Conquer Club

Australian Map [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Australian Map [Abandoned]

Postby jas_in_obit on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:37 am

Here is the link to an australian map. We have printed it out and tested it let me know what you think. Code is being written as we speak.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/ ... map600.jpg
Sergeant 1st Class jas_in_obit

Map designer

Postby jas_in_obit on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:41 am

Just want to also let everyone know that it is GONZO who did most of the work developing this map so the credit should go to him...

connection lines

Postby amandahugandkiss on Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:34 am

I think you should make the connection lines darker, now they look more like shadows, what program did you use???
Cook amandahugandkiss

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:17 pm

I loved it!!

40 countries... you will need 2 more. I think the obvious place is North Territory, Darwin and Ammaroo are too big and can be splitted without problems. Also, the split aspect of the whole map (as USA map) makes much easier control the attack routes... about it, and the bonuses, some little suggestions:

North Queensland is ok. Another Oceania. Maybe you could put another route, from Ammaroo to Charters Towers... Bonus 2 is ok.

New South Wales doesnt need of 4 border countries, because it has 5 countries only. Those routes between Adelaide / Melbourne and Wagga / Warwick could disappear, and the bonus should be of 2.

North Territory: you can add 2 countries, splitting Darwin and Ammaroo. Then, you could add a route between Ammaroo and Charters Towers, as I said already. That route between Alice Springs and Sundown is not necessary, connect Ayres Rock and Thomas instead. Three border countries are ok to a bonus of 3.

West Australia: this continent should be at a little lower position in the picture. It can help to hide that "spike" in Broome. You can also put a route between Burtville and Thomas. With 7 countries and 4 in the border, a bonus of 5 is fine (3 is a little bonus for a 7 countries continent).

South Australia: cancel routes between Adelaide / Melbourne and Alice Springs / Sundown. You can then add routes between Thomas and Ayres Rock, and Lake Eyre and Ammaroo. This way you increase connections between the continents without increase number of border countries (a very high number of borders can make the continent impossible to hold). After that, South Australia will have 8 countries and 4 border countries, so 5 is a good bonus.

South Queensland: without the route Wagga / Warwick, it will have 12 countries and 4 in the borders. Bonus of 7.

Great job... the art is very beautiful, also. Cant wait to play!!
Major Marvaddin

Postby jas_in_obit on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:01 am

Ok, any more suggestions before we work on it.....

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:45 pm

Just a curious question, will the army values be able to be seen clearly if say blue owned south queensland, or red owned new south wales? Maybe you already have that all figured out.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Machiavelli on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:22 pm

I was skeptical about the idea but I think you did a great job.
Sergeant Machiavelli

Postby supermarcol on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:11 pm

Although having a split map makes it easier to separate continents, I think you should try to bring it together. Find some mountains, or forests, or rivers, or just add artificial barriers to do the same job. Its just my personnal opinion, but I don't like the split feel. Apart from that it seems good, some minor graphical changes maybe, the borders need to be clearer, and also, try to tone it down a bit. I had that problem with my map where I used very vibrant and full colors. Although it look good, its hard on the eyes and make the board confusing. So maybe dull down your colors a bit. Good job so far.
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby Dionysus1985 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:50 pm

looks good biff
hurry up and get it goin mate :wink:
New Recruit Dionysus1985

Postby kevinc on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:31 pm

Just some design tips, that I'd sugest which you can consider.

Use a different font. I'd use a sans-serif font like Arial (or something better if you have it). It'll be more legible that what you're using now, and make a big difference.

The colours on the continents are strong enough. I'd change the border colours to something neutral, as it'll bring out the colours more.

Rather than change the text labels colour to white, i'd look at changing the colour of that continent. Having one set of labels inverted looks a little off.

It's a good map, good luck with it!
Corporal kevinc

Postby dragonlance on Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:36 am

looks good... but..

i have one tiny issue.... new south wales is just so unrealistic!!

Melbourme is way to big.. and sydney is too, i think NSW should be split up into smaller, and possibly less south queensland territories....

Also, firstly it's called Wagga Wagga, not just wagga. Never call Wagga Wagga wagga! Secondly, the town Wagga Wagga is actually situated probably just in the corner of the 3 wagga wagga/sydney/melbourne territories. I suggest picking a town name that actually sits within the boundaries of your territory.

WA/NT look good, though the proportional sizes should bet weaked, NT is larger than SA by a large margin in reality, and WA is the biggest by a mile, but that's not that important.

If your looking to put the map together, it is quite plausible to have the great dividing range, a series of deserts, and jungle in NT/NQLD aswell, instead of teh lines.

these are just my thoughts:p I totally suck at actually making maps though.... as you can prob tell i live in sydney so if you want info on geography in NSW to help you.. i can do that.
Private 1st Class dragonlance

Postby johnnyrotten on Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:39 am

dragonlance wrote:looks good... but..

i have one tiny issue.... new south wales is just so unrealistic!!

Melbourme is way to big.. and sydney is too, i think NSW should be split up into smaller, and possibly less south queensland territories....

Also, firstly it's called Wagga Wagga, not just wagga. Never call Wagga Wagga wagga! Secondly, the town Wagga Wagga is actually situated probably just in the corner of the 3 wagga wagga/sydney/melbourne territories. I suggest picking a town name that actually sits within the boundaries of your territory.

Well it doesn't have to be 100% geographically accurate...
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby johnnyrotten on Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:42 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Just a curious question, will the army values be able to be seen clearly if say blue owned south queensland, or red owned new south wales? Maybe you already have that all figured out.

--Andy

With the shaded circles included I should think you'll be able to see the army values. Much like green owning Ireland, or yellow owning Wales on the British Isles map. Although maybe changing the shade of colour fractionally might be worth considering.
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:20 am

jas, where are the final version of the map? This is probably the best first release to a map here in conquer club, and I want to play it!!
Major Marvaddin

Postby bob the fig on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:45 am

it looks good! i like it
Cook bob the fig

ok

Postby jas_in_obit on Thu May 04, 2006 8:30 am

Ok so we are working on it. Thanks for the suggestions i will let gonzo know. As for the geography, yes it sucks, but there are a lot of places with no short town names so we had to adjust. :)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:49 am

The map looks like an Australian postcard, which is good, but mayb u should split NSW to make a continent of victoria and tasmania. Ur Queensland goes down too south, the most eastern part of Australia is in NSW, u havent done that in ur map. Doing this would leave u with more space to make more territories for NSW. If u do make a continent of Tasmania and Victoria you could split tasmania North/South as Launceston and Hobart and make Victoria Ballarat and Melbourne, which would leave u with a continent much like South America in the world map. Doing that would leave u with 7 continents which would be a bit much. Mayb u could join north and south Queensland. Im from Queensland and i havent heard of places such as Winston, Julia Creek and Durrie. I know their is a Simpson Desert somewhere out there.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby jas_in_obit on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:46 pm

Again, all of the places are real although some of the names where shortened to fit. i am from QLD too and i know the map isnt entirely accurate but we cant make it perfect.

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:51 pm

Psst Jas,

Get away from the real time games and post an update on the map pronto! ;) We are eager to get some more new maps, and it would sure be nice to see some more development.

--Andy

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:11 am

Breaking qld aint that bad i guess. It works geographically for the NRL. Cowboys vs broncos it is then.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:57 am

Y is it taking sooo long for this map to come on the site. I want to play it already.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:39 pm

You'll have to take that up with cartographer...they aren't very active in Foundry.

--Andy

Postby onbekende on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:51 pm

I know it is not my map, but isn't this better?
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:55 pm

So you add one more route and border to north queensland...? Is that what you did?

And you might want to be careful, the cartographers could take what you are doing as rude, working on their map without permission.

--Andy

Postby onbekende on Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:58 pm

did that new route and certainly din't wanted tobe rude, but there happens not much here on this map and maps that don't come on I find sad.
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas