Conquer Club

Celtic 7 Nations v4.0 [Quenched]!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Celtic 7 Nations v2.7

Postby The Bison King on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby ender516 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:11 pm

The test images look pretty good, but they ought to be in [ bigimg ] tags.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:30 pm

Eh.... the title is the title, it doesn't have much graphical impact. And as already discussed it'll only really affect where it end up on the "list...." :roll: (By the way with a "7" in front it'd be 3rd on the list, Classic is always first and 13 Colonies after that, the "1" being the defining character)
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby The Bison King on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:26 pm

oh, I was really only joking about that, obviously the higher up the more publicity it gets but I'm not going to go out of my way just to shove it in peoples faces. The C's are pretty close to the top any way. ;)

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:05 am

I wanted to try a couple things out tell me what you think.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

*please not that these are all low quality exports, and not final quality exports.

*also note that on version #3 & #4 I added the Gaelic names into the mini map, these change will be kept regardless of which version is preferred or not.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby ender516 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:35 am

Well, I don't like the Braveheart photo, and I think of the red dragon as distinctly Welsh, rather than more generally Celtic, so I am not real hot for any of these changes. The dragon behind the bonus legend is perhaps an interesting decoration.
I like that you found all the Gaelic names for the mini-map. You might want to eliminate the English names entirely, from the mini-map, the legend and the XML. I do wonder how the Gaelic names on the mini-map would look with the font that the English names are using.

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Well, I don't like the Braveheart photo

Waa???? you mean you don't like that??!!!! That was the best one! :D

I think of the red dragon as distinctly Welsh, rather than more generally Celtic

It's true that it is on the Welsh flag but I think it's origins are older than that:
, but it is popularly supposed to have been the battle standard of King Arthur and other ancient Celtic leaders.

so I am not real hot for any of these changes.

Well I wanted to give them a try, if this opinion is the popular one I won't feel a need to add it in, but I really would like to hear more opinions.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Not a huge fan of those additions either. The red dragon doesn't fit the colour scheme of the map at all. In #3 it fits better colour-wise but looks blurry. And #4... do I need to say anything about #4? ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:14 pm

And #4... do I need to say anything about #4? ;)

....other that it's the best one :-s
Last edited by The Bison King on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Does this work a little better? I muted them a bit...

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Well, better than before but...

The problem with the red dragons is, that all of the rest of your map has an overall cold colour scheme - dominantly blue with tones of green, some gray. The warm red creates a contrast which draws too much attention to the dragons - since they are a supposed to be a decoration, and are not part of the playable area and do not convey any important information, they should not draw so much attention, they should fade to the background... as they are now, even muted, they look like they kinda don't belong.

If you really want the dragons on, I'd suggest trying to make them blend in with the map better. You could try adjusting the hue a few degrees towards blue, or perhaps decreasing the opacity so it blends with the blue background a bit...

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:40 pm

natty_dread wrote:Well, better than before but...

The problem with the red dragons is, that all of the rest of your map has an overall cold colour scheme - dominantly blue with tones of green, some gray. The warm red creates a contrast which draws too much attention to the dragons - since they are a supposed to be a decoration, and are not part of the playable area and do not convey any important information, they should not draw so much attention, they should fade to the background... as they are now, even muted, they look like they kinda don't belong.

If you really want the dragons on, I'd suggest trying to make them blend in with the map better. You could try adjusting the hue a few degrees towards blue, or perhaps decreasing the opacity so it blends with the blue background a bit...

Click image to enlarge.

Like this?

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:44 pm

That looks better. They don't jump at your face anymore ;)

Postby ender516 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:57 pm

And who would want a dragon jumping in his face?

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:13 pm

So do we like this? Is this a good change? or are we simply tolerating it because I have dulled it down?

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby ender516 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Well, I can still take them or leave them, with a slight leaning towards not using them, as they do break your palette of cool colours. But they have only been posted for four and a half hours, so you may yet get stronger opinions one way or the other. If no one says anything, with no strong objections yet, do what makes you happy or proud.

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:42 pm

The Bison King wrote: Well, I don't like the Braveheart photo

You do realize that if you could use that, Mel Gibson would be after you.... scary, I know.

Eh... muted it fits better, but I don't see the the need for the dragons at all. How about some druids?
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby $nakeface on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:45 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:
The Bison King wrote: Well, I don't like the Braveheart photo

You do realize that if you could use that, Mel Gibson would be after you.... scary, I know.

Eh... muted it fits better, but I don't see the the need for the dragons at all. How about some druids?

druids... i feel like that would come off as being kind of cheesy. i think the dragons spice up the map nicely by adding in a complementing color. lets face it, this map has a lot of green. i say it looks good as is. though i do still like the dragon as background to the key, if you could touch it up a little it might look nice.
Cook $nakeface

Postby mattattam on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:16 am

The idea of the double dragon and your placement of it is awesome for me. Although I agree with natty and ender that the red is not a good contrast for this map.

What if you made the dragon and shade of green or preferably blue that would compliment the map more without drawing unnecessary attention to? I think a bluish grey would go well...
Major mattattam

Postby The Bison King on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:31 am

The idea of the double dragon and your placement of it is awesome for me.

Thanks I definitely think I'll be keeping the dragons. The more I look at them the more I like them.

lets face it, this map has a lot of green.

That's exactly why I felt the need to add some Red. Red is the on the opposite end of the color spectrum from Green, therefore it's supposed to be a good match. Like Christmas colors.

What if you made the dragon and shade of green or preferably blue that would compliment the map more without drawing unnecessary attention to? I think a bluish grey would go well...

well, the Welsh Dragon is a red Dragon, plus that stuff I said about complimentary colors above. Also, remember that no matter what there will always be red on this map. 1st player get's red so it won't look out of place on an in game map at all.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby mattattam on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:55 am

That's exactly why I felt the need to add some Red. Red is the on the opposite end of the color spectrum from Green, therefore it's supposed to be a good match. Like Christmas colors.

It's not so much the red in terms of being a bad match as a color scheme. I think it is because this map has more subtle blended colors and the red is more vibrant that clashes with this theme. I don't mind the faded dragon you posted last. It goes more. I think you could play around with the colors a little bit and see if something looks better. It won't be the red welsh dragon but any color dragon would still go with the celtic vision of this map.
Major mattattam

Postby natty dread on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:31 am

Red is the on the opposite end of the color spectrum from Green,

Actually, that depends on what colour system you use. In substractive colour systems (eg. painting, printing/CMYK) that use red, yellow and blue as primary colours, you are correct. However in additive colour systems (computer graphics, TV, light) which use red, green and blue as primary colours, they are not - instead the opposite colour for red is cyan and the opposite colour for green is purple.

In the colour temperature theory, colours from red to green are considered warm, while colours from green to blue are considered cold. Both green and purple can be warm or cold, depending on the tone.

Carry on... ;)

Postby The Bison King on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:52 am

natty_dread wrote:

Actually, that depends on what colour system you use. In substractive colour systems (eg. painting, printing/CMYK) that use red, yellow and blue as primary colours, you are correct. However in additive colour systems (computer graphics, TV, light) which use red, green and blue as primary colours, they are not - instead the opposite colour for red is cyan and the opposite colour for green is purple.

In the colour temperature theory, colours from red to green are considered warm, while colours from green to blue are considered cold. Both green and purple can be warm or cold, depending on the tone.

Carry on... ;)

That was color theory with Natty_Dread Everyone. Please give him a round of applause =D> =D> =D>

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:21 pm

natty_dread wrote:

Carry on... ;)

*frantically scribbles down notes* Will there be a test on this?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Celtic 7 Nations v2.8

Postby The Bison King on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Dragons duh.

Sergeant The Bison King

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas