Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - België: Battle of Languages

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: UPDATE 03

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:49 pm

MarVal wrote:- I shall write more about strategy later this week.

Personally I think you should focus on getting the gameplay/strategy side of things worked out before making a multitude of graphical adjustments ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: België: Battle of Languages [UPDATE 03]

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:55 pm

wait are thos red/ multi colored places (like brussels) actuall territories
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Answer

Postby MarVal on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:58 pm

MrBenn wrote:Personally I think you should focus on getting the gameplay/strategy side of things worked out before making a multitude of graphical adjustments ;-)

A little bit true, MrBenn :)

But with the basic graphics (on the latest update), you have a visual view when I explain later this week the strategy :P

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:wait are thos red/ multi colored places (like brussels) actuall territories

If you read the Legend below the map, you see that its the % of languages spoken in Bruxelles/Brussel.

Grtz
MarVal
Image highest score: 2157 (Major) / Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Postby Riazor on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:14 am

You missed army circles on:
Comines-Warneton
Dutch treaty

Maybe i missed it, but how can you attack the treaties?

What are territorial jurisdictions? Just the territories?

"All territorial jurisdictions connecting with the River can attack each other." Im not sure i understand... can you rephrase that?

Do cities connect to every territory they border, or just the main territory they are in? Likewise, can eg. Antwerp (territory) attack Sint-Niklaas or does it have to go through Antwerp (city) first?

Abbreviations... ar eyou sure you cant fit more letters in? If not, id suggest abbreviating:
SN or St-Nikl: Sint-Niklaas
Dmd: Dendermonde
Diksm: Diksmuide (?)
Roes: Roeselare (?)

Are the Ostkantone part of the provinces they are in, or are they a seperate bonus. If the latter is true, its not really correct, but it might be too confusing otherwise...

In the legend for Bruxelles, the last one should read: French and non-Dutch, imo.

The big yellow border isnt in the impassable legend yet.

Well that are my comments for now, perhaps i'll see where the passages over the borders may be best. Is highways an idea, or will it be too cluttered then? (cities on a highway could attack adjacent cities on the same highway?)
Lieutenant Riazor

Postby sherkaner on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 pm

I think it's a bit complicated already, highways wouldn't work.

I guess jurisdictions just means cities and countries, so territories/regions.
And I guess the treaties will be something like bordering all (flemish for dutch treaty, French for french treaty) jurisdictions on the border, with a small autodeploy and a larger neutral force at the start.

Speaking from a game perspective: Luxembourg and Oost vlaanderen would be the dead weight territories atm, not much action there (relative to the other countries). And Nivelles a 1-territory bonus? That would make 3/4 good positions, treaties, Nivelles and maybe the german part (depending on the bonus). Could be very nice. Goals never really adds alot to the map, if you get one you are strong enough to finish everyone anyway.
Colonel sherkaner

Answers

Postby MarVal on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Riazor wrote:You missed army circles on:
Comines-Warneton
Dutch treaty
Thanks, I forgot to click on for the view of the layers. I shall click them back on view.

Maybe i missed it, but how can you attack the treaties?
- 1-way attack from the City Antwerpen to the French Treaty
- 1-way attack from the City Namur to the French Treaty
- 1-way attack from the City Eupen to the German Treaty (on the new update)

What are territorial jurisdictions? Just the territories?
Just like sherkaner wrote. In the language of you and me so called, Arrondissementen.
sherkaner wrote:I guess jurisdictions just means cities and countries, so territories/regions.

"All territorial jurisdictions connecting with the River can attack each other." Im not sure i understand... can you rephrase that?
- Jurisdictions adjacent to the river can attack each other.

Do cities connect to every territory they border, or just the main territory they are in? Likewise, can eg. Antwerp (territory) attack Sint-Niklaas or does it have to go through Antwerp (city) first?
- Jurisdictions adjacent to the Cities can attack each other.
- The Cities can attack each other.

Abbreviations... ar eyou sure you cant fit more letters in? If not, id suggest abbreviating:
SN or St-Nikl: Sint-Niklaas
Dmd: Dendermonde
Diksm: Diksmuide (?)
Roes: Roeselare (?)
At this moment longer abbreviations won't fit on the smaller map.

Are the Ostkantone part of the provinces they are in, or are they a seperate bonus. If the latter is true, its not really correct, but it might be too confusing otherwise...
- Holding the Community Deutschsprachige Gemeinschaft Belgiens for extra bonus. So at this moment Ostkantone will have a bonus. But I'm figuring out how to deal with it.

In the legend for Bruxelles, the last one should read: French and non-Dutch, imo.
Its not true, what you said. On your words then it says the same as the red %: French language (they speak French and no Dutch). But with French & other language then Dutch says that the folks speaking French and another foreign language (but not Dutch).

The big yellow border isnt in the impassable legend yet.
Thats correct.

Well that are my comments for now, perhaps i'll see where the passages over the borders may be best. Is highways an idea, or will it be too cluttered then? (cities on a highway could attack adjacent cities on the same highway?)
Highways is to crowd on the map IMO.

Thanks for all your comments =D>

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Answers

Postby MarVal on Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:46 pm

sherkaner wrote:I think it's a bit complicated already, highways wouldn't work.

I guess jurisdictions just means cities and countries, so territories/regions.
And I guess the treaties will be something like bordering all (flemish for dutch treaty, French for french treaty) jurisdictions on the border, with a small autodeploy and a larger neutral force at the start.
Thats correct in sort of the way. But the Gameplay will be added this evening.

Speaking from a game perspective: Luxembourg and Oost vlaanderen would be the dead weight territories atm, not much action there (relative to the other countries).
Correct, must be changed but have no clue at this moment.

And Nivelles a 1-territory bonus? That would make 3/4 good positions, treaties, Nivelles and maybe the german part (depending on the bonus). Could be very nice.
I shall considering that.

Goals never really adds alot to the map, if you get one you are strong enough to finish everyone anyway.
I don't know if its true. Maybe you got experience on those strategy maps? Maybe other members can't give, just like you also advice about strategies.

Thanks for looking on the map and give some comments, sherkaner =D>

Grtz
MarVal
Last edited by MarVal on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Postby captainwalrus on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:06 pm

there are several regions that cannot be attacked in or out of.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Answers

Postby MarVal on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:19 pm

captainwalrus wrote:there are several regions that cannot be attacked in or out of.

Thats correct. In the gameplay & strategy text in the new update you shall see the purpose of it.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Re: Answers

Postby herschal on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:03 pm

MarVal wrote:
captainwalrus wrote:there are several regions that cannot be attacked in or out of.

Thats correct. In the gameplay & strategy text in the new update you shall see the purpose of it.

Grtz
MarVal

Are there going to be bonuses? You have yet to answer that. If there are bonuses then there will be a HUGE advantage to holding one of the bonuses that can't be attacked since once you get it you can't loose it. Also this allows for the possiblility for a stalemate if say person 1 is winning by a lot and has person 2 and 3 stuck in one of the non attackable reagions. person 2 and 3 loose since they nolonger have the ability to get the objective. BUT person 1 still has to get the objective. but then person 1's computer breaks and they can't take their turns so eventually they deadbeat. WHo wins?
In addition, there is a massive advantage to the people who start in the region that brussels is in because they are the only one who can accomplish the "hold brussels" objective. also on that note, the "hold brussels" objective is rediculusly easy because it is in one of the regions that can't be attacked
Private herschal

Postby tauno on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:35 am

Sorry if I get this completely wrong, I must admit that the map has confused me quite a bit, but I mainly just wanted to show my interest in a strategic Begië map.

Brussels consists out of 5 territory's? And can those territory's each attack Halle-Vilvoorde or can they attack/ be attacked from Leuven?
I don't think that's verry clear to confusable people like me...

Congratulations on the map, it's looking fantastic.

Greetings,

a new Flemish fan :)
Major tauno

Answers

Postby MarVal on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:18 pm

herschal wrote:Are there going to be bonuses? You have yet to answer that. If there are bonuses then there will be a HUGE advantage to holding one of the bonuses that can't be attacked since once you get it you can't loose it. Also this allows for the possiblility for a stalemate if say person 1 is winning by a lot and has person 2 and 3 stuck in one of the non attackable reagions. person 2 and 3 loose since they nolonger have the ability to get the objective. BUT person 1 still has to get the objective. but then person 1's computer breaks and they can't take their turns so eventually they deadbeat. WHo wins?
In addition, there is a massive advantage to the people who start in the region that brussels is in because they are the only one who can accomplish the "hold brussels" objective. also on that note, the "hold brussels" objective is rediculusly easy because it is in one of the regions that can't be attacked
Hello herschal,

In the new update (later this evening) with all the info about Gameplay & Strategy I hope I have answered a lot of questions. If you have still questions, feel free to add them here.

tauno wrote:Sorry if I get this completely wrong, I must admit that the map has confused me quite a bit, but I mainly just wanted to show my interest in a strategic Begië map.

Brussels consists out of 5 territory's? And can those territory's each attack Halle-Vilvoorde or can they attack/ be attacked from Leuven?
I don't think that's verry clear to confusable people like me...

Congratulations on the map, it's looking fantastic.

Greetings,

a new Flemish fan :)
Hello Flemish fan tauno,

Confused I understand it completely, but in the new update (later this evening) with all the info about Gameplay & Strategy I hope I have answered a lot of questions. If you have still questions, feel free to add them here. And thanks for the compliment
Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

UPDATE 04

Postby MarVal on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:21 pm

UPDATE 04

Larger map (800x840)
Click image to enlarge.

• Added the Strategy & Gameplay.
  • Added the Jurisdiction Capitals
  • Added new rivers and changed the old ones.
  • Reorganized the Legend in the left corner below.
  • Changing the name and image of the community City Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B)
  • Added more Abbreviations
  • Added the German Treaty
  • Added attack dots Tongeren - Voeren
  • Added attack dots Comines-Warneton - Mouscron

Strategy & Gameplay

Map info

• 10 Provinces
  • 45 Jurisdictions
  • 10 Province Capitals
  • 1 Community
  • 1 Community City
  • 3 Treaties

Victory gains by

1. Balancing the languages by conquering and holding:
    • the community City Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B)
    • all Province Capitals
    • the community City Eupen (E)
    • the Dutch, French & German Treaty
  2. Conquering and holding 1 of the 2 largest language communities:
    • Vlaamse Gemeenschap
    • Communauté française de Belgique

At the beginning of a game

• Neutral with X armies
    • The community City Eupen (E)
    • The community City Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B)
    • The Province Capitals Antwerpen (An) & Namur (N)
    • The Dutch, French & German Treaty
  • Player
    • Starting with 1 randomly chosen Jurisdiction
    • Each player starts in another Province

Bonuses

• Holding a Province & his Province Capital
    • Oost-Vlaanderen & city Brugge (B)
    • West-Vlaanderen & city Gent (G)
    • Antwerpen & city Antwerpen (An)
    • Vlaams-Brabant & city Leuven (Le)
    • Limburg & city Hasselt (H)
    • Hainaut & city Mons (M)
    • Brabant Wallon & city Wavre (W)
    • Namur & city Namur (N)
    • Liège & city Liège (L)
    • Luxembourg city Arlon (A)
  • Holding the community City Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B)
  • Holding the community Ostkantone

Autodeply

• When holding the Dutch Treaty with X armies
  • When holding the French Treaty with X armies
  • When holding the German Treaty with X armies

Attack Routes

• 2-ways Attack
    • Jurisdictions
    • Jurisdictions - the Cities
    • Jurisdictions - Cities adjacent to the river
    • Jurisdictions adjacent to the river
    • Cities adjacent to the river
    • Jurisdiction Capitals
    • Jurisdictions - % Languages of the community Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B)
    • % Languages of the community Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B)
  • 1-way Attack
    • from the city Antwerpen (An) to the French Treaty
    • from the city Namur (N) to the French Treaty
    • from the city Eupen (E) to the German Treaty
  • 1-way bombardment
    • from center of the languages of the community Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B) to the Province Capital Antwerpen (An)
    • from center of the languages of the community Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B) to the Province Capital Namur (N)
    • from center of the languages of the community Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B) to the Province Capital Eupen (E)
  • 2-ways bombardment
    • center of the languages of the community Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B) - Jurisdiction Capitals

impassable borders

• Yellow border
  • Province borders

All feedback,suggestions and critisism are welcome.
So let us know what U think about the map Belgium so far.

Grtz
MarVal
Last edited by MarVal on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Re: België: Battle of Languages [UPDATE 04]

Postby herschal on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:52 pm

Well here's what I think. You started out with a very poorly concieved idea but because your a mod no one minded that it was in the wrong sub-fourum or that it had no clear plan. You realy just wanted a more accurate Belgium map but instead of posting on Captainwalrus's and trying to help him make his more accurate you wanted to hop on the idea so you just witheald your knowledge. Then you continued to not help with the better of the two maps while yours was still horribly unplayable and didn't even look close enough at his to recognize that his became much more accurate.
Now, on to this version.
    1 How are the starting places going to be picked. It cannot be randomly if each person only starts with one.
    2 How do you have an auto deploy with mulitpal territs. Is it autodeployed on all terits?
    3 Could you better explain the attacking routes?
    4 I don't know much about belgium but I didn't know they were known for their rivers. If there is nothing special about rivers in belgium then I think you shoud remove that because you whould then be forcing a gameplay element into a ragion were it doesn't belong.
    5 You are going to need to loose that information in the corner that doesn't relate to the map. You will need the space to explain everything.
    6 You have to keep in mind that you are not making a map for an atlis, you are making one for a game and therefor you need to sacrifice acuracy for gameplay at times. I think you need to remove some smaller non essential territories.
Private herschal

Postby MarVal on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:27 pm

herschal wrote:Well here's what I think. You started out with a very poorly concieved idea but because your a mod no one minded that it was in the wrong sub-fourum or that it had no clear plan.
First of all, you can't judge and accused someone on things with only your thinking.
I do not mind if you have your opinions and wanna let it know in here. But you can't thinking on the minds of others with your accusing .... why this, why that.... context.
And mod or no mod, thats not the issue here. If you think the map isn't right in your opinion. Thats fine, but again no accusing me or others with only thinking......

You realy just wanted a more accurate Belgium map but instead of posting on Captainwalrus's and trying to help him make his more accurate you wanted to hop on the idea so you just witheald your knowledge.
I didn't know in the first place that he's making one. So again stop judging me with only your thinking and not knowing why I made this map.....

Then you continued to not help with the better of the two maps while yours was still horribly unplayable and didn't even look close enough at his to recognize that his became much more accurate.
I do not agree about that. I see you don't know the country as I do. Cause then you know he made a few mistakes about the names, countries and so on.

Now, on to this version.
    1 How are the starting places going to be picked. It cannot be randomly if each person only starts with one.
    Why not? See the Poker Club map. And if it can't be, then there must be 2 instead of 1. Thats why this thread is in this forum. For suggestions, opinions and ideas on the gameplay, strategy and image of the map

2 How do you have an auto deploy with mulitpal territs. Is it autodeployed on all terits?
    Auto-deploy has no terits. Its only deploying on Treaties, if you read the Auto-deploy information

Which one must have better explanation?

4 I don't know much about belgium but I didn't know they were known for their rivers. If there is nothing special about rivers in belgium then I think you shoud remove that because you whould then be forcing a gameplay element into a ragion were it doesn't belong.
    I do not agree. There's also no Treaty with France, Germany and Netherlands.
    Its not forcing, its creating more strategy. Just like all the maps on CC. I.E:
    In real life in the existing country maps on CC you can climb mountains & sailing on rivers and also take a walk on the Chinese wall as well. But in the maps on CC not?!
    And on all the real islands you can go onshore every were. But on CC maps not?!

So I do not know, why you wanna criticize this map without positive suggestions, opininos and ideas for helping/developing this map?
    Are you anger with me on those things you said in the first lines of your post? (see this is an question, instead of accusing you already with my thinking that you only criticize and so on)

5 You are going to need to loose that information in the corner that doesn't relate to the map. You will need the space to explain everything.
    And which information must be loose in your opinion?

6 You have to keep in mind that you are not making a map for an atlis, you are making one for a game and therefor you need to sacrifice acuracy for gameplay at times.
    And thats why I wanna creating a strategy map of Belgium with the languages and not just another map of a country.

I think you need to remove some smaller non essential territories.
    Such as?

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Postby herschal on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:08 pm

MarVal wrote:
herschal wrote:Well here's what I think. You started out with a very poorly concieved idea but because your a mod no one minded that it was in the wrong sub-fourum or that it had no clear plan.
First of all, you can't judge and accused someone on things with only your thinking.
I do not mind if you have your opinions and wanna let it know in here. But you can't thinking on the minds of others with your accusing .... why this, why that.... context.
And mod or no mod, thats not the issue here. If you think the map isn't right in your opinion. Thats fine, but again no accusing me or others with only thinking......

You realy just wanted a more accurate Belgium map but instead of posting on Captainwalrus's and trying to help him make his more accurate you wanted to hop on the idea so you just witheald your knowledge.
I didn't know in the first place that he's making one. So again stop judging me with only your thinking and not knowing why I made this map.....

Then you continued to not help with the better of the two maps while yours was still horribly unplayable and didn't even look close enough at his to recognize that his became much more accurate.
I do not agree about that. I see you don't know the country as I do. Cause then you know he made a few mistakes about the names, countries and so on.
My piont is that if you had told him these few mestakes you mention then his map would be much better, instead we now have 2 OK maps being worked on, not 1 very good one. IMO you should spend some time to piont out the mistakes on his map even if you are still working on yours.

Now, on to this version.
    Why not? See the Poker Club map. And if it can't be, then there must be 2 instead of 1. Thats why this thread is in this forum. For suggestions, opinions and ideas on the gameplay, strategy and image of the map
    Well if they only start with one terit. and person 1 starts right next to person 2, then whoever goes first has a golden oppertunity to eliminate an oppoenent right at the very begining.

Auto-deploy has no terits. Its only deploying on Treaties, if you read the Auto-deploy information
    I guess once I re-read it it made more scence.

Most of it realy. Like one of them just says "Jurisdiction capitals" I thought the jurisdictions wrer just normal teritories, what are their capitals?

In real life in the existing country maps on CC you can climb mountains & sailing on rivers and also take a walk on the Chinese wall as well. But in the maps on CC not?!

Not at all. Impassibles are there because it is harder for armies to pass over mountains and cross rivers. And you can't just land a ship anywhere, since you need to be able to get close enough without hitting rocks or reefs. This is why i'm not a fan of your impassibles, they are just made for the sake of it. In actuality it is no harder to pass from charlroi to nevelles than it is to pass from charlroi to thuin. Also it is inconssitant. Can brussels attack the territories it boarders or not, since it is in its own provence.

So I do not know, why you wanna criticize this map without positive suggestions, opininos and ideas for helping/developing this map?
    Are you anger with me on those things you said in the first lines of your post? (see this is an question, instead of accusing you already with my thinking that you only criticize and so on)[/color][/b]

I don't think there is any you need to loose just to get rid of but you can't expect everyone to visit the fourum just to know what attacks what and what the bonuses are. That is going to need to go somewhere on the map

6 You have to keep in mind that you are not making a map for an atlis, you are making one for a game and therefor you need to sacrifice acuracy for gameplay at times.
    And thats why I wanna creating a strategy map of Belgium with the languages and not just another map of a country.

I think you need to remove some smaller non essential territories.
    Such as?
    Mouscron. and mabey others, I'd have to see it with armies.

Grtz
MarVal
Private herschal

Answers

Postby MarVal on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 am

herschal wrote:
    Well if they only start with one terit. and person 1 starts right next to person 2, then whoever goes first has a golden oppertunity to eliminate an oppoenent right at the very begining.
    • Player
      • Each player starts in another Jurisdiction
    You're right, made a mistake. It had to be Province instead of Jurisdiction.
    I changed it into:
    • Player

herschal wrote:3 Could you better explain the attacking routes?
Most of it realy. Like one of them just says "Jurisdiction capitals" I thought the jurisdictions wrer just normal teritories, what are their capitals?
Yes, you're right. Jurisdictions are normal territories and a the capital should be the Capital of the Province. I changed it.

herschal wrote:4 I don't know much about belgium but I didn't know they were known for their rivers. If there is nothing special about rivers in belgium then I think you shoud remove that because you whould then be forcing a gameplay element into a ragion were it doesn't belong.

Not at all. Impassibles are there because it is harder for armies to pass over mountains and cross rivers. And you can't just land a ship anywhere, since you need to be able to get close enough without hitting rocks or reefs. This is why i'm not a fan of your impassibles, they are just made for the sake of it. In actuality it is no harder to pass from charlroi to nevelles than it is to pass from charlroi to thuin. Also it is inconssitant. Can brussels attack the territories it boarders or not, since it is in its own provence.
On this map Bruxelles/Brussel is a language community (see the legend & the attack explanation)

herschal wrote:5 You are going to need to loose that information in the corner that doesn't relate to the map. You will need the space to explain everything.
I don't think there is any you need to loose just to get rid of but you can't expect everyone to visit the fourum just to know what attacks what and what the bonuses are. That is going to need to go somewhere on the map
The bonuses and the attacks will be on the map, but this place (sub-forum) is were we can discuss about the attacks and bonuses. And with the suggestions, ideas and so on from you all, we can change or add some better things on it, IMO.

herschal wrote:I think you need to remove some smaller non essential territories.[/b]
Such as?
Mouscron. and mabey others, I'd have to see it with armies.
IMO, you can't let them go at this point. Then you will remove a area thats important to Belgium, especially about language issues.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Postby Astro Phantom on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:32 am

a little detail....
Bonuses
Holding a Province & his Province Capital
Oost-Vlaanderen & city Brugge (B)
West-Vlaanderen & city Gent (G)

it should be : Oost-Vlaanderen & city Gent (G)
West-Vlaanderen & city Brugge (B)
on the map it's ok
Corporal Astro Phantom

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:39 pm

First things first, let's keep the bickering out of here please ;-)

As far as the map goes, I still think it feels a bit clumsy, and I'm not fully convinced I understand how the bonuses/language division is supposed to work...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Answer

Postby MarVal on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:41 pm

MrBenn wrote:As far as the map goes, I still think it feels a bit clumsy, and I'm not fully convinced I understand how the bonuses/language division is supposed to work...

I understand, I hope I can visualize it in the new update.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

UPDATE 05

Postby MarVal on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:54 am

UPDATE 05

Larger map (800x840)
Click image to enlarge.

• Changing the Strategy & Gameplay.
  • Changed the rivers.
  • Added the Impassible Border explanation
  • Added the Bombardment explanation
  • Added the Reinforcement explanation
  • Added the bonuses armies for the Provinces
  • Added the bonus armies for the Community Ostkantone
  • Deleted dots Tongeren - Voeren
  • Deleted dots Comines-Warneton - Mouscron

Strategy & Gameplay

Map info

• 10 Provinces
  • 45 Jurisdictions
  • 10 Province Capitals
  • 2 Communities
  • 3 Treaties

Victory gains by

1. Balancing the Languages by conquering and holding:
    • the community Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B)
    • the Capitals (An, E & N)
    • all the Treaties (Dutch, French & German)

At the beginning of a game

• Neutral with X armies
    • The community Capital Eupen (E)
    • The community Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B)
    • The Capitals Antwerpen (An) & Namur (N)
    • The Dutch, French & German Treaty
  • Player

Bonuses

• Holding a Province & his Province Capital
    • Oost-Vlaanderen & city Brugge (B) = 2
    • West-Vlaanderen & city Gent (G) = 4
    • Antwerpen & city Antwerpen (An) = 3
    • Vlaams-Brabant & city Leuven (Le) = 2
    • Limburg & city Hasselt (H) = 2
    • Hainaut & city Mons (M) = 5
    • Brabant Wallon & city Wavre (W) = 1
    • Namur & city Namur (N) = 2
    • Liège & city Liège (L) = 2
    • Luxembourg & city Arlon (A) = 2
  • Holding the community Bruxelles / Brussel (B/B) = 0
  • Holding the community Ostkantone = 1

Autodeply

• When holding the Dutch Treaty with X armies
  • When holding the French Treaty with X armies
  • When holding the German Treaty with X armies

Attack Routes

• 2-ways Attack
    • Jurisdictions connecting to each other
    • Jurisdictions connecting to the river
  • 1-way Attack
    • from the city Antwerpen (An) to the French Treaty
    • from the city Namur (N) to the French Treaty
    • from the city Eupen (E) to the German Treaty
  • 2-ways bombardment
    • Between the Capitals

impassable borders

• Yellow border
  • Province borders

All feedback,suggestions and critisism are welcome.
So let us know what U think about the map Belgium so far.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Re: België: Battle of Languages [UPDATE 05]

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:07 pm

The bonus regions are slightly clearer, although the combination of red and black borders gives a sort of optical illusion effect... It would be nice if the regions were easier to differentiate.

The other thing that I noticed at a quick glance, was the dark red areas (marked with letters)... what exactly are they? I noticed they bombard each other, but is there anything else important about them? It would help if they were more clearly defined...

As far as the instructions go, they seem to be spread out around the map. I would prefer it if the important bits (bonus values and attack instructions) were kept together and made fairly prominent. The other information is less important from a gameplay perspective (I think?)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oaktown on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:49 pm

Hey MarVal. Stick with me through this because I am going somwhere...

When I came across a thread called "the battle of languages" I thought to myself, 'This might be a really bad idea.' Then when I opened up the map and saw a map of Belgium split up into language communities with a shit load of small text around the map explaining all the geeky crap that's going on, I thought to myself 'Not only is this is a bad idea, it seems utterly unplayable and I don't care enough about the language history of Belgium to figure it out.'

Then I started reading your history of the languages and Belgium and I found it interesting, but it left me wondering when and where this battle took place that you speak of. Did the people of these differing language background actually duke it out for control of the country, as CC users will be doing on this map, or did the linguistic history of the country just evolve peacefully over time? If the former is true, you will need to somehow convey that in this map. If the latter is true, I'm not sure what you're going to do. Because right now you've got a map based on a very complex cultural history, but the only people who are going to understand what's going on are those that have read the entire first post of this thread.

This is the third map I've looked at this afternoon that seems to have more rules than map. When you scale this map down to 75% - as you''ll be doing for the small map - all of those rules become unreadable. And despite all of that text, the basic story behind this map is not conveyed by the map itself. I'd say you need to take a step back, think about what the most important element of a linguistic map of belgium, and start stripping away the many unnecessary layers.
Captain oaktown

Answer

Postby MarVal on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Thank you both for all the information.
I shall skip things out of the map and make it more clearly for everybody (and not just for myself) :lol:

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

Postby MrBenn on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:45 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the CAs will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)

Mr B
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box