Conquer Club

SteamWorks

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: SteamWorks [03 Aug 2011] V26 pg.1&26 - XML done?

Postby OliverFA on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:46 pm

DiM wrote:
OliverFA wrote:
DiM wrote:why does it take that bloody long? in 2-4 weeks i could learn all the xml features from scratch and write a perfectly good new xml. what exactly does Oliver do in those 2-4 weeks?

He has a life.

then get an assistant, or an assistant's assistant or something.
enjoy your life but don't neglect the duties which you volunteered for.

We are in August. This is traditionally a holidays month. Even at paid jobs.

Plus, you are not the only one with XML waiting. Are you suggesting I should had checked your file before the other mapmaker's files? I am sorry to be the one that tells you, but the world does not revolve around you.

I won't enter in your detailed description of my life, because that's lowering to your level. But let's say that your list had several errors, plus other things you can't see and of course I have the right not to tell.

If you think I am not doing my job post a thread asking for my removal. That's easy. If CC admins think I am not doing my job they'll remove me. And maybe you can get the job.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:09 pm

DiM, if you, or anyone else, has some suggestions for candidates to become Cartography Assistants to help address any issues you may have with map production, you can always contact thenobodies80. :) All our Volunteers on Team CC do a pretty excellent job. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:36 pm

i do not wish your removal and i do not wish that you check my xml before the others that are waiting. i never requested either of those things.
the reasons why you have xmls as old as 2 weeks that you still haven't checked do not interest me at all.
all i want is to see a foundry running as smooth as possible and apparently when it comes to xml checking you can't provide that smoothness that i crave for. hence my suggestion to get another xml CA to help you.
as long as the xmls get checked in a decent amount of time i don't care who does it when he/she does it and what are all the xml CAs doing. if there are 2 xml CAs then one could check the xmls when the other's on vacation and nobody would have a problem with this.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:40 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:DiM, if you, or anyone else, has some suggestions for candidates to become Cartography Assistants to help address any issues you may have with map production, you can always contact thenobodies80. :)

unfortunately i can't make any suggestions as i do not know each person's willingness to join the Cartography team or their available spare time.

AndyDufresne wrote:All our Volunteers on Team CC do a pretty excellent job. :)

imho only some do an excellent job, others mediocre and a few are very very poor. in fact i'm actually wondering how could a person with a completely non-existent certain skill be appointed in a position where that specific skill is essential. but hey, it's all voluntary! so no matter how poor their performance is we should not complain, right?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby OliverFA on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:45 pm

If you are not interested in the reasons, then why did you make a detailed description of what I was doing? Seems too much effort for something that doesn't interest you.

On the other hand, you are a very demanding customer. You demand a top service for $25 per year, including duplication of all functions so there can always be someone during holidays.

Anyway, that's my last comment about this subject. I don't want to be corresponsible of a flame war.
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:00 pm

OliverFA wrote:If you are not interested in the reasons, then why did you make a detailed description of what I was doing? Seems too much effort for something that doesn't interest you.

i made that description because i was told you have RL issues and that's why you can't take care of the xml so i simply looked to see if the RL issues were more important than everything else at CC or just the xml checking.
apparently just the xml failed to get on the priorities list.

OliverFA wrote:On the other hand, you are a very demanding customer. You demand a top service for $25 per year, including duplication of all functions so there can always be someone during holidays.

let's not forget that just like you, i too am a volunteer worker for this site. i do the maps in my own free time and i don't see lack coming at the end of each month to shower me with dollar bills.
the problem is that while you (and the other coloured persons) seem to always make demands and hide under the volunteer/RL thing we (the map makers) aren't being cut any kind of slack despite the fact that we work just as much. we aren't allowed to voice our opinions and concerns, we aren't allowed to make demands.
normally there should be a mutual respect since we're all supposed to be on the same side.
i make your job easier by dedicating my time to make a nice map and make it fast, CAs should make mine easier by stamping checking moving in a reasonable amount of time. when a CA comes to my map and comments on a certain feature of my map and asks for a change then i do that change as fast as i can. in return i just want to have the same promptitude when i ask something from the CAs.
the problem is that at some point team CA got the attitude that they're making all the map makers a huge favour by letting them work on maps when in fact the simple existence of the map makers is what allows you to exist as CAs.
so no, i'm not a demanding customer, i'm a demanding colleague that works just as much as anybody else in this foundry and demands to be treated with respect. and when i see that i do my best to get everything right whenever a CA asks for something and when the roles get reversed i see i'm being ignored then i do have a right to get pissed.

OliverFA wrote:Anyway, that's my last comment about this subject. I don't want to be corresponsible of a flame war.

and this is not a flame war. this is just me being upset and disappointed on the attitude that some people around here have.
Major DiM

Postby OliverFA on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:17 pm

DiM, if you want to be treated with respect you should start by respecting yourself the people you demand respect from.

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby DiM on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:25 pm

OliverFA wrote:DiM, if you want to be treated with respect you should start by respecting yourself the people you demand respect from.

and i have, right until the point i saw i'm being treated badly and i decided to complain.

if you check any of my map threads no single post from any CA was left unanswered and most of the times that answer came the same day and when it was the case it also brought an update with the suggestions i was asked to implement by that CA.
in my book that's respect.
but when i ask for a map to be checked for draft/gameplay/graphics and i'm being ignored for several days/weeks in a row, or when i send a pm to a CA and never get an answer, or when i wait in vain for a xml check then i do have the right to get pissed.

i don't want preferential treatment. all i want is to be treated with respect. and when the day comes that i ignore a post from a CA or go for weeks without bothering to answer it then please get pissed and feel free to complain just like i am.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 pm

=; HALT! =;

Let's take a deep breath and focus on the map in this, the map thread. If you want to continue this 'discussion', do so in the Foundry Discussions forum.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MrBenn on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:51 pm

natty_dread wrote:When Forza did the XML checks, they were generally done pretty quickly, in a few days or so... but the wait for beta was still just as long.

The quick checks were often not thorough enough to pick up errors.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:16 pm

MrBenn wrote:
natty_dread wrote:When Forza did the XML checks, they were generally done pretty quickly, in a few days or so... but the wait for beta was still just as long.

The quick checks were often not thorough enough to pick up errors.

Often? I remember maybe 1 or 2 occasions...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby lostatlimbo on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:49 am

As most of you know, I've had my own frustrations and complaints about this process, but its important to remember we are ALL volunteers here. On one hand I can empathize with DiM, because I get the sense that he (like myself) is a tad obsessive about his projects and gets very focused on them. Once you are locked in, it is hard to just stop thinking about it for a couple weeks.

It is also rather unfortunate that none of us (mapmakers or proofers alike) get anything other than a sense of accomplishment for our work. In lieu of a real reward, we seek attention. Recently, I was sort of surprised to find that lack (?) is profiting from volunteer made maps outside of conquer club. That seems rather exploitive and unfair.

I don't want to further hijack this thread, but its related to stuff that has been on my mind. At any rate, I posted the rest of my thoughts in the Discussions thread: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=151801
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:28 am

lostatlimbo wrote:Recently, I was sort of surprised to find that lack (?) is profiting from volunteer made maps outside of conquer club.
??!!!
Major Kabanellas

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:51 am

Kabanellas wrote:
lostatlimbo wrote:Recently, I was sort of surprised to find that lack (?) is profiting from volunteer made maps outside of conquer club.
??!!!

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:54 am

cairnswk wrote:
Kabanellas wrote:
??!!!

He's referring to the map t-shirts lack sells. AFAIK, though, no one's map is printed on a shirt without the mapmaker's permission.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Coleman on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:40 pm

natty_dread wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
Kabanellas wrote:
??!!!

He's referring to the map t-shirts lack sells. AFAIK, though, no one's map is printed on a shirt without the mapmaker's permission.

Did I ever give permission? I don't remember. :/

Anyway... I'd say that the CAs move with a certain 'deliberateness' 8-[ that wasn't present when DiM made maps previously. In addition it was never stated anywhere that this needs to be the only thing they do on CC, or even their top priority on CC. Therefore, pointing out that the 'XML CA' is doing other things on the website while XML remains unchecked seems kinda irrelevent. At least to me.

Do these other activites require the hour to two hours that XML examining usually takes? If so maybe he hasn't had that much free time available at one time and choose to at least do something CC related with what time he does have.

Regardless I simply don't see the point in any of this debate. If DiM wants to put all his maps on indefinate vacation or whatever that's his right and he can do it for whatever reason he wants. I'd like to be able to say that I care what happens one way or the other, but I just don't, not really.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:43 am

Well, I care!

And hopefully DIM will bring this one through. It's a beautiful map with appealing game-play, it will definitely be a valuable addition to CC.
Major Kabanellas

Postby zimmah on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:13 pm

DiM added some great maps to CC allready, and he clearly showed he's still willing to make some maps. sadly the lack of support was too much for him.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Re: SteamWorks [03 Aug 2011] V26 pg.1&26 - meh...

Postby DiM on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:25 am

Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:05 am

:roll:
Major DiM

Postby OliverFA on Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:34 am

DiM wrote::roll:

I think that if you come back to your stalker activity you will find some interesting things ;)

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby DiM on Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:57 am

OliverFA wrote:
DiM wrote::roll:

I think that if you come back to your stalker activity you will find some interesting things ;)

who said i ever stopped stalking?

you didn't even notice the hidden camera in your bedroom.
here's you waking up.

i have more pics from when you pooped and took your shower. want me to share those too? :twisted:
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:02 am

DiM wrote:who said i ever stopped stalking?

you didn't even notice the hidden camera in your bedroom.
here's you waking up.

i have more pics from when you pooped and took your shower. want me to share those too? :twisted:

Please don't.Image
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby OliverFA on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:04 am

So you were really serious about that stalking thing! :lol: :oops:

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

Postby OliverFA on Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:25 pm

This morning after breakfast XML was checked. There are a couple of minor issues.

coords:

small map- hampshire out of territory, overlaps w/ i.o.w
large map- isle of wight out of territory (not sure if intentional but it stuck out since it's inside it in the small version)

all other coords ok

bonuses:

"Six powered engines" should override "six steam and five engines", not "All steam and five engines"
all other bonuses ok

My Maps:

Private OliverFA

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas