Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Romania

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Romania [I] - v17.5 - pg 1/13 Oaktown's Tweaks

Postby oaktown on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:22 am

alright, I think I liked the map better without the mountain pass in the north, but I can live with this... giving Maramures access to another region may play better. Consider yourself gameplay stamped.

As do most others, I really like the look of this map. I think you still have a few specific graphics issues to address - some of your borders are hard to make out, like Tulcea-Constanta (unde the region title), and Suceava-Bistrita (which is lost in the fold), and I would endeavor to get territory names (Covasna, Salaj) off of borders whenever possible. Where the table wood shows through the edges of the map look way too clean, and I'm not sure what's going on in the bottom right hand corner.

Captain oaktown

Re: Romania [I] - v17.5 - pg 1/13 Oaktown's Tweaks

Postby foregone on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:38 am

oaktown wrote:alright, I think I liked the map better without the mountain pass in the north, but I can live with this... giving Maramures access to another region may play better. Consider yourself gameplay stamped.

As do most others, I really like the look of this map. I think you still have a few specific graphics issues to address - some of your borders are hard to make out, like Tulcea-Constanta (unde the region title), and Suceava-Bistrita (which is lost in the fold), and I would endeavor to get territory names (Covasna, Salaj) off of borders whenever possible. Where the table wood shows through the edges of the map look way too clean, and I'm not sure what's going on in the bottom right hand corner.

The good, the bad, the ugly ;)

Thanks oak, will also look at the stuff you mentioned while I'm making the edges prettier/uglier. Yay for stamps.
Corporal 1st Class foregone

Re: Romania [I, Gp] - v17.5 - pg 1/13 Update to come

Postby yeti_c on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:19 am

Congrats on your stamp Foregone.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby t-o-m on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:01 am

Fantastic foregone.
Well done.

I hope to see this map up soon, it looks great ;)
Major t-o-m

Postby foregone on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:48 am

yeti_c wrote:Congrats on your stamp Foregone.

C.

t-o-m wrote:Fantastic foregone.
Well done.

I hope to see this map up soon, it looks great ;)

Thanks, guys.

Re: Romania [I, Gp] - v18- pg 1/14 Edges, etc

Postby foregone on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:08 am

As the prophecy decreed:

- Added some shadowing around the ripped edges, and a couple of extra rips.
- Moved the Bistrita - Suceava border to take it off the fold and make it clear.
- Added the blood drips at the bottom right.
- Moved Salaj and Constanta territory names off the borders.
- Fixed the tiny guff at the coat of arms.
- Worked on the page curls, and added some shadowing overing the wood at the curls.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Where now, brown cow?

Re: Romania [I, Gp] - v18 - pg 1/14 Edges, etc.

Postby yeti_c on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:33 pm

The new curls, rips, blood splats look a lot better...

1 little thing the "Do" of Dobrega seems to get washed out by the continent colour - perhaps the ordering isn't quite right on that label or something.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm not a big fan of the curls in the corners. They look too fake for me to like.
Maybe leaving them flat would look better, or keeping the curls, but making them more rough and jagged, I'm not sure.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby foregone on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:43 pm

yeti_c wrote:The new curls, rips, blood splats look a lot better...

1 little thing the "Do" of Dobrega seems to get washed out by the continent colour - perhaps the ordering isn't quite right on that label or something.

C.

Thanks, yeti.

Originally all of the titles had splashes of fade, but somewhere along the line I went in a different direction. Will fix this up.

wcaclimbing wrote:I'm not a big fan of the curls in the corners. They look too fake for me to like.
Maybe leaving them flat would look better, or keeping the curls, but making them more rough and jagged, I'm not sure.

Ack. I'd like to hear what others think. If people generally feel this way I'll think of a change. I think they look kinda nice, but that may be because I made them, heh.

Postby MrBenn on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 pm

The shadowing makes a big difference, but the paper edge still looks pixellated to me... I'm also not a fan of the curly corners...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby DiM on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:51 pm

i say keep the curls. i like them. what i don't like is the fact that the colour on the curls seems to be too bright. use clipping mask to put a piece of the map on top of that curl. this will ensure it's the same tone.

also the rips of the paper are too pixelated. work on making them smoother (zoom in a lot when cutting those pieces) and then take the paper layer and give it a drop shadow. not too much. perhaps a size 3 and distance 4. it will add depth to the rips and make them more realistic.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:55 pm

DiM wrote:i say keep the curls. i like them. what i don't like is the fact that the colour on the curls seems to be too bright. use clipping mask to put a piece of the map on top of that curl. this will ensure it's the same tone.

also the rips of the paper are too pixelated. work on making them smoother (zoom in a lot when cutting those pieces) and then take the paper layer and give it a drop shadow. not too much. perhaps a size 3 and distance 4. it will add depth to the rips and make them more realistic.

DiM - did you ensure the pic was fully loaded - I thought they were badly pixelated - but after it came fully in - it was a lot better (it seems to take a long time to get the images of this map!)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:12 pm

yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:i say keep the curls. i like them. what i don't like is the fact that the colour on the curls seems to be too bright. use clipping mask to put a piece of the map on top of that curl. this will ensure it's the same tone.

DiM - did you ensure the pic was fully loaded - I thought they were badly pixelated - but after it came fully in - it was a lot better (it seems to take a long time to get the images of this map!)

C.

it loads instantly for me so no problem there.
and yes there is pixelization present.

compare this part of the map:

with this rip from the sig i posted earlier:

also notice how a little drop shadow adds depth and makes the rip look better :mrgreen:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: Romania [I, Gp] - v18.1 - pg 1/15 Edges, etc.

Postby foregone on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:23 am

Last edited by foregone on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DiM on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:45 am

much better. the rips now look real. except for the one in top left corner near the map title, it's still a bit pixelated. but all other look great.
Major DiM

Postby foregone on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:13 am

DiM wrote:much better. the rips now look real. except for the one in top left corner near the map title, it's still a bit pixelated. but all other look great.

Was thinking of leaving that one looking like that to make it seem like brittle broken pieces (happens with old paper). But I'll fix it and smoothe it out, seems easier. Thanks.

Postby DiM on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:18 am

if a paper is so brittle than surely it won't have curled corners. they would break immediately and turn into dust.
so just smooth it :mrgreen:
and while you're at it perhaps add another small rip in the bottom right corner. that place seems too neat and clean compared to the rest of the map. a little ripped corner would break the straight lines you have there and make it better.
Major DiM

Postby foregone on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:53 pm

DiM wrote:if a paper is so brittle than surely it won't have curled corners. they would break immediately and turn into dust.
so just smooth it :mrgreen:

Stupid logic and science ;). Smoothed edge coming, heh.

DiM wrote:and while you're at it perhaps add another small rip in the bottom right corner. that place seems too neat and clean compared to the rest of the map. a little ripped corner would break the straight lines you have there and make it better.

Also adding. Update should be here in a few minutes.

Postby RjBeals on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:55 pm

WELL DONE. Looks much better. Not much else I see to do with this map.
Private RjBeals

Re: Romania [I, Gp] - v18.2 - pg 1/15 Edges, etc.

Postby foregone on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:25 pm

And so it came to pass that:

The top left edges were fixed up a bit.
Another little cut was added at the bottom left.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Looks much better.
:D
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby foregone on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:30 pm

RjBeals wrote:WELL DONE. Looks much better. Not much else I see to do with this map.

wcaclimbing wrote:Looks much better.
:D

Dankie baaie, thank you very much, muito obrigado. :mrgreen:

Re: Romania [I, Gp] - v18.2 - pg 1/15 Last? edges, etc.

Postby asl80 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:42 am

looks great, love all the touches, well fixed up, well done!
Lieutenant asl80

Postby foregone on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:44 am

asl80 wrote:looks great, love all the touches, well fixed up, well done!

Thanks, asl. :)

Postby DiM on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:59 am

sorry to be picky but while the top left corner is an improvement over what you had i'm not very convinced by the rip's authenticity. it feels more like bite marks from a rodent than a rip. :P to be more exact, the rip is too round.

and one tiny bit on the graphics, the text "Map Legend" should be moved a little to the left to make it visible. it's not a big problem for me since it's obvious the rest of the text is realistically hidden behind the curl but other may have problems with this so perhaps some other opinions are needed.

other than this the graphics are fine to me and i think a stamp is deserved.

on the gameplay i have no major concerns. the bonuses are fine, the connections are good and it will play great in 2-4 player games. not so sure about big games (8p) because you don't have too many small continents so some players may not get a foothold and they'll be sitting ducks. but that's not a problems since most maps are best on specific settings.

in other words with a few graphic touches i think this is ready for final forge.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box