Conquer Club

Periodic Table Mafia: Nonmetals (TOWN) win

Housing completed games. Come take a walk through a history of suspicion!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Periodic Table Mafia [13/13] Day 1: Metalloids Plan

Postby thechuck51 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Gillipig wrote:Probably some none metals fault!

Did you mean non-metal?? Anybody that is against non-metals must be a metalloid!!

I punched some info into my mafia computer and got the following results:
Username: Gillipig... username has the word "pig" in it... Bacon comes from pigs... Bacon starts with a "B"... Boron starts with "B"... Boron is a metallod... therefore Gillipig is a metalloid.

the scumchecker9000 confirmed my suspicions! admittedly the scumchecker9000 will require some calibration during the night phase but I think it is still reliable so unvote vote gillipig

I mean is this the face of a non-metal??
Sergeant 1st Class thechuck51

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:08 pm

thechuck51 wrote:I mean is this the face of a non-metal??

Well, it's certainly not the face of a metal.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby NoSurvivors on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 pm

um.. as far as I can tell. NEON is not a metalloid.. I'm in 11 university chem.. metalloids are not nonmetals.. j/s.. correct me if i am wrong here tho lol.
Colonel NoSurvivors

Re: Vote Count, Day 1.3

Postby samgrossy on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Vote Count, Day 1.3

Vodean - (1) sempaispellcheck L-6
Sempaispellcheck - (3) Iron Butterfly, Vodean, Jonty125 L-4
Iron Butterfly - (2) /, betiko L-5
Jonty125 - (1) thehippo8 L-6
Dukasaur - (1) safariguy5 L-6
NoSurvivors - (1) Dukasaur L-6
Gillipig - (2) DoomYoshi, thechuck51 L-5

Not Voting - (2) NoSurvivors, Gillipig

To make gameplay easier for players, the player(s) closest to lynch at the time of vote count will be in red bold

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.
Deadline for Day 1 is 10 PM EST, October 13th. That's 10 days from now.
Corporal 1st Class samgrossy

Postby thechuck51 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:59 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:um.. as far as I can tell. NEON is not a metalloid.. I'm in 11 university chem.. metalloids are not nonmetals.. j/s.. correct me if i am wrong here tho lol.

hmmm.... you make a good point. unvote. neon is a noble gas which, as you have pointed out, is a non-metal. Perhaps the scumchecker9000 needs to be re-booted. Lets try somebody I know is not a metalloid...

username: thechuck51... aliens are kept in area 51... aliens come from distant solar systems... solar systems have stars in their centers... dancing with the stars has no actual stars... dancers must be light on their feet... feet go inside shoes... shoes are not metalloids... therefore thechuck51 is not a metalloid

there... i think its working again.

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
thechuck51 wrote:I mean is this the face of a non-metal??

Well, it's certainly not the face of a metal.

NoSurvivors wrote:um.. as far as I can tell. NEON is not a metalloid.. I'm in 11 university chem.. metalloids are not nonmetals.. j/s.. correct me if i am wrong here tho lol.

I believe that particular shade of soft pink is 80% Neon and 20% Helium. Neon and Helium are, of course, noble gases and not metals. About as not-metal as you can get, actually, since they grip their outer electron shell with stubborn determination more than other elements. And not metalloids, either, for much the same reason, so you are perfectly correct.

However, when I said it's not a metal, I wasn't actually playing in character. I was referring not to the Ne-He sign, but to the pig itself, and I was gratuitously indulging in a completely irrelevant Monty Python joke. Pigs, like witches, float in water, and are therefore made of wood. Not metal...:P
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 pm

so gillipig is made of carbon?

as far as i am concerned, bubba fet has a metalloid armour and a psychedelic rock band from the 60's name that contains Fe in it are the most suspicious.
Major betiko

Postby sempaispellcheck on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:26 pm

[quote="Dukasaur"]I was gratuitously indulging in a completely irrelevant Monty Python joke./quote]
There is no such thing as an irrelevant Monty Python joke.
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby sempaispellcheck on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:27 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I was gratuitously indulging in a completely irrelevant Monty Python joke.

There is no such thing as an irrelevant Monty Python joke.

EBWOP
Got a little too trigger-happy on that backspace key. :oops:

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Time to get serious.

I put all your names into an accelerated vote machine. This way, you can see where your votes are at the end of the joke stage. This means we can start defending the votes.

Sempaispellcheck (1) - /
Vodean (4) -DoomYoshi, NoSurvivors, sempaispellcheck, thechuck51
Gillipig (1) - vodean
No lynch (1) - Gillipig
NoSurvivors (1) - safariguy5
Thechuck51 (1) - jonty125
Dukasaur (1) - thehippo8
Jonty125 (1) - betiko

Not voting (2) - Dukasaur, Iron butterfly

As you can clearly see, I started a case on vodean which was well accepted by other players leading us to now: the end of the joke phase.

Why aren't duke and iron voting? FOS on them.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby vodean on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:42 pm

you know what, doom is right. im clearly scum, because i am a little less scummy than normal today
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby sempaispellcheck on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Time to get serious.

I put all your names into an accelerated vote machine. This way, you can see where your votes are at the end of the joke stage.

To be honest, that is what's always confused me about mafia. I never read far enough into any game thread to know that there actually was a joke stage, and I couldn't figure out how people seemed to know who to vote for almost before the game had even started.

Now I know.

Thanks, all!

Postby / on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 am

Hm, now why would I vote sempaispellcheck?
I don't know, but I trust my judgment, so I'm tempted to vote him, but if I merely do so because I do so then won't I create some sort of paradox?
But if I don't merely because I do, then I will have done the wrong thing by going against myself, resulting in me never casting the vote on sempai that resulted in me not casting the vote on sempai... Meaning this conversation didn't happen.

Unvote vote Doom for ruining the time stream!
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby thechuck51 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 am

Doom, there may be something wrong with your accelerated vote machine because I don't see why anybody would vote for me. Now before I can give you any advice on how to fix it I need to ask a couple of questions: is it a linear or circular vote accelerator? If it's circular, is a cyclotron or a synchrotron? Once I know I can probably figure out what's wrong.

Postby betiko on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:34 am

why would i change my vote? i'm firm on my iron vote since the start. I don think mods tend sometimes to relate players with a role that suit them better inconsciously. It's a lead like any other at this point.
Major betiko

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:22 am

betiko wrote:why would i change my vote? i'm firm on my iron vote since the start. I don think mods tend sometimes to relate players with a role that suit them better inconsciously. It's a lead like any other at this point.

Iron is not a transtion metal, so I'm not following.

Unvote vote vodean

Just to prove that it works.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:23 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
betiko wrote:why would i change my vote? i'm firm on my iron vote since the start. I don think mods tend sometimes to relate players with a role that suit them better inconsciously. It's a lead like any other at this point.

Unvote vote vodean

░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:54 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:

Unvote vote vodean

Actually, Doom, iron is a transition metal, since it has an incomplete d-orbital shell.
Did you perhaps mean to say metalloid?

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 am

oops, yea.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby betiko on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:21 am

chemistry time for dummies.
guys sorry i suck a bit at this, have taken just a couple of years of chemistry in high school and that was like 15 years ago. i have to wiki a bit to understand what is going on.

actually fluorine is a halogen, i thought halogen was an element.. :oops:

from wiki:
halogens: comprising fluorine (F), chlorine (Cl), bromine (Br), iodine (I), and astatine (At). The artificially created element 117 (ununseptium) may also be a halogen.

and after a reread sam was refering to the same person as halogen and fluorine.

from wiki:
The six elements commonly recognized as metalloids are boron, silicon, germanium, arsenic, antimony and tellurium.

also, halogens are non metals, so would fluorine really be a serial killer, or would it rather be something good for town such as a vigilante? it doesn t really fit as a third party right or does it?
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am

oh and yeah. I will unvote for now as i realize i didn't understand crap in the first place and i thought there would be metals in the game. Well actually if there are metals i guess it would fit better to 3rd party rather than halogens right?
Major betiko

Postby jonty125 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 am

betiko wrote:from wiki:
The six elements commonly recognized as metalloids are boron, silicon, germanium, arsenic, antimony and tellurium.

ALUMINIUM IS A METALLOID! It's just a very metal like metalloid.
War doesn't determine who's right; it determines who's left.
Cook jonty125

Re: Day 1 Scene - Metalloids Plan

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:39 am

betiko wrote:chemistry time for dummies.
guys sorry i suck a bit at this, have taken just a couple of years of chemistry in high school and that was like 15 years ago. i have to wiki a bit to understand what is going on.

actually fluorine is a halogen, i thought halogen was an element.. :oops:

from wiki:
halogens: comprising fluorine (F), chlorine (Cl), bromine (Br), iodine (I), and astatine (At). The artificially created element 117 (ununseptium) may also be a halogen.

and after a reread sam was refering to the same person as halogen and fluorine.

from wiki:

also, halogens are non metals, so would fluorine really be a serial killer, or would it rather be something good for town such as a vigilante? it doesn t really fit as a third party right or does it?

I think his scene is pretty much indicating that flourine is a third party.
samgrossy wrote:Day 1 Begins

Since 1869 when Dmitri Mendeleev arranged the all the elements into the Periodic Table, elements have been grouped together by similar properties. The metals, conductors of heat and electricity, on one side of the table. Nonmetals, insulators, on the other side. Shoved precariously between them, uncomfortably straddling the “stair-step”, are the metalloids, elements that have qualities of both metals and non-metals.

After almost 150 years of bad placement, there is discord among the elements on the periodic table of elements. Specifically, the metalloids are sick and tired of being disrespected and frankly they are tired of being crowded into their uncomfortable position on the periodic table. The maligned metalloids met in secret and decided that the only way they can really expand is toward the nonmetals. They briefly thought about their elements to the left. But the metals would be too hard to fight. Far too many of them exist to make a coup worthwhile. The nonmetals, on the other hand, are fewer in number, are brittle, and can be really weak. They also know that the nonmetals can be full of hot air, which only seems to solidify the metalloids decision to attempt a volatile take over of the nonmetals.

What none of the elements know is that fluorine, the most reactive and dangerous element on the periodic table, has been making plans of his own. Is now the time for that crazy halogen to overreact to all the strife? Or will he wait for a later time? He could hatch his plans years from now or tomorrow. None of the elements know…yet.

With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch. Day one will end in 12 days, on October 13 at 10 PM EST, or until lynch is reached.

(emphasis added)
The DM has given us a lot of good stuff to work with. First off, he lets us know that we can ignore all the metals completely. There aren't any in the game, period. That means instead of floundering about amongst 111 possible roles we only need to think about 32. (Well, unless he's thrown in one of the hypotheticals from 113 up, which I suspect is rather unlikely.)

Secondly, he pretty clearly indicates that flourine, "the most reactive and dangerous element.... that crazy halogen" is third party, and probably a dangerous third party, not just a Survivor.

So with 13 players and only 32 elements, we've got about a 40% chance of having any particular element on this end of the periodic table, and that should make it easier to narrow stuff down.

I would expect that:
  • the seven main (covalently-bonding) non-metals (and notice that he chose a version of the p. table where the seven main non-metals are coloured an eye-pleasing green) are probably the really good guys (doctors and such)
  • the five (violently bonding) halogens are an unpredictable and mixed bag (it's already almost a given that flourine is a nasty, but I would expect something like Bromine or Iodine to be an Insane Cop or something equally treacherous) and
  • the six (non-bonding) noble gasses to be vanilla townies that don't do anything in particular.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Yes, I believe that Fluorine, being the most reactive of all elements, would make sense as an SKer type. It's a good theory that the chemical properties of the nonmetals would correspond somewhat to their roles, but only to a point. For example, if Bromine is a liquid at room temperature, does that mean Bromine should be BP? Possibilities could abound there. However, I do agree with Duk in that I'd have a hard time pegging the noble gases as anything but VT.
Captain safariguy5

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Duke, don't forget that this is a semi-open game. Insane cops don't figure into the gamut.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Mafia Archives