Conquer Club

Battle of Waterloo [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:31 am

Coleman wrote:Well, it's all much better for me thanks. Ready to be moved? You're odd in wanting to wait sometimes. :lol:

i don't want to be odd this time. :wink: Thanks
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:33 am

Version 7

Small

Large

Private cairnswk

Postby Aerial Attack on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:19 am

Hey Cairnswk,

I like the changes you've made so far - the cavalry designs are sweet.

I'm about a get out my fine tooth comb, so I apologize in advance if it's harsh.

1) This is the most difficult change and you probably won't want to do it. Seeing as how the French/British are mostly up/down the map - maybe the little markers could have the reds on top and the blues on the bottom. Then again, I don't know if that would turn out ...

2) There seem to be several potential overlaps which may or may not be meant (keep in mind, I'm using the LARGE map):

CI3 connects to SI2 and CI2 - seems to be on purpose, maybe just angle the connection slightly more to the left
KI2 connects to CA3 (at CA2/CA3 border) - unsure if this is as meant, maybe square the angle off
AI2 (connected to UC3, UC4, other AI2, and YC5) has it's left border obscured by crossing the road. If you switch the positioning of the Infantry symbol to the right
AI2 is repeated - I assume this is supposed to be AI3 (square box next to road and shrubbery and YC6 and YC5)?
NI1 is connected to KI1 and YC4 - maybe angle KI1/YC4 border right at NI1 connection
UC3 connects to UC2 (at UC2/PA2 border) - unsure if this is as meant, maybe angle UC1/UC3 border up at UC2 connection or UC2/PA2 border down at UC3 connection
PI3/PC1 border - why have shrubbery (for looks I guess), considering the small gap right there at the bottom (seems to still block PI3/PC2 attacks)
UC1/YC6 border - there's shrubbery there, but it's unclear if only blocks AI2 or also YC6 (likely)
DA2 connects to DA3 (at DI6/DA3 border) - seems like is should, but with so much room why cut it so close
DI4 connects to DA2 (at DA1/DA2 border) - not sure this is as meant
RI4 seems to use a smaller font than RA1 and RI3 - actually I'm noticing some slight font differentials in other places too (BI5, BI4, and all BCs) seem small/blocky - like CL1 & 2
PC2 connects with ZC2 - this seems fine, but with the road there you might want to angle the ZC2/ZC3 border down at the PC2 connection
DI2/UC5 border has pixel overlap (goes across to PI1 too)
RI3 connects to RI1 (at RI1/RI2 border) - the angle on the RA1/RI3 border doesn't seem to go enough to the left.
LI5 connects to LI2 (at LI2/DI7 border) - this seems to be as meant
LI2 connects to LI3 (at LI1/LI3 border) - this seems to be as meant

3) The dead space between Napoleon and BC1 and Plancenoit - what exactly is this, it's the only terr with a "battle background" and no label

4) The village names are quite long and why is Mont St Jean there [not in the village key]. I assume Bois de Paris is nothing.

5) If you are going to give Napoleon a different background color - should you do the same for Wellington?

6) I think in the legend it should be Hedge Row [so as not to crowd the map].

Thanks for listening.

- Aerial Attack
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:59 am

Aerial Attack wrote:Hey Cairnswk,

I like the changes you've made so far - the cavalry designs are sweet.

I'm about a get out my fine tooth comb, so I apologize in advance if it's harsh.
Thanks for listening.

- Aerial Attack

Thanks aerial attack....i am printing this out as i type and will go through it with my fine tooth comb this evening. I very much appreciate you input. :wink: and will post some results as soon as I have done them.
I am happy to have CC direct me on this map (within reason)...it is a most difficult map if opne is to take advantage of all the battle facilities available to make it a grand map.
Private cairnswk

VErsion 8 Update

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:26 am

Yeti C

I've been through and made most of those adjustments you asked for above.
Hope this satisfies....I didn't change the icons for top/bottom but this will have to be attended to somehow in the legend.

I've also changed the bonus bars to a more gold colour (although still not there yet...something i have to learn yet)

I think they will look better all this colour, because the red/blue doesn't really matter with the key codes.

Also...if the XML will permit....i will be writing the full code out.

For example.....DA1 will be noted as

DA1 - D'erlon Artillery 1

This should be better for identification for everyone to esnure there are no mix ups.

Version 8 Small

Version 8 Large

Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:06 am

I don't think that DA5 can be conquered from it's original territory?

It's protected from behind by hedges - and the cavalry is more than 2 away from it...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:19 am

yeti_c wrote:I don't think that DA5 can be conquered from it's original territory?

It's protected from behind by hedges - and the cavalry is more than 2 away from it...

C.

You're right of course....i'll alter in the next version. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Aerial Attack on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:10 am

yeti_c wrote:I don't think that DA5 can be conquered from it's original territory?

C.

The cavalry (BC2) can't jump hedges *chuckle*?

Cairnswk,

Excellent update. It feels so good to be heard.

Two more quick things.

1. There are two PA2s - I assume one is supposed to be PA3

2. I like what you did with the hedges between PC1 and PI3, but the changes you made to PC1's borders need more defining. Either you didn't erase the previous borders enough or you haven't defined the new ones enough. I'm going to assume that what you want is for PC2 (instead of PC1 - otherwise, why have the hedge) to have access to PI3

I think you should move the PI3 hat up 1 pixel and cut off PI2 and PI3 from PI4 on their side (the one with hedge) of the road. This way the PI1 border is slightly more clear that it reaches to the PI2 hedges and the PC2 border is more clear that it reaches the PI3 hedges. Finally, you need to darken the border from the PC1/PC2 border (from the PI3 hedge to ZC2) and erase the extraneous border from road (creates a faint non-terr triangle between PI3, PC1, and PC2)

I hope I explained that correctly - too bad I can't draw otherwise it would be simple.
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby I GOT SERVED on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:40 pm

The only issue I have with this map is that the color scheme makes it look very bleak. If that's what you're aiming for, then great. But I would like to see at least a slight variety of color in this map.

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby mibi on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:41 pm

I dunno Cairns, they may be a market for this map, but I think the learning curve is as steep as it gets. It also kinda looks like a jello mold.

Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:49 pm

What if the artillery can attack neighboring artillery but bombard everywhere else? That would solve the fortification issues I'm worried about. It seems impractical to need to get calvary from somewhere to fortify your artillery.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Coleman wrote:What if the artillery can attack neighboring artillery but bombard everywhere else? That would solve the fortification issues I'm worried about. It seems impractical to need to get calvary from somewhere to fortify your artillery.

But that's the way it would work in the napoleonic wars... apart from a few rammers and cannon pikes - they were unarmed (except for the wacking great cannon of course!)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Coleman on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:01 pm

Well whatever, it seems odd to me. :lol:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:02 pm

I GOT SERVED wrote:The only issue I have with this map is that the color scheme makes it look very bleak. If that's what you're aiming for, then great. But I would like to see at least a slight variety of color in this map.

Thanks i got served....can you explain the slight variety of colour you'd like to see please...different continent colours perhaps?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:41 pm

mibi wrote:I dunno Cairns, they may be a market for this map, but I think the learning curve is as steep as it gets. It also kinda looks like a jello mold.

Thanks for the comments mibi...i would have thought a pudding more appropriate....

Can you explain the learning curve bit, as i dont quite understand this comment?
Private cairnswk

Postby Herakilla on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:55 pm

i still dont like the artillery's attack description because some artilleries would have to attack diagonally. are the artillaries allowed to hit their own forces? cuz unless napolean's artilleries can attack sideways they wont be able to attack anything!

also, what is napolean connected to? NA3 only or NA3 and BC1, the color of his territory ends before it touches BC1
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Herakilla on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:56 pm

nm to napolean comment, didnt realize that the light green areas are still territories
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby mibi on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:07 pm

...comment coming shortly...
Captain mibi

Postby Herakilla on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:14 pm

is MSJ supposed to be a village? is so include it in the bonus, and what about hougmant (however its spelled)
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:17 pm

Herakilla wrote:i still dont like the artillery's attack description because some artilleries would have to attack diagonally. are the artillaries allowed to hit their own forces? cuz unless napolean's artilleries can attack sideways they wont be able to attack anything!

also, what is napolean connected to? NA3 only or NA3 and BC1, the color of his territory ends before it touches BC1

Herakilla...thanks for that offering...can you suggest somethign more appropriate to the artillery description....?
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:18 pm

How about make the artillery batteries attack any opposing forces on the same side of the road as them... That should be easy enough to explain?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Herakilla on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:19 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Herakilla wrote:i still dont like the artillery's attack description because some artilleries would have to attack diagonally. are the artillaries allowed to hit their own forces? cuz unless napolean's artilleries can attack sideways they wont be able to attack anything!

Herakilla...thanks for that offering...can you suggest somethign more appropriate to the artillery description....?

i cant really think of a way to say it simply to save space or a way to generally say it

the other way is to list them like in pearl harbour but that would take up so much room
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Herakilla on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:20 pm

yeti_c wrote:How about make the artillery batteries attack any opposing forces on the same side of the road as them... That should be easy enough to explain?

C.

CA 1 2 3 would only have three territories to hit then, but its a start
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:22 pm

Herakilla wrote:
yeti_c wrote:How about make the artillery batteries attack any opposing forces on the same side of the road as them... That should be easy enough to explain?

C.

CA 1 2 3 would only have three territories to hit then, but its a start

I really meant the middle road...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Herakilla on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:24 pm

middle road would work and that would make it a crucial part of strategy and more realistic
Lieutenant Herakilla

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas