Conquer Club

Foundry Brands

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Foundry Brands

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:39 am

The Foundry Brands are a brilliant idea, but due to the length of most map threads, their use is not currently of much value to anyone other than the mapmaker:
gimil wrote:Cairns can you let me know what stamps you have been given (if any om not really sure) :)

I think that the stamps/brands should be added to the 1st post of each thread - with a link to the post where the thread was branded. I know that this would be a bit more work for the Cartos, but would make it really easy to see at what stage of development any map is in.

ie:
----------
Iceland Map
Clicky: Idea Passed by Coleman
----------

What do people think?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:31 am

I agree - and I think it was the intention that the mapmakers did this themselves...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Lone.prophet on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:33 am

well someone has to do it

(and can the xml tut get stickied?)
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:34 am

Lone.prophet wrote:well someone has to do it

(and can the xml tut get stickied?)

I believe it's linked to somewhere - so it doesn't need stickying?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Gilligan on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:37 am

I was also thinking... Andy 'Brands maps with the Foundry Brand'.

AndyDufresne wrote:The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand.

Why not make another stamp for the Foundry Brand to put on all of the quenched maps?
Captain Gilligan

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:52 am

Gilligan wrote:I was also thinking... Andy 'Brands maps with the Foundry Brand'.

AndyDufresne wrote:The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand.

Why not make another stamp for the Foundry Brand to put on all of the quenched maps?

There's already a quench stamp, so it wouldn't really mean anything.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Gilligan on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:53 am

pepperonibread wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I was also thinking... Andy 'Brands maps with the Foundry Brand'.

There's already a quench stamp, so it wouldn't really mean anything.

I know that, but why not put something on the map itself? Like the Star and the words Conquer Club, or something like that.
Captain Gilligan

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:59 am

yeti_c wrote:I agree - and I think it was the intention that the mapmakers did this themselves...

C.

:shock:

Must have missed that. You mean there's more housekeeping I have to do with my thread!
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:14 am

Coleman is currently working on a brand new developmental atlas that will doubles up as hold all to keep track of what stamps each map has.

As for a "foundry brand" to be put on each map, this is something i discussed with andy but was decided against.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Gilligan on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:18 am

gimil wrote:As for a "foundry brand" to be put on each map, this is something i discussed with andy but was decided against.

Any particular reason why?
Captain Gilligan

Postby gimil on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:27 am

Gilligan wrote:
gimil wrote:As for a "foundry brand" to be put on each map, this is something i discussed with andy but was decided against.

Any particular reason why?

Doent help the process in anyway, there alot of better and more imprtant thinks to spend our time doing than crating and adding a foundry brand to maps.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:53 pm

I quite like the idea of a CC "foundry brand" to be put onto the graphic of each map - a bit like the artist/designer logos...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Unfortunately a standard brand would be hard to apply to most of the maps, simply because there rarely is much 'empty' space on the maps to allow for such a thing (Take for instance...Cairnswk's maps! ;)) It's a great idea, but I don't see it working. But if may be something we come back to later. But for now, we are working on ways to better improve the Foundry and the way it works. So lets all work on that first!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Herakilla on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:15 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Unfortunately a standard brand would be hard to apply to most of the maps, simply because there rarely is much 'empty' space on the maps to allow for such a thing (Take for instance...Cairnswk's maps! ;)) It's a great idea, but I don't see it working. But if may be something we come back to later. But for now, we are working on ways to better improve the Foundry and the way it works. So lets all work on that first!

--Andy

ya, theres no space for it. it would be cool but sometimes the colors would clash

and dont say "raise the size limits" because the map makers should (and will) use that space
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:28 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Unfortunately a standard brand would be hard to apply to most of the maps, simply because there rarely is much 'empty' space on the maps to allow for such a thing (Take for instance...Cairnswk's maps! ;)) It's a great idea, but I don't see it working. But if may be something we come back to later. But for now, we are working on ways to better improve the Foundry and the way it works. So lets all work on that first!

--Andy

Nice to see i get singled out again :P
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:31 pm

cairnswk wrote:

--Andy

Never cairns, we dont single you out, you choose to stand outside :P

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:38 pm

cairnswk wrote:

--Andy

*grabs a cup of hot chocolate and goes to keep cairns company*

*cairns runs away thinking i'm a perv*
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:51 pm

DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

--Andy

*grabs a cup of hot chocolate and goes to keep cairns company*

*cairns runs away thinking i'm a perv*

That cairns, is why you have no friends :P

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby tenio on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:15 pm

a while ago i made this

plus it is a "brand"

Cadet tenio

Return to Foundry Discussions