Conquer Club

[Official] Canada REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby TheProwler on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:06 am

WidowMakers wrote:Can i get an answer as to why no one was complaining about the old map please? The new maps colors are actually lighter then the old one. Why the big deal now?

Just a few facts here:

On the new map, you didn't put any Magenta armies in the North, purple area. You didn't put any Red armies in Ontario (the red area). The Green armies that you put in BC were placed in Victoria which is surrounded by the sea (grey) instead of the land (green) like the rest of BC. No Cyan armies in the Maritimes (light blue/greenish area). And you put two sets of Blue armies in Quebec (the blue area); they are very hard to read.

I don't think this is a fair representation of the trouble-spots.

On the old map, the only numbers that are hard to read are in Quebec (where you filled Blue on Blue).

Maybe the best idea would have been to fix the old Quebec.
General TheProwler

Postby cairnswk on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:23 am

rebelman wrote:i have tried to give input around here but it is sometimes extremely difficult to do so. That said I will over the next few days go through all the maps in final forge and post my detailed observations so at least I will have raised my concerns prior to quenching.

I can't see what is so difficult about giving input rebelman. You have no trouble doing it now on this issue :)

As for visitng the maps in FF, I would suggest you make a point of visiting the foundry also, since a lot of these colour issues need to be ironed out WELL BEFORE the maps gets to FF.

Any if you know of any others who have the same colour issue, their input would be well received also.

I must also ask, there is a facility in the MY SETTINGS menu that turns on a letter placed before the actual army number (a facility for the colour blind)...have u used this yet or do you not see it as being helpful?

PS...i have let WM know of your precise concerns.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby rebelman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:02 am

cairnswk wrote:I can't see what is so difficult about giving input rebelman. You have no trouble doing it now on this issue :)

i have outlined this elsewhere (as have others) but instead of draging this thread totally off topic i will pm you what i am refering to.

As for visitng the maps in FF, I would suggest you make a point of visiting the foundry also, since a lot of these colour issues need to be ironed out WELL BEFORE the maps gets to FF.

I intend to but the reason I mentioned final forge is my concern that further maps will be quenched (have been quenched a lot lately) with basic obvious flaws standing out like this one, d day's red numbers etc.

Any if you know of any others who have the same colour issue, their input would be well received also.

will do

I must also ask, there is a facility in the MY SETTINGS menu that turns on a letter placed before the actual army number (a facility for the colour blind)...have u used this yet or do you not see it as being helpful?

yes i have and its not helpful as i know what the colors are i just can't make out the numbers - i have pointed out this shortcoming in this setting elsewhere.

PS...i have let WM know of your precise concerns.

thanks
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:00 am

Night Strike wrote:
Night Strike wrote:I found a difference between the XML and map text. "Gaspes" on the right side of the map is listed as "Gaspe" in the XML. (Game 1121217)

It looks like this needs to be bumped up since it's an issue regardless of the colors. (And because I like WM missed it.)
I got it. It is fixed. Just waiting to iron out all of this color stuff. :)

Gold Knight wrote: Im not saying the the majority dislike this map, but so far on the forums there has been a lot of hate on the map.
Actually there are lots of people who do like it. I was reading through game logs (before this happened) and very few people said anything negative. Most of the time the minority of people who have an issue are the loudest to speak. Not too many people who like the map are going to come into the forums and start a post.

Oh and here is the new map with colored armies
WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby mibi on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:29 am

the complaints against the new map simply baffle me. the old map was gaudy and damn unreadable in parts.
Captain mibi

Postby rebelman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:11 am

WidowMakers wrote:
Oh and here is the new map with colored armies
WM

looking at the two maps side by side both with numbers surely it is obvious that that the new one is far more difficult to read - in this instance a picture truly tells a 1,000 words
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby rebelman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:02 am

WidowMakers wrote:
The reason i asked is that the colors on the old map are hard, if not harder, to read than the new map. Several people have said this. While I am not saying the numbers are like reading black font on white paper, they are easier to read than the old one. I am not trying to be a pain here but this map went though TONS of criticism and I actually redid the entire thing from scratch after the competition was over. So I am not trying to put our junk and make it harder for people to play.

I guess what I am saying id that if it had been a problem with the old map, people would have complained and then you would have a case. But the did not complain so it is hard for me to understand why it is a problem now.

The main issue I have with this is that the foundry is open and people can voice their opinions and issues. If after a map if quenched and there were no gameplay issues (XML, misspelled names, missing graphics) but people can complain about it and force a fix, then we are all in trouble. A map should not be taken off or required to be drastically changed because a very small percentage of players dislike it. This is a dangerous precedent and I believe should not be allowed.

And again it is not because I don't have time to fix them or don't think I can. It is because the stage is now set for anyone to complain about anything on all of the current maps to potentially make them fix the "problems"

WM

The above quote comes from another thread but as its specific to this map - I am responding here.

i had no difficulty reading the old canada map, the reason for my current difficult is the particular background shade. i'm going to use green as an example - if 2 leafs are different shades of green and both fall on the same lawn, I may be able to distinguish one but not the other. In the old map I can distinguish the numbers from the territories quite easily unfortunately on this new one I'm in trouble and I know by posts i am not alone. This map if it remains unchanged needs a warning attached as was suggested by someone else on another thread. Those of us that are visually impaired in any way should where possible be considered in the map design process eg using the color blind pallet and avoid blending/clashing colors where possible.

Relatively speaking i am new to this site but I am finding my feet all the time. over the last while I have been commenting on maps at the stage where comments should be made (check Gimil's Classic - outside of "joke comments" I have been a regular contributor to that thread over the last while or DiM's AoMight, I commented on cairn's bamboo jack before it reached the foundry and I have posted a few comments in Oaktown's new map, so I am making use of this open policy to comment on maps.

I already said I got a huge shock when this came out to play as I always assumed based on the first post this was a competition thread and this map was never going to be played - I will know better in future (although reading back over the thread from the start to a foundry / site noob like me it really fails to spell it out that this was going to be going into play hence I payed it no attention, other than admiring it from a visual perspective.

I genuinely believe in this instance there is a huge gameplay issue if a selection of players not just me can't make out army numbers that is a fundemental gameplay issue. After the red numbers issue in d day - I appealed to catographers to not clash colors like this and I volunteered to check the maps of anyone that thought they may have a problem and this offer was taken up by some. I already said to cairns I will start in the final forge and work backwards commenting on maps that have obvious clashes this will take some time but it would be great if the cartographers themselves could avoid clashing colors as a rule.

I never said I dislike this map in fact the opposite is true, I really like it that is why it is so frustrating that it is unplayable for me and others like me.

I joined cc at the start of August and this is the second map quenched in that time where a problem like this has arisen - d day first with the red numbers and now this. Actually refering back to gimil's map on an earlier version it looked like he would have a similar problem with numbers but I flagged it on the thread and he changed it when he updated.

Regarding your comments on not setting a precedence, that is your choice but then the site needs to attach a warning to this map that it is not suitable for some with a visual impairment at least then no new member with a problem like mine will play this map and think that all cc's maps are designed in this way.

I have made my comments very clear at this stage on this map and despite what you said above if I encounter problems with quenched maps in the future I will highlight them obviously if I see them prior to quenching i will flag them then and i hope others will continue to do the same.
Private rebelman

Postby yeti_c on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 am

Looking at the above pictures -> I feel that Blue and Red are harder to read on the old map...

However I notice that Green is harder to read on the new map...

BTW - I've got good eyesight.

Widow -> the colours? Did the original Cartographer ask you to keep them the same?

C.

PS Regardless of this issue however -> the new Canada map is far far far far superior to the previous one.

PPS I've just uploaded a new version of BOB (2.5+) this should help with the sight issues - although I agree it's not a perfect fix... it definitely patches over the cracks...
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby hecter on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:03 pm

WM, why don't you go through your map and add army circles. I imagine this has been said quite a bit already though... Just thought I'd restate it to piss you off :)
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Coleman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:26 pm

With the small territories like North Bay army circles would be difficult without resizing or moving all of the text. This is not something I plan on making WidowMakers do, and I doubt Andy will either.

