Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Switzerland v16--May 6--PAGE 1+10

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 07, 2008 5:40 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Minor thing: the minimap doesn't have the white border around continents. Maybe it should be added in? Then again, if people (Ruben) can see the borders on the minimap fine, maybe it would look better without it?

Actually I don't remember ever saying I needed the thick white border.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed May 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Minor thing: the minimap doesn't have the white border around continents. Maybe it should be added in? Then again, if people (Ruben) can see the borders on the minimap fine, maybe it would look better without it?

Oh. I guess I just assumed it was you, cause you seem to be the resident color-blind guy :)

In that case, I say we should leave the minimap as is and make the white border around the continents on the main map even thinner.

Also, am I the only one who sees a bit of bias in this poll? :lol:
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed May 07, 2008 6:11 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

Oh. I guess I just assumed it was you, cause you seem to be the resident color-blind guy :)

In that case, I say we should leave the minimap as is and make the white border around the continents on the main map even thinner.

Also, am I the only one who sees a bit of bias in this poll? :lol:

Yea for some reason it makes a combination of the new poll and the old poll, and duplicates some of the options. I posted it in Suggs and Bugs.

And i thought that Ruben wanted the thicker border....
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 07, 2008 6:25 pm

I asked you to change the colour scheme and you did that so that solves the colour blind problem.

I think a thinner white border would do no harm although usually regions are divided from each other with thicker borders. You know what you should do? Make the thicker white border less bright. I think that would make the map look much better.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby pamoa on Thu May 08, 2008 1:56 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:I don't like canton Ticino being part of a French speaking region. Why don't you split Ticino in parts and create a separate 3 territory region for that canton. Places like Bellinzona, Lugano, Locarno or Chiasso could be used to divide canton Ticino. Check a map of the canton Ticino to guide you.
And make it a continent?

Yes make it a "continent". It's the Italian speaking part of Switzerland - Canton Ticino. You have enough space to make at least a 3 territory region (continent).

It's not exact, as i'm living here (just the south end). If you would do so you have also to add the south end of graubünden. But their are 3 way of seeing Ticino in Switzerland:
- it is one of the "latin canton" of switzerland which is the solution choosen by Kaplowitz
- it represent almost all the italian speaking part of Switzerland suggested by Ruben Cassar
- or it can be seen as the old medieval bailiwick of the inner canton Uri and Unterwald and would be in green in the game

So for me, as a "resident", the choice of Kaplowitz is OK and for the game play it seems better for me.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu May 08, 2008 8:27 pm

ugh! now i dont know what to do! Unless i get a lot of support for Ruben's idea, i think ill stay with the way i have it.

Postby pamoa on Fri May 09, 2008 2:12 am

Poll, check it at the moment you can choose between the second and ... the second!!!!!!

Wise attitude about Ticino, do not change too fast, you have to wait for more consitent (other people) comments

go on!
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 09, 2008 4:03 am

pamoa wrote:Poll, check it at the moment you can choose between the second and ... the second!!!!!!

Wise attitude about Ticino, do not change too fast, you have to wait for more consitent (other people) comments

go on!

The problem is that we are the main contributors to this thread. :) Why not make a poll Kaplowitz?

Btw the fact that you're of French origin living in the predominantly Italian region of Ticino has nothing to do with your reasoning I guess? We aren't being a bit biased are we? :p
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 09, 2008 11:10 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
pamoa wrote:Poll, check it at the moment you can choose between the second and ... the second!!!!!!

go on!

The problem is that we are the main contributors to this thread. :) Why not make a poll Kaplowitz?

Btw the fact that you're of French origin living in the predominantly Italian region of Ticino has nothing to do with your reasoning I guess? We aren't being a bit biased are we? :p

polls dont like me

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:polls dont like me

I had the exact same problem with the Archipelago thread, but it fixed itself when it was moved to the main foundry. I'm hoping that it lets me make a new poll there, too, instead of falling back into the messed-up versions.

As for the borders, I really don't have any advice to give you on that. From a gameplay standpoint, I like it as is now, though. But obviously more weight should be given to reality than to gameplay.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 09, 2008 4:00 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:

I had the exact same problem with the Archipelago thread, but it fixed itself when it was moved to the main foundry. I'm hoping that it lets me make a new poll there, too, instead of falling back into the messed-up versions.

As for the borders, I really don't have any advice to give you on that. From a gameplay standpoint, I like it as is now, though. But obviously more weight should be given to reality than to gameplay.

What's the problem with the poll?

Can't a mod help you?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 09, 2008 4:07 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

What's the problem with the poll?

Can't a mod help you?

For some reason, the poll would put up duplicates/triplicates of the options I entered, as well as options from previous polls I had made in the thread. I PMed Gimil, but while he was working on figuring out what the problem was/how to fix it, the thread was moved to the main foundry and when I tried to make a poll there it worked fine. I just fear that my next attempt at making a poll will fail, since the first time I made it in the Map Ideas forum it worked fine too.

It looks like Kaplo is having the same problem.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 09, 2008 4:26 pm

I posted it in suggs and bugs.

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 09, 2008 4:44 pm

Strange I put up some 3 polls in my San Marino map already and I had no problems.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby pamoa on Sat May 10, 2008 1:58 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
pamoa wrote:Wise attitude about Ticino, do not change too fast, you have to wait for more consitent (other people) comments

Absolutely not :oops:, all I say is that Kaplowitz did make a choice out of 3 equivalent way of seeing Ticino in the swiss geo-political context and that's fine for me.

But if we should arrgue about regions repartition of this swiss map I would say there's a much more important matter as I said before

pamoa wrote:page 6: Another very important point about the county grouping. Swtizerland is a democracy founded in 1291 by the alliance of the 3 central county Uri, Schwyz and Unterwald against the austrian emperor. So I think it is important to make a single group for those 3 with some special bonus. It is very important if you want your map make any sense!

pamoa wrote:page 7: And what about making a bonus only for the 3 initial cantons (Uri,Schwytz and Unterwald)!

So my suggestion is to change your regions separation
- Inner Switzerland: Uri, Schwytz, Unterwalden, Glarus, Luzern
- Zurich influence: Zürich, Zug, Aargau, Basel, Schaffhausen, Thurgau, Appenzell, Sankt Gallen
- Bern dominion: Bern, Thun, Brig (Valais), Bienne, Solothurn
- French speakers: Genève, Vaud, Lausanne, Sion, Fribourg, Neuchâtel, Jura
- Graubünden Italian Rumantsch: Thusis (Graubünden), Chur, Scuol, Sankt Moritz, Ticino

Here is also a suggestion for a better border outline in Graubünden, click on it for the original wiki image

Do not dispair, you're doing a great job =D>
Cadet pamoa

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat May 10, 2008 3:22 pm

pamoa wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:
pamoa wrote:Wise attitude about Ticino, do not change too fast, you have to wait for more consitent (other people) comments

Absolutely not :oops:, all I say is that Kaplowitz did make a choice out of 3 equivalent way of seeing Ticino in the swiss geo-political context and that's fine for me.

But if we should arrgue about regions repartition of this swiss map I would say there's a much more important matter as I said before

pamoa wrote:page 6: Another very important point about the county grouping. Swtizerland is a democracy founded in 1291 by the alliance of the 3 central county Uri, Schwyz and Unterwald against the austrian emperor. So I think it is important to make a single group for those 3 with some special bonus. It is very important if you want your map make any sense!

pamoa wrote:page 7: And what about making a bonus only for the 3 initial cantons (Uri,Schwytz and Unterwald)!

So my suggestion is to change your regions separation
- Inner Switzerland: Uri, Schwytz, Unterwalden, Glarus, Luzern
- Zurich influence: Zürich, Zug, Aargau, Basel, Schaffhausen, Thurgau, Appenzell, Sankt Gallen
- Bern dominion: Bern, Thun, Brig (Valais), Bienne, Solothurn
- French speakers: Genève, Vaud, Lausanne, Sion, Fribourg, Neuchâtel, Jura
- Graubünden Italian Rumantsch: Thusis (Graubünden), Chur, Scuol, Sankt Moritz, Ticino

Here is also a suggestion for a better border outline in Graubünden, click on it for the original wiki image

Do not dispair, you're doing a great job =D>

Okay, i will change all of that.

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat May 10, 2008 8:09 pm

v17!
Click image to enlarge.

Major Update!
-Changed Continents according to pamoa
-Changed Bonuses
-Made a pass through the mountains so that Brig is connected to its continent
-Added more snow, i didnt do it the way pamoa wanted because it looked strange. i think this is pretty good.
-un-pixelized continent borders
-added continent names
-corrected some terit names

Still 30 territories, still 5 continents

Whats good and whats bad?
Whats new?
Whats needed to get out of map ideas?
Last edited by Kaplowitz on Sat May 10, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Switzerland v17--May 10--PAGE 1+12

Postby TaCktiX on Sat May 10, 2008 8:13 pm

- There's some lingering purple on Basel that you missed.
- The mountains still don't have me convinced, they seem too pixelated. The snow DID help though.
- I think you're ready to leave Map Ideas
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat May 10, 2008 8:19 pm

I think the colors of Bern Dominion and Graubunden are too similar. I'd recommend doing another color-flip, perhaps between Bern Dominion and French Speakers.

I think the border between Uri, Tcino, and Brig could be made clearer. As I understand it, Brig des not border Uri; however, this could only be discerned on much closer examination.

The mountain pass between Brig and Bern could be improved. Why not just have a split in the mountains, like you do in the territory of Uri? If you insist on using an arrow, then I'd make the curves more uniform. They angle of the curving just seems off somehow.

I like the new legend-box-thing in the upper right corner, but could you increase the colored glow so it's easier to see which color refers to which continent?

I'd add a bridge in from Bern to either Bienne or Solo-Thurn, so the continent is contiguous.

I think the mountains could still be a bit snowier, but the improvement is going in the right direction.

The river/lake - could you make the color a bit of a darker blue? When I think of Swiss rivers/lakes, I (perhaps incorrectly) think of deep, swift-running water, which would be colored fairly darkly. The lighter blue you have now is more reminiscent of a tropical ocean ;)

Other than those things, though, this is looking pretty good. This thing should have been out of map ideas weeks ago :D
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby pamoa on Sun May 11, 2008 11:19 am

Wow it's really impressive to see how you just listen to me, I hope you do not feel dictated by me :oops:

A minor point about territorial continuity of Bern dominion: move Luzern-Solothurn bridge to Bern-Bienne.

And now I'm asking officilay asking for the Idea stamp and you moving out to Main Foundry
Cadet pamoa

Postby multiplayertim on Sun May 11, 2008 11:46 am

i've been watching this idea with a while and it's been coming along really well. i do agree with the purple arrow between Bern and Brig looks out of place. other than that this should be moved to final forge
Winner: Tournament of the Minds
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

Postby TaCktiX on Sun May 11, 2008 1:50 pm

pamoa wrote:Wow it's really impressive to see how you just listen to me, I hope you do not feel dictated by me :oops:

Kaplowitz is crafting a geographic map, with full intention of being provincially correct. You being from Switzerland, you have expert reference in the area. He's been a smart mapmaker and listened to the experts.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun May 11, 2008 7:53 pm

TaCktiX wrote:- There's some lingering purple on Basel that you missed. woops, fixed. Refresh
- The mountains still don't have me convinced, they seem too pixelated. The snow DID help though. Cool, ill work on it a little more.
- I think you're ready to leave Map Ideas w00t!

ZeakCytho wrote:I think the colors of Bern Dominion and Graubunden are too similar. I'd recommend doing another color-flip, perhaps between Bern Dominion and French Speakers. Ill change them

I think the border between Uri, Tcino, and Brig could be made clearer. As I understand it, Brig des not border Uri; however, this could only be discerned on much closer examination. Ill fix that

The mountain pass between Brig and Bern could be improved. Why not just have a split in the mountains, like you do in the territory of Uri? If you insist on using an arrow, then I'd make the curves more uniform. They angle of the curving just seems off somehow. Ill just make a pass
I like the new legend-box-thing in the upper right corner, but could you increase the colored glow so it's easier to see which color refers to which continent? Sure!

I'd add a bridge in from Bern to either Bienne or Solo-Thurn, so the continent is contiguous. Woops!

I think the mountains could still be a bit snowier, but the improvement is going in the right direction. Ill work on it

The river/lake - could you make the color a bit of a darker blue? When I think of Swiss rivers/lakes, I (perhaps incorrectly) think of deep, swift-running water, which would be colored fairly darkly. The lighter blue you have now is more reminiscent of a tropical ocean ;) Good point!

Other than those things, though, this is looking pretty good. This thing should have been out of map ideas weeks ago :D Yay!

pamoa wrote:Wow it's really impressive to see how you just listen to me, I hope you do not feel dictated by me :oops: Not at all, you know the most about Switzerland!

A minor point about territorial continuity of Bern dominion: move Luzern-Solothurn bridge to Bern-Bienne. Ill fix that

And now I'm asking officilay asking for the Idea stamp and you moving out to Main Foundry cool 8-)
multiplayertim wrote:i've been watching this idea with a while and it's been coming along really well. i do agree with the purple arrow between Bern and Brig looks out of place. Im going to just make a pass through the mts. other than that this should be moved to final forge i dont think i can go there yet lol

Postby pamoa on Mon May 12, 2008 3:23 am

here some help for your mountains ;)
Bauria, Georgia / lat: 42.8199° / long: 42.5221°
Last edited by pamoa on Tue May 13, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby multiplayertim on Mon May 12, 2008 8:18 am

got a little ahead of myself with final forge but this has to be moved out of ideas
Winner: Tournament of the Minds
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box