Conquer Club

The Discussion on Map Size (Decision on Pg 1 & 11)

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Discussion on Map Size (Decision on Pg 1 & 11)

Postby bryguy on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Incandenza wrote:Perhaps certain restrictions can be lifted for certain mapmakers, make it a progressive concept.

Maybe something like the restrictions are lifted (or increased by 100-200 px, making the large max 940x900 or 1040x1000) for people who have already quenched a map?
Corporal bryguy

Postby oaktown on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:42 pm

bryguy wrote:Maybe something like the restrictions are lifted (or increased by 100-200 px, making the large max 940x900 or 1040x1000) for people who have already quenched a map?

In my opinion what's good for me is good for you - I'd rather see one rule apply to everybody. I don't know what lack has planned (honestly, I really don't), but my guess would be an overhaul of the game page that would better accommodate larger maps, rather than just changing the size rules. I think is is generally agreed that huge maps would not work very well with the current interface.
Captain oaktown

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:59 pm

I'd be happy with 1000 across for the large version. That'd at least be a good start.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby reggie_mac on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Incandenza wrote:Perhaps certain restrictions can be lifted for certain mapmakers, make it a progressive concept. That way, people that have already been through the process and have shown that they can play with others could be allowed more freedom, while still keeping first-timers from submitting the aforementioned 2000-pixel 20-terit abomination.

I get where you are coming from here, but it kinda smacks of elitism. I think that the foundry process itself should be more than enough to keep out the stupidly large/overly pointless maps. You never get the best out of a community by stifling a part of it.
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:34 pm

reggie_mac wrote:I get where you are coming from here, but it kinda smacks of elitism. I think that the foundry process itself should be more than enough to keep out the stupidly large/overly pointless maps. You never get the best out of a community by stifling a part of it.

The problem is that there will be plenty of Pollyannas out there who will come in, read the "oh, it can be 2000 px if it's cool enough. Well everything I do it cool", post a crap idea/draft and then whine like crazy when people say no. We've had the problem with the standard locked at 840px maximum, and people with far less graphical talent than expected show up with maps that devour your screen in bad looks, then look around bewildered while we tell them "that's too big, abide by the standard everyone else is."
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby gimil on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:27 pm

To accommodate this situation we could change the guidelines to state something along the lines of:

'a maps size must not be large for large sake, If you can make your map smaller without reducing the overall quality of the map then you should do so'

Now that isn't a great way of putting it but I think you get the idea I am going for.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:35 am

gimil wrote:'a maps size must not be large for large sake, If you can make your map smaller without reducing the overall quality of the map then you should do so'

I think most people will set the canvas size before any work on the map is done. I also think there should be an all or nothing rule. The subjective approach doesn't work here.
Private RjBeals

Postby reggie_mac on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:30 pm

anyone else notice that Lack has put the good 'ole google analytics on? good to see Lack, good to see. Now he will have enough actual data on cc users to be able to make a call on the max size, which is good. I, like RJbeals i think that it should be a fixed limit and an all for one rule. Because, we as humans are always going to try and push the boundary, its just what we are.
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:25 pm

The need for a signature map for CC is apparent. A world map that includes all the countries of the world is the overall favorite among CC gamers. So, I would like to see this project attempted. Many have been working on this idea, but the size restrictions has made the task next to impossible. If this map could be made as small as possible and still be able to incorporate ALL of the countries, then whatever that size is, could become the new standard limit. My guess is somewhere around 1000 x 900 is where it will end up. I have done enough drafts on this one to say, that I could make it happen at that size. 8-)

Also, The menu's on the left, and the game info on the right could be moved under the map. This will allow for larger maps, without having to scroll. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby MrBenn on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 pm

Until the user interface changes, I think we're stuck with the sizes we've got :roll:
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:03 pm

MrBenn wrote:Until the user interface changes, I think we're stuck with the sizes we've got :roll:

foreshadowing??????????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
lol
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby MrBenn on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:17 pm

I have always been an advocate of larger maps, but for now we have to work with what we've got ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby PersonalCommande on Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:41 pm

PLEASE,
Keep the controls near the MAP.... The key and player data is secondary information. :!:

What about putting the key etc UNDER the controls and Chat in a separate JPG ?

I am so sick of scrolling World 2.1 and Waterloo.... and my eyes aren't getting any better either. :geek:

Increasing the resolution will just mean the writing gets smaller and I mistake Silver and Green more often. :oops:

PC
(newbie warning - I've never made a map, and only been writing programs for 28 years)
Sergeant 1st Class PersonalCommande

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:22 am

Oops I was under the impression I could go to 840x800 large and 630x600 small for standard sizes. I will work on reducing my large map to 800x800. I should have looked at this thread sooner. :shock:

--Dolomite13
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby reggie_mac on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:10 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I'm looking forward to mid 2009....we just may get some things we've long wanted....

--Andy

Still waiting :)

Kinda like cheese i suppose, good things take time... but whats the words? anything new to share?
Captain reggie_mac

Larger maps, Why not?

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Back when ConquerClub only had like 20 maps, it was perfectly reasonable to say that because some people would not like having to scroll a bunch when playing, you can't have larger maps than we have now, however, now those people have many other maps to choose from so they will not really be missing out on a large portion of the maps.
Is there really any reason why we can't have big maps? Big maps are better for large 8 player games and allow for more room to maneuver your troops. Even just raising the limit by 200 pixels or so would allow for great new maps to be made. It would also provide new cartographers with an opportunity to fill a new niche. Large maps are more fun to work on and (I have made a few 4000x4000 maps for another game) they really help you improve you map making skills.
I know that there has been lots of discussion about this, but what is the current reason why there cannot be larger maps?
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Re: Larger maps, Why not?

Postby mibi on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:30 am

Captain mibi

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:06 pm

So no answer?
Does that mean there is no real reason, or are people just tired of being asked?
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:22 pm

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby jefjef on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:30 pm

There is a very large numbered map in the works right now called The HIVE. Lots & lots of terts & bonuses. :D
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:34 pm

jefjef wrote:There is a very large numbered map in the works right now called The HIVE. Lots & lots of terts & bonuses. :D

Referring to the actual dimensions of the map…
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby jefjef on Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:40 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
jefjef wrote:There is a very large numbered map in the works right now called The HIVE. Lots & lots of terts & bonuses. :D

Referring to the actual dimensions of the map…

Well no one ever said I was the brightest bulb in the box. :D
Colonel jefjef

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:02 pm

I really think we need this to be reconsidered.

Perhaps lack can code a pop-up type thing that asks you as soon as you log in what your monitor dimensions are, with a selection of choices. It would let us know what dimensions would fit what % of the people that play CC. (Of course, once you answer it once, it won't ask again)
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:24 pm

Lack intends to redesign some aspects of of the Conquer Club website---a number of preparations have already been made. I'm not sure what his time scale is though in relation to other updates.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:07 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Lack intends to redesign some aspects of of the Conquer Club website---a number of preparations have already been made. I'm not sure what his time scale is though in relation to other updates.

--Andy

Didn't he promise that around two years ago?
Its not going to happen :roll:
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions