Conquer Club

Mongol Empire Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Qwert on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:38 am

KEYOGI wrote
qwert wrote:
Have strange here names touching circle a loot and you dont mine?

Shut up qwert. If you haven't noticed, myself and Guiscard have stopped posting in your thread. Leave your comparisons out of other people's threads and stay on topic.

Ok, i never more go in yours and Guiscard topic, these mean in future too.
Goodbue forever.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby bonobo`s son on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:47 pm

can you attack from lhasa to samarkand
Major bonobo`s son

Postby Guiscard on Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Ok I'm posting to address some issues:

Army shadows: Unless there's any more significant objection I'd prefer to leave them as they are. The consistency is the main thing, as they'd be touching in many cases anyway.

Trade Route: Yes you can attack from Lhasa to Samarkand. So far people have tended to think it was obvious enough without adding it to the legend (this is also my opinion). Do others think it is confusing? Would be a simple enough edit but I'd prefer to keep everything as simple as possible.

Mountains: Keyogi, I'll make the gap a bit wider in the next update. That's an easy enough edit.

Impassable Border (the Great Wall): I wasn't really happy with the old graphics (and neither were a few people) and I agree that the new ones do look like the trade route. It was meant more as a quick fix just to show playability. I'll try and come up with something new to represent the wall, but I am a bit stuck for ideas. Anyone got any???

P.S. On a final note, Qwert I have no objection to you posting suggestions, it's all constructive, I just decided to stay away from your thread because I was fed up of being attacked for trying to help. As long as its not petty and things are civil I'd be more than happy for you to keep posting.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:27 pm

Did I mention I would prefer Chaghadi having only 3 borders? Im warning you about how powerfull Jin will still be... and how difficult will Chaghadi still be with 3 borders. Just remember that once you maintain Chaghadi as it is. In the future I will say "I told you" :wink:

Plus, the horse in the legend background... His snout it being cut in the right side. If you move it a bit to left, would possibly be best.
Major Marvaddin

Postby ViscountGort on Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:47 pm

Marv you said originally "Werent Keraits and Khanbaliq supposed to be part of the new "Jin" area? That would be perfect!" They are now part of it, and the sea route is gone. I don't see what else can be done to stop jin being "too powerful"? I really think it should be left as it is.

Regarding the Great Wall, i'm not sure what graphics would look better but if you could come up with something 3D to go with the 3D mountain graphics that might work. Sorry that's not the most constructive advice! :)
Corporal 1st Class ViscountGort

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:06 pm

Yep, I like the continent scheme now. We just need adjust minor things like bonuses and borders :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:07 pm

I think Jin is fine as it is. It might prove easy for the person holding Jin to stop Great Khanate or Yuan Khanate being held, but that's the extent of it. I have no problems with the gameplay of the map. The Great Wall and the mountains are the only things I feel need addressing.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Guiscard on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:28 pm

I think current foundry opinion warrants leaving Chaghadi as it is to be honest. Only really Marv's objection.

Other than that I'd really appreciate any ideas for unpassables to represent the great wall... ????????
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm

You could try and do something creative, a 3D type look something along the lines of Hadrian's Wall in the British Isles map. I think that would work well and tie in well with the mountains.

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:53 pm

Regarding the wall, perhaps look for more of a solid line stone feel...perhaps you can add the 'crenellations' things, as you often see on the wall.

Regarding the rest of the map, there are some interesting events unfolding. People will go for Great K. and Jin because they will want to get a nice home base set up. Most likely, you will have people on the opposite side thinking in turns of greater numbers down the road, and they will be working on the Twins of the West. Chaghadi in it's current state seems like a battleground area. It may not be an easy continent to hold, but due to it's centrality (it being able to attack all but 1 continent) still makes it a lucrative thing to hold, especially if you can hold it early on, you might be able to keep the Twin's in check for a number of turns while you increase in men. It may be a difficult continent to hold, but it has excellent strategic value. Sure, someone may get Jin early on, but if they let the Twin's grow strong in the West, they will be out numbered.

Right now, I'm not sure I made any sense in that paragraph above, but I think some idea may have gotten through.

It is interesting to point out at least regarding the Twins, Ilk. might perhaps be of more strategic value, due to that quick access across the map into Yuan, and perhaps a quick strike into the heart of Jin...as if you were trying to do the same from Horde, you'd most likely have to go through much defense in Great K.

Again, not sure a lot of sense... but ah oh well!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:05 pm

I have to agree with all those points. I think there's a bit too much emphasis being placed on not making small continents too strong. Using the Classic map as an example, you quite often see someone take Oceania but not use it to their advantage, while in the meantime an opponent can take North America quite quickly given the right scenario.

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:38 pm

Guiscard wrote:I think current foundry opinion warrants leaving Chaghadi as it is to be honest. Only really Marv's objection.

I realized this... And I imagine you wont change. So, like I said... just remember my advice when you realize how useless Chaghadi will be :wink:

Other than that, no problems with this one :)
Major Marvaddin

Postby frodobaggins994 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:45 pm

i like it.

dunno why
"In the absense of any other proof, my thumb alone would convince me of GOD's existence." - Isaac Newton

Frodo
Private frodobaggins994

Postby Ninja-Town on Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:40 pm

Looks very fun... I can't wait to test drive this thing!
Corporal 1st Class Ninja-Town

Postby Guiscard on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Just to let everyone know I'm trying out different borders and also trying to get my head round centring co-ordinates. Will be an update soonish hopefully...

Postby Baron von Blitz on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:00 pm

A very interesting concept and a nicely done map.

It looks like a keeper :wink: :)

Looking forward to seeking mastery of the steppes.
Cadet Baron von Blitz

Postby Nikita_2006 on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:06 pm

I don't like the color of the oceans.

Make ik light blue, or wharever.

The countries are important not the see
Private Nikita_2006

Postby Guiscard on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:09 pm

Nikita_2006 wrote:I don't like the color of the oceans.

Make ik light blue, or wharever.

The countries are important not the see

Everyone else seems to love the colour, as do I. Its gonna stay unless a significant number of others have a severe objection.

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:46 pm

the color is good, i don't really like pictures in water but, some do ;)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:31 pm

Guiscard, I've seen you around the forums posting in other topics! ;)

--Andy

Postby Guiscard on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:35 pm

Its the bloody wall... I've been trying and trying and trying and I'm tearing out my hair!!!!!! (also, finding it hard to do a nice wall...)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:38 pm

Perhaps you could do a callout to the other cartographers and see if they can create a few examples of something they think would look nice. Perhaps it could spark an idea how something could look, or even use what they have created.

--Andy

Postby Guiscard on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:24 pm

ok then here goes:

HELP ME FELLOW CARTOGRAPHERS FOR I CANNOT PERCEIVE A SUITABLE REPRESENTATION OF THE GREAT WALL... ANY EXAMPLES OR IDEAS WOULD BE SPECTACULAR...

Postby Qwert on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:26 pm

I will say something but somebody will tell me to shut up
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Guiscard on Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:30 pm

If you have a genuine contribution to make, Qwert, then that's fine. If you're just gonna whine about other maps and suchlike then I'm afraid someone WILL tell you to shut up.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas