Conquer Club

[Official] Canada REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby edbeard on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:47 am

wow. I'll have to think about this (to put it lightly). good job you guys.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby gimil on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:48 am

omg stiff competition :shock:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby edbeard on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:15 am

I have no idea who I'm voting for at this point. I'm going to type out some thoughts on all of them (stream of consciousness) just because I want to and maybe we can get a discussion going. That might help me or others decide on which map they prefer.

A - Maple Leaf Mountains are awesome. I hate the red water routes but that's just the colour. I'm not sure about the Beaver or the coin. The legend could use some work but it's not bad. There's a lot of red on the map. I'm not sure I like that. The extra lakes are nice especially to solve the 4way border. I think this idea should be put into whichever map 'wins'

B - Nothing too flashy. Very clean and simple which is good. Very straightforward and safe. Stays very true to the original. Some might consider it boring. Since we're doing a revamp shouldn't we add some flash? Maybe. Maybe not.

C - I love the elevation. The blizzard is clever too. I don't think I like it enough to vote for it. It is very well done (as are all of them) but I just don't see it as the correct one for a revamp. Maybe take this style onto a brand new map?

D - I'm a sucker for big black borders. Sounds dirty. Mountains look great. But, they do contrast greatly with the rest of the map. I like the new tilt you put on the map. I hate that black around the legend but the flag is a nice touch.

E - Title is very nice and the legend is cool. Probably need those names on there too though. I don't like the brightness/lightness you put though. The bird at the bottom seems too random.

F - This is quite cool. The title with the leaf is nice. The french under it. Well I don't know what it says but I like it. At least for now whilst being ignorant of it's meaning. Very unique. The way you did the mountains fits because of the rest of the map underneath the glows. It seems like you did everything well but totally overlooked the mountain pass. Maybe you ran out of time? Do we really want this drastic a change for this revamp?

Right now I'd say my two frontrunners are B and F. One is very classic. The other is very radical. That's not to say I will definitely vote for one of these, but for the moment they are the two I like the best. Frankly I can't see myself voting for C or E

I think it's important we remember that we are voting for the map we want to see as the new Canada map. We're not voting for the one we think looks best right now. We're voting for the one with the best potential. Thats how I feel about it anyway. To be more specific. B is easily the most complete map. If we voted for that I think it could be quenched almost right away. Others need work but that doesn't mean B is automatically the best. I'd recommend people taking time to stew a bit. I think we have a week to decide so take a day or two.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:28 am

edbeard wrote:I think it's important we remember that we are voting for the map we want to see as the new Canada map. We're not voting for the one we think looks best right now. We're voting for the one with the best potential.

Excellent point edbeard and I don't think we can stress this enough.

My hat goes off to everybody who entered this competition, it is of such a high standard and like edbeard, I'm going to have a tough time choosing one map over the others.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:00 am

yea, I can tell which one was made by pepperonibread, and RK.

All good entries btw!
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby cena-rules on Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:53 am

wow. I just spent half an hour deciding which 1 to vote for. I like both B and F. Very tough choice
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby MR. Nate on Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:56 am

Fantastic work to every cartographer that submitted work. Every one of these maps is a significant improvement over the current version, and I would be proud to play any of them.
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?

End the Flame Wars.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby DiM on Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:38 am

voted for B looks great and crisp.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby t.e.c on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:02 am

i like b also.

but shouldn't the artic ocean be the "arctic" ocean?
Corporal t.e.c

Postby jako on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:20 am

A. this map gives it a more toned down look that is not bad. i personally thought this was a good map till i saw the maple leafs as mountains. the addition of the coin and beaver does not quite fit with the map, even though the maker might have thought adding symbolic symbols of canada would help give it an authentic look. but the solution of the lake to solve the 4 way border is genius!!!

B. this map is one of my favs as it also stays to the original design, while giving it a more updated look. i quite the thick terr borders, for no apparent reason. my biggest problem with this is the title style and location. not very ideal and it doesnt suit the map well.

C. Too bright. that was my first impression. after my eyes got past the pain, i looked at it more closely and saw that the Thompson title is obscuring the 4 way border, which does not really solve the problem, but merely hiding it. i thought the elevation addition to the map was kinda confusing and distracting as well the black river lines (at least i think they are river lines). the font is not that great as it makes it hard to read especially with the think outer borders around the names. and i think this maker forgot about the mountain pass between vancouver and calgary.

D. i quite agree with edbeard on the black borders, very nice. im not a fan of his mountains though, and the water route from Victoria to P. George should be clearer, because currently i cant tell if Victoria is connected to P George or P Edward.

E. this gave me a doodle earth feeling which made me laugh :lol:. i thought that addition of some sort of bird thing in the USA gray area was a little strange, adn the mountains do not go well with the rest of the map. they also forgot to add route lines connecting Newfoundland to PEI, PEI to Brunswick, and PEI to Nova Scotia.

F. :shock:, very drastic change, but after i got over my initial shock, i thought it look very well done and great. it may be drastically differetn from the original, but not in a bad way. i cant really see any probs with this, but the entirely different look may not please some.

my favs right now has to be F and B.

ps why does the D map say by marcol? i thought this was anomynous.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby hulmey on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:36 am

Well im sorry to say none of these maps are better looking than the orginal map. Very poor indeed.
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:23 pm

i don't know if you guys notice but, the "F" verison Quebec and Ontario are back-words :? .. i like that verison but you need to get the creater and have him change it.
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Wisse on Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:55 pm

i like the version D the most, its comepletely my style
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby hulmey on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:34 pm

Ps - cant see WM's hand in any of these maps!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby gimil on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:38 pm

hulmey wrote:Ps - cant see WM's hand in any of these maps!!

WM wasnt eligable for entry
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:05 pm

gimil wrote:
hulmey wrote:Ps - cant see WM's hand in any of these maps!!

WM wasnt eligable for entry

Yes he was, he could have decided to make another map besides the joke map (though I don't think he did).
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:12 pm

jako wrote:why does the D map say by marcol? i thought this was anomynous.

Marcol is the original cartographer.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Keredrex on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:26 pm

I must admit The maps are pretty good....Though some are very similar...
A)... Not bad its a step above the original... Hate the Impassable Leaves...the legend could lose those leaves there as well... or make them smaller maybe

B)… Clean Looking map with good colors... The legend and Title should be swapped and they look rushed... Like he threw them up at the last minute
Fontys are good but looks like there is too much emphasis on USA AND GREENLAND NAMES.. why are they SO BIG compared to the rest... The map has a plastic feel which is not necessarily bad... but that Light area in the middle is TOOO eyecatching... I keep reading BAKER LAKE You know

C) Like It... Probably one of the closest to a real Map as far as topography and Elevation... Font needs to change... Legend needs Work... the black border lines are too heavy...
I think the 4 way border was handled nicely and stays true to actual border lines... And the Blizzard Representing the Impassable Is awesome... but he needs to add an Impassable by Fort 7

D) OK... Too Dark all around Like someone traced a map with a black Sharpie.. Gaspesie gets lost a bit ... Textures are very good

E)Too Light... Mountains seem out of place with the rest of the map style... Font is TOO Light.. Title could be Better...
I do like the little Map for the legend... It works Well

F) Nicely Done… Background Image Is great.. Title Was handled Very Nicely.. I don't care for making up geography to solve border issues the rocky mountains in canada are not represented correctly... ther not too big a deal though...

I personally Like B, C & F... I think they should all get another run after feedback... Or at the very least those 3 should get another run before the final...
Last edited by Keredrex on Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:42 pm

I voted F.. I didn't even submit it.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Incandenza on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:47 pm

I voted F as well. My only concern is how well it'll translate to the small map... otherwise, well done to all who entered.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:52 pm

My second choice was also not my own.. and oddly enough it was clearly pepperoni bread's..

people really brought it this time around.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Coleman on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Maybe a future requirement should be that a small file also be supplied. I realize that's tough, but I too am woried about how well F will translate.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:58 pm

that can be fixed after F wins. he deserves it.

(it looks like a johloh map.)
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Wisse on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:48 am

:S i don't like F as much as i D like, but it seems to win :( maybe the map maker of D has to make anather map (not sure who it is) with the same things as here
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:51 am

Wisse wrote::S i don't like F as much as i D like, but it seems to win :( maybe the map maker of D has to make anather map (not sure who it is) with the same things as here

I think its the same map maker as global warming. Pep.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas