Conquer Club

Map Organization Project [Ver 3 - Pg 13]

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What is your favorite category?

Total votes : 0

Postby mibi on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
Coleman wrote:Well, there would be too much arguing over which is what. DiM hates that idea and I share his view to a lesser degree, there just isn't a good way to place the ones that appear in multiple categories.

then we let them be in multiple categories.

If a map fits in multiple categories, list it in each one.

Take Battle of Actium for example.

It could fit into the list of:
military battles
abstract maps
Large maps (90+ territories)

Basically, there could be a drop-down menu above the list of games that includes each section, and within that section it would list all the maps that fit that category. Maps could be in multiple categories, because many of them fit more than one. So all the site would need is a list of every map for a given category, and have the drop-down menu have each category given. when you click the category, it only shows the maps in that list.

Wouldn't be too difficult to do. someone would just need to compile lists for each category of map.

EDIT: dang... herakilla fastposted me with pretty much the same post...

thats what I have been saying all along. lets get a system going thats actually useful, categories!
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:11 pm

DiM wrote:putting a map in more than 1 category is wrong. it means classic will only appear in geographical, while other maps will be in 2-4 categs. is that fair? i think not.

fair?... i don't see how it matters how many categories something is in as long as it in its proper category. classic could also be in 'medium sized' maps, or 'cartographers with size 42 shoes' or whatever.
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:14 pm

mibi wrote:thats what I have been saying all along. lets get a system going thats actually useful, categories!

categs are flawed.

go by theme and you'll have several maps put in more than 1 categ thus boosting their publicity (if i may say so)

go by complexity and you'll end up with a screwed up formula that doesn't really show complexity.

go by terit count and you won't offer enough info (but at least it's better than the other 2)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby edbeard on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:56 pm

I think we're starting to come to a consensus or at least an understanding.

1. splitting by categories is the best way to help out new users.

2. the best way OF splitting is by territory count

as DiM said in another thread,

DiM wrote:you want something quick, play doodle. you want something long, play world 2.1.

couple that with the map info links and we're golden
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby gimil on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 pm

edbeard wrote:I think we're starting to come to a consensus or at least an understanding.

DiM wrote:you want something quick, play doodle. you want something long, play world 2.1.

And that ladies and gentlemen is our PM to lack :D
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby mibi on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:42 pm

edbeard wrote:I think we're starting to come to a consensus or at least an understanding.

i certainly don't agree to that. I would rather see more useful categories that will help users find the type of maps they want to play.
Captain mibi

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:48 pm

DiM wrote:putting a map in more than 1 category is wrong. it means classic will only appear in geographical, while other maps will be in 2-4 categs. is that fair? i think not.

Fair doesn't matter at all.

The map doesn't care what categories it gets into.
The mapmaker probably won't care if map X has more categories than the map they made.

DiM wrote:
go by theme and you'll have several maps put in more than 1 categ thus boosting their publicity (if i may say so)

Screw publicity for the maps, this is about organization, not "MY MAP IS IN MORE SECTIONS THAN YOUR MAP!!!!!11!!one!!! ITS TEH AWESOMER!"

Classic would have plenty of categories. it would be listed under:
All maps.
Sort by rating/comments.
Geographical.
Small maps.
And probably one or two others, depending on how we decide to sort them.

Yes, there are maps that fit in much more than that, but does it matter?
The map fits in the section, so let it be there.

If you dont like it or "its not fair" to the maps, then just dont use the sorted categories. Look though the "all" list like we do now. The "Sort by category" option is just that, AN OPTION. if you don't like it, just dont click the button that uses it :wink:

I was thinking more along the lines of each section having its own page, so we dont have multiple copies of the map on the same page. Like, if you click "geographical", it would send you to the list of all geographical maps on a different page. no other maps shown other than those that belong in the category.

Basically, you have your "all" list. you click "Geographical" in the drop-down menu at the top of the page, and then the page refreshes, but it shows only Geographic maps this time, none of the others are shown. Then it gives you options to go back to the "All" list or to chose a different category, or select a map and start your game directly from there.

It wouldn't be too hard to code at all. all it needs is a list of maps for each category that the site reads whenever that section is chosen.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:50 pm

mibi wrote:

i certainly don't agree to that. I would rather see more useful categories that will help users find the type of maps they want to play.

all we would need is [along with my previous post] is to decide what those "useful categories" are going to be.

Geographic and abstract are a must, along with number of territories.
Including a "new maps" section would also be good, showing everything what is new to the site so we can all find the new ones more easily.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby edbeard on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:00 pm

you're making this way too complicated. it has to be simple so that it's helpful. what you're proposing is all over the place. putting maps into multiple categories doesn't help. you want to separate ALL the maps into more manageable categories.

being able to choose to list the maps by size, map type, or complexity are three good ways to split everything up. Having those three choices (plus maybe the standard alphabetical or rating list) makes it easy for someone new to figure out what map they want to play.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby DiM on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:00 pm

bah, i'm tired of arguing for nothing.

i'll say it one more time and that will be it.

adding a gazillion categories will do more harm than good because then we'll have half the screen occupied with lots of sorting tabs. things must be kept simple, preferably in the current format and offer as much info as possible within a few clicks. what WM presented in his images is all we need. same format as we have now with some more info presented on the same page and with further info 1 click away.
i would agree with more categs if they were at least objective accurate and fair. but so far they aren't. theme isn't fair isn't accurate, complexity isn't objective accurate or fair. and terit number count while being all 3 it lacks the amount of info a sorting method would need to provide but i do agree with it more than the others.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:05 pm

I believe as well that things should be kept simple but im not going into detail tonight, its bed time :)

What i will suggest thou is that if we were to sue complexity as a rating, dont use some big formula, let each member rate a map on how complex they found it. Which im sure has already been suggested.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby mibi on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:58 pm

christ... you people arn't using your brains if you keep thinking that adding complex information will translate into a complex UI. This thread is turning into a merry-go-round of numb skullery.

where are the folks who actually know anything about proper and efficient UI?
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:02 am

what's UI? :?
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:04 am

DiM wrote:what's UI? :?

Im pretty sure it is the User Interface. Or words to that affect.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby mibi on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:00 am

Telvannia wrote:

mhm.
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:11 am

mibi wrote:
Telvannia wrote:

mhm.

thanks tel.

now wtf is mhm.

mibi stop using all kinds of acronyms and stuff like that. not all people here have english as their native language. :roll:
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:15 am

DiM wrote:
mibi wrote:
Telvannia wrote:

mhm.

thanks tel.

now wtf is mhm.

mibi stop using all kinds of acronyms and stuff like that. not all people here have english as their native language. :roll:

mhm, is a way of saying yes. An affirmative grunt sort of thing.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:21 am

Telvannia wrote:
DiM wrote:
mibi wrote:
Telvannia wrote:

mhm.

thanks tel.

now wtf is mhm.

couldn't he have said qft instead or i agree or i concur or something else.

an affirmative grunt :lol:

now enough spamming, mibi if you think people around here are too thick to imagine your ui then perhaps you should produce a few images, like wm did, and show us what you mean.

an image is worth 1000 words
:roll:
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:23 am

DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:
DiM wrote:
mibi wrote:
Telvannia wrote:

mhm.

thanks tel.

now wtf is mhm.

couldn't he have said qft instead or i agree or i concur or something else.

an affirmative grunt :lol:

now enough spamming, mibi if you think people around here are too thick to imagine your ui then perhaps you should produce a few images, like wm did, and show us what you mean.

an image is worth 1000 words
:roll:

agreed, just becasue its obvious in your head doesnt make it the same as everyone else. Not everyone thinks up ideas for a living after all :wink:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby bryguy on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:29 am

i think that the map foundry was made so that people could argue over this without getting in trouble

oh, and after reading all this, my head hurts #-o
Corporal bryguy

Postby gimil on Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:58 am

bryguy wrote:i think that the map foundry was made so that people could argue over this without getting in trouble

all the foundry is, is a big place for big kids to come and shout at each other, ocassionally a good idea comes up and we all shake and make up :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby bryguy on Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:16 am

gimil wrote:
bryguy wrote:i think that the map foundry was made so that people could argue over this without getting in trouble

all the foundry is, is a big place for big kids to come and shout at each other, ocassionally a good idea comes up and we all shake and make up :)

oh....

cool 8)
Corporal bryguy

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:56 pm

People can post whatever they want in this topic provided it is helpful to the argument. Showing agreement to each others ideas via mhm or whatever terminology you want to use is helpful to me and not spam. If you agree with either side of the issue please say something so I can have a better idea of where the majority lies.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Coleman on Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:57 pm

mibi wrote:where are the folks who actually know anything about proper and efficient UI?
WidowMaker's and I are living happy and productive lives outside of this topic until the holidays are over.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby fireedud on Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:01 pm

I like the category idea combined with the feedback idea.

Let's say you want to play an abstract map with resource pairs.

You'll get Dim's maps. To decide which one to play, you can look at the rating/feedback to find the best one.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions