Conquer Club

Indian Subcontinent

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you like the font of the title? (see page 2, bottom image)

Total votes : 0

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:19 am

So basically what ive done since last update is:
*added title
*changed the colour of some continents
*added key
*added one ways (if anyone has linux i could use there help in improving the arrows, theres this program that makes custom arrows but its in linux only)

And if your confused about which continent is whic:
Afghanistan - the black red and green continent
Pakistan - green and white continent with star and moon
Troubled North - Blue/Purple
Himalayas - Pink
Eastern Ghats - Grey
Myanmar - red and blue
South (If you have a better name post here) - Green
West India - Yellow

happysadfun wrote:is the thick black unpassable?

i changed it to brown and yes. They are the himalayan mountains (Theyre really meant to be on the other side of the countries but dont tell anyone)

reverend_kyle wrote:as of this moment it is better than middle east.. work on the background.. the red is painful... the blue was unfitting... if you can I'd get something grainy,.

Ive gotten rid of it for the moment. What do you mean by grainy?

p.s. is it just me or is my map looking worse the further i get into its development?
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:41 am

i like the map. you need a good mountain graphic tho... hmmmm
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Telvannia on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:45 am

i have linux ubuntu what is this amazing programme of which you speak

i will try and find it and see if it works if it does i can get you some arrows
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:57 pm

happysadfun wrote:i like the map. you need a good mountain graphic tho... hmmmm

yah. Have any ideas where i could find some?

Telvannia wrote:i have linux ubuntu what is this amazing programme of which you speak

i will try and find it and see if it works if it does i can get you some arrows

Kool that would be really helpful. The site is: http://www.gimphelp.org/gfxmuse_plugins.html

You may or may not have noticed but i usually go to other peoples maps and complain about them having a country which only borders one other (In Middle Earth its belegost; in Europe its Portugal and Estonia; in the british isles its cornwall, Isle of Wight etc.) and i figured i was being a hypocrite by having askai chin with only one border, so i am thinking about having this "rule" where every country in the troubled north can attack each other. comments?
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:11 pm

that would be cool. but the bonus would have to be higher
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:13 am

Excuse me if you dislike my sincerity, but are you really working on this image to make the final version? I hope you arent:

1) the font of the title is simply ridiculous.
2) the font of the countries names is not good too. And in fact, in many places the names are not readable: Kerala? Sikkim? (Oh, by the way, this country is ridiculously small, you need make it bigger!) Goa? (Same problem) Arunachai Pradesh?
3) The names, make them simple! Why so many "pradesh"? And that W. Bengal, where is the another Bengal?
4) Some countries are so small that they cant have room for names and number of armies, you need re-think them...
5) The patterns, I know there were not easy to do, but they are very poor. It remembers me my version of the Brazil map with patterns... they usually are not good.
6) What type of legend is that one?

So, this map will still need tons of work. Lets dicuss bonuses later, when I have a better idea of the continents.
Major Marvaddin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:48 am

Marvaddin wrote:Excuse me if you dislike my sincerity, but are you really working on this image to make the final version? I hope you arent:

2) the font of the countries names is not good too. And in fact, in many places the names are not readable: Kerala? Sikkim? (Oh, by the way, this country is ridiculously small, you need make it bigger!) Goa? (Same problem) Arunachai Pradesh?
3) The names, make them simple! Why so many "pradesh"? And that W. Bengal, where is the another Bengal?
4) Some countries are so small that they cant have room for names and number of armies, you need re-think them...
5) The patterns, I know there were not easy to do, but they are very poor. It remembers me my version of the Brazil map with patterns... they usually are not good.

So, this map will still need tons of work. Lets dicuss bonuses later, when I have a better idea of the continents.

1) i liked the font in the title (the border of the font is all crummy and i will fix that), its faux sanskrit, meaning fake sansrit (sanskrit is the characters used used in the languages of the area)
2) Do you have a suggestion for a better font? its the default font of GIMP, i'll change it for next update (i may do something like martiovw did and get people to vote). Ill move them around so they dont class with the border.
3) Im using the official names of the states, i dont know what pradesh means or why there are so many of them. West Bengal is a state of india, east bengal later became bangladesh.
4) Ill enlargen some countries
5) Yah i know i have to do something about that.
6) Its a pretend ledgend, i cant make it proper until i have the continent colours right so its just there for reference.

I like your honesty, this is the first real feedback ive had on the map.

I have an idea for the background of the whole map but i just dont know how to do it.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:11 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:
happysadfun wrote:i like the map. you need a good mountain graphic tho... hmmmm

yah. Have any ideas where i could find some?

I created one just now. Image

Cadet happysadfun

Postby happysadfun on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:57 pm

couldn't you get rid of gba and split balochistan? or maybe add waziristan?

Cadet happysadfun

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:47 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Excuse me if you dislike my sincerity, but are you really working on this image to make the final version? I hope you arent:

1. agree
2. agree
3. I'm not sure what your talking about specifically but personally I prefer authentic names..
4. agree
5. like the brazil map is good now ;).. kidding of course its my favorite map and yes I agree the patterns are RIDICULOUS.. and ugly..
6. yeah and continent bonuses arent good either..
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:19 am

happysadfun wrote:couldn't you get rid of gba and split balochistan? or maybe add waziristan?

Wah... gba? waziristan? what are they?

I like that mountain image, how did you create it?
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:17 pm

waziristan is a region in far west-central (but along the border of) pakistan. currently they are vying for independence and doing so through terrorism. little do many ppl know but the us, canada, and pakistan are fighting against them. they have taken the side of al-quaeda in the war on terrorism. click: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waziristan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waziristan_War

Cadet happysadfun

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:13 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:

You may or may not have noticed but i usually go to other peoples maps and complain about them having a country which only borders one other (In Middle Earth its belegost; in Europe its Portugal and Estonia; in the british isles its cornwall, Isle of Wight etc.) and i figured i was being a hypocrite by having askai chin with only one border, so i am thinking about having this "rule" where every country in the troubled north can attack each other. comments?

dude one border is no biggie.. just dont advance any.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:52 am

reverend_kyle wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:

dude one border is no biggie.. just dont advance any.

I absolutely hate them. They should go die. You always need two entrances just incase some noob starts building men on the surrouding country.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby mightyal on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:10 am

For small states like Sikkim, Arunachai Pradesh etc, you could use the ISO code (SK & AP in this instance) on the map to save space. Complete Indian ISO list here

I agree with the consensus that faux Sanskrit is really ugly. The countries font is bland. Patterns are nasty.

Moving all of Goa's name into the ocean would look better. Similarly with Sikkim IMO. This would give some space for the armies to go on.

Pradesh means state btw.

I don't understand why Afghanistan and Pakistan are only 1 bonus each. They look like 2's to me.

I'm trying to be constructively critical here, this looks like it will be a good map to my n00b eyes.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei
Captain mightyal

Location: Banging the hag whilst Owl is busy banging hendy's mum

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:05 am

kool, thnx mightyal.

Afghanistan and Pakistan are only 1, because when you get both u get an extra bonus. Im going to get rid of the patterns. I might expand the countries to give more space for the name, if that doesnt work ill use the ISO code, thnx for the link.

Aww... nobody likes faux sanskrit except me. I think ill put it to vote and if no comes in as greater than 65% ill change it.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby mightyal on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:23 am

If you're undervaluing Afghanistan and Pakistan individually, overvaluing them together might make for interesting gameplay.
ie 1 each but 5 for the pair.

I think this would cause lots of action in the area (not too dissimilar to reality).
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei
Captain mightyal

Location: Banging the hag whilst Owl is busy banging hendy's mum

Postby happysadfun on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:35 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:
happysadfun wrote:couldn't you get rid of gba and split balochistan? or maybe add waziristan?

I like that mountain image, how did you create it?

i looked up mountain on alltheweb then made it smaller and got rid of everything around it. feel free to use it.

Cadet happysadfun

Postby happysadfun on Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:32 pm

ta-da! waziristan!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:WaziristanMap.png image didn't work

Cadet happysadfun

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:07 pm

happysadfun wrote:ta-da! waziristan!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:WaziristanMap.png image didn't work

Whats GBA (i only think of gameboy advance).

I think waziristan is too small a place to add. I will however split up Balochistan into two countries.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:17 pm

in west india... little country on west coast. gha? gba? gva?

Cadet happysadfun

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:20 pm

happysadfun wrote:in west india... little country on west coast. gha? gba? gva?

oh... that Goa. I wanted to keep it with Punjab were the only states id heard of (sentimental value).
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:24 am

Looks like the font in the name is staying (47% were in favour of changing it, less than half).

I wont be working on this for about a month, will be busy in rl.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:05 am

The font of the title IS ridiculous. Do a poll about it, and you will probably change it.
Major Marvaddin

Postby happysadfun on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:27 am

Marvaddin wrote:The font of the title IS ridiculous. Do a poll about it, and you will probably change it.
He has been doing a poll.

Cadet happysadfun

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas