Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Age of Might [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

what bonus scheme do you want?

leave it as it is
47%
version A
7%
version B
9%
version C
37%

Total votes : 68

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:51 am

Agreed.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby tim02 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:21 pm

the number is badly positioned in
Rongar
Highest/Current
Score: 2900
Colonel tim02

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:14 pm

tim02 wrote:the number is badly positioned in
Rongar

thanks for reminding me about this. i think it was posted before but got lost in the gameplay discussion. i shall update the xml later tonight or tomorrow when i get home :)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thisnamedoesntfi on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:23 pm

Some feedback:

As others have said, the map is fun but a bit too fast paced at the moment. I think that either tuning down the bonus armies slightly or adding the armies directly onto the castles like arachnophobia suggested would be good ways of doing this.
Sergeant 1st Class thisnamedoesntfi

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:38 pm

the xml will not be changed, gameplay will remain the same, at least for the moment(*). all suggestions will find their place in chapter 2. this one is done.

(*)maybe at a later date when the map has lived it's life i'll revamp it and change the gameplay
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thisnamedoesntfi on Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:14 pm

I'm sorry to hear that, but I eagerly await version two :D
Sergeant 1st Class thisnamedoesntfi

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:08 pm

i was planning on changing the xml to do the coord fix for rongar but i don't have the xml and when i look on http://www.conquerclub.com/maps i see there are 3 xml for this map. which is the right one? :shock:
Major DiM

Postby Arachnophobia on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:33 am

DiM wrote:the xml will not be changed, gameplay will remain the same, at least for the moment(*). all suggestions will find their place in chapter 2. this one is done.

(*)maybe at a later date when the map has lived it's life i'll revamp it and change the gameplay

This is a really sad announcement, but its your map so your decision. I for one wont play another game on that map for now...

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2007 01:08 Post subject:
i was planning on changing the xml to do the coord fix for rongar but i don't have the xml and when i look on http://www.conquerclub.com/maps i see there are 3 xml for this map. which is the right one? Shocked

Its the Age_Of_Realms:_Might.xml, Age Of Realms: Might is the map's name in the game menues, thus it should be that xml, not the one for Age of might or without the : ...
Lieutenant Arachnophobia

Postby Gilligan on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:00 am

Yeah, it's Age_Of_Realms:_Might.xml
Captain Gilligan

Postby Heimdall on Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Here's another game for which half the territories were never conquered including Villages, Resources and the Sanctuary:

Game 1289816

I'm done playing this map. Going to wait for Chapter 2.
Lieutenant Heimdall

Postby DiM on Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:10 pm

coord fixed for rongar:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l8pn31

also sent to lack
Major DiM

sigh

Postby Piestar on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:12 pm

I have to agree, there is a real balance problem. To a very real degree, playing for the resources is suicide; I doubt that was the intent. I really haven't done much, and I'm starting every turn with almost 20 armies? Shame, the idea looks really cool, but it certainly needs some tweaking.
Sergeant Piestar

Postby Heimdall on Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:24 pm

Seriously , have a look at the following games and tell me that's how you imagined this map to be played. Look at all the leftover Neutrals

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1316534

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1316324

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1316146

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1314203

You might as well get rid of neutral countries. And make it a few countries like doodle earth.
Lieutenant Heimdall

Postby mibi on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Heimdall wrote:Seriously , have a look at the following games and tell me that's how you imagined this map to be played. Look at all the leftover Neutrals

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1316534

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1316324

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1316146

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1314203

You might as well get rid of neutral countries. And make it a few countries like doodle earth.

For real. The way the bonuses work, the castles become a crazy multiplier so by round 4 you have people with 20 armies per turn. For a game to get beyond round 6 or 7 is rare. Which is unfortunate considering this map has all the trappings of an epic game just from the title "age of realms" yet its more of a 'first-to-a-lopsided-bonus" type game. please change the gameplay for next map.

or simply make the castle bonus auto-deploy.
Captain mibi

Busted

Postby pvlk on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:38 am

Well, since I've been busted down to Private largely as a function of playing this game..might I ask, if you don't plan on fixing the imbalances, might you give us some insight into changes in Chapter 2 that might allow us to enjoy more of this lovely board ...and for more turns?
Cadet pvlk

Postby hulmey on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:10 am

DIM is stubborn and however much you ask him to change it, he wont!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby pvlk on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:26 am

But I'm not asking him to change it. He's said Part 2 will be different and suggested gameplay might be affected by the differences.
Cadet pvlk

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:56 am

I still think the castle bonus should be a territorial bonus...

As much as the popularity may be - I still think the gameplay is flawed and would be fixed by this simple change...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby benjikat on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:04 am

yeti_c wrote:I still think the castle bonus should be a territorial bonus...

As much as the popularity may be - I still think the gameplay is flawed and would be fixed by this simple change...

C.

hear hear
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:28 am

chapter 2 people wait for chapter 2. :roll:
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:49 am

DiM wrote:chapter 2 people wait for chapter 2. :roll:

I don't think we should - I think Chapter 1 needs fixing first...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:01 am

yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:chapter 2 people wait for chapter 2. :roll:

I don't think we should - I think Chapter 1 needs fixing first...

C.

fixing needs to be done when something is broken. i don't think this is the case here. if the gameplay was broken then the map wouldn't be played. :wink: indeed some people (including me) would like to see it improved but that would surely upset those that enjoy the map as it is. there are 66 pages of games in a week. i think the only map that managed this number was doodle earth. and just like doodle earth some people would like it to be different. not the case, i'll repeat it for the final time the gameplay will not be changed. this is a trilogy and this allows me to make chapters different, totally different and thus appeal to all kinds of people. probably chapter 2 will be liked by those that ask for a change now and disliked by those that say keep things as they are.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:04 am

But it is broken...

Popularity aside - it's fairly obvious that a map that is meant to have epic gameplay but has an average of 4 rounds per game means that it's broken...

The worst thing is that I've been looking forward to this map for ages... and it's not lived upto any of my expectations... I prefer AOM to this in so many ways...

In AOM I've had some massive games... I've not even gone past round 10 on this one... Very weak in not only my opinion.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 am

yeti_c wrote:But it is broken...

Popularity aside - it's fairly obvious that a map that is meant to have epic gameplay but has an average of 4 rounds per game means that it's broken...

The worst thing is that I've been looking forward to this map for ages... and it's not lived upto any of my expectations... I prefer AOM to this in so many ways...

In AOM I've had some massive games... I've not even gone past round 10 on this one... Very weak in not only my opinion.

C.

well i've played past round 10 and i've had games where resources and villages played a crucial role. i agree it is a very fast map that encourages rushes and rewards big bonuses but that doesn't mean it is wrong. it all depends on your settings and your opponents.
i enjoy it very much so far, especially in 1v1 fog.

the fact that a map hasn't lived up to the expectations of you benjikat and the other people that complained doesn't change the fact that many many others like it. i will not change a map to satisfy 10 people no matter who those people are, sorry buddy.

i always said i make maps i enjoy playing and so far i enjoy aor: might. it's something different.
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:14 am

this map has 58 pages of finished games, but if you take out the 1v1 games, there are only 15 pages. If you take out the speed games as well you are down to 10 pages.

DiM, if you intended to create a quick and easy map for 1v1 then you succeeded, and it is very popular for people looking to use the map in that sense. But somehow, I think you intended the game play to be a bit more epic, and last beyond 10 rounds. Perhaps not, thought. Either way, don't mistake this maps popularity for success, unless that is your only criteria.

Of course I don't expect you to listen to the people clamoring for change anyways, so I will stay out of this thread.
Captain mibi

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas