Conquer Club

I Got A Question

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Coleman wrote:Point or not, that particular example wouldn't work because someone is going to get to go first and get +100 units more then enough to kill everyone. serious game play flaw

gameplay flaw according to your opinion (and mine and every normal player's) but for the build up fans it's not a flaw. it's a quality.

Coleman wrote:Second, there are intersecting lines that I am assuming are the attack routes where they don't need to intersect. significant graphics flaw

lines can be improved or can even be completely removed and an explanation like: "all terits can attack eachother" so no graphic flaw.

so who am i or who are you to decide weather a map has good gameplay or not? if the majority in a poll decides the map is great why can't it be quenched?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:47 pm

freezie wrote:If it answers the basic map-making sticky, I think they have to give it a chance if it's what people want. That exemple has NO way it would be playable. World 0.5 is playable. And follow a theme.

The difference is there.

the example i presented above is in fact very playable but only for a selected few maniacs that love build-up games.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby freezie on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Actually, someone would be able to take out everyone else on their first turn. No matter what. There is no play on that.

Beside that..if everyone think this map is playable..and follow the lines of map-making, then yea it could be quenched. Has to be playtested, though.

Your exemple though is over-exagerated.
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:53 pm

freezie wrote:Actually, someone would be able to take out everyone else on their first turn. No matter what. There is no play on that.

Beside that..if everyone think this map is playable..and follow the lines of map-making, then yea it could be quenched. Has to be playtested, though.

Your exemple though is over-exagerated.

ofcourse it's over exagerated i'm trying to make a point here.
an absurd map with enough support. will it be quenched like in a democracy? or will it be shot down like in a dictatorship?
Major DiM

Postby freezie on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:56 pm

An absurd map that is playable and follow the rules with enough support, could be quenched.

I think. I am not the mods.

Absurdity doesn't mean not-playable. It can have the touch of humour, and still be playable.

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:06 pm

freezie wrote:An absurd map that is playable and follow the rules with enough support, could be quenched.

I think. I am not the mods.

Absurdity doesn't mean not-playable. It can have the touch of humour, and still be playable.

but what is considered playable and what is not? there are no clear guidelines to say it exactly. my example is unplayable for some but playable for others. if those that consider it playable are more than those that consider it unplayable will it be quenched even if andy or keyogi are in the unplayable side? it think this is the whole point of this thread. to determine if andy or keyogi have the power to overide the majority. and if they do have it, there is the obvious question: should they have this power? or should anybody have it?
Major DiM

Postby Iliad on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:18 pm

World 0.5 is a good map and is VERY original. It has a refreshingly new theme and would be fun to play on. If you don't like then don't play on it.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby vakEirn79 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:31 pm

First of all, DiM's example is a very extreme case. The way it's set up, no matter what, the first person to get a turn can win immediately if he wants to. While build-up fanatics may enjoy it, the site has no method to freeze attacks for the first x turns, so the map is not viable. I think one clear-cut playability issue is if the map requires the players to agree on house rules before starting the game, just to keep it fair.

I understand what he's trying to say though, so I'm going to raise a related question: How important is the appeal of a map?

Isn't appeal the reason people try so hard to make the graphics look as perfect as possible? Isn't that why so much time is spent on what font and color words should be, and how legends should be laid out?

I think World 0.5 has a lot of appeal to people looking for a casual game. Since it doesn't have a game-crippling flaw, I think it should be given a chance to see some play. Sure, someone could be eliminated before their first turn in a 6-player game, but if 6 people all join that game, they know what they're getting into. If you play with 3 or 4 players on the map, I don't see why it's so unplayable. If someone could provide solid evidence, or a specific reason for that, they should post it in the thread for discussion, but I doubt any of the nay-sayers have done extensive playtesting (not a dig at them, but if a map doesn't appeal to me, I certainly wouldn't bother playtesting it).

In DiM's example map, no possible setup could prevent the first player from winning. Also, I don't see any aesthetic or thematic appeal, so aside from those buildup players, I doubt anyone would play it. World 0.5, however, seems like it has a decent chance of gathering an assortment of players.
Last edited by vakEirn79 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal vakEirn79

Postby Spockers on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:31 pm

Iliad wrote:World 0.5 is a good map and is VERY original. It has a refreshingly new theme and would be fun to play on. If you don't like then don't play on it.

Oh right sorry, I didn't realise the foundry only allowed positive opinions, and that you always had to agree with the majority.

Won't happen again.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby freezie on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 pm

Spockers wrote:
Iliad wrote:World 0.5 is a good map and is VERY original. It has a refreshingly new theme and would be fun to play on. If you don't like then don't play on it.

Oh right sorry, I didn't realise the foundry only allowed positive opinions, and that you always had to agree with the majority.

Won't happen again.

You once again show your hate to that map, we know it, he'll continue to develop it. Please try to stay on subject and post some relevent issues to what have been asked. Also...:

1) Cry a river
2) Build a bridge
3) GET OVER IT

As for what Dim said. Playability is determined by playtesting the map enough. If a map offers enough viable setups to create viable games, it's playable. In your exemple, whoever go first can win anyday. No matter what. Build-up fans would like it, but it's unplayable since anyone can win without leaving a single chance to their opponents. A very bad setup can happen to any map, and some players could be left defenceless anyday, but the odds of that are slimmer. In your exemple, everyone but the first-turner is defenceless, NO MATTER THE SETUP. So it's unplayable.
Last edited by freezie on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vakEirn79 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:46 pm

actually, as a technicality, there is ONE way in which first player can't win on DiM's map - if the first player's only territory is the centre star :P

So, change my previous statement to "no possible setup could prevent one of the first two players from winning"
Corporal vakEirn79

Postby freezie on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:49 pm

vakEirn79 wrote:actually, as a technicality, there is ONE way in which first player can't win on DiM's map - if the first player's only territory is the centre star :P

So, change my previous statement to "no possible setup could prevent one of the first two players from winning"

Then second player is the winner. 3rd 4th 5th 6th have NO chances.

Does it matters...not really.

Postby vakEirn79 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:51 pm

I know, it was a joke, hence the :P
Corporal vakEirn79

Postby freezie on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:54 pm

Ahh yes...

Sorry, my tiredness is getting over my mind and affecting my reason...( NO links to eight thoughts map) :roll:

Postby Coleman on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:44 am

Spockers wrote:

Won't happen again.

:-({|=
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Nikolai on Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:55 am

DiM wrote:the point is, do we have a democracy where the majority decides? or do we have a sort of elite dictatorship where only a few foundry members can decide if a map is good enough for the quench?

Y'know, I keep hearing all of this talk about a democracy, and I'm tired of it. Let's settle something. CC is not a democracy. Neither is the Map Foundry. It's an autocracy, and it will never be anything else. lack and Andy are extremely kind and are interested in making the site and the maps the best they can possibly be, so they actively seek input from anyone who feels like giving it - and we appreciate this, and occasionally abuse it. But in the end, the only person who can quench a map is Andy, and the only person who can put it on the site is lack. STOP TRYING TO ELEVATE YOUR OWN IMPORTANCE! You're a member of a community, true. But it's a community that only exists because of one person, and while your contribution is important - and appreciated - you don't carry final authority. The popular masses that de Tocqueville wrote about don't carry final authority here. They carry authority, but only because lack/Andy (who depends on in what sense) is willing to listen to you, and them, in the quest for a better site.

Now, with that out of the way, there are a couple of important points which have been raised here.
1) What is playability?
2) How many people need to be interested in a map to make it worth the time and effort necessary to make the map feasible as part of the site?

1. This is a question I really don't want to deal with, because (as has been mentioned) there are different standards, and mine happen to be well beyond the minimums demanded by the mods and the foundry in general. But it's still a fair question.
2. This is a question that should be settled by the mods, not by us. They're the ones that have to put in the effort to put the map on the site. The mapmaker puts in effort, but if the mapmaker really thinks it's a good idea, they'll do whatever they need to do, no matter how few people like it. So in the end it's up to the mods.

That said, there is one more thing I'd like to say. People are stupid, and have stupid ideas. We know this. Large masses tend to reduce the amount of sheer stupidity because someone can often play the voice of reason and point out sheer stupidty. We know this too. But we know one other thing: people can be stupid in large masses. It doesn't happen as often as individual stupidity, but it happens. So a setup where the majority rules every time will result in stupidity. It's much better to have a system in place that makes determinations based on reason, not numbers. This is what the current foundry process does. In most cases, popular opinion is able to eliminate stupidity - like DiM's map idea, which was shot down with remarkable speed by a practical suggestion which was quickly recognized as intelligent by everyone. But in those few cases where reason is being drowned out by popular demand, or what appears to be popular demand - see qwert's slanted polls - the person in charge needs to be able to say "No." And we need to stop whining because they can do it.

The only reason anyone should be objecting to Andy's authority in the Foundry (or any other Foundry leader's authority) is if they think he is refusing to listen to reason before making his decisions. I don't see that. The only objection I see is that Andy doesn't cave to mobs. GO Andy. As long as Andy is willing to hear and consider your point before discarding it, you got nothing. So stop moaning.
Sergeant 1st Class Nikolai

Postby Guiscard on Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:19 am

Was about to jump in and post, but Nikolai said it better :D

I think all this debate about the 'foundry process' and the 'rights of the mapmaker' is creating some sense of 'rights' to make your own maps and play them on this site. Lack has the good grace and initiative to let us have a crack at designing maps, but it is still his sight and we have to trust him, and Andy (and Keyogi now) as his representatives to make sure things run smoothly. When I first joined the sight there really weren't any problems with the foundry process, but its developed a lot. Good maps still get quenched, more than ever in fact, but people complain a hell of a lot. This site really is one of the best I've come across on the internet and the foundry is probably my favourite forum. Don't ruin it for yourselves and everyone else by creating drama where there really doesn't need to be any. If you don't agree with how the place is run currently then put up and shut up. Don't start your map in the first place. Its a privilege not a right. Fix up. Look sharp.

p.s. Andy frequently states in the early stages of maps that they don't have much appeal to him. The King of the Mountains map is an example. Andy thought it would be better to develop a map around the theme of skyscrapers / a CC city but enough people liked the development and it went on to get quenched. Andy NEVER (to my knowledge) says 'This has no appeal'. His comments usually are along the lines of 'I'm not particularly drawn to this map, but I'm often not in the early stages. Enough people seem to support it though so crack on. Maps usually grow on me as they develop.' I think it is pretty damn insulting to turn around to someone who has nurtured and developed the foundry, put a lot of time and effort into it and accuse him of blatant favouritism when, as far as I can see, he goes out of his way to avoid this.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby vakEirn79 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:26 am

As far as "rights of the mapmaker" go, I've always taken that to mean the right to continue working on the map as long as there's a reasonable amount of support. For World 0.5, my point was that there's no point in Foundry members making several posts to argue that it's a poor map. There's enough support to continue development, and one or two posts should be enough for Andy or Keyogi to see the opinion and take it into final consideration.

Coleman wrote:Who wins? Do Andy and Keyogi with minimal support carry enough weight that the map is denied to the group that wants to play it? Or is 15 foundry members enough to keep the map around at least until it is built to a finished state?

I think the replies in this topic, mine included, got a bit sidetracked from the initial question, which is essentially "Do the mods' initial opinions carry enough weight to kill a map?"

Clearly, the final decision of whether to release the map is entirely in Andy and lack's hands. If they refuse to release it for whatever reason, and they do have the right to do so, there's not much we can do about it. However, I don't think it's productive for anyone to use "I don't like this map", or even "Andy doesn't like this map" as a reason for the map to be shut down. I agree that Andy takes care to keeps his initial comments fair and open-ended, so other people should do the same. If you don't like a map, the Foundry Process encourages you to say so, but follow-up posts arguing the same personal opinions don't seem to add much when there's clearly enough support to keep the map going. I'm sure mapmakers don't enjoy being told that their map is bad and shouldn't see the light of day.

I wasn't around for the beginning of KotM, so I didn't realize Andy didn't like that initially. It's nice to see that it was quenched. Shows that the mods on this site are willing to give ideas a fair chance. I can see World 0.5 being killed because they're not looking to have small, casual maps, which would be a pretty legitimate reason. Still good to know that the map has a chance.
Corporal vakEirn79

Postby DiM on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:35 am

Nikolai wrote:
DiM wrote:the point is, do we have a democracy where the majority decides? or do we have a sort of elite dictatorship where only a few foundry members can decide if a map is good enough for the quench?

Y'know, I keep hearing all of this talk about a democracy, and I'm tired of it. Let's settle something. CC is not a democracy. Neither is the Map Foundry. It's an autocracy, and it will never be anything else. lack and Andy are extremely kind and are interested in making the site and the maps the best they can possibly be, so they actively seek input from anyone who feels like giving it - and we appreciate this, and occasionally abuse it. But in the end, the only person who can quench a map is Andy, and the only person who can put it on the site is lack. STOP TRYING TO ELEVATE YOUR OWN IMPORTANCE! You're a member of a community, true. But it's a community that only exists because of one person, and while your contribution is important - and appreciated - you don't carry final authority. The popular masses that de Tocqueville wrote about don't carry final authority here. They carry authority, but only because lack/Andy (who depends on in what sense) is willing to listen to you, and them, in the quest for a better site.

Now, with that out of the way, there are a couple of important points which have been raised here.
1) What is playability?
2) How many people need to be interested in a map to make it worth the time and effort necessary to make the map feasible as part of the site?

1. This is a question I really don't want to deal with, because (as has been mentioned) there are different standards, and mine happen to be well beyond the minimums demanded by the mods and the foundry in general. But it's still a fair question.
2. This is a question that should be settled by the mods, not by us. They're the ones that have to put in the effort to put the map on the site. The mapmaker puts in effort, but if the mapmaker really thinks it's a good idea, they'll do whatever they need to do, no matter how few people like it. So in the end it's up to the mods.

That said, there is one more thing I'd like to say. People are stupid, and have stupid ideas. We know this. Large masses tend to reduce the amount of sheer stupidity because someone can often play the voice of reason and point out sheer stupidty. We know this too. But we know one other thing: people can be stupid in large masses. It doesn't happen as often as individual stupidity, but it happens. So a setup where the majority rules every time will result in stupidity. It's much better to have a system in place that makes determinations based on reason, not numbers. This is what the current foundry process does. In most cases, popular opinion is able to eliminate stupidity - like DiM's map idea, which was shot down with remarkable speed by a practical suggestion which was quickly recognized as intelligent by everyone. But in those few cases where reason is being drowned out by popular demand, or what appears to be popular demand - see qwert's slanted polls - the person in charge needs to be able to say "No." And we need to stop whining because they can do it.

The only reason anyone should be objecting to Andy's authority in the Foundry (or any other Foundry leader's authority) is if they think he is refusing to listen to reason before making his decisions. I don't see that. The only objection I see is that Andy doesn't cave to mobs. GO Andy. As long as Andy is willing to hear and consider your point before discarding it, you got nothing. So stop moaning.

i'm not moaning and i'm not complaining about andy or lack or keyogi. i'm just trying to convince some official to come out and say something clear. hence the absurd example. i'm not trying to promote that map in any way and i'm not trying to give myself more importance than the average foundry poster. i really want an official to come and say: yes we do have the final word on any map and we do have the power to shoot down a map if we don't consider it fit despite it's support from the masses. this will clear things up and stop this kind of threads from appearing. if you read my posts carefully you'll see it was only an overexagerated example so stop busting my chops for no reason. :wink:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:43 am

so there are some things that need to be settled clear and put in a sticky.

about map making:
1. playability standards
2. gfx standards
3. map making conduit (like the map maker is forced to implement changes unless he has a good reason no to)
4. misc stuff (like porn, violence, copyright, etc)

about foundry officials:
1. exactly what powers do they have.
2. should they listen to mass voice or not
3. misc stuff

if we have a sticky with this sort of guidelines, i think there should be no problems. threads like this will be gone, map makers like qwert will have no reason to argue because it says andy has more powers than the masses etc.

maybe in the upcoming and eagerly awaited changes in the foundry things like these will be adressed and solved.
Major DiM

Postby Guiscard on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:55 am

DiM wrote:so there are some things that need to be settled clear and put in a sticky.

about map making:
1. playability standards
2. gfx standards
3. map making conduit (like the map maker is forced to implement changes unless he has a good reason no to)

about foundry officials:
3. misc stuff

if we have a sticky with this sort of guidelines, i think there should be no problems. threads like this will be gone, map makers like qwert will have no reason to argue because it says andy has more powers than the masses etc.

maybe in the upcoming and eagerly awaited changes in the foundry things like these will be adressed and solved.

You've already been told that that's all coming when Lack has the time to update the forums. Don't be so hasty about everything.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby DiM on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:00 am

Guiscard wrote:
DiM wrote:so there are some things that need to be settled clear and put in a sticky.

about map making:
1. playability standards
2. gfx standards

about foundry officials:
3. misc stuff

You've already been told that that's all coming when Lack has the time to update the forums. Don't be so hasty about everything.

really? :oops:
i thought they'll make some sub forums and stuff i didn't remember about stickies with the things above. :D

then why the heck are we talking here for. let's calmly wait for the changes. :lol:
Major DiM

Postby freezie on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:52 am

Andy and Lack are obviously the last authority and they will chooser wheter or not a map is ready to be played or not. Do they LIKE every maps, I don't think so. Yet Andy and Keyogi will do their best to help maps in current developement and state things that have to be changed/removed/added.

And their oppinions are not always final. I saw some mapmakers counter-arguing them, and they gave reason to the mapmaker. They are the experts, but they don't make a blood-thirsty democracy either.

They are the ultimate judges to see if I map should be played or not, but they help the mapmakers in their process enough, if someone is willing to see his map beeing quenched, and the support and feedback is there, there is a good chance for it to be quenched.

Postby qeee1 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:34 pm

Woah woah woah, someone canned the mini world? I loved that map. Also I think it should be more democratic. If you read rock solid's posts back around the time when andy was thinking of implementing a foundry comission they give good arguments towards innovation and a democratic process.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby hulmey on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:16 pm

Lets all get to the point...

CC is a business and i imagine a successful one....Since i first joined it has grown alot. These forums and map making create interest and thus keep people loved and involved with CC...I even enjoy psoting and seeing new maps start and get played on...Its much more fulfilling to me than being in a caln or even making my own tournaments.
I dont even bother posting in other forums on this site.

So to cut to the point i am a premium player and have rights in CC...I would pay much more than the $20 to be able to play on CC and take part in the Map Foundry...Not to play more games but to keep CC on the internet and alive and kicking....

So your wrong Guiscard its not a privelge WE the playes and map makers keep CC alive and if we have a opinon it should be listened and implemented...

You being British know the customer is always right and its not different on CC to a certain point...

So lets go to Qwert's map...Yes he could have gone about things differently and so could alot of people in commenting on his map.

this map deserves to be palyed here on CC....I have about 15 friendsd who play CC most of them with Premiium membership who could not find any fault with his map unlike the more experienced map makers like yourself!!!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions