Conquer Club

XML Modifications and Variations

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:42 am

Standard Army Bonus Adjustment

Description: With this feature, a map could adjust the number of territories it takes to receive 1 bonus army. Currently the game gives 1 army per 3 territories occupied with a minimum of 3.

Here is what I would like
Code: Select all
<Bonus Adjustment>
  <!--Territory Matrix--> 
      <Territory occupied>1-30</Territory occupied>
      <Tert per Bonus>3</Tert per Bonus>
      <Territory occupied>31-60</Territory occupied>
      <Tert per Bonus>4</Tert per Bonus>
      <Territory occupied>61-94</Territory occupied>
      <Tert per Bonus>5</Tert per Bonus>
</Bonus Adjustment>

Why: It will allow a map maker to adjust gameplay. If a map is very large a person who gets a good drop and goes first might be able to quickly hurt the other players.
Currently: The more you have the more you get.
This would change to: The more you have the more you get (but not quite as much as you used to)

Conquer Man has over 12,000 lines of code to do this very thing. With this feature the XML would probably bu under 1,000. It is not a glamorous feature but it is efficient when needed.
Mod Use:
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:44 am

Coleman wrote:I haven't discussed this with Andy yet, but would anyone be mad if I went through this topic and deleted everything that wasn't an xml suggestion?

I'd also delete repeat suggestions.

Or maybe I could copy them into a new topic and lock this one?

It's a lot to go through with all our random chatter mixed in.
Nope. So you can delete this response to a post that is not a suggestion as well.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:44 am

Good idea Coleman. Well Done.
Major WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:54 am

Coleman wrote:I haven't discussed this with Andy yet, but would anyone be mad if I went through this topic and deleted everything that wasn't an xml suggestion?

I'd also delete repeat suggestions.

Or maybe I could copy them into a new topic and lock this one?

It's a lot to go through with all our random chatter mixed in.

Not a bad idea - ensure my suggestions get left in though - they may not be in the correct format!!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:47 pm

WidowMakers wrote:Here is what I would like
<Bonus Adjustment>
  <!--Territory Matrix--> 
</Bonus Adjustment>

Just to jump in and help you here...

It would be better like this...

<Bonus Adjustment>
  <!--Territory Matrix--> 
      <matrix>
         <lower>1</lower>
         <upper>30</upper>
         <coun>3</count>
      </matrix>

(but with better names!)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:23 pm

yeti_c wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:Here is what I would like
<Bonus Adjustment>
  <!--Territory Matrix--> 
</Bonus Adjustment>

Just to jump in and help you here...

It would be better like this...

<Bonus Adjustment>
  <!--Territory Matrix--> 
      <matrix>
         <lower>1</lower>
         <upper>30</upper>
         <coun>3</count>
      </matrix>

(but with better names!)

C.
You are correct. That is MUCH better.

Do you now see why i choose to design rather than code. :D :D :D

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:24 am

Suggestion Idea:
Preferred Neutrals

Description:
Specify territories that would be preferred neutrals, when the number of available territories is not divisible by the number of players.

Why It Should Be Considered:
To allow the designation of neutral spaces when neutrals have to be deployed.

Possible scenarios where this may be useful:
    In a 2 player Classic-type game, you could specify that Australia/South America equivalent continents would be preferred neutral.

If you have a 42-terr map, you could specify 2 preferred neutral terrs for 4/5 player games; to out-of-the-way locations, or somewhere important...

This is subtley different from the Designate Neutral that now exists, and from the much-suggested Player Starting Positions, but perhaps an option that complements the two?

Lack Label (Mod Use):
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Balsiefen on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:05 am

I dont know if these have been suggested before but i just had a brilliant idea for a map and i need them

Suggestion Idea: Kingdoms

Description: Sort of like in other maps such as age of realms but instead of a single territory, a player starts off with, a whole kingdom is used. Each kingdom will have several territories and a player will not start off controlling more than one kingdom (so in a 2 player game, the others will be neutral)

Why It Should Be Considered: I think this would be extreamly good for a new direction in maps. In real life, nations dont start spread around the world, holding places dotted at random, they start off with a single powebase and grow outwards. As i said before, this is essential for a map i want to make in the future. I also think, the more players, the better this would be.

Lack Label (Mod Use):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestion Idea: Kingdom Missions

Description: This ties in with the kingdoms idea. Each kingdom will have its own agenda, for instance, to eliminate neighboring rivals and control certain realms and territories. The mission could be seen by pressing a link next to the map.

Why It Should Be Considered: Again, i think it could really expand gameplay, each player having his own agenda, it may enable them to choose allies that suit their needs more carefully, knowing that they will proberbly not have to go to war with them

Lack Label (Mod Use):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestion Idea: Mission Cards

Description: This is similar to kingdom missions but it could apply to all maps as a turn on/off feature like fog of war. On the classic board game there are a number of missions, each about equally as hard (control africa asia and a third cont of your choice; eliminate the yellow player, ect), These could all be assinged at random to the players and they win when they complet the mission. Again, the mission could be seen when a link to the side is clicked.

Why It Should Be Considered: This is not an essential feature for the map i am planning but it would be somthing i would quite like to see (although there may be some maps whare it would be impossible) I dont think it would be too hard to think up a selection of fair missions for each map. It would add the gameplay of players constantly trying to guess the missions of the other players to see if their a threat and to try to stop them winning if it looks as if they're getting close.

Lack Label (Mod Use):
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby yeti_c on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:15 am

Mission Cards aren't XML features...

Kingdoms would be - but would be covered by "pre assigned starting locations" or similar...

Map and Starting location specific missions could work - but need to get them in first!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Balsiefen on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:00 am

yeti_c wrote:Mission Cards aren't XML features...

Kingdoms would be - but would be covered by "pre assigned starting locations" or similar...

Map and Starting location specific missions could work - but need to get them in first!!

C.

To get them in what?

Postby yeti_c on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:07 am

Balsiefen wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Mission Cards aren't XML features...

C.

To get them in what?

"Starting Locations" & "Missions"

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Herakilla on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:08 am

hes saying that previous suggestions would do what you want but we need to get them installed first

EDIT: fastposted and tired
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Balsiefen on Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:37 am

Sorry, i'm not feeling very bright today ](*,)

Postby hecter on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Coleman wrote:Suggestion Idea:
Simple X for Y Bonuses

Description:
Lets say I have a group of 15 territories, lets call them power plants. I want to be able to do this:
3 Power Plants +1 Army
6 Power Plants +3 Armies
9 Power Plants +5 Armies
12 Power Plants +7 Armies
15 Power Plants +10 Armies

Technically this is possible with the current xml but it is impossible to do without millions of lines of code on our end using combinations of positive and negative bonuses. There should be a better way.

Lack Label (Mod Use): [Yes]

I see a yes label on this... When will it be coming out? It certainly would help with ConquerMan, a map a like but can't play because of the greasemonkey lag (I know I can just turn it off, but I'm useless without my monkey! :( )
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:02 pm

Lack will be looking at the XML updates shortly, they are high up on the priority list, though right behind some communication with rackspace about some of the recent login issues.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:03 pm

hecter wrote:
Coleman wrote:Suggestion Idea:
Simple X for Y Bonuses

Description:
Lets say I have a group of 15 territories, lets call them power plants. I want to be able to do this:
3 Power Plants +1 Army
6 Power Plants +3 Armies
9 Power Plants +5 Armies
12 Power Plants +7 Armies
15 Power Plants +10 Armies

Technically this is possible with the current xml but it is impossible to do without millions of lines of code on our end using combinations of positive and negative bonuses. There should be a better way.

Lack Label (Mod Use): [Yes]

I see a yes label on this... When will it be coming out? It certainly would help with ConquerMan, a map a like but can't play because of the greasemonkey lag (I know I can just turn it off, but I'm useless without my monkey! :( )

This already exists - the Conquerman code uses this feature...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby wrightfan123 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:42 pm

I'm beginning to see more and more people suggesting things that aren't really RISK, but real war games. Like losing armies for winter and dehydration and crap like that... I don't know if I'm for it or against it.

-W123
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby hecter on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:14 pm

yeti_c wrote:This already exists - the Conquerman code uses this feature...

C.

Then why on earth is the code so long? You'd think it would be shorter, but I guess not...

Well then, how about a play on that idea?

Suggestion Idea: Allow Multiple Required in One Continent Set

Description: Right now, you can only have one required per territory set, correct? Why can't we have more? It could work like this:
<continent>
   <name>NAME</name>
   <bonus>##</bonus>
   <components>
      <component>A</component>
      <component>B</component>
      <component>C</component>
      <component>D</component>
      <required>2
          <bonus>##</bonus>
      </required>
      <required>3
          <bonus>##</bonus>
      </required>
   </components>
</continent>

Why It Should Be Considered: It would allow for quicker and easier coding, and would allow addons to run faster.

Lack Label (Mod Use):
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby Coleman on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:31 pm

wrightfan123 wrote:I'm beginning to see more and more people suggesting things that aren't really RISK, but real war games. Like losing armies for winter and dehydration and crap like that... I don't know if I'm for it or against it.

-W123
The good news is you'll still have all the current maps, many of which don't deviate from risk a whole lot.

I think a method that separates lists, maybe even so far as a drop down where you can't even see the whole list at once would help players like you ignore players and maps who want to do more with the same user interface.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby unriggable on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:26 pm

wrightfan123 wrote:I'm beginning to see more and more people suggesting things that aren't really RISK, but real war games. Like losing armies for winter and dehydration and crap like that... I don't know if I'm for it or against it.

-W123

Age of Magic has this.
Cook unriggable

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:55 am

hecter wrote:
yeti_c wrote:This already exists - the Conquerman code uses this feature...

C.

Then why on earth is the code so long? You'd think it would be shorter, but I guess not...

Well then, how about a play on that idea?

Suggestion Idea: Allow Multiple Required in One Continent Set

Description: Right now, you can only have one required per territory set, correct? Why can't we have more? It could work like this:
<continent>
   <name>NAME</name>
   <bonus>##</bonus>
   <components>
      <component>A</component>
      <component>B</component>
      <component>C</component>
      <component>D</component>
      <required>2
          <bonus>##</bonus>
      </required>
      <required>3
          <bonus>##</bonus>
      </required>
   </components>
</continent>

Why It Should Be Considered: It would allow for quicker and easier coding, and would allow addons to run faster.

Lack Label (Mod Use):

I can't see this working with the current code that Lack has - however if you check back a couple of pages you will see a similar idea to this - but purely based on the territory count modification - that would be better for Lack and for me.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby lackattack on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:29 am

I caught up on the suggestions because it's time for another round of xml extensions. I want to keep this batch smallish to stay on target for a January forum upgrade. Here is my feedback on the new suggestions:

Note: Any sort of dynamic XML (i.e. something triggers a different set of rules mid-game) would be put off yet again because of complexity.

EDIT: nothing is set in stone, please feel free to debate my decision tags

Variable basic army grants / Standard Army Bonus Adjustment

<Bonus Adjustment>
      <matrix>
         <lower>1</lower>
         <upper>30</upper>
         <count>3</count>
      </matrix>

With xml like above [Yes]

Converting Territories Surround = conquer is very non risk-like. Not sure if it should be a game option, at the map level or at the territ level. I'd say [No] (or [Maybe] if there is enough demand).

Variable Attack Range This is actually 2 ideas. Since you can mimic attack range by listing a bunch of bombardments, this isn't priority. The variable part is just a subset of the dynamic xml idea. [No] (or [Maybe] if there is enough demand).

One-time Bonus [No] (or [Maybe] if there is enough demand).

Multiple X/Y coordinates even though I don't understand it, [No]

Win condition - number of armies [No] (or [Maybe] if there is enough demand)

Random assigned xml features This doesn't seem to be worth the cost. [No] (or [Maybe] if there is enough demand).

Motion detectors Forting / advancing could be a trigger for dynamic xml. [Maybe]

Starting positions by color The order of joining the game should not affect gameplay. Do we really need starting positions considering we already have DiM's technique? [No]

Nested Continents I really like this one, plus I don't want DiM to TP my house!

<continent>
  <name>A</name>
  <components>
    <component type="territory">B</component>
    <component type="continent">C</component>
  </components>
  <bonus>0</bonus>
</continent>

I propose xml like this, with type="territory" optional for backwards compatibility. The xml checker would have to test for infinite loops, and you may have to define a continent before you reference it but I'm not sure yet. [Yes]

Territory Hold Time Bonus [No] (or [Maybe] if there is enough demand).

RESETTING NEUTRAL TERRITORIES / Respanwing Neutrals [Yes]

SENTRY TERRITORIES

<visibles>
  <visible>territory</visible>
</visibles>

Cool idea but quite a bit of work when you can have something similar using borders or bombardments. [Maybe]

Continent Bonus Applied to a Territory [Maybe]

Preferred Neutrals Not fun to program [No]

Deffered Armies [No] (or [Maybe] if there is enough demand).

Kingdoms Care to provide an example of how this xml would work, because I can't picture it. [No] (or [Maybe] if we can spec it out).

Kingdom Missions Objectives exist and should do the trick [No]

Mission Cards not really an xml thing [No]

Allow Multiple Required in One Continent Set This could reduce the XML but our current technique allows for better log entries (e.g. "holding two zeroes" vs "holding four zeroes") [No]

So in summary, I'd like to go ahead with the 3 "yes" items listed above. I might be able to include a 4th, which would be from the maybes here or the yeses/maybes from the previous batch that didn't make it.
Last edited by lackattack on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:55 am

lackattack wrote:I caught up on the suggestions because it's time for another round of xml extensions. I want to keep this batch smallish to stay on target for a January forum upgrade. Here is my feedback on the new suggestions:

Note: Any sort of dynamic XML (i.e. something triggers a different set of rules mid-game) would be put off yet again because of complexity.

Lackattack..forgive if i am vague....but what about player starting positions.

I am wanting this for Das Schloss map, where one starting region of the map requires a start by one each of the players, but other areas separate again on the map can have a normal random disbursement.
For example.
Area A: needs to start with one of each player (like programming nuetrals)
Areas B and C can start with a random order.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:55 am

lackattack wrote:Starting positions by color The order of joining the game should not affect gameplay. Do we really need starting positions considering we already have DiM's technique? [No]
I disagree with this one sort of.

Starting by color is bad. I don't like that either.

I would like to be able to set starting territories by player count. Like there would be a section for each player count 2 through 8 (if 7 and 8 are viable) and then we set up a tag for each player (player 1, player 2, ect) inside these and then we give them all the countries we want them to always have.

Any countries not set to someone (doesn't matter which color, each person randomly sorts into one of these players) are handed out randomly as normal.

This may be insanely hard to code. Like if I said in a 2 player game Player one should always have X Y & Z and player two should always have A B C D E then of the ones left whoever managed to be player one would need 2 extra so it's still even.

The advantage would be we don't have to keep blanketing the maps in neutrals to make sure someone always has one or two of an important territory. Like if DiM wanted to make his last map 'Chaos' or something, and everyone started with a castle but everyone also randomly got the rest he could do it.

I doubt DiM is planning that... but if he was...

Anyway, you mentioned wanting to keep this smallish, so in the interest of that this can be put off but we'll probably ask for it again.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby lackattack on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:16 am

Okay, so something like this?

<positions>
   <position>
      <components>
         <component>territ 1</component>
         <component>territ 2</component>
         <component>territ 3</component>
      </components>
   </position>
   <position>
      <components>
         <component>territ 4</component>
         <component>territ 5</component>
         <component>territ 6</component>
      </components>
   </position>
</positions>
Last edited by lackattack on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant lackattack

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions