Conquer Club

The Discussion on Map Size (Decision on Pg 1 & 11)

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby wrightfan123 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Oaktown: mods.
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:29 pm

wrightfan123 wrote:Oaktown: mods.

=D>

Yes! Join the empire! Crush the rebels!
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:35 pm

Okay, my opinion on map size:

I believe that map size rules should be respected, they are there for a reason. As stated many times, it is to prevent horizontal scrolling.

However, if the map size limit would be increased, I would not mind I, just wouldnt play these maps. Raising the limit too much might be open to abuse though and there might be a flood of over-sized maps should that happen.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby oaktown on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:35 pm

I guess I've been branded a Loyalist, just because I said I'll take restrictions over anarchy. So be it.

When you get a complete list somebody should make a map about it...

2007-09-14 12:56:08 - DiM receives 3 armies for 9 territories
2007-09-14 12:56:15 - DiM deployed 3 armies on DiM
2007-09-14 12:56:25 - DiM attacked Pepperonibread from qwert and conquered it from qwert
2007-09-14 07:57:23 - DiM fortified Keyogi with 1 armies from Widowmakers

8)
Captain oaktown

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:48 pm

oaktown wrote:

I guess I've been branded a Loyalist, just because I said I'll take restrictions over anarchy. So be it.

When you get a complete list somebody should make a map about it...

2007-09-14 12:56:08 - DiM receives 3 armies for 9 territories
2007-09-14 12:56:15 - DiM deployed 3 armies on DiM
2007-09-14 12:56:25 - DiM attacked Pepperonibread from qwert and conquered it from qwert
2007-09-14 07:57:23 - DiM fortified Keyogi with 1 armies from Widowmakers

8)

wow i'm winning :)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby wrightfan123 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:48 pm

Bad Speler wrote:Okay, my opinion on map size:

I believe that map size rules should be respected, they are there for a reason. As stated many times, it is to prevent horizontal scrolling.

However, if the map size limit would be increased, I would not mind I, just wouldnt play these maps. Raising the limit too much might be open to abuse though and there might be a flood of over-sized maps should that happen.

...Until you clarify, I'm counting that as nuetral.
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 pm

wrightfan123, i'm just browsing the thread and looking for rebels.

so add marvaddin edbeard and wisse to the rebels.

on a serious note, this is interesting but it's interesting because it's funny. even if the rebels are outnumbered or the mods are outnumbered it's still up to lack andy and keyogi to take a decision on this. apparently they already decided there will be no big maps. which sucks. :(
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby wrightfan123 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:10 pm

DiM wrote:wrightfan123, i'm just browsing the thread and looking for rebels.

on a serious note, this is interesting but it's interesting because it's funny. even if the rebels are outnumbered or the mods are outnumbered it's still up to lack andy and keyogi to take a decision on this. apparently they already decided there will be no big maps. which sucks. :(

Which maps did they make? I know marvadin, but the others aren't farmiliar to me.
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby edbeard on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:13 pm

frankly I don't care too much one way or the other so just don't add me to the list at all
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby wrightfan123 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:13 pm

edbeard wrote:frankly I don't care too much one way or the other so just don't add me to the list at all

Gotcha.
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby d.gishman on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:23 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:World 2.1 is being REVAMPed, and the finished product up within the next couple of days/week, or so.

--Andy

WHAT?? nooooo

2.1 is my favorite map on CC, and the one i most regularly play. it is a masterpiece in its gameplay and simple attractive graphics... i dont see how you can improve...

yeah, a vote should have been conducted first

DiM wrote:map size should be whatever the map maker wants. the best market is a market that regulatest itself with no outside intervention and no restrictions.
if tommorrow i make a 2000*2000 map and people play it despite its size it means i've done something right.
however if my map proves to be so big that people simply refuse to play it it means 2000*2000 is an unacceptable size and soon the ideal needs for the market will be discovered by offering various products and judging reactions. unfortunately not even the market research isn't taken into consideration by the foundry leaders. there have been several polls and topics where most people agreed they'd like to scroll a bit if that would bring them bigger maps.
but we have a sick market here, a market where the higher powers chose to interfere and regulate the natural flow.

DiM, you are the Adam Smith of the foundry! I completely agree; the players will decide if the map is crappy or not - this is the basis of capitalism, where the consumers will vote on the product with their money (in this case, by playing it)
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:28 pm

wrightfan123 wrote:
DiM wrote:wrightfan123, i'm just browsing the thread and looking for rebels.

Which maps did they make? I know marvadin, but the others aren't farmiliar to me.

Edbeard made the Caribbean, and Wisse is almost finished with China (in FF).
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby wrightfan123 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:31 pm

d.gishman wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:World 2.1 is being REVAMPed, and the finished product up within the next couple of days/week, or so.

--Andy

WHAT?? nooooo

2.1 is my favorite map on CC, and the one i most regularly play. it is a masterpiece in its gameplay and simple attractive graphics... i dont see how you can improve...

yeah, a vote should have been conducted first

DiM wrote:map size should be whatever the map maker wants. the best market is a market that regulatest itself with no outside intervention and no restrictions.
if tommorrow i make a 2000*2000 map and people play it despite its size it means i've done something right.
however if my map proves to be so big that people simply refuse to play it it means 2000*2000 is an unacceptable size and soon the ideal needs for the market will be discovered by offering various products and judging reactions. unfortunately not even the market research isn't taken into consideration by the foundry leaders. there have been several polls and topics where most people agreed they'd like to scroll a bit if that would bring them bigger maps.
but we have a sick market here, a market where the higher powers chose to interfere and regulate the natural flow.

DiM, you are the Adam Smith of the foundry! I completely agree; the players will decide if the map is crappy or not - this is the basis of capitalism, where the consumers will vote on the product with their money (in this case, by playing it)

*bangs head on very sharp bed of spikes*
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:45 pm

d.gishman wrote:

well i have a master degree in economy and now i'm having my exam to enlist for phd. i have studied adam smith's work and i admire it but i do believe this is a first. me considered an Adam Smith of the foundry :)
thanks.

*end of immature self bragging*

:lol:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:46 pm

wrightfan123 wrote:*bangs head on very sharp bed of spikes*

*sees the blood spillage. grabs popcorn. laughs loud*
Major DiM

Postby Bad Speler on Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:17 pm

wrightfan123 wrote:
Bad Speler wrote:Okay, my opinion on map size:

...Until you clarify, I'm counting that as nuetral.

I'm on the Loyalist side.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby asl80 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:02 am

Two Coments:
(which could arguably be construed as four though, on account of each's respective unimportance i think two, as an average, might corespond more accurately)

1) What about not including the legend and all that in the map size (i.e. having a seperate bar that sits above or below the map - so only the actual map has to fit on your screen.
(Though i know some legends are really beautiful and really anhance the maps owing to the story they help relate about the nature of the battle etc.)
1(a): Or make the side and top access bars collapsable/retractable, a little optional/situation-specific economising on the at-hand-ness of the web links. [I usually keep a seperate window open for a game in any case - and have a seperate one open for browsing the forums.]

2) And as for scrowling; Ahhh, we all have to scroll anyway - is there anyone who can mangage to keep the full map in sight while they deploy their armies - (i.e. we still keep a good picture of how the map is laid out - who/what's where etc - in our minds when we can't see all the map {to be honest i'm sure some of us thing about/i.e. picture in our minds, what's going on in a particular battle even when were not at our computers [though i might take things a little too far]) - the point being of course, that while it may be nice to get an overview of the whole map, it's not actually necessary.

P.S. - As a fully fledged free-loading cheapskate I - without any moral ground accept on the inherent goodness of free and accesbile games provided on the internet for those like me who wouldn't play anything if they weren't free - would find it most devestating if some of those wonderfully exciting larger maps were created and were then placed beyond my reach.
Lieutenant asl80

Postby wrightfan123 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:10 am

Okay, as far as I see it this is kind of the revolution break-down:

Loyalists:
WidowMakers(King of the Mountains, Great Lakes, Circus Maximus Revamp, Indochina Revamp, Quebec Revamp, 8 Thoughts graphics, Rail USA graphics)
Pepperonibread(Extreme Global Warming)
Bad Speler(Arctic)
Jota(Space, USApocalypse, CCU, Crossword, DiscWorld)

Rebels:
qwert(WWII Eastern Front)
DiM(Age of Mechants)
Coleman(8 Thoughts, Great Lakes)
Oaktown(Chinese Checkers)

Neutrals(as far as I can tell):
The Fuzzy Pengui(Brazil Revamp)
Cairns(Cairns Coral Coast, Peral Harbor, WWII Battle for Austraila, Valley of the Kings, Rail USA graphics)

Now, the pop guns are broken, your still blindfolded, and now it's hailing... the loyalists have a tent.

W123
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby zim on Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:53 am

Foundry,

I guess I'm somewhere on the fence...

If it had been my decision in the size discussion I would have reset the maximums to the larger sizes that I was allowed for World 2.x i.e. small up to 700 wide and large up to 900 wide. I think 800x600 monitors are fading fast and at 1024x768 which I think is the majority of users the 700 should work fine. I think this decision could have avoided lots of controversy and been a fair compromise. I'm personally more concerned with height as my laptop is 1440x900 and I hate scrolling up and down to take my turns. I would not however remove all limits and leave it up to the mapmakers to decide how much scrolling is appropriate. This is a casual gaming site and the ease of play and the usability of the maps is an important part of it's success. So I guess I'm neutral on the size question. I'd go bigger than the current limits but not to the arbitrarily large sizes that I believe the "rebels" are arguing for.

All that being said it's not my decision, it's Lacks. He's running a business here. We mapmakers (and those active in forums, etc.) are contributors to it's success and he owes it to us to listen to our opinions. After he's heard us though he's got to do what he thinks is best for his current and future customers. And he's made that decision (for now). In a few months he'll reassess things and given the monitor size trends we'll get bigger limits during that reassessment (or the next one).

With that in mind I gave Andy my blessing (and my Illustrator files) so that he could have another mapmaker take a stab at shrinking W2.1 to fit the new rules (I'm nervous about this because it's "my" baby) but I don't have the bandwidth (nor probably the graphic skills) to do it myself at the moment.

So at the end of the day I'd say call me a neutral, I'd raise the limit if it were my decision but I respect that it's not (and shouldn't be).

Cheers,

Zim

P.S. If Adam Smith were around he'd say "it's Lack's business, if you think you can provide a better service to customers at a better price go start your own and beat him the market."
Lieutenant zim

Postby Qwert on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:01 am

Rebels:
qwert(WWII Eastern Front)must wrote (WWII Europe)

I must say that map WWII Europe with dimension of 850x500 not big for scroling,i belive that you dont need to scroll these map to play game.
I will try to show you later example.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby oaktown on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:41 am

wrightfan123 wrote:Rebels:
DiM(Age of Mechants)

Wait, now I'm a rebel? 12 hours ago you said I was a loyalist. make up your mind, wrightfan! :D

Since I'm being pulled in two directions, I'm leaving all of y'all and starting third party. I call it

Play the Game, Damnit!

Our platform is this:
• The mods represent a friendly dictatorship. They want what is best for the nation and they have their eye on what the system can best provide at this time.
• The rebels represent the idealists. They want what is best for the nation and have their eye on a utopian future for our society.
• Mapmakers should be respected. The creation of a map is an arduous creative endeavor by the mapmaker, and creativity and vision should be recognized.
• Mapmakers should be supported. The creation of a map is also a collaborative effort by the community, and maps should be inspected and opinions offered.
• Playing the Conquer Club game is more fun than leaving posts about it.

Membership requirements:
Anytime you see that one of these threads about rules or how much the Foundry sucks is at the top of the fourm, find a map that is in progress and leave a comment to BUMP it up to the top.

The era of the PGD has arrived. Join me and we will walk hand-in-hand into a new golden age!
Captain oaktown

Postby wrightfan123 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:49 am

oaktown wrote:
wrightfan123 wrote:Rebels:
DiM(Age of Mechants)

Wait, now I'm a rebel? 12 hours ago you said I was a loyalist. make up your mind, wrightfan! :D

Since I'm being pulled in two directions, I'm leaving all of y'all and starting third party. I call it

Play the Game, Damnit!

Our platform is this:
• The mods represent a friendly dictatorship. They want what is best for the nation and they have their eye on what the system can best provide at this time.
• The rebels represent the idealists. They want what is best for the nation and have their eye on a utopian future for our society.
• Mapmakers should be respected. The creation of a map is an arduous creative endeavor by the mapmaker, and creativity and vision should be recognized.
• Mapmakers should be supported. The creation of a map is also a collaborative effort by the community, and maps should be inspected and opinions offered.
• Playing the Conquer Club game is more fun than leaving posts about it.

Membership requirements:
Anytime you see that one of these threads about rules or how much the Foundry sucks is at the top of the fourm, find a map that is in progress and leave a comment to BUMP it up to the top.

The era of the PGD has arrived. Join me and we will walk hand-in-hand into a new golden age!

I'm just trying to annoy you at this point :). Here's the new list:

Loyalists:
WidowMakers(King of the Mountains, Great Lakes, Circus Maximus Revamp, Indochina Revamp, Quebec Revamp, 8 Thoughts graphics, Rail USA graphics)
Bad Speler(Arctic)

Rebels:
DiM(Age of Mechants)

Cairns(Cairns Coral Coast, Peral Harbor, WWII Battle for Austraila, Valley of the Kings, Rail USA graphics)

Third Party:

W123
Corporal wrightfan123

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:00 am

wrightfan123 wrote:Neutrals(as far as I can tell):

Loyalist....I strongly support the foundry system. I believe it can be tweaked, but I am behind Keyogi and Andy 100%...they do what they can :D
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Postby DiM on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:13 am

wrightfan123 wrote:Okay, as far as I see it this is kind of the revolution break-down:

Loyalists:
Bad Speler(Arctic)

Rebels:
DiM(Age of Mechants)

Now, the pop guns are broken, your still blindfolded, and now it's hailing... the loyalists have a tent.

W123

what happened here? the rebels gained oaktown which no longer plays for any team but decided to make his own party. but where are gimil and mibi ? and also why didn't you add marvaddin and wisse on the rebels' side?

it should be something like this:

Loyalists:
Bad Speler(Arctic)

Rebels:
qwert(WWII Eastern Front, Iwo Jima (FF))
DiM(Age of Mechants)
Mibi(Seige, D-day(FF))
gimil(Portugal(FF))
Marvaddin (Brazil)
Wisse (China(FF))

Third Party:
Major DiM

Postby wrightfan123 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:34 am

Loyalists:
Bad Speler(Arctic)

Rebels:
qwert(WWII Eastern Front, Iwo Jima (FF))
DiM(Age of Mechants)
Mibi(Seige, D-day(FF))
gimil(Portugal(FF))
Marvaddin (Brazil)
Wisse (China(FF))

Third Party:

Sorry, used wrong version :).
Corporal wrightfan123

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions