Conquer Club

#GCCM The make a map time is upon us.

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great Community Map Project. Competition Post 2 Week

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:29 am

show
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: The Great Community Map Project. Competition Post 2 Week

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:33 am

New Tournament for sign ups.

Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: The Great Community Map Project.

Postby greenoaks on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:44 am

koontz1973 wrote:well i already came up with my whole concept! ;) so you can guess in advance what i will vote for for all your future questions!! :D
But can you persuade the others to go along with you? Not everyone likes bombards or auto deploys, so why should they be included? As for players names, I can see that, mine is already on one map. But how many RL places have thenobodies80 as a place name. :lol:

greenoaks could be worked into a map ;)
Sergeant greenoaks

Re: The Great Community Map Project.

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:46 am

greenoaks wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:well i already came up with my whole concept! ;) so you can guess in advance what i will vote for for all your future questions!! :D
But can you persuade the others to go along with you? Not everyone likes bombards or auto deploys, so why should they be included? As for players names, I can see that, mine is already on one map. But how many RL places have thenobodies80 as a place name. :lol:

greenoaks could be worked into a map ;)

greenoaks would work really well for a region name. Try the graphics comp and win it for your name on the map. :mrgreen:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: #GCCM. [Week 3] [Competition Post 2]

Postby anamainiacks on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:52 am

You're not letting people change their votes anymore? Is this because of the Small voters changing to theirs to Medium? :P
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:53 am

conquest because that is more balanced
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:00 am

I've voted for classic because it leaves more room for variation in special gameplay when designing the map. I like conquest but they're all a bit similar in the way that they're played and I think this map needs to be completely different from anything currently playable.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 am

anamainiacks wrote:You're not letting people change their votes anymore? Is this because of the Small voters changing to theirs to Medium? :P

No. I just forgot to click on that box. I do not want to tempt fate and bugger about with it now. Will make sure it is done next time.
SirSebstar wrote:conquest because that is more balanced

We need more like this.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:I've voted for classic because it leaves more room for variation in special gameplay when designing the map. I like conquest but they're all a bit similar in the way that they're played and I think this map needs to be completely different from anything currently playable.

Again, a good reason.

Which one to choose. :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby anamainiacks on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:04 am

koontz1973 wrote:
anamainiacks wrote:You're not letting people change their votes anymore? Is this because of the Small voters changing to theirs to Medium? :P

No. I just forgot to click on that box. I do not want to tempt fate and bugger about with it now. Will make sure it is done next time.

Well to be fair, with 2 options, people aren't likely to be changing their vote at all. So I guess it doesn't matter for this round of voting!
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby simmons4 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:20 am

i voted classic because I feel you have more of a chance to overcome bad dice with strategy. on most of the conquest map if you have a round or two of bad dice the game is already decided
Colonel simmons4

Postby pamoa on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:28 am

fantasy medium it would be more fun conquest
even if a bit unbalanced
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:29 am

pamoa wrote:fantasy medium it would be more fun conquest
even if a bit unbalanced

That is smaller than feudal war though. Would conquest work?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby P4Ssoa on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 am

Conquest!
Why? Well very simple: A project like this is big. It shouldn't produce something classic and something normal. It should produce something special. Something that hasn't been done before. A big project like this should produce something big! Key words in this project should be originality, creativity, special,... You want conquest because there is much more room for creativity in the conquest style!
Captain P4Ssoa

Postby mint-murray on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:46 am

Conquest tends to be plough forward in linear pattern, early lead gives victory. Classic give much more room to be inventive, not that there can't be a conquest element involved, and classic play has lasted the test of time.
Major mint-murray

Postby dakky21 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 am

Conquest for sure! I don't have a decent reason beside I just like that type of gameplay more :)
Captain dakky21

Postby Leehar on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:28 am

Can't there be more options beyond Conquest for maps that aren't Classic either?
For example, Trafalgar/Arms Race etc aren't either, they have complexity beyond classic, but aren't conquest based where you have to eliminate a base etc?

Chose conquest anyway since classic is just boring
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby betiko on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 am

oh come on koontz, we were just 7 to find your competition last week, seems unfair to award to only 1 of us when you see how easily other mods give GA for much less harder competitions... :( (not like awarding GAs cost something to send! ;) )

voted conquer map because mapmakers come up withinteresting new concepts.
Major betiko

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 am

Leehar wrote:Can't there be more options beyond Conquest for maps that aren't Classic either?
For example, Trafalgar/Arms Race etc aren't either, they have complexity beyond classic, but aren't conquest based where you have to eliminate a base etc?

By classic I assume it can have those varying methods of play in it, one ways, bombards, etc. Just that we'd start with more than 1-3 pre-assumed territs, like we would on a conquest map.

I choose classic because much more can be done with a classic style map, in my opinion!
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby cooldeals on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:09 am

I picked classic, because I'm feeling classical today. And I think we have a lot of specialized conquest maps already. (We probably have a lot of classic too, lol)
Colonel cooldeals

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 am

betiko wrote:oh come on koontz, we were just 7 to find your competition last week, seems unfair to award to only 1 of us when you see how easily other mods give GA for much less harder competitions... :( (not like awarding GAs cost something to send! ;) )

+1 :D
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Swifte on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 am

I voted for Classic.. just my personal preference.
Colonel Swifte

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Leehar wrote:Can't there be more options beyond Conquest for maps that aren't Classic either?

Nope, they are the only two options we have. Both maps you talk about are classed as classic gameplay maps. Now when the map is made, it is up to whom ever to take the parameters in a direction they like.
betiko wrote:oh come on koontz, we were just 7 to find your competition last week, seems unfair to award to only 1 of us when you see how easily other mods give GA for much less harder competitions... :( (not like awarding GAs cost something to send! ;) )

voted conquer map because mapmakers come up withinteresting new concepts.

They cost my 2.6 million conquer credits to send each GA medal through Communist post. ;) I am not that bloody rich. But this weeks gets everyone a medal (if you think about it). See I do listen to you. :lol:
iAmCaffeine wrote:+1 :D

Read above. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby c c on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:43 pm

i chose conquest just due to it having more complexity to it vs classic i also think for some thing this big with all the input we should think outside the box beyond classic ( voted )
Sergeant 1st Class c c

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:22 pm

c c wrote:i chose conquest just due to it having more complexity to it vs classic i also think for some thing this big with all the input we should think outside the box beyond classic ( voted )

I know I'm only arguing the point because I voted for classic, but both of your reasons for selecting conquest are flawed.

Assuming special gameplay is added into the map, which I would have thought like considering the community input, then it will be more complex than a conquest map as there are more options. The majority of conquest maps play in very similar ways, generally making them less complex.

Again, thinking outside the box would result in choosing classic as there is more room for creativity within the map. Conquest limits what you can do, classic leaves it completely open.

Guys, by voting for classic you're not saying "I want a map like Classic or Asia". Maps like Treasures of Galapagos, Arms Race, Waterloo etc.
Cook iAmCaffeine

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions