 wrote:Since it's already been switched for Zombie and Nukes, shouldn't we switch it for both ESC and FLAT in order to make it universal?

I wouldnā€™t be against that, even though flat rate mode would more penalize a player doing the timing out.

I think so far the timing out only applies to 24hrs games and canā€™t tell if speed game should mirror the same, I think it shouldn't to but I will find out if this is not my memory telling me something wrong.
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Silly Knig-it on Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:57 pm

I would benefit from it so I am for it. The only times I have timed out have been when RL has called me away and not allowed me to finish. So getting a spoil I have been losing would be wonderful.
Sergeant 1st Class Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Keefie on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:46 pm

Is this is an issue ? Might of happened to me a couple of times in 14 years.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:54 pm

No way should this apply to speed games. That's the entire point - you have to be quick enough to plan your move, take your move and finish it under the pressure of the clock. People who can't figure it out in time should not be gifted a spoil in flat or esc.

As for 24 hour games, you have an hour to finish your turn. The reference link references a phone call - you cant quick hit 'end turn' while you're on the phone? How intense are these phone calls and how long are they? And what is going on in RL that prevents you from quick hitting a button on your mouse or phone before you go do it? By the nature of the question, you've taken your turn and captured a tert so ending the turn from there shouldnt be too difficult. You aren't getting your fort because youre going to time out anyways - that said, sure, speed is not a function of the 24 hour game so what's the harm. You do still have people who run the clock down and take their turn last minute who should feel the pressure of that but that's about as small a sample as someone incapable of clicking a button while answering a phone call I guess.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Mad777 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:05 pm

Nut Shot Scott wrote:No way should this apply to speed games. That's the entire point - you have to be quick enough to plan your move, take your move and finish it under the pressure of the clock. People who can't figure it out in time should not be gifted a spoil in flat or esc.

As for 24 hour games, you have an hour to finish your turn. The reference link references a phone call - you cant quick hit 'end turn' while you're on the phone? How intense are these phone calls and how long are they? And what is going on in RL that prevents you from quick hitting a button on your mouse or phone before you go do it? By the nature of the question, you've taken your turn and captured a tert so ending the turn from there shouldnt be too difficult. You aren't getting your fort because youre going to time out anyways - that said, sure, speed is not a function of the 24 hour game so what's the harm. You do still have people who run the clock down and take their turn last minute who should feel the pressure of that but that's about as small a sample as someone incapable of clicking a button while answering a phone call I guess.

I misspell about the speed type, I agree that it shouldn't, now this poll has nothing to do with whatever phone call reference you are pointing, the link is about the OP announcing the change itself, there is a related topic from that same OP which spoke more about the core of the reason this timing out has been introduce,
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:18 pm

Mad777 wrote:
Nut Shot Scott wrote:No way should this apply to speed games. That's the entire point - you have to be quick enough to plan your move, take your move and finish it under the pressure of the clock. People who can't figure it out in time should not be gifted a spoil in flat or esc.

I misspell about the speed type, I agree that it shouldn't, now this poll has nothing to do with whatever phone call reference you are pointing, the link is about the OP announcing the change itself, there is a related topic from that same OP which spoke more about the core of the reason this timing out has been introduce,

Sorry, was reading a related thread and had multiple windows open showing multiple things, misunderstood what I myself was doing ha
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Hooch on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:06 am

TX AG 90 wrote:Since it's already been switched for Zombie and Nukes, shouldn't we switch it for both ESC and FLAT in order to make it universal?

Agreed.
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:04 pm

The logic is this. In nukes and zombies, it used to be advantageous for people to sometimes not end their turn, so they didn't have to draw a card and didn't have to nuke themselves. Essentially, it was a cheat/exploit, and a major pisser for those of us who wouldn't stoop to that level but had opponents who did.

In escalating and flat, it's never advantageous to not get a card, so it isn't a cheat. There's no loophole to be closed here.

While to those of us who don't play speed, it seems like a non-issue, in speed games it's an important part of the brinksmanship to end your turn just in time to get a card. Already there have been several rule changes which have impacted speed games and made them easier for people like me, and the speed purists have mostly been put off by them. This is yet one more change that will make speed games easier for someone like me who moves slowly. As a player, I might be happy about that, but as a mod, I'm very much against doing any more harm to an already shrunken speed community.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby riskllama on Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:09 pm

just change them all back to the way it was - if you time out, no spoil for you... :evil: . easy peasy... O:)
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:45 pm

riskllama wrote:just change them all back to the way it was - if you time out, no spoil for you... :evil: . easy peasy... O:)

Then you would go back to having people cheat at nuclear.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby riskllama on Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:12 pm

hmm...what you call "cheating", some would call "sound tactics"...*shrugs*. have fun w/this current mess you've created.

*waves*
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby mrswdk on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:49 am

Dukasaur wrote:in speed games it's an important part of the brinksmanship to end your turn just in time to get a card.

It's not like changing this functionality would create an uneven playing field. Or like anyone is doing anything so vitally important during those final two seconds of their turn that they deserve to be deprived of a spoil for not clicking 'end turn'. This change would just help making playing Risk on CC more akin to playing actual Risk, where no one ever gets told they can't have a spoil because they spent too long taking their turn.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby riskllama on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am

in my house, if you forgot to take a card before the next player started their turn, you didn't get a card.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Riskmaster101 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:42 am

As a speed player for many years, it's a definite no from me. However, the speed freestyle community is already pretty much dead due to all the changes to help slower players over the years. Might as well continue down the road :roll:
Sitters: most active TOFU members.

Active Hours: 7am -> 9pm CST (GMT -6).
Major Riskmaster101

Postby DBandit70 on Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:48 am

Riskmaster101 wrote:As a speed player for many years, it's a definite no from me. However, the speed freestyle community is already pretty much dead due to all the changes to help slower players over the years. Might as well continue down the road :roll:

yea same here also voted no for that reason
Lieutenant DBandit70

Postby Mad777 on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:07 am

All, this poll is not about modifying Speed game type, it's about the extend the current rule with Escalating and flat rate with casual game, I mentioned speed could be review if there is support for it but won't be into that poll, with game coding modification, webmaster likes the "one step at the time" approach, therefore this is the 2nd step from the initial timing out changes that were added for casual Nuke and Zombie.
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby Keefie on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:24 pm

Mad777 wrote:All, this poll is not about modifying Speed game type, it's about the extend the current rule with Escalating and flat rate with casual game, I mentioned speed could be review if there is support for it but won't be into that poll, with game coding modification, webmaster likes the "one step at the time" approach, therefore this is the 2nd step from the initial timing out changes that were added for casual Nuke and Zombie.

The changes made to nukes & zombie were for a very good reason. To stop folk timing out turns on purpose so NOT to get a card. There is no reason to do that for FR and Esc, so this change is just not required.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby chuckie4201 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:02 am

I voted "yes".
Having said that, after reading through the thread, it reminds me that people take this shit way too seriously.
Sergeant chuckie4201

Postby ZaBeast on Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:18 am

It's quite common that people just let their time run out on freestyle games if they're not to take a card. I don't particularly want that behavior to spread to escalating games as well by removing the drawback of not carding if you're not careful
Brigadier ZaBeast

Postby ConfederateSS on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:49 pm

chuckie4201 wrote:I voted "yes".
Having said that, after reading through the thread, it reminds me that people take this shit way too seriously.

---- =D> =D> =D> =D>
-----DITO...
-----I voted NO...Although I did flip a coin... ;) ... O:) ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)
Corporal ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:43 pm

I am sad I missed out on this, don't even know how. I think if specified that the question references Casual games only (not speed) you might get a different response from the overall community. But looking at the vote, it's a lot higher of a vote for no than I would expect, unless most of those people were thinking about speed.

I'm glad these polls are being done. Keep up the good work!
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Next

Return to Announcement Archives