Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Scandinavia

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Scandinavia - Rev VIIII - Aug 19

Postby iancanton on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:05 pm

Lufsen75 wrote:
iancanton wrote:sweden is the obvious place where we can merge territories without upsetting the look of the map, perhaps one in the north and one in the south.

ian. :)

but you will upset the people that lives here.

haha, to reduce the number of territories by 2, an alternative method is to put starting neutrals on finnmark plus one continental danish territory. this has the advantage of preventing anyone from starting with these bonuses from the drop.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Scandinavia - Rev X "the late one" - Oct 3

Postby CoolC on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:22 am

Ogrecrusher wrote:Nice map, two comments. Is it just me that finds the flags odd? They look like they've been flipped to fit better :)
Also, Central Sweden would be a better name than Middle Sweden.

Are the flags odd? Well, they have been arranged to fit each other and the map overall as good as possible, and it's possible one or two actually got flipped but I think it looks good.

I dunno about the name change, I think middle sweden is as good as central, but I might reconsider it...

Regarding the rest of the feedback: I will produce a new version of the map soon, sorry for the lack of updates. Haven't really thought about CC at all latly so I guessed more time passed then I intended before an update was made... time to better myself :)
I don't need a 500px image in my signature because I don't have anything to compensate for.
Private 1st Class CoolC

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:35 pm

I will agree that "central sweden" is a whole lot better than "middle sweden" because it 1. sounds better, and 2. fits in with the "northern" and "southern" seeing as "middle" is generally a noun
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby mibi on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:03 am

Cool map. The subcontinents could use better differentiation.
Captain mibi

Postby Lufsen75 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:59 am

The Neon Peon wrote:I will agree that "central sweden" is a whole lot better than "middle sweden" because it 1. sounds better, and 2. fits in with the "northern" and "southern" seeing as "middle" is generally a noun

Good thing. Now I will think it might be ended. Also I suggest to make some areas to be started neutral as a thing to have to minimize the lottery.
Corporal 1st Class Lufsen75

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:59 pm

This map has been moved into retirement, as there have not been any updates for some time.

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the CAs will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system after an update has been made ;-)

Mr B
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Lufsen75 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:30 pm

I dont see why it shouldnt be able to set out with all other maps.

Postby CoolC on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:42 am

Sorry people for being inactive again. My planned update was delayed and when the map ended up in the scrap heap (now appearently called recycling bin) I figured I might as well take a little "vacation" from Conquerclub and focus on other things. If I can I will provide an update before x-mas but if not, then development of the map will continue beginning of January.
I don't need a 500px image in my signature because I don't have anything to compensate for.
Private 1st Class CoolC

Postby Androidz on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:24 am

Ever tought about makeing the names of the continent in their natural language aswell?

Ex Northern Norway = Nord Norge.
Southern Norway = Sør Norge
Private Androidz

Postby CoolC on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Androidz: Yes I have, but decided it was making it a bit too hard on non scandinavian speaking people.

It looks like beginning of january will be beginning of february instead, but hey... better late then never 8-)
Private 1st Class CoolC

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:12 am

I really like this initiative! :D But should it really take so long to make a map? ;)
I don't know how you've planned on making this map, but today Västra Götaland as it's called in proper Swedish! :P has a cost line! Göteborg the biggest city of Västra Götaland is connected to the Ocean!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 am

I hope this will be done!
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby Sardauk on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Continue developing this! Don't get discouraged. I'd recommend making an original map based on satellite photos, rather than just copy + pasting the images in. Perhaps even with a theme, say the 30-years war or Nordic conflict over 500 years or whatever catches your fancy, other than the region. Good luck!
Cook Sardauk

Postby Gillipig on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:56 am

Remember to give "väster götaland" a cost line between Bohuslän and Halland, and change it to Västra Götaland!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Lufsen75 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:27 am

A tip is to change the name of Northen, Middle and Southern Sweden to its real names Norrland (Northern), Svealand (Middle) and Götaland (Southern). That just for being correct to our map in school.

Re: Scandinavia - Rev X "the late one" [on vacation]

Postby CoolC on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 am

Again, I'm sorry for the extremely slow progress here. Obviously it doesn't take that long to make a map, it's that I haven't been working on it. Lots of different reasons, in the beginning last summer it was the slow progress of the foundry itself but these months (autumn & winter) is entirely my fault. For the most part I had just lost interest in the game.

Men ingen idé att gråta över spilld mjölk, as we say in sweden...

I have worked a bit now on the next revision and I planned to re-activate the thread before going on vacation, but since time is short I think it will just be bad to post a half-assed update and then leave everything for another 6 weeks. I have now updated the first post and will post the next update with all the changes mentioned in the first post sometime in the middle of august. From there on I will work on it as much as I can until it's finished.

Lufsen75: I considered that, but I don't think my partition is matching these regions (norrland, svealand & götaland). That in addition to the fact northern etc. is more easily understandable for non-nordics and also used for the other countries made me decide in the favor of northern/central/southern. It may still be possible to convince me otherwise though...

Gillipig: No sorry, I am using the old "landskap" for Sweden and not todays "region" and "län".

Instead of removing 2 territories to get it down to 59, I am thinking of making Åland and Skåne always start neutral.
Private 1st Class CoolC

Postby alster on Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:41 pm

CoolC wrote:Gillipig: No sorry, I am using the old "landskap" for Sweden and not todays "region" and "län".

Yeah, makes sense. But Gillipig is correct in so far as Västergötland at least should include part of the coast line. That's where Älvsborg fästning stood proud and tall! What do they teach you kids in school these days?
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby Gillipig on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:22 am

alstergren wrote:What do they teach you kids in school these days?

What do you mean with that?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Re: Scandinavia - Rev 11 - Jan 2010

Postby CoolC on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Hello again! I'm finally back and I intend to wrap this map project up now.

I've implemented all suggested changes and features so far, except for giving V.götaland a sea border. I tried doing that in the latest version but it just looked strange. I know it's technically supposed to have a sea border but since there is no function for it (wouldn't give it any new borders or change anything besides visually) and since it caused additional clutter to the map, I decided against it.

The only remaining feature/change I have left in store is maybe changing the borders from white to respective nation color, having them blend into each other. I have a couple of rough tests here below if you want to give me feedback on weather it's a good idea or not;

Image Image

Otherwise feel free to give me suggestions, potential bugs and let's hope we can forge this soon!
Private 1st Class CoolC

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:40 am

I'm currently doing a Nordic countries map, you might want to check it out (link in my sig).
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby iancanton on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:07 am

[moved] to the gameplay workshop. the foundry procedure has changed since the previous update of six months ago: u will now need the gameplay stamp before proceeding to the graphics workshop.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby alster on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:16 pm

iancanton wrote:[moved] to the gameplay workshop. the foundry procedure has changed since the previous update of six months ago: u will now need the gameplay stamp before proceeding to the graphics workshop.

ian.

Dunno about this map. A lot of problems with borders etc. The Nordic map seems to become pretty neat though.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:31 pm

alstergren wrote:Dunno about this map. A lot of problems with borders etc. The Nordic map seems to become pretty neat though.

Hey, if CoolC is still developing it, I think there's room for both maps. This map is more focused on the Scandinavia region, and thus has lots of potential - it can show a more accurate view of Sweden, Norway and Finland, being more "zoomed in" to those countries.

We actually had a discussion with CoolC on how to make our maps distinct, and whereas my map focuses on all of Nordic countries, including Iceland, Svalbard & Faroe islands, his map concentrates more on the Scandinavian peninsula. The gameplay would be different as well.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby CoolC on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:28 pm

alstergren wrote:Dunno about this map. A lot of problems with borders etc.

Care to elaborate?
Private 1st Class CoolC

Re: Scandinavia - Rev 12 - Feb 2010

Postby CoolC on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Not much feedback here these days... but that may be expected after two years :D

I've made another update. Nothing gameplay changing but I thought readability needed to improve on the small map, so I restored the font width (space between letters). This caused some minor collisions with borders that couldn't be fixed by rearranging, but that will be fixed next version by redrawing borders to fit better. The change was definetely worth it, the text is much easier to read now.

Have experimented further with colored borders but I'm doubtful... did a bit of shadow on the borders for now instead. Will do similar shadowing for the text next version, which should both make things look better and make the text even easier to read. Another thing I'm not happy with is the army circles, which have to be visually improved, or removed.

The only idea I have for possible gameplay changes is removing a few areas in sweden and/or norway. But I can't see much improvement doing so, not that it's worth diverting from reality for. I may be wrong of course :)

Edit: I've realized the number of defensible territories for certain bonus areas must go down. That may require removing a few areas, but I think it could be done simply by rearranging the borders somewhat and adding a few more water impassables.
Private 1st Class CoolC

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box