- There will be no change to map size guidelines at present.
- Following the introduction of 8 player games, we will gauge the need for maps with more territories.
- If there's a shortage of maps suitable for 8 player games, we will reconsider this whole situation then.
Map size has been an area of discussion for a while now, but has recently flared up again in a number of map development threads. A number of options have been considered, but the decision is for the guidelines to remain unchanged. Maps larger than the recommended size guidelines will officially not be supported.
lackattack wrote:The reason we have guidelines on map sizes is to support resolutions of 1024x768 and up without having to scroll horizontally. Granted small is the default, but only 12% of members that made it past new recruit have their map size set to large.
So please, make sure you read over the [Official] How to Make a Map thread before you start making a map and be sure that it is going to meet and adhere to all the guidelines.
To summarise and make sure everything is crystal clear.
Any map in development must stick to the following map size criteria:
- You must design two versions of the map:
- A small (up to 600px wide), and
- A large (up to 800px wide).
- Height is flexible, but it is recommended that you do not exceed:
- 350px on small maps, and
- 600px on large maps.
- Height must not be any greater than:
- 600px on small maps, and
- 800px on large maps.
Lastly, to clear up any confusion about what is needed for a map to progress through the foundry.
- A map must fit within the size guidelines to be moved from the Map Ideas sub-forum to the main Map Foundry forum.
- A map must have a small and a large version to progress to Final Forge.
Sorry about the long post. If there are any questions, Andy or myself will be more than happy to answer them.
Edit: Since this post was originally made, the size limits have been increased. The current restrictions are not open to negotiation until the user interface is updated:
1. SMALL MAP: WIDTH up to 630 px; HEIGHT 600 px
2. LARGE MAP: WIDTH up to 840 px ; HEIGHT 800 px.
3. SIZE DIFFERENTIAL: A large map must be noticably larger than their small map; 9% larger is required but 33.3% (1/3rd) is recommended.
4. NOTE: Mapmakers are encouraged to make their large maps smaller than the maximum size limits when possible to eliminate scrolling to attack/read the sidebar info.