Conquer Club

Slovakia - V12 - Pg 1&14

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Slovakia [19.01.12] - V2 - P1

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 am

DiM wrote:doodle and luxembourg are 2 of the most played maps

Doesn't mean they are the best maps.

Do we really need more tiny maps? If you want to gamble points you can already do it on doodle.

24 regions is a good minimum amount, it gives 3 regions each in 8-player games. Any less than that makes the games way too dependent on luck.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 am

natty_dread wrote:

best is a subjective term. they're clearly very popular. ask a doodle assassin fanatic and he'll say those maps are the best.
ask a waterloo farmer and he'll say they're the worst.

natty_dread wrote:Do we really need more tiny maps? If you want to gamble points you can already do it on doodle.

yes we need. we have probably 150 average sized maps a few small and a few large with very few extra large and only 2 tiny ones. we clearly need less average and more extremes (both tiny and huge)

natty_dread wrote:24 regions is a good minimum amount, it gives 3 regions each in 8-player games. Any less than that makes the games way too dependent on luck.

so? it's obvious that if you want a slow paced long lasting strategic intensive game you won't join this map. heck you won't join a 24 terit map either. but if you want something fast and furious with little to no time for planning then you'll surely head for a doodle assassin, right?
the fact that people decide to play doodle earth 627499 times makes me think there are a lot of people out there that enjoy maps with quite a lot of luck involved.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Peter Gibbons on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:07 am

natty_dread wrote:

Do we really need more tiny maps? If you want to gamble points you can already do it on doodle.

24 regions is a good minimum amount, it gives 3 regions each in 8-player games. Any less than that makes the games way too dependent on luck.

It's not just gambling on points, though I know some obviously do that. Luxembourg (and Cyprus) are two maps I use regularly in tournaments to add an extra small map into the mix. I'd actually think it'd be very beneficial to add 5-6 of these type of maps. There's really no harm, right?

That said, while I love this map in principle and really like the look, I think it will need work on defining and explaining the connections. I look at it and none of that is obvious to me, initially.
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby Roberth on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:26 am

DiM wrote:4. moved the coat of arms

Must say that I like number 4 the best. But number 2 is not bad either. Great work.
Maybe do something to make the capitals more easily readable. Something like the last example you made.
Conquer Club Wiki website is a try to gather all the knowledge about Conquer Club
Cook Roberth

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 am

Roberth wrote:Must say that I like number 4 the best. But number 2 is not bad either. Great work.
Maybe do something to make the capitals more easily readable. Something like the last example you made.

the problem with #4 is that without the coat of arms that flag is identical to the russian flag. 8-[
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:33 am

Can you try to do something different with the capital names. They get lost depending which coloured part flag they are in.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:35 am

koontz1973 wrote:Can you try to do something different with the capital names. They get lost depending which coloured part flag they are in.

i did here:
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:37 am

Better, but more opacity.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Roberth on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 am

DiM wrote:
Roberth wrote:Must say that I like number 4 the best. But number 2 is not bad either. Great work.

the problem with #4 is that without the coat of arms that flag is identical to the russian flag. 8-[

Oh! Didn't think of that, but you're right.
Then maybe number 2 or 3 might be the best one. I'm starting to like 3 more and more. With changes to the look of the capital names.
Cook Roberth

Postby J_Indr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 am

DiM wrote:
Oneyed wrote:
DiM wrote:i don't think it needs a theme. i mean it is a just a country with a classic gameplay. nothing fancy. themes are usually for fantasy maps or weird gameplay.
as for the regions i want it like this to be a small map.

ok. but only 16 regions? what about historical/cultural regions with towns? there will be more regions with more borders also...

obviously a hundred variations can be made ranging from gameplay to number of regions. my choice is a classic gameplay with few terits.

Oneyed wrote:
DiM wrote:i think i have all of those names corrected in version 2. i didn't add kraj because that means region and it seems rather redundant to repeat it all over.

but Bratislavský sounds uncomplete...

Oneyed

i'll need more opinions on this.

DiM: I think it's OK without "kraj". Obviously, what you're left with is just an adjective, but I still think it has a meaning.

Oneyed: Well, maybe you can create something like a more complex and detailed map of something like interwar Czechoslovakia with furhter features later. I know I'd love to see something like it ;-)
Corporal 1st Class J_Indr

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:24 am

V3:
*changed capital names for better visibility with increased opacity
*chose a version that's somewhere between #2 and #3
*arranged the terit names to be at the same distance from the army boxes
*reduced a bit the opacity of the army boxes
*added an explanation in the legend to explain that the 2 terits inside the same area are connected. (is it necessary?)

Major DiM

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 am

J_Indr wrote:DiM: I think it's OK without "kraj". Obviously, what you're left with is just an adjective, but I still think it has a meaning.

it is not. what does mean Bratislavský? Bratislavský WHAT? if you say Bratislavský you must say what, each Slovak will wait what - Bratislavský kraj, Bratislavský hrad (castle), Bratislavský starosta (burgomaster) and so on...
J_Indr wrote:Oneyed: Well, maybe you can create something like a more complex and detailed map of something like interwar Czechoslovakia with furhter features later. I know I'd love to see something like it ;-)

there wasn´t any interwar :) . and will see, I need much more graphic skill....

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Oneyed wrote:
J_Indr wrote:DiM: I think it's OK without "kraj". Obviously, what you're left with is just an adjective, but I still think it has a meaning.

it is not. what does mean Bratislavský? Bratislavský WHAT? if you say Bratislavský you must say what, each Slovak will wait what - Bratislavský kraj, Bratislavský hrad (castle), Bratislavský starosta (burgomaster) and so on...

so Bratislavský without the "kraj" does not mean anything?
isn't Bratislavský the name?
if it makes no sense without it, then i guess i'll have to add kraj.
Major DiM

Postby sannemanrobinson on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 pm

DiM wrote:V3:
*added an explanation in the legend to explain that the 2 terits inside the same area are connected. (is it necessary?)

It is obvious that the capital and its territory it is in are connected. So no.

Better is to mention that the capital connects to the same territories as the territory it is in. "Capitals connect to its own region and neighboring regions" or similar.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:15 pm

DiM wrote:so Bratislavský without the "kraj" does not mean anything?

exactly, Bratislavský is something like adjective. it only define which or from.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Oneyed wrote:

exactly, Bratislavský is something like adjective. it only define which or from.

ok, i thought it was something like the USA has with its states where There's no need to say Texas state because it's obvious Texas is a state.

then in the next version i'll add the kraj to the regions.
Major DiM

Re: Slovakia [19.01.12] - V3 - P1&3

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:49 pm

DiM, your legend, does it really need to be that dark, I know you want grunge, but please please please please lighten it up more. I really am straining to read it.
Can you move some region names from the crest - Nitra, Banskostickywhateveritiscalled. This will aid in reading those names.
Last thing, your map is wide so[BigImg][/BigImg] tags so I do not have to look past your medals. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:10 pm

koontz1973 wrote:DiM, your legend, does it really need to be that dark, I know you want grunge, but please please please please lighten it up more. I really am straining to read it.
Can you move some region names from the crest - Nitra, Banskostickywhateveritiscalled. This will aid in reading those names.

will do.

koontz1973 wrote:Last thing, your map is wide so[BigImg][/BigImg] tags so I do not have to look past your medals. ;)

don't tell me your display can't fit 800px width... heck even mobile phones have a bigger width than that :shock:
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Still got my original monitor that I bought 15 years ago. Been meaning to update it but never got round to it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:18 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Still got my original monitor that I bought 15 years ago. Been meaning to update it but never got round to it.

further proof they don't make things like they used to.
i wonder what part of any current pc would last 15 years :lol:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:20 pm

V4:
*changed the title
*moved some terits and terit names
*lightened the grunge on the top left corner so the legend is more visible
*tweaked the overall grunge.
*added "kraj" to all the region names

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:24 pm

DiM wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Still got my original monitor that I bought 15 years ago. Been meaning to update it but never got round to it.

further proof they don't make things like they used to.
i wonder what part of any current pc would last 15 years :lol:

The rate things get updated with PC's, it was old and outdated the moment you walked out of the shop with it.

Come to think of it, that is what the wife said when we got married. :sick:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby J_Indr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:30 pm

DiM wrote:
Oneyed wrote:

ok, i thought it was something like the USA has with its states where There's no need to say Texas state because it's obvious Texas is a state.

then in the next version i'll add the kraj to the regions.

Like I said, Bratislavsky is an adjective, but it's absolutely OK to put it on the map* (because that itself gives the context to give the meaning to the adjective). It's as if you had adjectives 'still' and 'sparkling' on a bottle of water. Because, albeit them being adjectives without meaning, everybody knows that they refer to the 'still water' and 'sparkling water' which is inside.
* It wouldn't make much sense in a spoken language, without the direct reference to 'kraj'. That's not the issue here though.

Also, here is an example of a couple of maps without "kraj" (obviously there are maps with it too):
http://www.mapy-stiefel.cz/detail.asp?polozka=X47306
http://www.evropskaunie123.cz/clanek.php?id=27 (at the bottom)
http://www.slovenergia.sk/?id=3&subid=0&lang=sk

I mean, I guess there's no pint in arguing - DiM can basically choose both and both would be correct. I myself think that it is tedious to put 'kraj' everywhere.

Re: Slovakia [19.01.12] - V4 - P1&4

Postby J_Indr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Ah, DiM you were faster.

Could you bring up the bordes a little bit, please? You can't see them without deliberately focusing on the map now. (Not nice if you really want to play fast.

Re: Slovakia [19.01.12] - V4 - P1&4

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm

inner borders or outer borders?
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box