Conquer Club

Good Morning Woodboro (V7.X) -- Home for the Holidays

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Good Morning Woodboro (V7) -- Gameplay suggestions welcome

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:45 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:Awesome, I think this neutral count works. One suggestion with the new legend: "+1 every turn to deploy per pair" sounds kinda like every house has a specific pair you have to hold. Maybe something like "+1 for every two listeners"?? :-k I don't think you need to say "to deploy" since this is usually the default unless it specifically says otherwise.
-carlpgoodrich

natty_dread wrote:Also you should add to the legend "no regular territory bonus" if that's what you're going for.

Will do, and will do.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Coleman on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 am

You are a glutton for punishment. Cute maps move so slowly through the foundry.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Why is it that some of the normal houses are 2 neutrals and some are 3?

Also, I am still concerned about imbalance in play. Each of the four leftmost sponsors have three starting positions two territs away. The two rightmost sponsors only have two starting positions nearby. This means that there will be significantly more battles, especially early on, on the left side of the board. It is my opinion that the player starting in the Chat channel will have a significant advantage over players starting in the Ball pit, Polka and the grass lands, not to mention the pirate stations.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:26 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:Why is it that some of the normal houses are 2 neutrals and some are 3?

Those are my attempt to bring a bit more balance to the map and put a bit more distance between certain points. I suppose I did do my balancing more with 6 players in mind -- where the pirates start neutral -- than with 8. Do you have any recommended fixes?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:02 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
carlpgoodrich wrote:Why is it that some of the normal houses are 2 neutrals and some are 3?

Those are my attempt to bring a bit more balance to the map and put a bit more distance between certain points. I suppose I did do my balancing more with 6 players in mind -- where the pirates start neutral -- than with 8. Do you have any recommended fixes?

The only potential problem is when there are 7 or 8 players. Am I right is assuming that for any game with less than 7 players, the pirates are never starting positions? Anyways, after much thought, I think I have converted to the "Its a small map, so just don't play 8p games on it!" camp. The map is just way too good to mess around with too much at this point. If there was an easy fix, do it... but I can't think of one.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 pm

I second the above comment - for 6 players the map is balanced, and with starting territories which generally create much more balance than standard classic-style maps with 'drops'.

For 7 or 8 players the map is less balanced, but then again, playing with 7 or 8 players on a classic-style map (e.g. doodle) will give some playeres advantage of the drop etc. anyway.

As the above analysis suggests, tinkering probably wont improve the 7/8 player balance a great deal. If everyone is happy that first-turn kills are extremely unlikely then this map is probably ready to move on?

:D

P.S. Looking forward to playing this map (although gutted the DJs idea fell down).

P.P.S. Not that important, but it would be cool if the map was anytown's radio stations, like city mogul is any city - may just add to the appeal slightly for imaginitive players playing on their home town etc.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:26 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:The only potential problem is when there are 7 or 8 players. Am I right is assuming that for any game with less than 7 players, the pirates are never starting positions?

Correct.

Anyways, after much thought, I think I have converted to the "Its a small map, so just don't play 8p games on it!" camp. The map is just way too good to mess around with too much at this point. If there was an easy fix, do it... but I can't think of one.

I'm glad to hear that, and I agree (though given Doodle's track record I wouldn't be surprised to see 8p games of this all over the place).

DJ Teflon wrote:P.P.S. Not that important, but it would be cool if the map was anytown's radio stations, like city mogul is any city - may just add to the appeal slightly for imaginitive players playing on their home town etc.

"Good Morning Town" just doesn't have the same ring...
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:26 pm

I agree, keep the name.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MrBenn on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Good Morning Conquerville?

Anyways, this is well-deserved:
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:38 pm

MrBenn wrote:

Good Morning Conquerville?

Euch.

MrBenn wrote:Anyways, this is well-deserved:

W00T!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Congrats wit :)

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Some graphical points:

- you could try some kind of texture on the grass.
- the map size is weird. It is just barely larger than the maximum small size, so this must be the large version, yet there's not much room for shrinking the image. I know the minimum difference between large & small is 9%, but I think the large image should be at least 25% larger.
- I would also suggest trying a subtle drop shadow, to separate the playing area from the background.
- the names of the sponsors are a bit blurry. I think it's because of the colours, light blue on a pastel colour doesn't work very well. It'll probably be even worse when you shrink the image.

Well, that's all I can see for now. Once again congrats for your gp stamp! (and thanks for mine :D)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:58 pm

MrBenn wrote:Anyways, this is well-deserved:

Nice, very nice.

Well, I recently upgraded my OS and it looks like I'll need to re-download some fonts, but in the mean time, Inkscape gave me this to mull over:
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby carlpgoodrich on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Congrats! I agree, well deserved. As I know next to nothing about what looks good/art in general, I shall leave graphics comments to better people, but I wish you luck as I am really excited about this map. Actually, I do have one suggestion: since there are some regular houses that start as neutral 2 and some as neutral 3, maybe make the roofs a different color depending on whether it starts as 2 or 3. You don't need to explain this or anything, it will just be something people will notice after a few games that will be beneficial during foggy games.

-carlpgoodrich
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:27 pm

>> maybe make the roofs a different color depending on whether it starts as 2 or 3.

Not sure if that's such a good idea... unless the colour difference to the regular houses would be very slight. As the roof colour comes handy differentiating pirates & fanatics from normal houses, if there were any more roof colours this effect wouldn't be as effective.

A slightly different shade of red could work though.

Postby ender516 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:27 pm

What about different antennae? The current one for houses which start with 2, and a larger one with 3 crossbars for those that start with 3?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Let's try the lighter rooves:
Click image to enlarge.

The Heavy Heap font I downloaded for the territory names seems to be different from the one I had before. I don't like this one as much...
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:30 am

natty_dread wrote:A slightly different shade of red could work though.

Sounds great.

Edit: wow, the difference is so small I posted that without noticing that you already made the change. I agree that the subtly is a good thing. I like it.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:57 am

So how will you resolve the size issue? Your current image size is 646 x 598... If you shrink that 25% I fear the houses will be a bit too small for the army numbers...

I'd say, make the large image something like 750 pixels wide. Then you can make the small image 600px so it would be 20% smaller...

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:18 pm

ender516 wrote:What about different antennae? The current one for houses which start with 2, and a larger one with 3 crossbars for those that start with 3?

I tried some of those before; they didn't look too good, unfortunately.

natty_dread wrote:So how will you resolve the size issue? Your current image size is 646 x 598... If you shrink that 25% I fear the houses will be a bit too small for the army numbers...

I'd say, make the large image something like 750 pixels wide. Then you can make the small image 600px so it would be 20% smaller...

Oh, is it too large? I'll just squeeze the background down a few pixels...
Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Good Morning Woodboro (V7.2) -- Time to pretty up the town

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Ah, so this is the small image. Well all should be good then. As long as you make the large image at least 750 pixels wide...

Then, how about some texture for the grass? Currently it's looking a bit plain. Nothing heavy though.. too heavy and it will ruin the simple & clean style you have going. Something subtle, perhaps a slight grunge...

I like the gradient in the background btw. I'm not sure when did you put it there but good call anyway.

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Good luck making your town "pretty" it is New Jersey after all... ;)
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 pm

natty_dread wrote:Then, how about some texture for the grass? Currently it's looking a bit plain. Nothing heavy though.. too heavy and it will ruin the simple & clean style you have going. Something subtle, perhaps a slight grunge...

Grunged it up a bit. Then the grey parts looked weird so I grunged them up too:
Click image to enlarge.

RedBaron0 wrote:Good luck making your town "pretty" it is New Jersey after all... ;)

Should I grunge up the houses, too?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
RedBaron0 wrote:Good luck making your town "pretty" it is New Jersey after all... ;)

Should I grunge up the houses, too?

Only if you have permission from the local Teamsters. :lol: ;) Nah, the houses look fine.

I will suggest a couple of white lines in front of your sponsors, so it looks like parking spaces.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:16 pm

No grunge for the houses... but the grass looks nice. And so does the asphalt.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas