Conquer Club

Charleston, SC [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Charleston, SC (Ocean Update Pg-12) [I]

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Click image to enlarge.

PREVIOUS MAP HERE:
http://www.rjbeals.com/charleston/Charleston_Rev11.jpg

Added a new attack route from Palmetto Fort (Light Green) to Gray Bay (Blue). This makes Isle of Palms have the same amount of connections as Folly Beach - therefore making them both a justified +3 bonus. Meanwhile, West Ashley can stay at +2 fairly.

Changed Font - Sorry I didn't post a lot of different options. I figured I would pick what looked best for myself. I love the look of the new font compared to the original. It's fits this city much better than the blocky pixil font.

Removed Army Circles. Frankly - I don't think the map needs them. Very minimal textures to deal with. The only concern is North Charleston, as the 88 falls right on the border. I can't get it in the territ - sorry - but I think it will do.

This is not xml sample. Just graphics 88's to show placement.

Notice small legend has a bolder style / all capital letters font. Had to switch it for clarity. I don't think it's a big deal though.

============
What I just noticed, I will move Dorchesters name down a bit on small map. It's almost touching the top of the map.

Edit.. O yeah, took the border off the small map. Just no room.
Also - i see i didn't remove the circles from folly beach. I'll try and get them out of there for next update.
Private RjBeals

Re: Charleston, SC (Big / Small Maps - pg. 14) [I]

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

The new font looks good. I agree that army circles are unnecessary.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:19 pm

I think a +3 would be justified for Folly Beach if you made a link between West Morris and Parrot Point.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:I think a +3 would be justified for Folly Beach if you made a link between West Morris and Parrot Point.

This would make every territory in N. St. James a border then. I'd rather make Folly Beach a large 2 like West Ashley.

Edit: I also dislike the placement of your signature. :) I understand it allows the eye to visually fill in a square rather than leaving a blank space...but perhaps a simple -------- across that small area would do it. I'd rather see your signature somewhere else.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:22 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Edit: I also dislike the placement of your signature. :) I understand it allows the eye to visually fill in a square rather than leaving a blank space...but perhaps a simple -------- across that small area would do it. I'd rather see your signature somewhere else.

Why.. i think it fills a blank space rather nicely. with that area blank, it really throws the map off balance. I would prefer to keep it there, unless you can explain to me why you dislike it. And I also like the bonuses the way they are. I made isle of palms (iop) the same as folly beach - so if 1 if +2 they both should be +2. But they are a fair +3 right now. I prefer to keep them
Private RjBeals

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:39 pm

Folly Beach seems more 2 than 3, when comparing it to IoP as you suggest. It feels like W. Ashley!

As for the signature, like I mentioned, I understand you put it there for balanace...I just don't like the placement of it so small and tiny in the corner, almost like the name of a continent. Maybe if you change the text to white that would do it, but I suppose it'd mess up your balance! :) I just think there are better places for a signature, and balance can be achieved by other means in that area.

--Andy

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:46 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Folly Beach seems more 2 than 3, when comparing it to IoP as you suggest. It feels like W. Ashley!.... I just think there are better places for a signature, and balance can be achieved by other means in that area.

Sorry Andy - but IOP and Folley have the same number of territs, the same number of attack-in routes, and the same number of attack-out routes. I would think that would mean the same bonus amounts. Not sure why it feels differently.

And the sig - I don't know of any other means of making it look right. If I put my sig somewhere else on the map, then I'm left with a blank spot in the lower right of the legend. I could put a "---" there, but that would look dumb. I know at first it looks like a bonus region, but I think within 1 second, people will realize why it's there. But It's all good my brother :)
Private RjBeals

Postby edbeard on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:53 pm

FB only needs to defend 2 territories. IoP needs 3.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:55 pm

edbeard wrote:FB only needs to defend 2 territories. IoP needs 3.

:oops:

Yes. You are correct.
Private RjBeals

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:55 pm

What I was basing most of my comments on.

--Andy

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:59 pm

Right. I see. sorry.
Private RjBeals

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:55 am

Yes, that's why I told you to add that attack route earlier. To have them both have to defend 3 territories and justify the +3.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:08 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:

Yes, that's why I told you to add that attack route earlier. To have them both have to defend 3 territories and justify the +3.

I did add an attack route to Iop. But i didn't think it through enough i guess.
Private RjBeals

Postby Optimus Prime on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:37 pm

I'm having some troubles with the new font. I can read it relatively well, except for two gray continents. Those are seeming very blurred to me at the moment.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:I'm having some troubles with the new font. I can read it relatively well, except for two gray continents. Those are seeming very blurred to me at the moment.

Same for me. The new font is definitely better though, as this one feels less pixelly and more smooth.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:21 pm

I would comment more, but im terrible at gameplay...and to me the gfx are amazing.
No font has given me any trouble yet.
I dont think you need army circles
For both the large and the small, you're not at the size limit...so why do you feel like you need room?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:27 pm

I don't have a problem with the placement of your signature - it fills a nve space... You could consider using a different font for it though, but don't really think that's necessary.

Have you considered adding a comedy goat to Goat Island?

The new font fits the 'style' of the region well, even though I personally preferred the retro font of your initial incarnations.

Keep up the good work RJ ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby EdwinG on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:28 am

Great looking map. Can't wait to play in my home town!
May I suggest renaming "Wildlife Marine Resource" to it's original name "Fort Johnson"?
EdwinG
Mount Pleasant, SC
High score: 3052 (January 2015) High Position: #75/3850 (March 2024)
Brigadier EdwinG

Postby EdwinG on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:37 am

Also, so that there isn't confusion between a territory and a region with the same name, the territory of "East Cooper" could be called "Wando Port".
High score: 3052 (January 2015) High Position: #75/3850 (March 2024)
Brigadier EdwinG

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:30 pm

I'll edit both of the names to your suggestion edwin. Glad you like the map. The month of july is a busy one for me, in fact i'll be vacationning on IOP towards the end of the month. I'll pickup work on the map when I return.
Private RjBeals

Postby BlueSqPrem on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:53 pm

I like this map a lot. First impression is that it is a beautiful piece of work. The colour scheme works very well, as do the fonts. It looks like it will be both challenging and a lot of fun to play. Can't wait till it's available. Very well done :)
Sergeant BlueSqPrem

Postby RjBeals on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:52 am

BlueSqPrem wrote:I like this map a lot. First impression is that it is a beautiful piece of work. The colour scheme works very well, as do the fonts. It looks like it will be both challenging and a lot of fun to play. Can't wait till it's available. Very well done :)

Thanks BlueSqPrem. I'll begin work again soon on this (although I feel it's nearly complete) - and I will be changing the fonts. Most likely going back to the original. I need to wait and see what happens with Brazil though

This version's fonts is what I prefer:

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:09 pm

Renamed territory "Wildlife Marine Resource" to it's original name "Fort Johnson"
and "East Cooper" to "Wando Port".

New water route was added from Folley Beach, West Morris to Parrot Point. This makes the +3 bonus fair (same now as Isle of Palms).

Went back to original "blocky" text. After looking at this map for over a year, I tend to come back to this original font. There's something unique about it. I know some expressed concerns over readibilty, but on all 3 of my computer monitors, I have no problems with the names. I really don't think it's a big problem.

I also went back to include the army circles. I know that they are not necessary, but I just like how they look on the map.

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Re: Charleston, SC (pg. 1 & 15) [I]

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:38 pm

About dang time you picked this one back up, you procrastinating SoB.

I'm a little worried about the yellow of the Historic District. All of the other color hues are pastel and passive, whilst the yellow seems to come out of the map and slap you in the face. I dunno, could just be me.

The bridges look really good, particularly when changing colors between continents.

Everything else looks fine to me, good luck with everyone else's feedback. ;)
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Re: Charleston, SC (pg. 1 & 15) [I]

Postby RjBeals on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:52 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I'm a little worried about the yellow of the Historic District. All of the other color hues are pastel and passive, whilst the yellow seems to come out of the map and slap you in the face. I dunno, could just be me.

It may be a little more bold, but not so much to cause a problem. Plus, it should be a little more distinct because it is the heart of the city.
Private RjBeals

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas