Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Switzerland v17--May 10--PAGE 1+12

Postby RjBeals on Mon May 12, 2008 2:36 pm

no doubt.. This map looks awesome! Great job - get this into the foundry asap!
Private RjBeals

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon May 12, 2008 3:18 pm

pamoa wrote:here some help for your mountains ;)

Cool, :) what is it?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon May 12, 2008 4:41 pm

v18
Click image to enlarge.

All of the updates are in my colorful response ^^^ up a couple of posts.

If you are having trouble with that, ill post them again. ;)

Re: Switzerland v18--May 12--PAGE 1+12

Postby pamoa on Tue May 13, 2008 1:31 am

got the mountains on Google earth, but don't remember where in europe! just found it again (Bauria, Georgia / lat: 42.8199° / long: 42.5221°)
Just a spelling mistake: Schwyz, sorry I did the mistake and give you the french spelling :oops:
Zürich and Neuchâtel miss the accent
Last edited by pamoa on Tue May 13, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 13, 2008 7:14 am

pamoa wrote:got the mountains on Google earth, but don't remember where in europe!

Just a spelling mistake: Schwyz, sorry I did the mistake and give you the french spelling :oops:

I thought you had made those mountains yourself pamoa. :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue May 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
pamoa wrote:got the mountains on Google earth, but don't remember where in europe!

I thought you had made those mountains yourself pamoa. :)

I would be absolutely amazed if someone could make that image.

Now...why hasn't this thing gotten the Idea Stamp yet!?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed May 14, 2008 3:32 pm

So does anyone have anything to say other than those spelling mistakes?

Postby t-o-m on Wed May 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:So does anyone have anything to say other than those spelling mistakes?

I DO I DO!!

STAMP THIS NOW! 8-)
Major t-o-m

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 pm

t-o-m wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:So does anyone have anything to say other than those spelling mistakes?

I DO I DO!!

STAMP THIS NOW! 8-)

That :)
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed May 14, 2008 3:55 pm

:P

Postby t-o-m on Wed May 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Image

lmao

congratzz =D> =D>
Major t-o-m

Postby gimil on Thu May 15, 2008 7:30 am

good work pal.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby bryguy on Thu May 15, 2008 7:40 am

gimil wrote:Image

good work pal.

Kaplowitz wrote:Image

NO! you have 1 more stamp than me!

But congratz :mrgreen:
Corporal bryguy

Postby pamoa on Thu May 15, 2008 8:34 am

=D> Congratulations you gan put the [I] in your title

but don't fall asleep [-X
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Re: Switzerland v18--May 12--PAGE 1+12 [I]

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu May 15, 2008 9:24 am

Yay!

Now i just need some comments
All i have is the text corrections from pamoa

Postby bryguy on Thu May 15, 2008 10:00 am

Theres a dark inner line that goes around the inside, but half the time it disappears, could u fix that?
Corporal bryguy

Postby multiplayertim on Thu May 15, 2008 2:00 pm

Fribourg has a bit of gray in it where it borders Bern,

the dark line around the edge that changes colour with each continent is very light or not visible in some areas,

theres some purple in Ticino,

could you highlight the names in BernDominion so their the same as the rest of the names,

theres some orange creeping across the border between ZurichInfluence and Inner Switzerland,
t
he Purple in French Speakers is very light in some of the continent,

do you think the army circle for Schaffhausen could be more centered as the name isn't in the way of this,

orange in Zurich Influence is also a bit light in east of continent.

thats about all for now
Winner: Tournament of the Minds
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu May 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Finally! About time this got into the main foundry.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby oaktown on Fri May 16, 2008 12:01 am

would you consider cleaning up the first post? Maybe just give links to previous versions rather than posting every one.

thanks
Captain oaktown

Postby mibi on Fri May 16, 2008 6:52 am

I really can't get over how ugly this image is and how ugly it has grown from its high point at v5. Here are my issues.

1. First the title needs to be destroyed entirely, I am not sure how that plastic wrapped glowing bed sore ever made it past version 1. It's amateur and gaudy.

2. IS there a reason why the background is a life sucking shade of washed out brown and grey. If boring had a hue, you should file a patent. Switzerland, the crisp blue skies, snow capped mountains, have been reduced to some industrial blur. What is that red and yellow thing anyways. Also lose the grungy border.

3. The glorious swiss alps have been reduced to a few virus looking trails. If the mountains are not featured in the foreground and they are not present in the background, then its not switzerland. Half of Switzerland is mountainous, unfortunately, it looks like someone dropped some food on this map and called it a mountain.

4. The territory text does not fit. Wrong font. That is one of the ugliest sans I have seen.

5. The whole map looks like you took 20 filters and tutorials and threw it at the screen to see what stuck. I was hoping for something cleaner, fresher, more switzerlandish. The crisp territory borders are a good start. Except where they start glowing at the edges.
Captain mibi

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 16, 2008 2:55 pm

mibi wrote:I really can't get over how ugly this image is and how ugly it has grown from its high point at v5. Here are my issues.
Im pretty sure that after version 5, you had a comment that the colors were bad. Everyone was saying that it was too dark, so after various attempts at lightening it up, i came to the current colors, and everyone was content. Are you suggesting to go back to those original colors?

1. First the title needs to be destroyed entirely, I am not sure how that plastic wrapped glowing bed sore ever made it past version 1. It's amateur and gaudy.
The next update will have a new title.

2. IS there a reason why the background is a life sucking shade of washed out brown and grey. If boring had a hue, you should file a patent. Switzerland, the crisp blue skies, snow capped mountains, have been reduced to some industrial blur. What is that red and yellow thing anyways. Also lose the grungy border.
No one liked the picture, and a lot of other colors are too distracting. I could try a whiter color, and i will fool around with it. Ill remove the border

3. The glorious swiss alps have been reduced to a few virus looking trails. If the mountains are not featured in the foreground and they are not present in the background, then its not switzerland. Half of Switzerland is mountainous, unfortunately, it looks like someone dropped some food on this map and called it a mountain.
Well, i was having trouble with where to put mountains, and pamao suggested these locations. I dont really know where else to put them. Any suggestions?

4. The territory text does not fit. Wrong font. That is one of the ugliest sans I have seen.
Ill just put up a poll with different fonts.

5. The whole map looks like you took 20 filters and tutorials and threw it at the screen to see what stuck. I was hoping for something cleaner, fresher, more switzerlandish. The crisp territory borders are a good start. Except where they start glowing at the edges. Actually the main map has only one filter, angled strokes. The bg is another story. I didnt know what to do with it, so i played around. I honestly dont think there is so much going on

oaktown wrote:would you consider cleaning up the first post? Maybe just give links to previous versions rather than posting every one.

thanks

Done ;)

multiplayertim wrote:Fribourg has a bit of gray in it where it borders Bern,

the dark line around the edge that changes colour with each continent is very light or not visible in some areas,

theres some purple in Ticino,

could you highlight the names in BernDominion so their the same as the rest of the names,

theres some orange creeping across the border between ZurichInfluence and Inner Switzerland,
t
he Purple in French Speakers is very light in some of the continent,

do you think the army circle for Schaffhausen could be more centered as the name isn't in the way of this,

orange in Zurich Influence is also a bit light in east of continent.

thats about all for now

Il change all of that, but the Bern Dominion has a stroke- its just hard to see because it is gray on gray.

bryguy wrote:Theres a dark inner line that goes around the inside, but half the time it disappears, could u fix that?

It disappears because of the lighting, ill just get rid of it.

Postby bryguy on Tue May 20, 2008 10:25 am

wow, u took mibi's usual pounding really well.....

and thanks for letting me know that you'll remove it :D
Corporal bryguy

Postby pamoa on Tue May 20, 2008 11:25 am

I was just reading all the map texts and i suggest you to change French speakers which a bit pejorative (I know I said it) to Romandie.
Cadet pamoa

Postby RjBeals on Thu May 22, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi Kap - I know you say there is an update coming, and probably some of my comments will be included in that update, but I'll list them anyway.

1) As mibi and you said, the title looks bad, and so does the entire maps border, and your signature.
2) I love the territ colors. The shades from darker to lighter areas are very cool.
3) You need to work on your fonts & placement of circles & names. Are your circles (for instance Sankt Mortiz) placed in certain positions for a reason? If possible, they should be closer to the territ name, and the center of the region, if it fits.
4) I also don't get your background. I like it, but I'm not sure if fits the Swiss feeling this map should have. Should be colder feeling, and not as dark.
5) The rivers look good, but the lake looks strange. I would shape the lake edge so it follows the Neuchatel border.

Nice looking map though Kap - I'll wait for your update
Private RjBeals

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu May 22, 2008 3:39 pm

RjBeals wrote:Hi Kap - I know you say there is an update coming, and probably some of my comments will be included in that update, but I'll list them anyway.

1) As mibi and you said, the title looks bad, and so does the entire maps border, and your signature.
2) I love the territ colors. The shades from darker to lighter areas are very cool.
3) You need to work on your fonts & placement of circles & names. Are your circles (for instance Sankt Mortiz) placed in certain positions for a reason? If possible, they should be closer to the territ name, and the center of the region, if it fits.
4) I also don't get your background. I like it, but I'm not sure if fits the Swiss feeling this map should have. Should be colder feeling, and not as dark.
5) The rivers look good, but the lake looks strange. I would shape the lake edge so it follows the Neuchatel border.

Nice looking map though Kap - I'll wait for your update

1) i have a pretty good solution in the next update
3) Ill try to find better places
4) Yeah, i know. Thats really whats holding up my update (other than Pendragon 9)
5) ill work on it

edit: RJ, are you still looking at GFX or something? I saw gimil's post...but it looks like it was deleted...

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box