Conquer Club

California [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: California [24 Jun 2011] 4.9

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:13 pm

The Bison King wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:You need a title like this... At least in that block letter style.

I feel like he tried this at one point, but I forget...

-Sully

Yeah we tried this earlier on, couldn't really get it to work out though.

could you tell me in what update you tried that?
you don't have the previous updates in the first post and searching through 650 posts takes a lot of time.

bruces' suggestion is really good and i'd like to see what went wrong.

edit// it actually took just a bit. i got lucky and found it quick :)
it's in this post: viewtopic.php?p=2999134#p2999134

i think the first image fro there is the way to go. but with the following changes:
1. change "the golden state of" from diagonal to horizontal and reduce it's size.
2. make "california" straight horizontal instead of that curve
3. use big high thick letters for "california" that allow more of the clipping mask to be shown.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: California [24 Jun 2011] 5.0

Postby danfrank on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:20 pm

Is this not beta material yet ? or is the nitpicking charade still going to be patronized ?

Great Job Bison and i took a peek at your new map Bravo Also ... =D> :mrgreen:
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby natty dread on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:58 am

danfrank wrote:Is this not beta material yet ? or is the nitpicking charade still going to be patronized ?

The mapmaker is required to respond to all criticism and feedback as long as the map is not quenched, and in some cases, even after that.

If you really want to see your favorite map in play sooner, offer some constructive feedback instead of trying to rush the map out of production, as you're just doing the mapmaker a huge disservice by doing that.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:28 am

DiM wrote:
The Bison King wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:You need a title like this... At least in that block letter style.

I feel like he tried this at one point, but I forget...

-Sully

Yeah we tried this earlier on, couldn't really get it to work out though.

could you tell me in what update you tried that?
you don't have the previous updates in the first post and searching through 650 posts takes a lot of time.

bruces' suggestion is really good and i'd like to see what went wrong.

edit// it actually took just a bit. i got lucky and found it quick :)
it's in this post: viewtopic.php?p=2999134#p2999134

i think the first image fro there is the way to go. but with the following changes:
1. change "the golden state of" from diagonal to horizontal and reduce it's size.
2. make "california" straight horizontal instead of that curve
3. use big high thick letters for "california" that allow more of the clipping mask to be shown.

Yeah I played around with this before and I couldn't really get it to work. Since this post I messed around with it again, tried to find a thicker font but nothing felt right. I like the current font and I think the gradient works well with the sunset.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Vlasov on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Any other complaints or questions?
Private 1st Class Vlasov

Postby The Bison King on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:11 pm

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Last Call

The map has passed through rigorous gameplay and graphics examinations and all major concerns have been addressed. If you have any other concerns, please make your voice heard. If after a reasonable amount of time there has not been any objection or protest, the map will be stamped and submitted for the Beta period.

Please, post questions and concerns if any.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby natty dread on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:21 am

natty_dread wrote:Now this might be an optical illusion, but it looks to me the intervals between the bonus names are not even... Los Angeles at least seems to be a few pixels too high...

Postby DiM on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:36 am

1. the stars on the map have a brownish outline while the star in the legend has a yellow outline

2. some borders are lighter and some are darker. for example the border from sequoia to sierra madre is lighter than the one from sequoia to bakersfield.

3. in some places (especially in northern cali and mojave) the texture of the terits overlaps the outer borders making them look inconsistent.

4. the insets for LA and bay area have a hard shadow while the mainland map has a very soft one.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 am

DiM wrote:4. the insets for LA and bay area have a hard shadow while the mainland map has a very soft one.

This part is on purpose if I recall correctly, to make the main map pop up higher than the insets.

That said, I think the inset shadows could be blurred slightly and moved closer to the insets, the hardness looks a bit unnatural.

Postby The Bison King on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Borders fixed, spacing in the legend fixed. I didn't change the shadows cause I like them how they are.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Minor suggestion, the bonus legend can be refined a bit more imo; maybe have it listed with the same angle as the near map border (look the spoiler) ;)
show
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby The Bison King on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:10 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Minor suggestion, the bonus legend can be refined a bit more imo; maybe have it listed with the same angle as the near map border (look the spoiler) ;)
show

Good call. I had done something like that earlier to keep everything aligned but in redoing the spacing I inadvertently altered the number trajectory.

(yes I know Trajectory isn't the right word but I never get to use it)

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 pm

The Bison King wrote: I like the current font and I think the gradient works well with the sunset.

It really doesn't, but congrats on getting this map moved forward as is. I wish I knew your secret!
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Vlasov on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:10 am

The area where the border between Inland Empire and San Diego connects to Anaheim's SW border doesn't match up between the full map and the inset. Just a little thing...
Private 1st Class Vlasov

Postby melech14 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:10 am

well since it's almost perfect... I havn't liked the way the Cities key - mostly because it looks jammed at the bottom (the bear). Maybe at the top the star and the word cities could be reduced in size and the whole key moved up a bit.
Sergeant melech14

Postby PROFITS on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:58 pm

My only problem with this is having "Santa Ana" and "Anaheim" as part of "Los Angeles". Orange County should have it's own separate region with Santa Ana and Anaheim as a part of it. I'm tired of people thinking I'm from L.A every I go when I mention Orange County anyways, we've been fighting for our independence for a long time. :mrgreen: Other than that, I love the idea of a map for California. It's way past due.
Colonel PROFITS

Postby The Bison King on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:22 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

thenobodies80 wrote:Minor suggestion, the bonus legend can be refined a bit more imo; maybe have it listed with the same angle as the near map border (look the spoiler) ;)
show

Adressed

lostatlimbo wrote:
The Bison King wrote: I like the current font and I think the gradient works well with the sunset.

It really doesn't, but congrats on getting this map moved forward as is. I wish I knew your secret!

The only secret is persistence.

Vlasov wrote:The area where the border between Inland Empire and San Diego connects to Anaheim's SW border doesn't match up between the full map and the inset. Just a little thing...

Adressed

melech14 wrote:well since it's almost perfect... I havn't liked the way the Cities key - mostly because it looks jammed at the bottom (the bear). Maybe at the top the star and the word cities could be reduced in size and the whole key moved up a bit.

I didn't adjust anythings size but I did move it up a little bit.

PROFITS wrote:My only problem with this is having "Santa Ana" and "Anaheim" as part of "Los Angeles". Orange County should have it's own separate region with Santa Ana and Anaheim as a part of it. I'm tired of people thinking I'm from L.A every I go when I mention Orange County anyways, we've been fighting for our independence for a long time. :mrgreen: Other than that, I love the idea of a map for California. It's way past due.

I'm sorry, but that's not happening. Orange county just isn't important enough to have it's own bonus so it must be grouped with the nearest largest region. Please don't take personal offense to this. I live in Anderson township but it's much easier to tell people that I'm from Cincinnati, since people know where hat is.

Sergeant The Bison King

Re: California [24 Jun 2011] 5.1

Postby Vlasov on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:37 am

I agree with your last reply, BisonKing. Orange County is part of the "greater Los Angeles metropolitan area"... just like the "Bay Area" includes major cities and counties surrounding San Francisco.

I can sympathize with PROFITS, though. As a San Diego native (now in Bakersfield) I would love to see San Diego as a separate region with 2 or 3 territories, but I know that's not feasible on this map.

Maybe a "Southern California" map would be good. Then you could show ALL the counties in the area (L.A., Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Imperial). It could even include parts of Arizona and Baja California (Tijuana!).
Private 1st Class Vlasov

Postby The Bison King on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:35 am

Maybe a "Southern California" map would be good. Then you could show ALL the counties in the area (L.A., Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, San Diego, Imperial). It could even include parts of Arizona and Baja California (Tijuana!).

Lord knows enough people live there to make a map.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby DiM on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:48 am

probably by 2015 we'll have every little bit of USA mapped on CC :roll:

anyway, back to the map.
except for the title which i don't find very appealing i think everything else is pretty much done.
the title is decent and it gets the job done, however i would have liked something that makes me wow, something more than just a couple of fonts.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:50 am

DiM wrote:probably by 2015 we'll have every little bit of USA mapped on CC :roll:

anyway, back to the map.
except for the title which i don't find very appealing i think everything else is pretty much done.
the title is decent and it gets the job done, however i would have liked something that makes me wow, something more than just a couple of fonts.

I know what you mean. The title is nice and it does the job. But needs more umph. Brighten it up and get some more layer styles in there would be my suggestion.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Vlasov on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:32 am

Good points.

Maybe you could color each letter of "C A L I F O R N I A" in some sort of bright spectral layered style, reflecting the colors on the map itself -- kind of like a Rainbow effect? I don't know fonts or graphics; just a suggestion.

Also, you should really consider eliminating "The Golden State of" phrase... it's not exactly known worldwide (it dates back to the Gold Rush in the 19th century). That would give you a lot of room to elevate and colorize the title "CALIFORNIA" -- and also elevate and/or enlarge the legends under the title, which some people have mentioned as looking small or crowded.
Private 1st Class Vlasov

Postby ender516 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:36 pm

I think all the U.S. states have a semi-official state nickname, and I'm pretty sure "Golden State" is California's, so I think the natives would like to see that kept. Perhaps the world "Golden" could be enhanced, giving a golden look?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby PROFITS on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Vlasov wrote:I agree with your last reply, BisonKing. Orange County is part of the "greater Los Angeles metropolitan area"... just like the "Bay Area" includes major cities and counties surrounding San Francisco.

I can sympathize with PROFITS, though. As a San Diego native (now in Bakersfield) I would love to see San Diego as a separate region with 2 or 3 territories, but I know that's not feasible on this map.

Orange County not important enough? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As of 2010 census, Orange County is 3RD MOST POPULOUS County in CALIFORNIA. I mean, this is a map of CALIFORNIA right? If you want to take it even further, Orange County is the 6TH MOST POPULOUS COUNTY in the entire UNITED STATES. I'm only stating facts here, not just saying hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, well I guess I personally feel this is important and this isn't important. Los Angeles being the entertainment capitl of the WORLD deserves to have it's 5 regions of the greater Los Angeles in this map. Orange County being the 2nd largest dsn't deserve a spot, but the 3 smaller ones do? That doesn't make any sense. Not trying to be rude, just trying to help you out a little.

I know you mentioned you are from some small city, but that doesn't compare to Santa Ana and Anaheim which has over 200,000 residents, one of the largest tourist attractions in the WORLD (Disneyland) and a Supreme Court (Santa Ana).

Not to mention over 10% of FORTUNE 500 companies have headquarters in Irvine, Newport Beach, Costa Mesa and various other cities in O.C.

Orange County has 2 mainstream sports teams with world championships (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim & Anaheim Ducks).

Shall I keep going?

Anyways, I'm totally fine with you not wanting take a bunch of time to change things around and all that (as we all know we don't get paid for this work), but your response that the 6th most populous county in the U.S wasn't important enough just sounded kinda funny.
Colonel PROFITS

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas