Conquer Club

British Isles [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby rocksolid on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:48 am

Yes, this is absolutely a terrific map. Though I just played a full game on it and never realized until reading this thread that Hadrian's wall was one-way. I'd ask you to change it, but now that I know, it's to my advantage that it's not advertised... :twisted:
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Nobunaga on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:24 am

.... And thus an advantage is afforded the history buffs! :wink:

... The Large Map actually says "One Way", with an arrow pointing toward Scotland. Though I know a lot of folks like playing the smaller maps -just easier.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Haydena on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:49 am

Well the idea of Hadrians wall was that the Scots couldn't get into England but at the same time the English could attack Scotland. So it figures its one way, because its on the top of large hills across the country border :)
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby Nobunaga on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:54 am

.... Modern historians argue that Hadrian's Wall was more a marker and a signal of Roman power to the "barbarians" than it was an actual defensive structure. The empire was already in decline and conquering Scotland was just going to be too expensive. (though another wall was built even further north by a later emporer - to mark the boundry of the empire).

... The fortifications of the actual wall were built to defend from attacks coming from both directions.

.... But that would serve no purpose here, so I made it one-way. :)
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Haydena on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:07 am

Seems like I didn't look deep enough into my history books :)

Suggesting for British Isles Map

Postby mingusfan on Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 am

In the British Isles map. There is a minor design flaw. The territory of donegal looks like it can attack South Highlands when it actually bridges over to Strathclyde, has anyone else made that error? It's costs me a few games so far, and a minor change to the appearance is all that is nessecarry. Is this possible?
Private mingusfan

Re: Suggesting for British Isles Map

Postby Guiscard on Wed May 30, 2007 12:03 pm

mingusfan wrote:In the British Isles map. There is a minor design flaw. The territory of donegal looks like it can attack South Highlands when it actually bridges over to Strathclyde, has anyone else made that error? It's costs me a few games so far, and a minor change to the appearance is all that is nessecarry. Is this possible?

I think the British Isles is up for revamp, so at some point somebody (possibly the original cartographer) will re-do it, either purely graphics or both graphics and gameplay, so this issue should be resolved :D
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 30, 2007 12:31 pm

Either way there is already a British Isles map thread, so this should be added to it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby hulmey on Wed May 30, 2007 12:34 pm

Feck and i thought the revamp had started. THanks for wasting 2 mins of my life dude :)

Revamps never include fiddling with gameplay as can be noteed from the maximus revamp....It now has lovely graphics but gameplay is and will remain bad :?
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby hulmey on Wed May 30, 2007 12:37 pm

And if you thought u could attack from Donegal to south highlands your in trouble mate. Can you imagine this loke getting his head aound some of the other maps on here LOL
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby PerkinsRooster on Wed May 30, 2007 12:37 pm

That flaw cost me one turn as well. However, how could that have cost you a FEW GAMES? If you keep forgetting about it then you have only 1 person to blame.

I love that map and wouldn't want to see it changed at all, except to make the mentioned line of attack clearer.
Let's golf.
Major PerkinsRooster

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Thu May 31, 2007 3:50 pm

mingusfan wrote: It's costs me a few games so far,

it cost you a few games...you didnt realize it after one game?
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby The1exile on Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:52 am

Guiscard wrote:I think the British Isles is up for revamp, so at some point somebody (possibly the original cartographer) will re-do it, either purely graphics or both graphics and gameplay, so this issue should be resolved :D

Does it need to be reone?

The British isles is a fantastic map as it is. Looks pretty damn good (doesn't have all these fancy pants graphical whatchamecallies but still) and I've played plenty of games on it without having a single issue with is (aside from that I lost some :evil: ).
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby Balsiefen on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:12 am

i despise it for its innacuracy more than anything else, whoever made it should have looked at an actual map of britain before making it.

*hampshire containes some of the most important brittish ports, it is not landlocked

*essex is also not landlocked

*the county to the side of lincolnshire is nottinghamshire, not oxford, oxford is much further south whare hampshire is shown

*lands end is a place in cornwall, cornwall is not a place in lands end (neither is dorset)

*grampian is spelt wrong

*cornwall has been squished down by devon which has been squished down by dorset

*shropshire is halfway up wales, the county in the severn estury is gloucestershire

i think thats it for britain itself....
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby mingusfan on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:27 pm

hulmey wrote:And if you thought u could attack from Donegal to south highlands your in trouble mate. Can you imagine this loke getting his head aound some of the other maps on here LOL

No need to be rude..i am very capable of "getting my head around the maps" this is just a minor problem that I thought I could bring up...sorry if you have a problem with that :?
Private mingusfan

Postby boberz on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:20 am

hulmey wrote:Feck and i thought the revamp had started. THanks for wasting 2 mins of my life dude :)

Revamps never include fiddling with gameplay as can be noteed from the maximus revamp....It now has lovely graphics but gameplay is and will remain bad :?

Revamps can change gameplay if it is neccesary but i think in most if not all maps it was decided not to because it was not needed. The gameplay of cicus maximus is the only hting that makes it unique
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby FM Harper on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:17 pm

Balsiefen wrote:i despise it for its innacuracy more than anything else, whoever made it should have looked at an actual map of britain before making it.

*hampshire containes some of the most important brittish ports, it is not landlocked

*the county to the side of lincolnshire is nottinghamshire, not oxford, oxford is much further south whare hampshire is shown

*lands end is a place in cornwall, cornwall is not a place in lands end (neither is dorset)

*grampian is spelt wrong

*cornwall has been squished down by devon which has been squished down by dorset

*shropshire is halfway up wales, the county in the severn estury is gloucestershire

Didn't really notice these glaring insults to British geography but I must agree... looking at a simple map of GB & Ireland you can see that life is drastically different to what is represented in this map. That said I do like playing on the British Isles.
Cadet FM Harper

Postby hulmey on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:19 am

its the bollocks
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby iancanton on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:44 am

i think the designer must dislike the english midlands because he's left out virtually all of it!

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Balsiefen on Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:49 pm

FM Harper wrote:
Balsiefen wrote:i despise it for its innacuracy more than anything else, whoever made it should have looked at an actual map of britain before making it.

*grampian is spelt wrong

Didn't really notice these glaring insults to British geography but I must agree... looking at a simple map of GB & Ireland you can see that life is drastically different to what is represented in this map. That said I do like playing on the British Isles.

I agree, all it needs are a few names changing on the origional map, nothing very hard

anyway, when is the map maker going to do this? Keyogi has said he wishis to make the changes himself instead of letting anyone elso do it but so far nothing has been done!

even I, when i'm making the scotland map checked the basic geography of the country first. Ive made several mistakes (a lot of them even worse than this map) but i corrected them immiadiatly after they were pointed out.

Postby Haydena on Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:59 am

Bearing in mind it was made by someone from Japan I think they did a very good job.

Sure, it has its flaws, so do a lot of maps.

Postby Balsiefen on Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:38 am

Haydena wrote:Bearing in mind it was made by someone from Japan I think they did a very good job.

Sure, it has its flaws, so do a lot of maps.

I dont.

living in Japan is not somthing that stops you searching on google images for a map of britain to see whare the counties are.

I dont live in scotland but at least i corrected the terrible mistakes on my map when they were pointed out. The same goes for pretty much every other map in the foundry.

Flaws in other maps should also be corrected. I dont know what they are because i dont live in those countries. However, someone who does is at perfect right to voice these problems and have them changed

Postby Floppie on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:53 pm

imo Hadrian's Wall breaks this map. It allows a player to control territory enough to generate 24 armies per turn and defend them WITH TWO TERRITORIES. One could quite simply sit on Cork and Isle of Man dropping 12 armies on each round after round and other players would never have any hope of coming back without escalating cards.

I very nearly pulled it off myself in a four-player game a while back. My own dumb miscalculation lost me that opportunity.
Corporal 1st Class Floppie

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:00 am

If you manage to do that then you proberbly desreve to win anyway, On the whole i'm fine with playability and graphics, Its the accuracy i'm not happy with.

And where's that darn map maker got to?

Great Britain Map - defects...

Postby HorusKol on Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:41 pm

Hi, the Great Britain map has quite a few errors of geography on it...

For one thing - the Granpians are actually spelt Grampians... and I don't think they're in the right place...

Oxfordshire goes too far north, Cheshire and Shropshire are too far south (Shropshire should actually be called Gloucestershire, Cheshire called Shropshire, and the southern half of Lancashire should be Cheshire - and Westmorland should be split between Lancashire and Cumberland)
Cook HorusKol

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas