Conquer Club

Conquer Man [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm

cool! :D 8)
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Gilligan on Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
benjikat wrote:Nice.

I thought the neutrals were going to be 1 for Aliens and 3 for Diamonds... seeing as they are -1 and +1 respectively on their own. As it currently stands, the diamonds are just way too easy to capture.
You are correct. I don't know how I missed that. Maybe it was the other 12,000 line s of code. :D

Anyway here is the updated XML.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... l_Edit.xml
I will also PM lack

Thanks again

WM

That XML must have been painful! :wink:
Captain Gilligan

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Gilligan wrote:That XML must have been painful! :wink:
Well it was big but Coleman did most of the work. He set everything up and I tweaked some of the code.

The biggest part was the number of overrides to adjust for different territory bonuses.

Good job Coleman.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby RjBeals on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:03 pm

whoah!! Nice work homie. can't wait to play !!
Private RjBeals

Postby rebelman on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:04 pm

yeti_c wrote:Conquer Man is well slow with all your XML Coleman!!! (Well with BOB!!)

amen to that great map - but wow is it slow not sure if its bob's or the xml's fault but please can you guys bang your heads together to solve it, especially as their are maps lurking out there that conld have even longer xml.

As I posted in yeti's bob thread i like the psychodelic effect created by bob and this map getting together :lol:
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Change of Colours?

Postby Shino Tenshi on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:12 pm

Great to see the map's made it up. Great work :)

I'm wondering if it's possible to get the orange changed to something that looks noticeably different from the red? I'm finding it rather difficult to tell the difference between the two of them. Maybe yellow, green, or dark blue?
Captain Shino Tenshi

Postby Shino Tenshi on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Woohoo! I broke the game! :D

I was checking out the map in a two player game (1390001) and after it became clear that I had no chance, I thought I'd check to see what happens when you get so many negative bonuses that you have 0 or less to deploy.

The result of having 0 reinfocements is that it doesn't offer a number for you to deploy, only a blank spot. When you try to click deploy, it insists that it's an illegal deployment and doesn't let you continue with your turn. In a few hours I'll be able to confirm what happens with negative reinforcements, but until Lack fixes the problem from a game hardcode standpoint, there may wish to be some protections put in place to make sure a player always has at least 1 reinforcement to deploy.
Captain Shino Tenshi

Postby wicked on Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:33 pm

Shino, your post about this in here is sufficient, I'll delete your duplicate post in the bug forum, as map bugs should be posted here anyway. Thanks.
Major wicked

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:59 pm

Shino Tenshi wrote:Woohoo! I broke the game! :D

I was checking out the map in a two player game (1390001) and after it became clear that I had no chance, I thought I'd check to see what happens when you get so many negative bonuses that you have 0 or less to deploy.

The result of having 0 reinfocements is that it doesn't offer a number for you to deploy, only a blank spot. When you try to click deploy, it insists that it's an illegal deployment and doesn't let you continue with your turn. In a few hours I'll be able to confirm what happens with negative reinforcements, but until Lack fixes the problem from a game hardcode standpoint, there may wish to be some protections put in place to make sure a player always has at least 1 reinforcement to deploy.
Wow good job. I think. I guess the only way to prevent this until lack allows ZERO deploy, is to make the XML give a minimum of 13 bonus.

I don't know exactly how to do this but probably have an override called

Conquer Man negative error fix
Where as long as you hold 1 territory you will receive 13 armies and this will override anything that currently gives less. Does this sound correct?

Again sorry for the issue. But it had to happen eventually.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Coleman on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:18 pm

The end result is the file is 409k now, but I fixed it.

http://members.cox.net/gyrigo/Conquer_Man.xml

Sending it to lack.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Coleman wrote:The end result is the file is 409k now, but I fixed it.

http://members.cox.net/gyrigo/Conquer_Man.xml

Sending it to lack.
This is really just a fix to prevent the game from locking up. The game engine needs to be redone to not allow negative or zero deployable armies. A minimum of 1 army (after all negative bonuses) should be the lowest the game allows.

I will send this to lack and see what he thinks.

WM

P.S. Thanks again Coleman
Major WidowMakers

Postby Shino Tenshi on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:03 am

wicked wrote:Shino, your post about this in here is sufficient, I'll delete your duplicate post in the bug forum, as map bugs should be posted here anyway. Thanks.

I could be mistaken Wicked, but I think the main issue is one that Lack has to deal with. If anything, the post here is the redundant one and the one in the Bug Reports forum should be the one to stay.

The only reason I posted here was to have WM make a temporary fix for the map until Lack could get around to fixing the game's hardcode to make it impossible for this problem to exist. The error is not with the map, but with the site allowing the circumstance to exist.

Should I repost in Bug Reports? I'm not sure what to do at this point to make sure that Lack is aware of the issue so he can fix it.

On a side note, negative reinforcements seem to completely kill the game. I just tried when I had negative reinforcements and instead of giving an 'illegal deployment' error, the game continously tries to refresh the page (the AJAX circle thing keeps spinning). When you try to do a page refresh or try to go back into the game, the site says that the page cannot be found (or maybe it was loaded?). In any case, it produces a more definite death result than the 0 reinforcements error.

I realize the last paragraph is more for Lack's info, but I'm confused as to what to do with the information now that I've been asked to keep it here.
Captain Shino Tenshi

Postby Coleman on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:33 am

Shino, let me just say you are awesome.

Thanks for sacrificing yourself to uncover this error. I don't think it's very likely lackattack will get the fix or new xml up in time to let you play another turn in your game though.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby benjikat on Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 am

The "Conquer Man + Alien + Diamond" +5 bonuses don't currently override the +1 for the diamond alone:

<continent>
<name>Conquer Man + Pink Alien + Diamond</name>
<bonus>5</bonus>

<components>
<component>Conquer Man</component>
<component>Pink Alien</component>
<component>Pink Diamond</component>
</components>

<overrides>
<override>Pink Alien</override>
<override>Conquer Man + Pink Alien</override>
<override>Conquer Man</override>
</overrides>
</continent>

And when are the neutrals going to go live? - currently the game is almost entirely about the diamonds.
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Postby yeti_c on Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:47 am

Shino Tenshi wrote:
wicked wrote:Shino, your post about this in here is sufficient, I'll delete your duplicate post in the bug forum, as map bugs should be posted here anyway. Thanks.

I could be mistaken Wicked, but I think the main issue is one that Lack has to deal with. If anything, the post here is the redundant one and the one in the Bug Reports forum should be the one to stay.

I concur with you here Shino...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:13 am

benjikat wrote:The "Conquer Man + Alien + Diamond" +5 bonuses don't currently override the +1 for the diamond alone:

<continent>
<name>Conquer Man + Pink Alien + Diamond</name>
<bonus>5</bonus>

<components>
<component>Conquer Man</component>
<component>Pink Alien</component>
<component>Pink Diamond</component>
</components>

<overrides>
<override>Pink Alien</override>
<override>Conquer Man + Pink Alien</override>
<override>Conquer Man</override>
</overrides>
</continent>

And when are the neutrals going to go live? - currently the game is almost entirely about the diamonds.
I have been talking to Coleman this morning and he fixed the diamond neutral start number to 3 and this override as well. They all are in the XML he listed on the last page near the bottom.

If you find anything else please let us know.

Thanks again to everyone and Coleman for being such a XML freak.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Forza AZ on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:23 am

I think you miss 1 territory adjustment. In the XML after the 78 follows the 84, so all from 78-83 gives you -6 bonus.

But if I calculate correctly you should get a -5 for 80 territories:

Normal: 80/3 = 26
This map: 30/3 + 30/4 + 20/5 = 10 + 7 + 4 = 21

So that means you should add 2 territory adjustments (80 gives -5; 81 gives -6).
Highest score: 3130 (9 July 2009)
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby rebelman on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:42 am

conquer man has come very close to freezing my firefox on a number of occasions now, if my connection was not as good as it is - i think this could have happened. Has anyone been experiencing similar problems ?
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Gilligan on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:45 am

BOB kills the map. Takes forever to load. Turn BOB off for this map.
Captain Gilligan

Postby yeti_c on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:55 am

rebelman wrote:conquer man has come very close to freezing my firefox on a number of occasions now, if my connection was not as good as it is - i think this could have happened. Has anyone been experiencing similar problems ?

It's got nothing to do with your connection...

The physical amount of data to download is minimal..

It's the processing that BOB is running which is Client side (i.e. on your PC) which is slowing the map down.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Lone.prophet on Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:06 pm

is it supposed to be that pixelated?
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby yeti_c on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:43 pm

Lone.prophet wrote:is it supposed to be that pixelated?

Yes.

It's a remake of a 1970's classic arcade game...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby rebelman on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:16 pm

Private rebelman

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:35 pm

rebelman wrote:bug report

Ignore this... nothing to do with the map.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Taia on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:34 am

I'm having similar problems, the map stalls my firefox everytime I take a turn. It takes a minute or so for each dice roll, fortification, ect.
I see the suggestion of turning off BOB. How can you do this for just this map?
Captain Taia

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas