Conquer Club

Photoshop tutorials

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Photoshop tutorials

Postby Ogrecrusher on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:56 am

I have finally got Photoshop CS2 and think it's about time I started trying to make a map. Having played around with it for a few hours doctoring photos, I realise I have no idea at all about tools to make maps. Considering I only have internet access at University and only have Photoshop at home, can anyone suggest a good downloadable tutorial that would show me the basics of what I need to know.
I'm the kind of person who likes to fiddle with programs to see what they can do, so hopefully I'll get the hang of it with just some initial pointing!

Cheers.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby Lone.prophet on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:03 pm

http://www.adobe.com/education/webtech/ ... b_home.htm

i guess just play around and if you want to know something look it up is the best way i guess
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:06 pm

ogrecrusher, my advice is to forget about tutorials for the time being.
open a new file and play with each and every tool. try anything you can think of. modify all the parameters for each tool and try again.

only after that try the tutorials. messing around with each tool will give you all the basic knowledge you'll need and even more.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:59 pm

DiM wrote:ogrecrusher, my advice is to forget about tutorials for the time being.
open a new file and play with each and every tool. try anything you can think of. modify all the parameters for each tool and try again.

only after that try the tutorials. messing around with each tool will give you all the basic knowledge you'll need and even more.

i disagree, following tutorials will provide good structured learning as opposed to information overload as DiM suggests. one thing at a time.
Captain mibi

Postby Lone.prophet on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:03 pm

watch some tutorials to ssee what tool does what and than play with them to see how you could use them
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:32 pm

mibi wrote:
DiM wrote:ogrecrusher, my advice is to forget about tutorials for the time being.

i disagree, following tutorials will provide good structured learning as opposed to information overload as DiM suggests. one thing at a time.

it's not information overload. not at all.
that's what i did and as far as my experience goes discovering things on my own proved far more effective than watching a tutorial.
so i could easily skip over the basic tutorials and go to the advanced ones.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:02 pm

mibi wrote:

I agree that tutorials are good to use at first, tho I don't necessarily disagree with DiM. I used to (and still do) look through lists of tutorials until I found something that looked cool. Then, as long as it wasn't too advanced for me, I'd learn something new every time.
Corporal pepperonibread

Return to Foundry Discussions