The map is fine as is. WidowMakers has been more patient with all of you than he really has needed to be and I think you should all be pleased that DiM didn't win the revamp vote, which everyone had access to, where people picked the best one and voted for this one or we would have a different conversation right now.

No offense meant to DiM of course. :wink: ... hot head
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby rebelman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:36 pm

Coleman wrote:With the small territories like North Bay army circles would be difficult without resizing or moving all of the text. This is not something I plan on making WidowMakers do, and I doubt Andy will either.

The map is fine as is. WidowMakers has been more patient with all of you then he really has needed to be and I think you should all be pleased that DiM didn't win the revamp vote, which everyone had access to, where people picked the best one and voted for this one or we would have a different conversation right now.

No offense meant to DiM of course. :wink: ... hot head

Coleman this reminds of your initial reaction to d day and red numbers - there has been a significant negative reaction from players who are having genuine problems but f**k them the map looks great. I genuinely would expect a mod. to see the bigger picture and understand no matter how good a map looks if its not playable that is a huge problem. I hope andy / cairns do not share your appearance first, playability second views if that is the case we need a mod in this forum with their priorities in the right order.
Private rebelman

Postby Coleman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:41 pm

The red numbers had a much larger reaction than this one. And it was a brand new map.

This is a revamp. The numbers, despite what you are telling me, are far more legible on this map than the previous one. I can't be convinced otherwise. Andy outranks me. If he feels otherwise he can force WidowMakers to change it. I'm just saying that I will not, and that in my opinion it is fine as is.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:22 am

Per Andy's request.
New-New
Old-New
Major WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:24 am

I can't see much difference - what have you changed?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:25 am

yeti_c wrote:I can't see much difference - what have you changed?

C.
Blue , red, green
Major WidowMakers

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:25 am

I think you may have a winner, WM. Green on Green looks better, Blue on Blue looks better. And the rest looks readable.

What do the rest of you think?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:26 am

Coleman wrote:The red numbers had a much larger reaction than this one. And it was a brand new map.

This is a revamp. The numbers, despite what you are telling me, are far more legible on this map than the previous one. I can't be convinced otherwise. Andy outranks me. If he feels otherwise he can force WidowMakers to change it. I'm just saying that I will not, and that in my opinion it is fine as is.

Coleman i am many things but a lier is not one of them, I could read numbers on the last one, I cant on this one ...........fact

Have you counted the negative comments on all the threads ?

There have been more individuals criticised this than the red numbers as someone involved in both campaigns i am certain of this. But in case you do not believe me i will list them here (these are coming from 5 seperate threads)

critics (excluding me) who have issues over the readability / playability of this new map:

.Kush wrote:just plan ugly and confusing. changed the map in the middle of my game too. i dont like it at all

Dancing Mustard wrote:
.Kush wrote:just plan ugly and confusing

Sounds like a pretty acurate representation to me

Risktaker17 wrote:I like the old one better.

nikola_milicki wrote:I like old one better, maybe there should be a poll to decide

D.IsleRealBrown wrote:This should have been a pole.

And Widowmakers, please GFY FTW.

AndrewB wrote:I dont like it either. It was one of my favorite maps before, now it is too busy with graphics, and I won't play it anymore.

And I did check the thread before it was quenched. But saying "I don't like it" apparently is not good enough, so I didnt bother.

Syzygy wrote:
rebelman wrote:
Syzygy wrote:I prefer the new style. Both maps are easily playable. I really don't see what the hell is the problem here?

see my post above it is extremely difficult to see army numbers for someone like me with not so perfect sight - although i suspect even those with good eyesight will struggle to see green army numbers in B.C.

Ah, alright. That does make perfect sense. Isn't there a colourblind option in Greasemonkey though?

But if the colourblind isn't , I'm sure widowmakers would fix that.

That good point aside, there isn't anything else bad about the map.

amazzony wrote:
The Fuzzy Pengui wrote:
amazzony wrote:And Canada map - it looks great! But I haven't played it so I don't know how playable it is.

The playability is the same as before...there weren't any changes to the playability, except I think there may have been a 4 way border before that has been resolved, but not 100% sure....GREAT JOB WM!

Yeah, I know, I just meant if it's harder to see the troops on some territories (like rebelman mentioned) or if some borders are more... "foggy"/harder to notice. I didn't make myself clear enough :oops:

TheProwler wrote:I don't use any plug-ins/add-ins for this site and I hope I never have to.

Can you imagine a new user to the site playing his first few games on the new Canada map? What a bad first impression. Maps like this will cost CC users and money.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to say "And to play this map, use this plug-in with this setting or this other plug-in with this setting." Why not just make the map work well without any plug-in or add-on or whatever??

Aerial Attack wrote:rebelman,

I can "see" where you are coming from. On a map like Canada v2 - the colorblind feature won't actually help you. You'll still get a letter of a color (blended into the background) that you can't differentiate from certain areas of the game map. The map fade feature of AJAX BOB will help somewhat (so long as you don't fade too much - thanks OPie).

The biggest difference is that this is one of the few maps that does NOT use Army Circles. These usually carry either much lighter or much darker shading which gives a contrast to both the army numbers and the map area. I guess not enough people with bad eyesight visit the Foundry.

Adding army circles would definitely improve people's ability to differentiate the number of armies (not just whose armies) are in a specific location. Unfortunately, members of the Foundry [with good eyesight] thought army circles took something away from the stunning visual nature of the map.

Maybe there needs to be wording in "my settings" (near the Colorblind feature) that says "if you are in some way visually impaired, make sure to visit the foundry and comment on maps in production"

NOTE: I can see just fine (for the moment), but I definitely use BOB and the Colorblind/Map Fade features.

lord voldemort wrote:seems fair...though i dnt have any current tournys with canada...
:arrow: agreeing with my suggestion to exclude this flawed map from tournies unless/until it is fixed

apologies to those I left out above I wanted to shoe coleman just a representative sample so he understood the outcry this has caused

There were several other comments in flame wars about this seriously flawed map but as this is not a flaming thread I will not repost them.

[/b]
Private rebelman

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:27 am

Major WidowMakers

Postby rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:32 am

ok i have been drinking tonight and i will probably regret this post in the morning but it now looks like the map is moving :shock: :shock: :shock:
Private rebelman

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:33 am

rebelman wrote:Coleman i am many things but a lier is not one of them, I could read numbers on the last one, I cant on this one ...........fact

Have you counted the negative comments on all the threads ?

There have been more individuals criticised this than the red numbers as someone involved in both campaigns i am certain of this. But in case you do not believe me i will list them here (these are coming from 5 seperate threads)
The most vocal people are sometimes the ones who like things these least. But that does not make those people the majority. By simple showing 15 names of people who don't like it, you have not shown how a majority don't.

So here you go. The blue color is now all washed out and flat. The red is the same. The green is just covered up with blurry clouds and is now neon.

WM
Last edited by WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:34 am

rebelman wrote:ok i have been drinking tonight and i will probably regret this post in the morning but it now looks like the map is moving :shock: :shock: :shock:
Give me a break. It is to show the changes between versions (uplaoded and edited).

P.S. Next time a map is in Final Forge do us all a favor and talk then , not later.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:39 am

WidowMakers wrote:
rebelman wrote:ok i have been drinking tonight and i will probably regret this post in the morning but it now looks like the map is moving :shock: :shock: :shock:
Give me a break. It is to show the changes.

P.S. Next time a map is in Final Forge do us all a favor and talk then , not later.

WM

i already said i will comment on each of the maps in final forge (have commented on some already) but if i spot something post quenching i will still post that (this happens with lots of new products after hitting the market).
Private rebelman

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:42 am

rebelman wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
Give me a break. It is to show the changes.

WM

i already said i will comment on each of the maps in final forge (have commented on some already) but if i spot something post quenching i will still post that (this happens with lots of new products after hitting the market).
Good, I hope this issue can be averted in the future. So what do you think of the new map?
Major WidowMakers

Postby rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:44 am

deleted
Last edited by rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private rebelman

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:45 am

I think the latest update done by WM is good and dandy. It should clear up the issue, and we can finally put this thread to rest. :) We'll give it a day, and see if anyone has anything to comment, and then we'll see about uploading the final version after that.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas