Conquer Club

*[Abandoned] Feudal England and Wales

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Midieval Britain

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:14 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Lets see where TBK takes this. Medieval, Norman, prehistoric, modern, alien landings, who knows, it may even have Saxons or Romans in it at the end. As long as it has bitching gameplay, I am happy. Leave all of the history to history buffs,
game sites should make games that are fun. ;)

then this sounds as the best idea:

Neato Missile wrote:Change the name to Indeterminate Era Britain, then turn one of the castles into a dinosaur and another one into a spaceship.

*inditierminate

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby The Bison King on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:37 am

Leave all of the history to history buffs,
game sites should make games that are fun.

QTF

koontz1973 wrote:TBK, I understand your feelings, believe me I do, but it might be wise to see if you can fit it all in the small map first then go large. Draw it without the graphics, make it as small as possible then we can see where to go from there. Add the 88s and names. It does not need to be identical as the large, just the same game play.

Well we'll see what I can do. I'm out of town this weekend so I won't have a chance to try until sometime next week.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 am

We can take bad or stupid decisions, we can make stupid policies, but the FACT is that in the map you have posted there are TONS of wasted space.

quick examples: (60% of space is useless sea, too big title)

The supersize policy are going to change and we're not asking to you all to not go over 630x600 but to use every single pixel more than that size with your brain.
It's passed some time but, TBK, you fall again in the same old point: HERE, we don't make maps for art. Your graphics, your gameplay, your idea MUST be utterly servient to the context in which you're trying to develop your map. If you want to make maps for art you have to go to other site, like cartographer guild (btw an excellent site).

Now, If it was for me I would say to those, who have a stupid monitor with a 1024x768 px resolution, to **** themselves; but it's not my site and unfortunately we have to find a compromise specially because there's people here that can tell me what I have to do.

However if you think, there's no point in develop a big map that people don't want to play because it doesn't fit their monitors and the users nowdays are too tired to scroll a page. I know , stupid reasons, but this doesn't mean you have to develop a map that only few will play and that a large part of this site will find unfriendly.
In addition the site says that you need a resolution of 1024x768 to play, one of my role is to ensure that (except for very rare and special cases) this is true.

So, I understand your anger, I share some of your thoughts about the new decision to not allow supersize maps all days and with less stricted criterias, but you have to admit that your map has lot of wasted space.

And btw, we listen and compromises are made exactly because we listen, if it wasn't in this way I wouldn't have said to koontz to tell you to try with the "smaller" small version you can develope, but I would say just "no, the size is 630x600".
Fit the 888 on castles, cut the territories size/number if necessary, but make it as small as you can, then we will see.

You're aiming your gun against the wrong man...then the fact you are angry...I can understand...but you can't imagine how I feel when I have to take decisions that make you guys agry, frustrated or disappointed. Just I have to take decisions.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby darkmagus on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:51 am

It should be possible to mix a Norman map around 1100 with some Plantagenet/Angevin into a map with similar gameplay to what youĀ“ve got.

I doubt youĀ“d get comments about spaceships and dinosaurs if you stick to something like 1100-1300, which usually is considered the "proper" medieval times in northern europe.. (the earlier anglo-saxon times and viking age are often considered quite a separate era from the high medieval times that followed)

hope it is doable while not upsetting history nazis too much.. although youĀ“d have to change some names and borders.
(one example is morpeth - I believe it was a town on the east coast, not where it is in your map draft)

good luck
Private darkmagus

Postby natty dread on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:56 pm

It's pretty easy to squeeze out some size from this map.

A quick example:

Cropping and resizing the overly large legend & title will get the image down to 767 x 920. It's still a bit over standard limits - small image would be 690 heightwise.

However, if you were to rotate the image a bit, you could get it very neatly to much smaller size.

This will get the image down to 806 x 855. That's 605 x 640, only 40 pixels over the standard small map - or only 10 pixels if you further rotate it 90 degrees... and that 10 pixels can probably be shaved off somewhere pretty easily.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Pirlo on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:55 pm

This map looks fun!
Captain Pirlo

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:33 pm

TBK, anything on the horizon with this one?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby The Bison King on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:41 am

koontz1973 wrote:TBK, anything on the horizon with this one?

Yeah I'm going with a new approach,

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Oneyed on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:18 am

can not see picture :-k

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:55 am

Oneyed wrote:can not see picture :-k

Oneyed

Yes you can.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby x-raider on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:53 am

Oh... I see... Yet I don't...
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby Oneyed on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:57 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Oneyed wrote:can not see picture :-k

Oneyed

Yes you can.

no I can not, koontz... :-k

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Oneyed on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:12 am

koontz, it is great that you know what I see and I do not... =D>

this I see...

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby The Bison King on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:37 am

Yes Oneeye he knows look at one of Koontz's maps.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Oneyed on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 am

The Bison King wrote:Yes Oneeye he knows look at one of Koontz's maps.

?

Oneyed

btw, I also can nto see his last picture posted in Magyarorszag map...
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby kultrva on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:47 am

Bison King,

I just took the time to read through this thread, and though I can't see the most recent version of the map, what I have seen looks very nice. I am not a big history buff myself, and for that reason I agree that the greatest merit in a map does not lie in its pinpoint historical accuracy but in its gameplay.

If I wanted an accurate look at medieval Britain I'd crack open an atlas and a history book... However, this is a gaming site and for that reason I will support any map that is fun to play. Yes, historical accuracy is a plus, but this map is being waaaaaay too over-analyzed. Who gives a crap if the castles were made of wood or stone?

That said, I would like to see this map stay as simple as possible as far as bonuses are concerned. Like you, I really don't like to play maps that are loaded with bombardments, crazy bonuses, reverting to neutral, or anything of that nature. I think what you have here as far as bonuses are concerned is fine.

So I'll wrap this up by saying that I fully support you in this endeavor and I'd love to play on this map somewhere down the road. Don't give up on this.

-kultrva
Corporal 1st Class kultrva

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:23 am

[Moved]

Moved to melting pot as no update has been made for over a month. Easily moved back when one has been made.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby The Bison King on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 am

Ok. I quite working on this map a while back because of various frustrations with the foundry. Chiefly, the repeal of Super sized maps. However it would appear that the ban on super sized maps has been lifted. This gives me some hope. I'd like to continue working on this map, but we'll see how things go.

So any way, this is an updated version. I removed a few territories, and made the font larger.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:23 am

TBK, your current size is 780/650 which is the current size for the small map. You need to PM isaiah for SS permission. But from looking at it, you have not taken into account of this.
  • Every single pixel used more than the standard limits must be used wisely, if not the CAs will ask to you to reduce the size.
The left hand side with the title and instructions could easily be shrunk and have the map at 625/650.

But leave it for now and see what you need to add on in the way of instructions. When you have that sorted, get the map as small as possible. Not what you think it should be.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby kmhebert on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:46 pm

koontz1973 wrote:TBK, your current size is 780/650 which is the current size for the small map. You need to PM isaiah for SS permission. But from looking at it, you have not taken into account of this.
  • Every single pixel used more than the standard limits must be used wisely, if not the CAs will ask to you to reduce the size.
The left hand side with the title and instructions could easily be shrunk and have the map at 625/650.

But leave it for now and see what you need to add on in the way of instructions. When you have that sorted, get the map as small as possible. Not what you think it should be.

Agree, this is not a supersized map. Would like more fanciful artwork as well.
Sergeant kmhebert

Postby Pirlo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Hey where's Scotland? I get offended when I don't see Scotland included in the British Isles!
Captain Pirlo

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm

Pirlo wrote:Hey where's Scotland? I get offended when I don't see Scotland included in the British Isles!

Its called Feudal England. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby The Bison King on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:42 am

TBK, your current size is 780/650 which is the current size for the small map. You need to PM isaiah for SS permission. But from looking at it, you have not taken into account of this.

* Every single pixel used more than the standard limits must be used wisely, if not the CAs will ask to you to reduce the size.

I agree there is a lot of excess space on the left side. I'm sure some can be cut out. As for instructions I don't see there being many more than this. The only idea's I have would be either adding towns (they would add up to a collective bonus +1 for however many "duh") or adding affiliations to the castles themselves. Sort of like what was done on the Baltic Crusade map. Have the castles add up if you match the coat of arms or whatever.

Thoughts.

Hey where's Scotland? I get offended when I don't see Scotland included in the British Isles!

Yeah well I've got that covered. Celtic Nations See, I've already done a map that has Scotland and no England so I think that makes it fair.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:02 am

I like the coat of arms idea but not sure how you would fit it onto the map. Towns, not keen on the idea but I do not see why not.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby RjBeals on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Here's some work WidowMakers did for a steam punk style British Isles map. The cool part is he used breakout focus maps for cities. It makes use of dead space and makes the map unique & interesting. Something you could maybe work into this map with a medieval style instead.

(This map is hosted at a competitor site which can't be spelled out here)

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box