Conquer Club

Rail Europe [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby insomniacdude on Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:50 pm

About the HSL/STK connection: I'd connect them via a dotted line or something equivalent, and in the legend put a dotted line = connection thing where ti currently says they are connected. That way it's more apparent to people that there is some sort of connecction between them. Most people are visual, and if they don't see it (and mroe importantly have to read it burried on the legend) they'll likely miss it.

$0.02

Looking forward to the hopeful eventual quench!
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby cairnswk on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:22 pm

insomniacdude wrote:About the HSL/STK connection: I'd connect them via a dotted line or something equivalent, and in the legend put a dotted line = connection thing where ti currently says they are connected. That way it's more apparent to people that there is some sort of connecction between them. Most people are visual, and if they don't see it (and mroe importantly have to read it burried on the legend) they'll likely miss it.

$0.02

Looking forward to the hopeful eventual quench!

Yes. thanks insomniacdude...that dotted line is on the previous versions, but wasn't included in this latest version, but will be there in the next.

I am sure this will go for quench...eventually.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:26 pm

I like the frame on the title. But, the right side throws the whole thing off for me. I know it's dark because there's not a part of the train there, but I dunno it just looks bad to me. I'd like something from the picture to be there otherwise the frame stands out to much.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby GreecePwns on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:32 pm

It looks real nice...haven't played the USA one yet, but this looks better.

Also Athens word needs to be moved down, I believe. It's in the army square.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

V18 Small

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:01 am

V18 Small

Here are some changes as requested:
1. removed the backing from behind the framework on right side
2. added more framework to fill in the gaps
3. changed the figure of the PAR station
4. added the HSL <-> STK link back
5. lightened the army shadow area of PAR stations
6. moved the ATH text back ont its name space

Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:23 am

your last version is of bad quality, (saved to low quality?) so i looked at the previus one
*the text "bonuses is not easy to read
*you have 2 times explained that stations that are dissected by rials cannot attack eachoter
*the circles are not all the same (in the legend) some are thicker than others some are higher
*i shoudn't make the color lables where the text of the station is a bit transpart if a were you because it looks strange when you see the rails behind it
*on some placs the rails look blurred i.e. between LUS and VIE
*on some places the rails cross strange i.e. east of VEN and east of BGD
*the thing with the paris station has some few things i will explain later with a picture
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby unriggable on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:44 am

It needs to be as easy to read as rail USA
Cook unriggable

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:40 pm

The number "7" for TEE on the key is kinda hard to read.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:00 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but the map looks amazing.

My only big concern is that some of the colors for the stations (especially the different brownish-tints) are getting lost in the background for me.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:12 am

Oh, Jesus... do we really need this?

Well, dont forget the Brazil railroad then, once each part of the world needs a map with this same idea.
Major Marvaddin

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:34 am

Marvaddin wrote:Oh, Jesus... do we really need this?

Well, dont forget the Brazil railroad then, once each part of the world needs a map with this same idea.

Do you have an objection to this idea marvaddin?
Private cairnswk

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:42 am

did you do the graphics on this one and wm on the usa one?
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:51 am

reverend_kyle wrote:did you do the graphics on this one and wm on the usa one?

yes....wm is doing the rail lines on this one later. i guess it shows that much eh? :wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:47 am

cairnswk wrote:

maybe you mean SA? instead of brazil?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby yeti_c on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:02 am

I don't like the dots to represent the under-sea railway - esp as it's not consistent with the Chunnel between london and paris.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:04 pm

yeti_c wrote:I don't like the dots to represent the under-sea railway - esp as it's not consistent with the Chunnel between london and paris.

C.

yeti_c....sorry that doesn't represent a "chunnel" type train.
that is actually a ferry service that is included in that rail ticket, but i guess that needs clarifiaction on the map.
Private cairnswk

Postby RjBeals on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:15 pm

Cairnswk, I'm just wondering if you create all the graphics on your maps yourself? Like the tracks - do you draw out each one of tracks individually? Or do you create a brush and just draw them on. The iron fence swirls around the title at the top, did you draw those? Do you use the bezier curves and adjust anchor points & so on?

Just curious... :wink:

Map looks great btw.
Private RjBeals

Postby Coleman on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:24 pm

My clock complaint returns. Hopefully I don't have to restate the whole complaint again. It was solved last time.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cena-rules on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:26 pm

make paris brighter is all
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:33 pm

RjBeals wrote:Cairnswk, I'm just wondering if you create all the graphics on your maps yourself? Like the tracks - do you draw out each one of tracks individually? Or do you create a brush and just draw them on. The iron fence swirls around the title at the top, did you draw those? Do you use the bezier curves and adjust anchor points & so on?

Just curious... :wink:

Map looks great btw.

yes, the only thing not drawn out by myself is the pic of the Flying Scotsman, but i treat that pic in software and place it in the map on a layer.

My initial rail lines were all drawn with the Vector pen tool....in fact most things are done with some vector on the layer system as individual components.

WM does his rail lines in Illustrator i beleive, and i import them into this map for placement.

The swirls in the ironwork are vectors drawn out and "unioned" with a Solid Shadow angled at 170 degrees distance 10 px using specific colour. In Fireworks CS3 which is what i am using now, there is a spiral tool that allows the easy creation of some thing like that ironwork spirals. If i didn't have that tool available, i would have to work it by hand and drawn it out myself.
Private cairnswk

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:13 am

Wisse wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

No, I mean Brazil. Then maybe SA. I just dont understand why to have same idea again, once theres nothing new, and in fact its not really a TOP map. Waste of time having it again... but if any part of the world will have it, then I demand Brazil (most important part of the world!) as the next one :)

Seriously, whats the interest about having it in Europe? I simply cant understand.
Major Marvaddin

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:24 am

Marvaddin wrote:
Wisse wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

No, I mean Brazil. Then maybe SA. I just dont understand why to have same idea again, once theres nothing new, and in fact its not really a TOP map. Waste of time having it again... but if any part of the world will have it, then I demand Brazil (most important part of the world!) as the next one :)

Seriously, whats the interest about having it in Europe? I simply cant understand.

Marvaddin...this game is huge in Europe....we couldn't discriminate against Europe (and eventually the rest of the world) when our North American cousins have a rail map. :wink: As for it not being a top map, well thanks for your comments, but plenty out there will disagree with you.
Thanks for being your bad old self, seems you've returned to form the way you said you might! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:34 am

Not really... I have a year more than you here... when you joined I was much more polite... Maybe some more bad maps will get me to the old form again, but be sure you dont know it, lol

lol, if its a top map we are doomed... Sincerely, European people dont deserve it... But do it! And pm me your mail and I will send you my borough map, so each little part of the globe can have its own RR map.

In fact, Im huge in Brazil, so maybe I could now do a Brazil map based on physical aspects, then another one based on economics... Well, whats the problem about having several maps of same region with no new ideas, right? :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:40 am

Marvaddin wrote:Not really... I have a year more than you here... when you joined I was much more polite... Maybe some more bad maps will get me to the old form again, but be sure you dont know it, lol

lol, if its a top map we are doomed... Sincerely, European people dont deserve it... But do it! And pm me your mail and I will send you my borough map, so each little part of the globe can have its own RR map.

In fact, Im huge in Brazil, so maybe I could now do a Brazil map based on physical aspects, then another one based on economics... Well, whats the problem about having several maps of same region with no new ideas, right? :wink:

Go for it Marvaddin. Offer all the maps you want to CC. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:47 am

cairnswk wrote:
Marvaddin wrote:
Wisse wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Marvaddin...this game is huge in Europe....we couldn't discriminate against Europe (and eventually the rest of the world) when our North American cousins have a rail map. :wink: As for it not being a top map, well thanks for your comments, but plenty out there will disagree with you.
Thanks for being your bad old self, seems you've returned to form the way you said you might! :)

marv maybe because what cairns sayed ;)
anyway, i just think there aren't enough stations in brazil for a whole map, i think SA is better for it, it would be the same as if we did a map of the stations in the netherlands, you wouldn't come far, i think we have a max of 7 stations? not sure actually but it won't be much more or much less
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas