Conquer Club

The Texan Wars [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby rgbubba on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:44 pm

630*600 for the small and 840*800 for the large

I'm using Publisher to creat my map. I have no other programs I can afford right now. So if you can guide me with this size info for that program that would be great. Thanks.
Private rgbubba

Postby Gnome on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:16 am

hi, first time to post my opinion about this map...

first, I like the style of this map :wink:

I have some remarks...
1)Sorry but I think your legend is way out of the theme here...why don't you try a texan way of legend that fits in this map...
2)the flag in the right upper corner is good but the text you added 'The battle for the lonestar state' is not readable and pixely
3)maybe make the trees darker as now it looks a bit to flashy for me...
4) are you planning on adding army circles? or will they just get projected right on your map?
5)and maybe try adding another cowboy that looks more real, this one looks a bit weird...

Keep up the good work :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

sigh..

Postby owenshooter on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:42 am

ehh... i appreciate the effort, it just doesn't knock my socks off... texas is such a cool place, and it deserves a cool map... natural resources, port attacks, etc... i think that age of merchants and pearl harbor have made me expect more of maps other than some natural borders and getting territories... i'm not trying to be a dick, just think that texas is really special and deserves a special map, not just another one that will go by the wayside... sigh... oh, and did i mention that i'm not the person to do it?!!! appreciate the effort, good luck with the final forge...-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:47 pm

more thoughts on the map.

mainly i'm gonna relate to the texan spirit.
i'm far far away from texas and i may be completely wrong about this but here goes.

i always envisioned texas to have wide open spaces large herds of cattle, mustangs saloons cowboys chew tobacco sheriffs and of course mexicans with big hats and big mustaches.

now when i look at this map i see none of that. i see a bright and colorful map with trees and mountains and a silly goofy cowboy. i want clint eastwood type of cowboy, i want to see a cow skull on the map. i want to see a cactus and a rolling bush and dust loads of dust.

i think that's the theme that best fits texas.

perhaps a place where you have a vast open space with important places like small towns mines railroads and stuff like that.

and you can get bonuses for holding the robbers' den and the railroad station or for holding a town and the cattle ranch and stuff like that.

i think that would make it a better map but that would mean a total redesign of both the map and the gameplay.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:04 pm

DiM wrote:more thoughts on the map.

mainly i'm gonna relate to the texan spirit.
i'm far far away from texas and i may be completely wrong about this but here goes.

i always envisioned texas to have wide open spaces large herds of cattle, mustangs saloons cowboys chew tobacco sheriffs and of course mexicans with big hats and big mustaches.

now when i look at this map i see none of that. i see a bright and colorful map with trees and mountains and a silly goofy cowboy. i want clint eastwood type of cowboy, i want to see a cow skull on the map. i want to see a cactus and a rolling bush and dust loads of dust.

i think that's the theme that best fits texas.

perhaps a place where you have a vast open space with important places like small towns mines railroads and stuff like that.

and you can get bonuses for holding the robbers' den and the railroad station or for holding a town and the cattle ranch and stuff like that.

i think that would make it a better map but that would mean a total redesign of both the map and the gameplay.

I agree with DiM here (although it would actually be more of a John Wayne style cowboy, Clint was the star of Italian Spaghetti Westerns).

1) I don't really know my Texas geography but I didn't know there were any mountains in the state.

2) I'm not sure when oil was discovered - but that was a pretty big industry (maybe have a few oil field terrs).

3) I'm sure there are trees in Texas, but I'm also sure there are cacti and tumbleweeds.

4) Making the map background look "dusty" might be an interesting take.

As for the map itself, it looks pretty good.

1) The barb wire has to be updated. If not for the double barb between Seguin and Austin, people might think they are bridges across the impassible object (as there is one barb perfectly placed on every impassible border).

2) There are some terrs that might have problems with Army placement (San Antonio, Pleasanton, and Brenham - maybe Zapata and Nacogdoches)

3) You might want to move Padre Island up a few pixels (not entirely geographically correct) to allow the Brownsville label to be in the Gulf and point back to land
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby soundout9 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:24 pm

This map ROX!!!!!!!!! love it cant wait to play it
Private soundout9

Postby owenshooter on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:37 pm

i just don't think the map does texas justice... where are the resources and the deserts? imagine seizing oil fields in houston, off the coast, etc... how about cattle? how about ag fields? texas is a huge and varied state with amazing climate changes and resources and natural boundaries. why not be able to attack down the rio grande or blow up austin going through the colorado river? i just think a map with territories and some varied borders is played out and boring on this site. again, i appreciate your efforts, but it just seems like you want a map of where you live to play, and it just isn't that good, yet. i like the idea of holding resource pairs like on merchants... think of the cotton, the grain, the oil, the PORTS, the rivers... sigh... oh texas, my texas...-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

THANKS GUYS!!!

Postby rgbubba on Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:45 am

Thanks guys for all your commits It's a bit overwhelming. If you guys can give me some time to go threw the mail I respond as best I can. Thanks.

I have lived in Texas most of my life and I know I could add all kinds of cool things but my resources are limited to Publisher so it will take me some time to draw up a new idea for the map. I just want a great game I could play without to much going on on the map. But we will see what I can do in the next few weeks.

If you have a graphic I could use, hills, trees and ect. let me know I don't mind letting other contribute to it. Infact I will put your name on it as one of the designers.
Private rgbubba

Postby TroyMcClure on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:55 pm

owenshooter wrote:i just don't think the map does texas justice... where are the resources and the deserts? imagine seizing oil fields in houston, off the coast, etc... how about cattle? how about ag fields? texas is a huge and varied state with amazing climate changes and resources and natural boundaries. why not be able to attack down the rio grande or blow up austin going through the colorado river? i just think a map with territories and some varied borders is played out and boring on this site. again, i appreciate your efforts, but it just seems like you want a map of where you live to play, and it just isn't that good, yet. i like the idea of holding resource pairs like on merchants... think of the cotton, the grain, the oil, the PORTS, the rivers... sigh... oh texas, my texas...-0

-I thinks the map looks good.
-Would like to see the army circles.
-Adding oil dereks some how would be great!
-I don't agree with adding too much, It does take away playability. Maybe some bonuses can be added that have that Texas feel (cotton! oil! cattle! NASA!...), but there is a limit to what can be added. The map has got to meet basic Risk playability.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby bloknayrb on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:28 am

The map looks good AND it makes me laugh (not sure why, maybe its the cowboy in the corner). I'd play it.
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb

Postby rgbubba on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:01 pm

HI guys I just aquaired the program Gimp I try to see if I can change things up a bit.
Private rgbubba

Postby rlb02a on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:17 pm

It's good to see this map is up and going again. You've done some nice work. I don't want to be the grammar/spelling nazi, but I found a few things:

Engle Pass = Eagle Pass
Vermont = Vernon
RGC = RGV, unless that's referring to something else I don't know about.
Is Rocksprings one word or two?

Also, I know you're approaching the final stages and want to finish up soon, but why not think about expanding into the ocean a little? You've got Padre and all, which is nice. Adding an off-shore drilling rig or two could open you up to more strategic possibilities.

You might want to revisit the bonuses. I'm no expert, but they seem a little off.
Corporal rlb02a

Postby rgbubba on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:11 am

Engle Pass = Eagle Pass
Vermont = Vernon
RGC = RGV, unless that's referring to something else I don't know about.
Is Rocksprings one word or two?

Thanks for that I'm bad when it comes to spelling.
But RGC IS- Rio Grande City
Private rgbubba

Postby rgbubba on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:14 am

TRYING NEW COLORS

Does this map look better then the old one?

Private rgbubba

Re: THE TEXAN WARS (NEW MAP)

Postby rgbubba on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:10 pm

TRYING NEW COLORS

Does this map look better then the old one?

map 12
Private rgbubba

Postby unriggable on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Problem with texas is that awkward erection coming on the left side that makes it impossible to make an efficient map out of.
Cook unriggable

Explain

Postby rgbubba on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:58 pm

unriggable wrote:Problem with texas is that awkward erection coming on the left side that makes it impossible to make an efficient map out of.

Can you explain what you had said?
Private rgbubba

Postby spiesr on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:27 pm

Perhaps redo the main map to have a Texan Revolution theme...
*Add Mexican Land
*Battle Sites
Captain spiesr

Postby mibi on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:35 pm

I used to live in Bryan, may it rot in a festering hell.
Captain mibi

Postby bloknayrb on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:41 pm

mibi wrote:I used to live in Bryan, may it rot in a festering hell.

Hey, screw you ;)
Sergeant 1st Class bloknayrb

Re: Explain

Postby Aerial Attack on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:58 pm

rgbubba wrote:
unriggable wrote:Problem with texas is that awkward erection coming on the left side that makes it impossible to make an efficient map out of.

Can you explain what you had said?

I believe he's talking about the pan handle. The part with Amarillo and Pampa (borders Oklahoma and New Mexico).
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby rgbubba on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:38 am

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT THE NEW MAP?
Private rgbubba

Postby Elijah S on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:58 am

I like it better with the warmer colors. (map 11)
The color scheme's more appealing and seems to suit the theme better.

Good-looking map btw... looking forward to playing this...
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Postby rgbubba on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:05 pm

Elijah S wrote:I like it better with the warmer colors. (map 11)
The color scheme's more appealing and seems to suit the theme better.

Good-looking map btw... looking forward to playing this...

Thanks, I like it better too. If you have any suggestions let me know.
Private rgbubba

Map with amy circles

Postby rgbubba on Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:31 am

Amy Circles!!!

Yes I know that one state did not get a amy circle! I'll fix it.

Also the wagon wheels will be bonuses as well as direct battle areas.
Houston can battle El Paso with out going threw the states, from DFW to
Houston or El Paso. If you hold all 3 you get extra 3 men for a bonus.

Map 12

Last edited by rgbubba on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private rgbubba

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas