Conquer Club

KING of the MOUNTAINS MAP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Captain Crash on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:44 am

Same in the 2 games I just joined...bonuses from the start...it may be the norm in this map!
(or at least more common than in other maps)

8)

Private Captain Crash

Postby Wisse on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:09 am

cheeseweasel wrote:I got in a game here, and look at the luck of the draw:

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=309930

In a five-player game, Blue's got three kings (+3 armies) right off the bat and yellow's sitting on +1 from the shape group.

Are other people seeing things like this in their games?

I'm sure this is the exception and not the rule, but still, if it happens again it'll be my last foray into King of the Mountains.

yellow doesn't get 1+ for the shapes he only has one shape group not 2
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Stishovite on Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:20 am

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=311530
I just started with 3 kings and the first turn.
I'm not complaining! :D

Stish
Sergeant 1st Class Stishovite

Postby MR. Nate on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:43 am

The other guy started with a bonus in my game, but I went 1st and broke it up :D

Bonus for me. :D
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:28 am

blue is going to kick you. he'll easily get purple mountain then it's all over :twisted:

PS: this is a 1 in 100 game so no worries.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Guiscard on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:46 am

Stishovite wrote:http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=311530
I just started with 3 kings and the first turn.
I'm not complaining! :D

Stish

As did I... :D

Nasty dice though... should have been able to get a mountain in one turn... :(
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Samus on Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:36 am

KEYOGI wrote:I started with 3 Kings which was a nice little bonus.

Is this going to be a problem though? It seems a lot of people are starting with a bonus of some sort.

Odds any given player in a 4 player game of starts with at least:

1 King - 77%
2 Kings - 51%
3 Kings - 26%
4 Kings - 9%
5 Kings - 1.5%

Odds that ONE of the FOUR players starts with(*):

1 King - 99.7%
2 Kings - 94%
3 Kings - 70%
4 Kings - 31%
5 Kings - 6%

*These calculations are done based on independent odds, meaning the outcome of player 1 did not effect the other outcomes. In reality, if player 1 got 0 Kings, it would substantially increase the odds of the next player. However, if player 1 started with any Kings, it would obviously mean the other players had zero chance of getting 5 Kings. These two factors somewhat balance each other out, but consider these numbers estimates. Doing it the right way would take a crazy amount of math.
Major Samus

Postby hulmey on Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:47 pm

I just started my first game as well and player started with 2 kings and in one turn now has his 3rd king...So im instigating a raiding paty against said player...

But what r the odds...Seen players start with australia in classic :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Zumo on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:45 am

Very nice map, great gameplay, original and beautiful.

Nice work !
Private Zumo

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:20 am

Minor flaw - probably not worth bothering about...

The numbering of the circles is a bit strange...

I wasn't really paying attention and managed to deploy to the wrong place!!?

C1 - instead of C3...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby shaddowfire on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:43 am

WidowMakers wrote:
shaddowfire wrote:Don't know if this will be replied to, or even noticed. But the shape group bonuses are too small. I just played this map, the shape group have no bonus on their own, making them pointless to have. It would be better to either eliminate all but the helipads, or to give each of the shape group a bonus on their own. So if I own all of one shape group I get a bonus of 1 army, and if I own 2 shape groups I get 3 or 4 armies, and if I own all the shape groups I get 5 or 6 armies. Right now they are just annoying territories.

But the rest of the map is excellent.

All of this was debated already. The reason they are small is the tactical advantage the helipads give. If the group also had high bonuses, the helipads would become even more dangerous. Believe me, the Foundry discussed this, it was voted on and the map is the result.

I am glad you like the map. 8)

Do you know about what pages the debate was on? I still think they are worth pretty much nothing. I understand what you are saying, and that makes a lot of sense to me, but I still think if you control a continent you should get a little bonus. So I thought of this. Each shape group is worth 1 army, when you control the whole thing. That's still a pathetic bonus, and not worth taking over, except for the heli pad. If you control 2 shape groups you get 2 bonus armies, and then if you control all 3, you get a bonus of 5. The reason for 5 in the end, is because of the number of places you can get attacked from. And if you only controlled those, chances are the world is fighting against you, and it would be impossible to hold them anyways. With what bonuses you've given them, it's better to take out the shape groups all together, and just have the helipads there.
Blades will bleed. Shields will shatter. But as the light fades, will the hero rise again or will darkness reign?

~Twilight Princess
Lieutenant shaddowfire

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:59 am

Page 8 and the current poll for this topic shows how everyone voted. Thanks
Major WidowMakers

Postby MR. Nate on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:02 pm

I like the shape groups. Although they are really only there to support the helipads, the pads would be indefensible with that many direct borders. Controlling the helipads is the key to the entire game, so the huge tactical advantage more than makes up for the lack of bonus.

I love this map!
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby Samus on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:00 pm

MR. Nate wrote:Controlling the helipads is the key to the entire game, so the huge tactical advantage more than makes up for the lack of bonus.

Each Helipad can break any bonus on the board. This may be the first thing that is overpowered tactically rather than an overpowered bonus. All you do is load up one Helipad with troops and you can prevent your opponents from holding anything.
Major Samus

King of the mountains

Postby Keredrex on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:16 pm

I think the map is perfect Great job
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby Selin on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:19 pm

I played the map a lot of times and I'm still playing it. Here is a small suggestion for improvement:

The shape groups bonus had very little role in all my games. I observed nobody was interested to keep them as region, but only put armies there to attack the kings, because it's very difficult to have all three of them for a +3 bonus, even 2 of them is difficult and this only for +1 bonus.

My suggestion would be to get:

+1 bonus for 1 shape group
+3 (or alternatively +2) bonus for 2 shape groups
+5 (or alternatively +4) bonus for all 3 shape groups

This would make the map more interesting and challenging, I think. I know that this issue is discussed in the Foundry, however I'm just writing here my experience after 6 months having played the map many times.

A practical experience is always more worth than a theoretical discussion & decision during the development.

Brigadier Selin

Postby RobinJ on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:32 pm

Selin wrote:I played the map a lot of times and I'm still playing it. Here is a small suggestion for improvement:

The shape groups bonus had very little role in all my games. I observed nobody was interested to keep them as region, but only put armies there to attack the kings, because it's very difficult to have all three of them for a +3 bonus, even 2 of them is difficult and this only for +1 bonus.

This would make the map more interesting and challenging, I think. I know that this issue is discussed in the Foundry, however I'm just writing here my experience after 6 months having played the map many times.

A practical experience is always more worth than a theoretical discussion & decision during the development.

Good idea - they are pretty much worthless except for the Helipads
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby freezie on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:09 am

RobinJ wrote:
Selin wrote:I played the map a lot of times and I'm still playing it. Here is a small suggestion for improvement:

Good idea - they are pretty much worthless except for the Helipads

That is because the helipads are strong points of the map. A bonus along will that is over-asking.

Seriously, in the few times I played this map, the helipads were always the key points of winning or losing. I kept the 3 helipads for a whole game and no one could do anything.

The bonuses for the shape groups are low for a reason. Yes they are worthless, and meant to be. They could basicly be worth 0 and the helipads would do the job anyway.
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby owyn999 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:41 am

BUG:

Bug not there thought the bug was there but then looked at the map one more time... OOps

Suggestion --

If as people are debating whether or not to give the Shape Groups a bonus on their own then the only logical way to create a tactical balancing would be for the Kings to have the ability to sight all the way down their mountains in fog games possibly including bombard down. but once again this is only IF the shape groups get their own bonuses which I don't feel is neccisary unless it is +1 for each and an additional +1 for all
Corporal 1st Class owyn999

Re: KING of the MOUNTAINS MAP [Quenched]

Postby Schwournes on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:49 am

I like this map, but why can the kings only attack down the mountain? I think they should be able to attack each other, maybe not attack the helipads, but could still attack each other
Cadet Schwournes

Postby lanyards on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:51 am

Schwournes wrote:I like this map, but why can the kings only attack down the mountain? I think they should be able to attack each other, maybe not attack the helipads, but could still attack each other
Mega bump.

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby Sven Hassel on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:13 pm

if it wasn't a map thread i would say necro-bump :lol:
"Bullets kill, grenades kill, bayonets kill, the cold kills. Death has a thousand faces. The worst of them all: the Court Martial."
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby Esn on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Is this the right place to post a "bug"?

I think that the text on the map needs to be edited to make it clear that not only can kings not ATTACK in any direction but down the mountain, but also that there can be NO TROOP MOVEMENTS from kings to helipads that you own. This is not obvious at all; I thought intuitively that a helicopter from a helipad that you own could pick up troops from a mountaintop, and made a strategic error because of this assumption.

It needs to be made clear that if you own a helipad and a mountaintop, you can move troops from the helipad to the mountaintop but not the other way.
Sergeant 1st Class Esn

Postby Thezzaruz on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:46 am

Esn wrote:It needs to be made clear that if you own a helipad and a mountaintop, you can move troops from the helipad to the mountaintop but not the other way.

Basic rule of the game is that you can only fortify along the same route as you can attack (applies to LoS in Fog games too). Territories that you can be attacked or bombarded from cannot be fortified to.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby sherkaner on Tue May 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Hmm, just playing this map, maybe the xml could be updated a little here too? How the kings are handled looks slightly old (though it will hardly be longer than the new solution).
Colonel sherkaner

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas