[Abandoned] - Exodus

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Exodus

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:22 am

It is 1400 B.C.E and God has commissioned you to lead His people out of Egypt to the Promised Land. Your job is to lead them out and eliminate all obstacles that stand in your way! But be careful as the people are a hard bunch and you'll end up wandering around the desert for 40 years.

Map of Israel and the Exodus from Egypt
Number of territories - 70 including:
- Red Sea Crossing as a killer neutral resetting to 3 at the start of your turn
- 10 Commandments and Ark of the Covenant and Golden Calf
- Moses, Aaron and Pharaoh

8 Starting positions the rest being neutral

Snakes which have a -1 every turn

Build your own bonus

Click image to enlarge.

show: Previous Images
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 39 times in total.
Reason: vacation tag added
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Re: Exodus

Postby Ray Rider on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 am

I like it that you have Mt. Sinai at the more logical location rather than the traditional one. Looks great so far! Definitely a rough draft though ;)
Last edited by Ray Rider on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby grifftron on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:51 am

love it, just interested on what the bonuses will turn out to be. Good luck on this project, i will be following.

-griff
‹army of nobunaga› me and so many other people including people in your own clan look at you as a joke
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 120
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14)
Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (3)

Postby skeletonboy on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Whats the difference between the green and the brown roads?
Corporal 1st Class skeletonboy

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby zimmah on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 pm

the brown roads are muddy, and the green ones are grassy.

anyways, nice map.
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Lieutenant zimmah

Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Postby Rih0 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:06 pm

Seems good. some roads seems too big. There's nohing in their middle tha can make it "specialler"? Keep doing, I know this will be a great map if you work hard on it
Cook Rih0

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Hmm... I like the general graphical approach.

I don't like the lack of territories. Once again, I personally do not favor lines though I see how it could work for aspects of this map.

To be honest though.. I can't make heads or tails of the gameplay without a legend.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:06 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Hmm... I like the general graphical approach.

I don't like the lack of territories. Once again, I personally do not favor lines though I see how it could work for aspects of this map.

To be honest though.. I can't make heads or tails of the gameplay without a legend.

I'll be posting the updated version here shortly!! Stay tuned!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Here is the new version with bonuses and MORE territories!!

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby grifftron on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:28 pm

now thats better, what are the bonuses for holding things around the plagues? and is there a victory goal on the map?

-griff
‹army of nobunaga› me and so many other people including people in your own clan look at you as a joke
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 120
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14)
Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (3)

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:52 pm

OK, that helps. I don't understand why anyone would attack a plague though unless they absolutely had to. I'm not sure that their place is on the map either.

Perhaps something could be worked out where the plagues are off map and there is a penalty for holding a plague and and egyptian territory.
Cook Industrial Helix

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 pm

grifftron wrote:now thats better, what are the bonuses for holding things around the plagues? and is there a victory goal on the map?

-griff

I'm still researching for other Egyptian cities from this time frame. so far no go. I had thought of a victory condition of holding the Israelite route, but decided against that because it is to hard to hold.

Industrial Helix wrote:OK, that helps. I don't understand why anyone would attack a plague though unless they absolutely had to. I'm not sure that their place is on the map either.

Perhaps something could be worked out where the plagues are off map and there is a penalty for holding a plague and and egyptian territory.

Can you please explain? Do you mean they should be off to the side of the map?

I had thought of giving a bonus for holding 9 plagues (since First Born Dead is a killer neutral), like maybe a +6 to help offset losing a man a turn?

A penalty like -2 for holding a Egyptian city and a plague?

How about -1 for holding 3 plagues?

Personally I would like to keep the plagues on the map to show that they were all over Egypt.

People would attack a plague to receive their armies. I don't know, do you have any ideas and/or suggestions?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Exodus V1.1, pg.1

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:09 am

Well, the thing you're conveying with putting them on the map is that they were in a specific area of Egypt, not all over.

What I mean is that the plagues could be off map and a force of their own. I dunno, it's hard to explain without just designing the map. I think that something along the lines of the proposed Trojan War map would work much better. Where there are two sphere's of activity, the heavenly and earthly.

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=18629&hilit=trojan+war

Maybe you could throw some important people in there as well, Moses, Aaron and (was it?) Ramses. Plus, the Ark of the Covenant, Ten commandments, Crossing the red sea. These are paths to activity in the heavenly sphere. The more I think of it, you've got an epic story to tell and but right now it's starting to look like Route 66 with different names.

Another possibility would be to add the Egyptian pantheon in there as well. One God and ten plagues versus all 10 key Egyptian deity figures. I mean, each plague was a response to the supposed authority that each Egyptian god had so this could be a cool function of the game. For example, Darkness one way attacks Ra the Sun God, Blood to Water attacks Hapi, Locusts attack Seth, Death of the first born attack Pharaoh.

Of course, the path to the God attacks Egyptian gods would be something like the Ark of the Covenant or Moses or Aaron.

That's what I'm thinking.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:55 am

Industrial Helix wrote:Well, the thing you're conveying with putting them on the map is that they were in a specific area of Egypt, not all over.

Would it help if I did not have them connected to certain cities, but put in the legend that they are a two-way attack to all Egyptian cities?

What I mean is that the plagues could be off map and a force of their own. I dunno, it's hard to explain without just designing the map. I think that something along the lines of the proposed Trojan War map would work much better. Where there are two sphere's of activity, the heavenly and earthly.

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=18629&hilit=trojan+war

Maybe you could throw some important people in there as well, Moses, Aaron and (was it?) Ramses. Plus, the Ark of the Covenant, Ten commandments, Crossing the red sea. These are paths to activity in the heavenly sphere. The more I think of it, you've got an epic story to tell and but right now it's starting to look like Route 66 with different names.

Yes I am going to put more in like those you mentioned plus some others. Yea Route 66 came to mind, but I positively did not want to go in that direction.

It wasn't Ramses. This is what I found when doing my research:
The latest scarab found at Kahun was of Neferhoptep, who was apparently the pharaoh that was ruling when the Israelite slaves suddenly left Kahun and fled from Egypt in the exodus. According to Manetho, he was the last king to rule before the Hyksos occupied Egypt 'without a battle'. Without a battle? Where was the Egyptian army? It was at the bottom of the Red Sea (Exodus 14:28). This pharaohs mummy has never been found!
So maybe I can do another inset of Raamses with Neferhoptep, Moses and Aaron for a bonus of +3 for holding all four?

With regards to the 10 Commandments, how about an inset of Mt. Sinai and have something like follow the 10 Commandments and find favor with God for +5? Also if you you hold all of the commandments and the Ark of the Covenant a bonus of +7?

The Red Sea I was thinking of having it as a killer neutral. I think that would be appropriate since the Egyptian were killed there. I don't know how I can fit it in, so I'll just have to play around with it.

Another possibility would be to add the Egyptian pantheon in there as well. One God and ten plagues versus all 10 key Egyptian deity figures. I mean, each plague was a response to the supposed authority that each Egyptian god had so this could be a cool function of the game. For example, Darkness one way attacks Ra the Sun God, Blood to Water attacks Hapi, Locusts attack Seth, Death of the first born attack Pharaoh.

Of course, the path to the God attacks Egyptian gods would be something like the Ark of the Covenant or Moses or Aaron.

That's what I'm thinking.

These are all GREAT ideas IH! Thank you! I will play around and see what I can fit in and still maintain some clarity.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:28 pm

Here is Version 1.2 with (hopefully) some good changes with added strategy!

Changes done:
- Removed plagues from Egypt and set them down in legend area with an explanation of the attack routes
- Added 10 Commandments and Ark of the Covenant as a side box to Mt. Sinai with a +2 bonus for holding all
- Added Moses, Aaron and Nerphtoptep to Raamses with a + 3 bonus for holding all
- Added 5 more Egyptian cities
- Added Snakes with a -1 army if held
These are the only changes so far!

Need to do:
Add a Killer neutral for the Red Sea.
Hmmm ... Need more suggestions and ideas!!

Without further ado, here is the latest and ... well just the latest version!

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Next

Return to Recycling Box