Conquer Club

Dust Bowl [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you want to have the map changed so Dust territories are given out evenly?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 52

Postby RjBeals on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:08 pm

Maybe impassable borders - but I'm really not thrilled about that. I don't think a river is needed - it kinda defeats the purpose of the drought. I experimented with mountain ranges when I was creating Italy, but I couldn't get a style that complimented the feel of the map, and I think the same might be true here. If impassable borders will help gameplay, I'm up for creating something though.
Private RjBeals

Postby Inhuman14 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:03 pm

It'd be sweet if you could mess with the game server by awarding you negative armies... I wonder what it would do... }:-)
Ideas in progress:
Average points count of enemies in profile page
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70340&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Corporal Inhuman14

Postby BaldAdonis on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:53 pm

RjBeals wrote:According to the map in the book, at the very least Clayton was located in the dustbowl area. But you are right, only the far right side of the state was effected. If you think I should take out cities in NM, I can - but I was trying to keep the map balanced.

I don't know anything about the geography of the dustbowl, I'm just saying that without a stake in it, New Mexico is not affected like the other regions are, so it's important to have at least one New Mexico territory in the dust bowl.

RjBeals wrote:I'm also not sure what you mean about the northern region bonus

I just meant those two up above Kansas/Colorado. Not sure what they were, so I just said "northern region". Nebraska maybe? I was never good at US geography.

How are the territories connected? If crossing state lines is ok, I'd like to see more impassable borders, otherwise every region has at least 3 territories to defend, and others (Colorado, Kansas) are vulnerable everywhere. If players can only attack through the dustbowl and inside a state, then Cheyenne doesn't go anywhere. Also, if the latter is the case, consider that Texas has 4 to defend, and New Mexico/Oklahoma only 1 each.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby Anarkistsdream on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:06 pm

Is that top little section: "Lured by the promise of...." a quote? If so, you have to either cite the source or ask permission, depending on the copyright.

"Drought" is spelled wrong.
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby RjBeals on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:03 pm

Anarkistsdream wrote:Is that top little section: "Lured by the promise of...." a quote? If so, you have to either cite the source or ask permission, depending on the copyright.

"Drought" is spelled wrong.

Ahh. Good point. Yes it's a quote from pbs.org so I'll paraphrase into my own quote. And I'll fix spelling. Thanks Anarkist.
Private RjBeals

Postby I GOT SERVED on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:01 am

RjBeals wrote:
I GOT SERVED wrote:Firstly, I like the progress this map is making. But I have one question.

You have one section to the left of Lubbock (Texas) that isn't named. Is this an extension of one territory? Or is it a different territory all together?

Thanks - and that is just a dead territory. Just there to keep the map flowing, however it will not be in play.

That dead territory is going to confuse a lot of people, myself included. Maybe you should merge it with Lubbock.

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby RjBeals on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:22 am

I GOT SERVER wrote:That dead territory is going to confuse a lot of people, myself included. Maybe you should merge it with Lubbock.

Naa... I think it will be more clear when the armies are on the board. If more people think it's confusing, I'll rework.

REV-2
1) I'm trying to figure a way to make impassable borders, and this is what I've come up with. I'm going to add land cracks (tying to look like dried desert cracks). My problem is I think I'll have too many cracks all over the board and it will look bad.

Since I've added color to the states, I may tone down the bold state borders to match (or closely match) the grayish territory borders. Then bolder cracks wouldn't look so bad along state lines / impassible areas. Even though i really like the state borders bold like they are now..

2) Since I've added color to the states, the inner "drought" area didn't look good as a shade of red. That gave too much color. Instead I've given red outlined army circles. I think pretty obvious - what about the rest of you?

3) Added some more +/- Bonuses. (I plan to give Texas a +5 Bonus)

4) Rewrote the explanation paragraph into my own words. I'm not the greatest at prose - anyone have suggestions.

5) Do you like my corn / crops graphic? Since I have negative bonuses, I thought it would only be fair to have additional positive bonuses. I tried to place the crops on the outer regions since thatā€™s where there would be more water for growing crops.
Private RjBeals

Postby I GOT SERVED on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:15 pm

RjBeals wrote:
I GOT SERVER wrote:That dead territory is going to confuse a lot of people, myself included. Maybe you should merge it with Lubbock.

Naa... I think it will be more clear when the armies are on the board. If more people think it's confusing, I'll rework.

Fair enough. The background color in the states cleared that up.

1) I'm trying to figure a way to make impassable borders, and this is what I've come up with. I'm going to add land cracks (tying to look like dried desert cracks). My problem is I think I'll have too many cracks all over the board and it will look bad.

I personally really like the cracks. Another one or two would look fine without over doing it.

2) Since I've added color to the states, the inner "drought" area didn't look good as a shade of red. That gave too much color. Instead I've given red outlined army circles. I think pretty obvious - what about the rest of you?

The red circles look fine. Although the outline was nice, I think it looks nicer like this.

3) Added some more +/- Bonuses. (I plan to give Texas a +5 Bonus)

I'd suggest giving Texas a +6 bonus. That seems better, namely because all of the border territories. I'd also suggest giving Oklahoma a larger bonus as well, also because of the border territories.

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby spiesr on Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:29 pm

The not territory should be the yellow color...
Captain spiesr

Postby sfhbballnut on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:40 pm

I think something might need to be done about the overall look, I know the idea is to make it follow the theme, but it has a sleep, kinda depressed look of the dustbowl right now, and thtat doesn't come across to well,like the idea though, keep at it
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby RjBeals on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:08 pm

sfhbballnut wrote:...but it has a sleep, kinda depressed look of the dustbowl right now, and thtat doesn't come across to well,like the idea though, keep at it

Thanks for the input, but that's the look I was going for. The period was during the great "American" depression in the 1930's. I don't want bold colors. I want dull colors. In fact I didn't really want colors at all, but I had to compromise. What do you mean it doesn't come across to well - like at first glance it looks bla and boring?
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:09 pm

spiesr wrote:The not territory should be the yellow color...
But then it would screw with the the shape of the actual state. People from texas wouldn't like that.
Private RjBeals

Postby Anarkistsdream on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:43 pm

I hate to say it, but I think the cracks look like tree roots...

Cracks in the ground look more like this:

virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby RjBeals on Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:48 pm

agree... I'll work on the cracks.
Private RjBeals

Postby d.gishman on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:42 pm

I kinda liked how the central drought region was all one colour... it's just easier graphically to visualize that area quickly
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:58 pm

I agree. The red circles work, but the previous way of designating the drought area worked better for me.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:17 am

Optimus Prime wrote:I agree. The red circles work, but the previous way of designating the drought area worked better for me.

I liked the overall boring look of the map before, reminds me of in 4th grade when we read a story about the okies, during the depression.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby RjBeals on Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:50 am

You know, I liked it better also like that. The pastel colors don't fit into the dust theme. I'll switch back and keep working on how to limit borders. Thanks for the feedback.
Private RjBeals

Postby militant on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:09 am

RjBeals wrote:2) Since I've added color to the states, the inner "drought" area didn't look good as a shade of red. That gave too much color. Instead I've given red outlined army circles. I think pretty obvious - what about the rest of you?

i thnk you should put some red on the borders of the central drought region and also include the red army circles. i probably have not explained it well, if you dont understand i will explain it again :)
Sergeant 1st Class militant

map dustbowl

Postby loki77 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:57 am

needs more than 5 areas
Corporal loki77

Postby dustn64 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:54 am

This could be my favorite map. (It has my town on it)
Sergeant 1st Class dustn64

Postby RjBeals on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:36 pm

Here's Revise #3 which really goes back to Rev #1. I didn't like the pastel colors on the prev map. I also took out the crop bonus. I don't want that. I adjusted borders on this version also to make it smoother. However, I am still experimenting with impassable borders.. I started adding a red border to indicate impassible, but am not sure. I didn't want to continue if it doesn't get a good response.

Or... I still kind of like the idea of states only being able to attack other states by means of the central drought area. I would have to work on Oklahoma & Texas.

Thought I would throw this up - seeing as how it's fairly simple and there's been a lot of heat towards complex maps recently :wink:
Private RjBeals

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:32 pm

awww....

I liked the pastel colors.

If you are sticking with a dust-color theme, at least try and get some variety between different continent colors.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby tenio on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:46 pm

i liked the dirt cracks better
Cadet tenio

Postby RjBeals on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:56 pm

tenio wrote:i liked the dirt cracks better
Somebody pointed out they look like tree roots - and I thought it was too bold to be in the map. My whole focus was on those cracks. Plus I would need more of them to balance the map and it would have looked bad.

However, I'm just testing the waters with the red borders also. It may take a while, but we'll figure something out.

Thanks -
Private RjBeals

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas