Conquer Club

POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcement

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

From cmbdiesel' suggestion

Poll ended at Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:07 am

Yes
57
45%
No
70
55%
 
Total votes : 127

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:36 pm

2dimes wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
lexie3000 wrote:Wouldn’t this become a problem if you’re short on time, especially on some of the bigger maps? I’m not keen on a change that would slow things down.

Aye!


Only if you want to deploy alphabetically.


The point is, if you're running out of time, it's better to drop your troops somewhere, anywhere, rather than have your turn end with undeployed troops. Same thing with forts. Almost always it's better to reinforce something somewhere than to not fort at all.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 24699
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
22

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Tin Trumpet on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:17 am

i was going to ask exactly the same thing. and auto snaps...whats the point in a poll, if we arent going to change it?
Big Al 2012 wrote:Haven't voted...yet...Not sure how to vote. Have I deployed and forted on the default by mistake? Yes. Have I forted from the wrong territory to the wrong territory? Yes. do I have the confirmation in place? Yes! So in principle I'm not against the idea. But if it is going to prove detrimental to other more important suggestions getting put in place then I'll vote "no" to this one. For me, it's part of the game, and I have to deal with the "I made a mistake" issue!

Is there a roadmap/timetable for if/when any of these suggestions might get implemented?

Particularly the "who goes first in 1v1 tourney games" https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=233770 (91% in favour, poll closed almost 8 months ago) and the "auto snapshot" https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=233571 (97% in favour, poll closed almost 9 months ago).

Al
User avatar
Major Tin Trumpet
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:20 am

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:22 am

Tin Trumpet wrote:i was going to ask exactly the same thing. and auto snaps...whats the point in a poll, if we arent going to change it?
Big Al 2012 wrote:Haven't voted...yet...Not sure how to vote. Have I deployed and forted on the default by mistake? Yes. Have I forted from the wrong territory to the wrong territory? Yes. do I have the confirmation in place? Yes! So in principle I'm not against the idea. But if it is going to prove detrimental to other more important suggestions getting put in place then I'll vote "no" to this one. For me, it's part of the game, and I have to deal with the "I made a mistake" issue!

Is there a roadmap/timetable for if/when any of these suggestions might get implemented?

Particularly the "who goes first in 1v1 tourney games" https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=233770 (91% in favour, poll closed almost 8 months ago) and the "auto snapshot" https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=233571 (97% in favour, poll closed almost 9 months ago).

Al

We all know the pace of change is glacial. Nonetheless, changes do happen.

Mad777 has done a magnificent job of holding the webmaster's feet to the fire and keeping up the pressure. These polls are part of that. It's a lot easier to get something changed if you can show overwhelming support for it. Sooner or later, I'm confident that the opening autosnaps, for instance, will happen. Right now the webmaster is busy with cracking the problem of a mobile app, which has consumed pretty much all of his available time for the last eight months or so, but once he gets that solved he'll again start with some other things.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 24699
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
22

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:41 pm

I have no strong opinion on this. However, doesn't "Confirm phase end" option switched on in panel interface pretty much prevent the accidental reinforcement part? The only way you can make a mistake there is by not paying attention. Oh, I'll be honest, I've still made that error on rare occasion, but generally due to real life distraction (like someone walking in in the middle of ending my turn and talking my ear off lol.) and nothing to do with the game's interface. =)

As others have mentioned, the opening autosnap would be really awesome and completely get rid of the courtesy 12 hour rule and arguments surrounding that. I keep the rule, but it's a pain in the neck to have to give 12 hours haha. I really do hope that one gets implemented.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
User avatar
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:40 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Donelladan on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:02 pm

Dukasaur wrote:The point is, if you're running out of time, it's better to drop your troops somewhere, anywhere, rather than have your turn end with undeployed troops. Same thing with forts. Almost always it's better to reinforce something somewhere than to not fort at all.


Depends on the setting.
Most of the time I'd actually not deploy that deploy on a useless region.

Let's ensure i have to pick something every time instead of only some times...? No thank you.


I am wondering what kind of map you and other people with similar comment play.
It's definitely less than 1% of times that I actually deploy on the pre-selected region.
Almost never ever happen to me.
Last edited by Donelladan on Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Brigadier Donelladan
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 am
2221635

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby ZaBeast on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 pm

It's useful in the endgame though, when you've already lost and just want to die quicker. That's why I can see why in some occasions, such a change would result in time loss (although in very small amounts). But I think the pros outweight the cons, though I agree it's not a vital issue.
Image
Colonel ZaBeast
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 5:26 pm
432

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby FrenchPupil on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:45 pm

I fail to see the benefit .... if any it’s really low value ...
User avatar
Colonel FrenchPupil
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 am

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Donelladan wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:The point is, if you're running out of time, it's better to drop your troops somewhere, anywhere, rather than have your turn end with undeployed troops. Same thing with forts. Almost always it's better to reinforce something somewhere than to not fort at all.


Depends on the setting.
Most of the time I'd actually not deploy that deploy on a useless region.

Let's ensure i have to pick something every time instead of only some times...? No thank you.


I am wondering what kind of map you and other people with similar comment play.
It's definitely less than 1% of times that I actually deploy on the pre-selected region.
Almost never ever happen to me.


I don't know about that. I think if you think it through you will realize it's a lot more than 1%. Dramatically more.

About the only time it will be 1% is if you're playing a really big map like Hive, and you already own much of the map.

If you're playing something like Classic, you normally start out with seven terts. So the alphabetical choice of where to deploy will be right 1/7th of the time. Not great, but a lot better than 1%.

But on reinforcement phase, it gets even more dramatic. Not all your terts will be connected, so unless you're playing parachute, your choices of where to reinforce will sometimes be down to two or three possibilities. In which case the alphabetical choice will be right 1/2 or 1/3 of the time.

Since this thread appeared, I've been paying attention, and I'm actually impressed by how often the alphabetical choice turns out to be correct. That's a lot of saved mouse clicks over time.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 24699
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
22

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:25 am

Maybe that is the difference.

I mostly pick bigger maps.

I would love to play world 2.0 if it were not too complex for it to be a bot map. Of course I cannot challange them to Circus Maximus either, another tricky map... :|

Maybe another difference is I go for bonus areas and want to deploy or reinforce the borders that very rarely are the first selection alphabetically. Maybe you are right and it is quite high,* 2%?

What is the percentage of times you are entering a game with seconds to spare, taking your turn so quickly you only have time to deploy on Arabia, unable to even attack Egypt because you ran out of time?

* obviously we are using high as a description for 2% relative to well under 2% since 2 is double 1 and even more than double any fraction of 1.
Last edited by 2dimes on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Private 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 11162
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Unable to sync with satellites.

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby IcePack on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:29 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Donelladan wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:The point is, if you're running out of time, it's better to drop your troops somewhere, anywhere, rather than have your turn end with undeployed troops. Same thing with forts. Almost always it's better to reinforce something somewhere than to not fort at all.


Depends on the setting.
Most of the time I'd actually not deploy that deploy on a useless region.

Let's ensure i have to pick something every time instead of only some times...? No thank you.


I am wondering what kind of map you and other people with similar comment play.
It's definitely less than 1% of times that I actually deploy on the pre-selected region.
Almost never ever happen to me.


I don't know about that. I think if you think it through you will realize it's a lot more than 1%. Dramatically more.

About the only time it will be 1% is if you're playing a really big map like Hive, and you already own much of the map.

If you're playing something like Classic, you normally start out with seven terts. So the alphabetical choice of where to deploy will be right 1/7th of the time. Not great, but a lot better than 1%.

But on reinforcement phase, it gets even more dramatic. Not all your terts will be connected, so unless you're playing parachute, your choices of where to reinforce will sometimes be down to two or three possibilities. In which case the alphabetical choice will be right 1/2 or 1/3 of the time.

Since this thread appeared, I've been paying attention, and I'm actually impressed by how often the alphabetical choice turns out to be correct. That's a lot of saved mouse clicks over time.


This, it’s way way more then 1%.
Image
User avatar
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter
 
Posts: 15283
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:42 pm
Location: California

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:36 am

Define "way more."

Double?
User avatar
Private 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 11162
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Unable to sync with satellites.

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby bamage on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:46 am

Big Al 2012 wrote:Haven't voted...yet...Not sure how to vote. Have I deployed and forted on the default by mistake? Yes. Have I forted from the wrong territory to the wrong territory? Yes. do I have the confirmation in place? Yes! So in principle I'm not against the idea. But if it is going to prove detrimental to other more important suggestions getting put in place then I'll vote "no" to this one. For me, it's part of the game, and I have to deal with the "I made a mistake" issue!

Is there a roadmap/timetable for if/when any of these suggestions might get implemented?

Particularly the "who goes first in 1v1 tourney games" https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=233770 (91% in favour, poll closed almost 8 months ago) and the "auto snapshot" https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=634&t=233571 (97% in favour, poll closed almost 9 months ago).

Al


I couldn't agree more with this sentiment.

It's hard to give a crap about a poll like this when you've seen CC go nowhere on more important issues that enjoyed near-unanimous support for change. My first reaction when seeing it was "Here we go again."
Image
User avatar
Major bamage
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 am
Location: Fort Yancy, CA

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:08 am

So if they can fix this by simply inserting a nonexistent territory as default, like, "Choose an option" which then causes an invalid selection message when "deploy troops" is accidentally clicked, before you choose a territory you actually occupy, in twenty minutes.

They should wait to do it until after they spend 26,378 hours messing with auto tournaments hoping to fix who goes first?

What are they currently working on that maybe can never be finished? Finding 26 unique colors that all start with a different letter?

Maybe I'm wrong and it would be difficult to fix both. Maybe it will only take a minute to fix auto tournaments and they just don't care.

It's all mysterious stuff.
User avatar
Private 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 11162
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Unable to sync with satellites.

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Mad777 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:05 pm

2dimes wrote:So if they can fix this by simply inserting a nonexistent territory as default, like, "Choose an option" which then causes an invalid selection message when "deploy troops" is accidentally clicked, before you choose a territory you actually occupy, in twenty minutes.

They should wait to do it until after they spend 26,378 hours messing with auto tournaments hoping to fix who goes first?

What are they currently working on that maybe can never be finished? Finding 26 unique colors that all start with a different letter?

Maybe I'm wrong and it would be difficult to fix both. Maybe it will only take a minute to fix auto tournaments and they just don't care.

It's all mysterious stuff.

Your post shows clearly you have no clue, I'm confirming this ;)

Things are moving and NO (as mentioned above somewhere if you all would bother to read :D ), this poll was not to bring something in the top of the pile of upcoming changes but to simply add another suggestion member would like to see in the future. Prior Poll results have been discussed and webmaster is establishing plan for it.

Also, in between all this, there is always little thing that comes and easy to do such as recently updating Primitive Tribe roster showing active member and kicking those who are not connected since at least 90 days.

Again, be patient, things are coming, slowly but coming... 8-)
".....We are Groot!....."
User avatar
Captain Mad777
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 8843
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 am

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:13 pm

Oh, can’t be done?

Ok, lock the thread, sorry.

dimes out.
User avatar
Private 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 11162
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Unable to sync with satellites.

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Mad777 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm

2dimes wrote:dimes out.


Thanks
".....We are Groot!....."
User avatar
Captain Mad777
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 8843
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 am

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Tin Trumpet on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:21 am

wouldnt it be reasonable to have an UNDO button. obviously not after an action or attack. but we all drop accidentally, or fort accidentally. if you were playing in RL around a board, you wouldnt accidenatlly move troops somewhere else on the board, would you?

and i know theres an "are you sure" on the interface, but to have to do that everytime, it becomes an automatic action. so that takes away the warning. and anyway, i do it say once in a hundred, so the other 99 times i have to click confirm selection?

a simple UNDO would suffice.

Discuss
User avatar
Major Tin Trumpet
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:20 am

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby riskllama on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:34 am

a much better idea/option. if anything gets implemented as a result of this thread, it should be this. Tin Trumpet wins this thread... =D> .
Image
User avatar
Major riskllama
 
Posts: 8306
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:50 pm
Location: deep inside Queen Charlotte.

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Unbound on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:31 am

I voted "No".

A larger issue that should be addressed is, inability to deploy deferred troops to multiple locations.
Corporal Unbound
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:51 pm
Location: Everywhere, all at once, all at the same time ...

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby i-andrei on Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:43 am

Tin Trumpet wrote:wouldnt it be reasonable to have an UNDO button. obviously not after an action or attack. but we all drop accidentally, or fort accidentally. if you were playing in RL around a board, you wouldnt accidenatlly move troops somewhere else on the board, would you?

and i know theres an "are you sure" on the interface, but to have to do that everytime, it becomes an automatic action. so that takes away the warning. and anyway, i do it say once in a hundred, so the other 99 times i have to click confirm selection?

a simple UNDO would suffice.

Discuss


Agreed on this.
Maybe not to apply to freestyle games because of the attacks that could happen in the meantime, but to sequantial ones it could work very well.
Image
User avatar
Captain i-andrei
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:33 am
2

Re: POLL - Remove auto selection for Deployment & Reinforcem

Postby Mad777 on Sun May 09, 2021 11:13 am

Thanks all your participation and comments, this will go archive and not presented to webmaster due to negative results.

That is what poll are meant for 8-)
".....We are Groot!....."
User avatar
Captain Mad777
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 8843
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 am

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users