Conquer Club

4 Star Meats [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Prime Beef [Jan 25] page 12

Postby Butters1919 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:33 pm

padsta wrote:and as far as i can see patch wars answers these just as badly as prime beef does, how come 1 map is allowed and the other isn't

Agreed. I would rather fight over a cow then a quilt (not that I disapprove of the quilt, just a stating a personal preference).
Cook Butters1919

Postby dana1971 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks to all those who have supported the map as it is.

Moving on it's clear to me that to have a map approved on CC the average player has to be able to imagine little characters running around and fighting on it.

This being the case I am altering the graphics on the map so that the cow body becomes an island in the shape of a cow.

The new title will be "Battle for Cow Island"

I'd like to keep the game play more or less the same as it is now, but would appreciate comments on the Game Play so that I can sort out any fundamental flaws.

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Sounds groovy, dana :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am

dana, as for GP, can you bring the othr two back legs into play as one single territ. This would open the legs up some and make them better to attack/defend.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:21 pm

I haven't followed the discussion very closely on this map, but if I got it right the foundry foreman has decided that this map isn't going any further because it doesn't have a theme along the lines of war/conquering. It's quote "just an image of a cow on a piece of paper".
I don't think it's valid to discard a map on that basis. We have plenty of maps that doesn't have a war/conquering theme.
Only difference is that this one is unique and interesting. Classic, Africa, Asia, Germany, USA have no war/conquering theme. They're just an image of a country/continent/planet on a "piece of paper".
In fact most country maps are just that, a simple image of a place without any indication of a war being fought.
I don't see why an image of a cow would have to be so incredibly much more war like than any regular map!
But if you insist that the problem is that there isn't any conquering/waring going on on this particular map, then that's a very easy thing to do something about without changing the image entirely!
Instead of making a "cow island" which I think sounds like a ridiculous idea and completely misses the point of making a map about a cow, one could make a theme of vampire bats assaulting the cow and the goal is to eat/conquer the cow. Bats could be starting positions located on different parts of the cow and the cow could remain relatively much as it looks now.
All of a sudden you have a theme and a reason for the cow to be portrayed. It's the setting of a war, a war amongst bats. No different from Poland being portrayed in a world war themed map.
In all honesty though I don't think you should have to make this map into a theme to make it playable, mainly because that rule doesn't abide to most maps that we have here on cc.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby dana1971 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Gillipig wrote:I haven't followed the discussion very closely on this map, but if I got it right the foundry foreman has decided that this map isn't going any further because it doesn't have a theme along the lines of war/conquering. It's quote "just an image of a cow on a piece of paper".
I don't think it's valid to discard a map on that basis. We have plenty of maps that doesn't have a war/conquering theme.
Only difference is that this one is unique and interesting. Classic, Africa, Asia, Germany, USA have no war/conquering theme. They're just an image of a country/continent/planet on a "piece of paper".
In fact most country maps are just that, a simple image of a place without any indication of a war being fought.
I don't see why an image of a cow would have to be so incredibly much more war like than any regular map!

Thank you for your comments Gillipig, they are appreciated. It's always nice to hear when someone supports the map as it is, with a rational and well thought out argument.

I have done a quick sketch for cow Island which I plan to post shortly. Hopefully the powers at be will see it's potential.

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Re: Battle for Cow Island [Feb 14] page 18

Postby dana1971 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi all,

Wanted you to know that I haven't given up on this map yet, so I'm posting a a quick sketch.

It still needs a lot of work, but I hope you can see where I'm going with it.

The boarders are now rivers with bridges on it, and I've broken up the regions. The fly swarm is now two islands that will link to Tsetse Island.
I need to put the names in, redraw all the vectors, and create the bonuses. As well as make the water look more like water, and the islands more like islands.
The Grass section has been replaced by rough seas and will remain killer neutrals.

Anyway, it's a start.
Click image to enlarge.
Captain dana1971

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Can't go to sleep without to post here.

After the discussion we had via pm and what i can see here, let me say that finally I'm smiling! :D

I know it's just a start but if you follow all you said to me, this is a good start.
Well done dana

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby RjBeals on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:29 pm

wow, just checking this thread after some time away, and sad to say that we lost the cuts of beef map that I thought was awesome. Now it's just some dumb cow shaped island. You probably got hammered from all directions to do this unfortunately. But your early drafts were way more original and cooler imo.

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:44 pm

So beals, when are you going to make a cow map for majcom? ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ViperOverLord on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:46 pm

RjBeals wrote:wow, just checking this thread after some time away, and sad to say that we lost the cuts of beef map that I thought was awesome. Now it's just some dumb cow shaped island. You probably got hammered from all directions to do this unfortunately. But your early drafts were way more original and cooler imo.

Click image to enlarge.

Agreed. The cow concept was a bit corny, but better than the island.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby DiM on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:01 pm

natty dread wrote:So beals, when are you going to make a cow map for majcom? ;)

best post this evening :lol:

PS: that being said, i don't see how a cow disguised as an island is any better than what we had before.

if somebody makes a map about a vomit island with corn archipelago and puke seas, will that be quenched? (assuming graphics/gameplay are good)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:11 pm

I think the island needs to be a bit more natural in shape, the cow shape shouldn't be so obvious. It should look more like an island that just resembles a cow... kind of like when you watch at clouds and you're like "hey, that cloud is shaped like a cow". That sort of thing.

And also, you need to introduce the story element. If there's a population of cows fighting over this island, then the gameplay and graphics should also reflect that.

Postby perchorin on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:38 pm

This is some straight up BS here. What the hell is that stupid Christmas map but a picture of a tree and some presents???
Where's the "war and conquering" there? The original cow map was really cool and creative. "Cow Island" is just dumb (no offense to dana intended). Heads need to be pulled out of asses on this quick.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:43 pm

perchorin wrote:What the hell is that stupid Christmas map

That is a map that didn't go through the foundry process. The way I see it, it's not a "real" CC map.

Postby DiM on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 pm

perchorin wrote:This is some straight up BS here. What the hell is that stupid Christmas map but a picture of a tree and some presents???
Where's the "war and conquering" there?

that's not a foundry product. ;)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby perchorin on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 pm

natty dread wrote:

That is a map that didn't go through the foundry process. The way I see it, it's not a "real" CC map.

But presumably the people who are saying "cow" is unacceptable are the same people who approved/made "christmas" correct? Why the double standard?
Major perchorin

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:46 pm

perchorin wrote:But presumably the people who are saying "cow" is unacceptable are the same people who approved/made "christmas" correct?

Incorrect.

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Anyway, perchorin, if you want to debate about the foundry guidelines or the decisions of CA:s or other foundry staff, please take it to the foundry discussions forum. This is a map thread and is only for discussion about this map project, not about the decisions made by the foundry staff.

Postby IcePack on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:52 pm

the cow cut map was much more appealing to me then a cow shaped island...

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby DiM on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:59 pm

perchorin wrote:
natty dread wrote:

But presumably the people who are saying "cow" is unacceptable are the same people who approved/made "christmas" correct? Why the double standard?

funny you should say that. fact is the same people that are objecting to this map being made are also constantly protesting towards secretly made maps (like the christmas map) ;)
Major DiM

Postby perchorin on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:00 pm

natty dread wrote:Anyway, perchorin, if you want to debate about the foundry guidelines or the decisions of CA:s or other foundry staff, please take it to the foundry discussions forum. This is a map thread and is only for discussion about this map project, not about the decisions made by the foundry staff.

ViperOverLord wrote:
RjBeals wrote:wow, just checking this thread after some time away, and sad to say that we lost the cuts of beef map that I thought was awesome. Now it's just some dumb cow shaped island. You probably got hammered from all directions to do this unfortunately. But your early drafts were way more original and cooler imo.

Click image to enlarge.

Agreed. The cow concept was a bit corny, but better than the island.

I'm discussing this map, in the thread used for the discussion. Version "A" (Cow) is much better than Version "B" (Cow Island) and regardless of whether one group of people is responsible for the Christmas map and another group for whateverthehell you consider a "real CC map" doesn't make a lick of difference to me. "Christmas" is a map on this site and if it's allowed than there is absolutely no reason "cow" should not be.
DiM wrote:
perchorin wrote:
natty dread wrote:

funny you should say that. fact is the same people that are objecting to this map being made are also constantly protesting towards secretly made maps (like the christmas map) ;)

quite true!
Major perchorin

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm

perchorin wrote:I'm discussing this map, in the thread used for the discussion. Version "A" (Cow) is much better than Version "B" (Cow Island) and regardless of whether one group of people is responsible for the Christmas map and another group for whateverthehell you consider a "real CC map" doesn't make a lick of difference to me. "Christmas" is a map on this site and if it's allowed than there is absolutely no reason "cow" should not be.

There's plenty of reasons, and those reasons have been posted over and over in this thread and others. Just read back a few pages.

Either way, there's no point in complaining here that you want to see the (original) cow map made. The decision has been made that it's not going to be, and if you disagree with this, you can take it up to foundry discussions and let those who want to give some constructive feedback to this map project do so in peace.

Postby greenoaks on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Battle for Cow Island is something i'd expect from some of those other sites.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:23 am

While I find this more visually appealing than the butcher version, it still doesn't work as a map. You essentially took a flawed layout and gave it a new skin. That shape just doesn't work. It doesn't look like a fun space to play in.

However, I do find this more appealing. Even though its a "quick sketch", I love the hand drawn look. If you could get past the cow shape and come up with a interesting gameplay scheme and refine that basic look, you'd have a solid map.

Have you thought about just doing a "farm" map? That could be an interesting map with a lot more going on it. Cows could be prominent along with other stock and crops. Lots of gameplay possibilities with that.

$.02
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas