Conquer Club

Philadelphia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Philadelphia - [2 Aug 2011] pg 20

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:07 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Whatever drives the creative juices... :twisted:

Alright here's what's new...

Went back to the multicolor bonus regions. (instead of reddish/whiteish/blueish)
Stronger textures and gradients for both playable and non-playable surface.
Font changed (although I was kinda partial to monotype corsica :P )
Drop shadow somewhat stronger around the Liberty Bell
icons added near the legend for the minor bonuses. (bridges and underdog)
Stronger texture with the rivers and slightly brighter color.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Re: Philadelphia - [2 Aug 2011] pg 21

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm

why would the liberty bell attack the bridges?
it's not even connected to them and its location should be near the independence hall.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm

The new look is really nice, I like how you're used gradient overlays there. This is starting to shape up. I'll comment more in detail later...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 am

It's just an icon, DiM, it doesn't represent the Liberty Bell's 'true' location. I've been trying and trying to work the bridge connection through New Jersey for a while and nothing I did ever seemed to work out. Toll booths, signs, states, ivy paths...

My thoughts are that the Liberty Bell is a well known Philadelphia icon and attraction that I'm using as a gameplay device.
ImageImage

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:28 am

RedBaron0 wrote:It's just an icon, DiM, it doesn't represent the Liberty Bell's 'true' location. I've been trying and trying to work the bridge connection through New Jersey for a while and nothing I did ever seemed to work out. Toll booths, signs, states, ivy paths...

My thoughts are that the Liberty Bell is a well known Philadelphia icon and attraction that I'm using as a gameplay device.

and the obvious question is: why?
do you really need the bridges to connect? what would that bring to the gameplay?
all the continents already have enough borders and they don't need any more. in fact 3/4 bridges are placed on terits that are already borders so they're naturally guarded. the only nely created border is port richmond. but the white continent already has 3 borders in 6 terits. it doesn't need a 4th.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:21 pm

It creates a shortcut connection from the northern sections of the map to the southern parts. The bridges are starting as neutrals and well as having a protected step from the killer neutral on the Liberty Bell itself. There is protection with these neutrals for the start of the game building bonuses. The bridges also hold a bonus should you wish to pursue it early with the starting value being only 2.
ImageImage

Postby Amateil on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:17 am

looking good!! :)
Corporal Amateil

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:35 am

How about adding a slight drop shadow to the land area, and masking it only to the water area? This would separate the land from the water a bit more... Just make it subtle, so it doesn't look unnatural.

Re: Philadelphia - [12 Aug 2011] pg 21

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:08 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Added the drop shadow, and got the small map put together :)
ImageImage

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:15 pm

You misunderstood me... you masked the drop shadow backwards. It was supposed to be visible only on water, not on land... And make the drop shadow for all land area, not just playable land. So the water sort of has an "inner drop shadow".

Also, only make it 1-2 pixels wide, so it'll look good on the rivers too.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:16 pm

1 quick fix: "1 territories: 4" should, of course, be "1 territory: 4", though perhaps "region" may be a more Conquer Club term?

I definitely want to say I absolutely love what you've done with the inset - I just wish the main map was more like that. Despite the effects and such, it still looks rather plain. I feel like it could benefit from a sort of "shadow" image like you have in the inset. It certainly needs something, and I don't think textures would necessarily fit the style.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Philadelphia - [15 Aug 2011] pg 21

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Image size: 830x800
Click image to enlarge.

Image size: 622x600

Alright changed the shadow over to the river, and added some background images for the land surface.
ImageImage

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:08 pm

It's at least a step in the right direction, to be sure! Not quite sure how I feel about it yet, though. I imagine the graphics gurus will have better feedback :P

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:49 pm

The water looks great now, however the building overlays are sort of distracting... maybe you could blur them a bit to take them out of focus.

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:41 am

My first impression is I'm not impressed. I had to look really hard to see proof that this map wasn't made 4 years ago alongside the original versions of Montreal and Canada. Sounds harsh, but aside from the building overlays (Great Lakes), it's extremely plain and doesn't grab the eye. This is compounded by the near-solid dark green background.

On a semi-related note, a lot of the Central City territory borders aren't clean, particularly Logan's Circle.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby MarshalNey on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:24 am

Ughhh, I wish I was worth a damn when it comes to graphics advice... this is probably my most-anticipated map in the Foundry right now, and I feel that I can offer little other than encouragement. Don't despair, RB, although I may not be commenting, I'm certainly following along.

The makeover is a lot more readable than the grafitti version, but I guess as everyone else is observing, it is a bit plain. Victor is right that the Central City skyline is the most appealing part of the map (to me anyway).

The thing is, perhaps I can't give specific computer graphics advice, but I think the map is still searching for a thematic style, and I might be able to help in that regard...

Right now, you've got the famous buildings, the Liberty Bell, suspension bridges and the underdog figure. Except for the last, there's a common element there of city architecture, which if you really ran with it might work out well.

However, that last element, the Underdog with upraised arms, intrigues me the most. What if the map themed itself around the people of Philly rather than the monuments and buildings? Helix mentioned an angry New Jerseyian instead of the Liberty Bell, and while that may be a little strange, maybe a gruff New Jersey toll keeper would fit? The 'people' theme doesn't have to be fun-loving, though, it could be serious too- using famous people born in the various bonus areas of the map as a background instead of a building, for instance.

I guess, to me the Underdog bonus is what makes this map really special and unique, and at its heart that idea is about people. I think it could be nice to see the graphics built around that idea.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby gimil on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:14 pm

I think MarshalNey is right, now need a theme to pull this together. Everytime I look at this map I struggle to see any direction. I actually think you have moved backwards since you overhaul from the graffiti theme. I though that maybe you were struggling with graphics, until I realised you made the Japan map. One of the most beautiful maps I have seem. Seriously how did you go from Japan to this?

I think the best course of action mate is to take a step back think of the theme and direction you want this map to go and try again. If you can produce a piece of art like Japan, you can certainly produce a better attempt at phili than this! Good luck, pal.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:17 pm

I know, its the theme that kills me. I've been struggling to figure out something that really captures Philly. The graffiti was nice, but I really felt it wasn't working in a way that I wanted it to.

You'd figure with such a colorful city like Philly this would be easy to figure out.... but it just hasn't been so far. :|
ImageImage

Postby ironsij0287 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:45 pm

Has anyone mentioned this for possible theme inspiration?

It's a piece of art entitled "I Love Philadelphia". The artist's name is William Ressler.
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Postby RjBeals on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 pm

how about this as a theme:

just kidding :)
Private RjBeals

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:34 pm

wtf is that? it's bread with meat inside. that i recognize, but are those macaroni? and what's the gooey orange stuff?
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:38 pm

DiM wrote:wtf is that? it's bread with meat inside. that i recognize, but are those macaroni? and what's the gooey orange stuff?

It's what people from Philadelphia eat. Philly Cheese Steak. And those are onions.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:43 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
DiM wrote:wtf is that? it's bread with meat inside. that i recognize, but are those macaroni? and what's the gooey orange stuff?

It's what people from Philadelphia eat. Philly Cheese Steak. And those are onions.

that looks absolutely horrible and i bet it tastes delicious :lol:
i'm hungry.
Major DiM

Postby chapcrap on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:42 pm

First time I looked at this map. I love the underdog bonus.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby gimil on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:52 am

RedBaron0 can we expect to see any updates anytime soon?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas