[Abandoned] - JUDEA

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - JUDEA

Postby Len44 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:15 pm

This map is susposed to be Israel in the biblical times. The regions (continents/bonuses) are the 12 tribes of Israel split up. However, some of the tribes were too small too make them into it's own region so I grouped it with another tribe to make a single region.

It's still a work-in-progress (lol you can notice I haven't named one of the brown region's territories yet and forgot a troop indicator thing on a yellow region territory), so I would like lots of feedback.

first draft
second draft
third draft

FOURTH DRAFT:
Click image to enlarge.

Judah-Benjamin - Green +5
Simeon - Yellow +3
Reuben - Red +2
West Manasseh - Orange +3
East Manasseh - Olive green +4
Gad - Blue +3
Dan-Ephraim - Purple +2
Naphtali-Asher - Cyan + 2

1. The number of territories currently on the map: 38
2. The number of continents: 8
3. Descriptions of any unique features or areas: Oasises, Towns, Cities, and Spice Caravan.

If anyone wants to help, that would rock. And if you plan on playing this map when it's published but see something you'd like different, let me know and I'll change it.
Last edited by Len44 on Tue May 05, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Private Len44

Re: Ancient Israel

Postby tlane on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Wow Great job.
This looks great for a first draft.
For one quick comment, i would say work on where you are going to have bridges cause you need some.
Also, you should check the size requirements, i think this is to big

great job
tlane =D>
Private tlane

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby sailorseal on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Look amazing, just scale it down into the size limits and you will have a great map
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Great! =D>

Very Nice

Some quick suggestions:
*Zones names on the left would be coloured, where is Simeonon on the map?
*The brown zone is very similar to background.
*Raphia and Sharuhen are isolated :?
*Bethsaida and Golan are isolated :?
*Draw the attack routes could be more clear. I can't understand how the right part of the map can attack the left part...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=78808

Draft images should not be larger than 630x600px (small image) or 840x800px (large image).

Anyway, a good starting point.
Well done! =D>

TNBDS

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Cool map, keep up the good work.
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:34 pm

nice work so far. I just want to warn you that somebody will come and attack you for making this map - it happens with every attempt at an israel map. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it happens. Make sure that as you continue you maintain a historical focus more so than a religious focus and you should be able to weather the shit storm.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Qwert on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:26 pm

Hmm,im what age these map covers?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

Postby ustus on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:39 pm

Graphics look really nice so far,

As noted earlier (thenobodies...) you have some impassibles that will need to be bridged. Shouldn't be a problem.

Also, since you've got bonuses being the 12 tribes, i think it is important to include Jerusalem as one of the bonus regions. In whatever specific time period you're working, that would have been very important to the nation. At least, in any period where specific land belonged to specific tribes (correct me if i'm wrong, all my knowledge is Old Testament knowledge, I'm only fairly sure it holds true for times not specifically mentioned and i know you're not trying to do a religious map)...

Good luck!
Corporal ustus

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)

Postby Len44 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Update: Second draft.

Thanks everyone for the kind advice. I added bridges where I thought I needed them. I am also considering adding a trade route which connects Gaza, Joppa, ands Tyre, yet I need some feedback on that idea.

I don't know the exact years this map would cover but it would definently be in the BC, sometime when the twelve tribes of Israel existed. I'll have to do some research on that.

Anything else I need to change? I am also currently working on adding bonuses, 2 Oasises for +1, 1 City for +1, and 1 fortress for +2. Is that good, or should I add/change it?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm missing a name for one of East Mannaseh's territories, could someone maybe help me out on that one? Thanks.
Private Len44

Re: Ancient Israel [2nd draft]

Postby tlane on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Once again great job so far.

The second draft looks nice, but some people may say it is to light, i think it is fine. Also a trade route could be a really cool idea.
What is the blank box in the bottom left, i am a bit confused about that.

keep up the work
tlane
sailorseal wrote:come on, now i am all sticky
Private tlane

Medals: 12
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby sailorseal on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:45 pm

As much as I love the Star of David if we are going with Ancient Israel then it should also have the Muslim and Arab symbols or remove it. I suggest the first option
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby bryguy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Before I start my comments, I must say that it would be greatly appreciated if you put current versions inside [BigImg] tags, such as the following.
Click image to enlarge.

1) Why exactly is there an empty parchment piece in the lower left corner?
2) The texture seems a bit rough. Have you thought of getting a height map for this region? If you look around (Google is your friend ;) ) then I am sure you can find something
3) The bridges are very small and hard to see
4) Is this during the time of the United or Divided monarchy? If this is during the divided monarchy, and you want to go for accuracy, then I suggest that you also split the areas into Israel and Judah.
5) Im not so sure about the accuracy of the placement of each the Israelite tribes. Maybe look at the following pictures? (I am not that sure about the accuracy of it either, but eh) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Tribes.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... nt_830.svg
6) The style you are using for this map seems strange for Ancient Israel. When I think of Ancient Israel, I think of parchment-like maps. Maybe try it that way?
7) Including the names of the rivers may cause some trouble
8) The colors used for the names of different tribes differs from the actual colors used on the map, and this causes some confusion.
9) Its 12 tribes right? I count 11 :?

You have a good map going here, I cant wait to see how it turns out :)
Last edited by bryguy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby shakeycat on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:33 pm

It's a handsome map, and I'm glad to see an approach to Israel that cannot really be argued against.

I'm a little disappointed that of 12 tribes, I only see 8 continents, but I also understand that a map full of 1-2 territory bonuses would give many unfair starts.

You even name the Sea of Galilee, good!
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Sergeant 1st Class shakeycat

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Also post the current image in the first post

Code: Select all
[BigImg]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/LennyLumas/Art/ai1l.png[/BigImg]

leave the previous versions as link

Your first post is your headquarter of your map.
Everybody has to know all the important most informations,seeing your first post. ;)

You missed a name in the green zone
Where is the brown zone in the minimap? :?

TNBDS

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby alexandrois on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:57 pm

You should add in a jerusalem, i know it's not historically acurate for the time zone, but if you had it and it had a good bonus it would be amazing.Good start though by the way
Private 1st Class alexandrois

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Next

Return to Recycling Box